THIS JUST IN: A Dangling Baby Panda

Or rather, this just out, because the San Diego Zoo announced yesterday that Yun Zi, its five-month-old panda cub, makes his public debut today.  Yun Zi, which means “son of cloud,” clowned around for press photographers on Wednesday.  See more pics here, and you can also try to spot him on the zoo’s PandaCam.

Comments

1. “HALPS!”
    I will save the baby panda, only if I get to snuggle with him afterwards!!!

2. eastiegirl says:

Love that first pic! Pandas are awesome.

3. Peekaboo panda!

Don’t fall, little Yun Zi! (We are dangling too, in suspense!)

4. GingerBean says:

aaaaaaaahhh! Panda Cams! Many a wasted hour have I spent watching Panda Cams. Must…not…bookmark…..

5. i missed him by just a couple of weeks. i was at the zoo on 12/26. :(

6. eep!
    is there ANYTHING cuter? I don’t think so.

7. p.s. it was a reeeaallly bad idea to click on the pandacam link. holy crap. now I’ll never get any work done…

8. AHHHHHHHH… hold on there, buddy!

~Dan

9. *takes out stick and pokes him to make baby fall*
    Here you go, right into my arms, Hon.

10. Chiming in here! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that is cute!
    Theresa- stinkin’ or STINKIN’?!

11. Oh. My. God. There needs to be a warning on this! I coulda died from the qte. And that’s without even opening the panda cam link. Do I dare?

12. The little clawsies! *falls over ded*

13. GingerBean says:

Rachel, don’t do it! Unless you want to get hooked and accomplish nothing else for the rest of your day. It’s really addictive. They sleep alot but when they’re awake you can’t tear your eyes away…so you watch and wait for those few minutes when they wake up and ham it up for the camera…

14. Andi from NC says:

Isn’t there a CO rule about the head:body ratio?? Surely he qualifies – you go “Son Cloud”!!

15. Second pic = ENH!! So adorable.

I work at the Smithsonian and our panda cam stops visitors dead. in. their. tracks. Soooo adorable.

16. Oh no!! I clicked!!! AND it’s BAMBOO time!!!

17. 260Oakley says:

Look! A dangling pandaciple!

18. My office has blocked Panda Cam, knowing full well the power of bebeh Pandas. All the more reason for me to head out early, avoid the impending doom of snow hitting Chi Town and watch from home.

19. LOL at Oakley!

20. resriechan says:

@ Katrina:

I would suggest “STAN-kin'”!!!

21. @ Theo – So sorry. I submitted the same post twice by mistake. Both of which are awaiting moderation. Sorry to repeat myself!

[Already fixed, right? - Ed.]

22. can you say ‘large head-to-body ratio’?? Kewtultimate.

23. He doesnt need help hes shimmying…or stop looking an heellp me.

24. I saw the video and he fell off the branch shortly after the second photo. OH SOMEONE NEEDS A SNORGLING!

25. I love how if you’re a CO afficionado, you will recognize the hovertext on the first photo!!! Love it!

26. ScoutsMom says:

Hang in there, baby!

27. metsakins says:

Gasp! The big head! The big head! I dare not click the cam.

28. his giant head is obviously unbalancing him.

29. SillyGirl says:

So I clickied on the link to see more pics of the behbeh and you can rate the pics….rating scale is “not cute” to “cute overload”!!!!!

30. Here’s a video of his adorable widdle debut today:

31. elledoubleyou says:

Been watching this one on pandacam since he was born. It’s amazing how fast they grow!

32. Awwww I’m having panda overload. Been lots of panda behbehs lately and they’re so snuggleable!

33. hang in there baby

34. Eh, I think it’s just some midget in a panda suit. Nothing could possibly be that cute.

35. @ Kristabelle – I was thinking the very same thing!!

“What’re ya doing? Wheeeeeeeeee”

…must find that post again…

36. Ahhhhh….Yeah, that really hit the spot!

37. Mew Mew Mew I has cute says:

NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    PS. NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    x3 ykwim

38. No, this not real panda. This toy panda, or ok yes midget in panda suit …pant pant…. Flummoxed, flummoxed: CUTE OVERLOAD HAPPENING HERE!!! Argggghhhhhhhh!!!!

39. OMG! Tomorrow’s productivity has officially left the building and been replaced by Panda Cam.

40. BEEP!

41. GIANT HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Katrina: Absolutely REEKING!!!!!

43. PPS Yay hovertext reffing Marnie the Indian ringneck!

44. dr. berthaservant says:

It’s a cub of two strong colors,
    On a now late afternoon,
    As the sun shines through the foliage
    And shadows wash the room.
    And we sit and hang from branches
    Couched in our great cuteness,
    Like shells upon the shore
    You can hear the ocean roar
    And a dangling baby panda
    Trying to hide despite his size
    The buttons are his eyes….

45. Dr Bertha that is WONDERFUL!

46. Suzanne – Does your office employ a Katy Killjoy, who’s job it is to surf the net and put a block on anything the employees might find enjoyable?
    I am at home at the moment (it’s 5am) and I’ve watched the video and looked at the photos, with a big silly smile on my face throughout.
    Oh well its nearly time to go out and risk life and limb, walking on the snow that has turned into an ice sheet, waiting for a bus that may turn up then a train that’s probably running half an hour late. Oh the joys of an English winter, when we have a bit of snow. Anyway it’s nearly the weekend and I can choose whether I go out or stay in the warm.

47. doomchild says:

I… I… Does anybody know if there’s any treatment for “cute-induced coma”?
    I might need one.
    No hurry, tho… I’m in my happy place.

48. Hon Glad, you really did sound pretty English just then. ;)

49. @Kristabelle and Jill: PEEEEEEEEEEK-aboo!

50. RE: The weather we seem to be having on BOTH SIDES of the Atlantic:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
    Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.”

51. DewiCasgwent says:

Clearly photo 1 was when He first went out and was shocked by all the peeps going awwwwww at the same time, luckily He soon recovered and carried out playing

52. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww *_*

53. Theresa – I am a quite an English English man. I find myself using phrases such as
    “How absolutely gahstly”

54. Is there a cute rule about head-to-body-size? If not, there should be!

55. 260Oakley (#17) does not disappoint. Ever. :D

56. @Hon Glad, there are other types of Englishmen, however– I am one of the very few Amurrrkins who know this. There are, for example, the ones who say ‘EH BAH GOOM.” ;)

57. Just checked out the video, really cute. The mom is cute too. Love the way she hits the ball to get food. They are cute not matter what they are doing. Great sight will have to show my son.

58. MissKitty says:

awww <3

I just tuned into the cam… There's some very cute sleeping in a tree going on.

59. Anerable earlet alert!

60. Theresa – I live in south London or as the locals would say sarf Lunnun. They use the glottal stop, which means ” I hate him and he hates me” becomes “I ate im an ee ates me”

61. Would that be the Eliza Doolittle accent?

62. Panda Cam? Panda Cam!!! **rushes to share link with Facebook friends & relatives**

Dr. Berthaservant – love the poem.

63. @Hon Glad, that’s the “glo**al” stop, no? ;)

I live in Brooklyn, New York, which is supposedly one of the wellsprings of a certain variety of regional American English– but the really exaggerated Brooklyn accents seem to have migrated to Long Island, Staten Island and New Jersey.

64. PS Once when I was in the UK, I took a bus from London to Hull (or ‘Ull). The friendly Cockney driver asked each of us where we were going and where we were, from as we boarded. A lady in front of me told him she was going to Doncaster, and he playfully asked “WHAT FOR!??” She got all huffy, and said “I LIVE there!!”

65. Hes a ruff houser!

66. (PandaCam, 1427 hours pacific time)
    Panda seems to be sleeping in my basement.

67. dr. berthaservant says:

(h/t Simon and Garfunkel, by the way)

68. Patito EN LA CASA!!!

69. Tu no me vistas aqui.
    (los shifty ojos)

70. Mello_Keehl says:

The hanging panda looks rather like he belongs on the show Yo Gabba Gabba o.o

71. emmberrann says:

@DrBerthaserv: Cool poem. HNY.

Are panda-bebehs not just the essence of the Qte? I wish I could get close enough *ehn* to nom just a leettle teensy bit of his fuzziness, or mebbe just a weensy snorgle…….
    A girl can dream, can’t she? *sigh*

72. All this hanging Panda, makes me think of hanging chads. We was robbed!

73. I’ve been loving that Pandacam!

74. Awe! What a darling baby panda bear! Pandas are my favorite animal! :D

75. Whoa that is too cute~~

76. OMG! I love polar bears soo much!

77. poor panda i would keep him and run away

78. resriechan says:

@ Patito Gigante:

Mais oui, je vous vois — c’est tres facile, a vous voir!!!

(et….. pendant que je ne comprends pas **beaucoup d’espagnole***…..je peut comprendre cette phrase…)

Je m’excuse, pour vous embarrasser comme ca, mais……c’est la vie, non?