Rule of Cuteness #44: Ears at 9 and 3 o’clock are cute

Sender-inner Amy S. and her cat Sebastian bring us our last new Rule of Cuteness for 2009:  If your ears point at 9 and 3 o’clock, you’re cute.  And if your ears point at 10, 2 and 4 o’clock, it’s time for a brisk, refreshing Dr Pepper!

Comments

1. This kitty is definitely cute around the clock!
    While “9 and 3″ is precious, I’m still a huge fan of “11:15″ ears and “7:05″ ears (à la http://www.thinkthinks.com/wf/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dog-ears-cocked.jpg )

[leenk fixenated. - Mike]

2. Oops. Here’s the 7:05 ears.

3. Huh. When I was a kid I used to chug Dr. Pepper every day, but I’d never heard of the 10, 2, 4 thing until today.

P.S. Isn’t there, or didn’t there used to be, a rule of cuteness about having a “fivehead” (i.e.., extra big forehead)? ‘Cause I think this kitten has one.

4. Love the link! Cute kitteh, cute puppeh!

5. Me think owner is squeezing to hard the head is going to pop off!

6. ahhhhhhh, so cute! It looks so cuddly!

7. cute!

8. catloveschanel says:

I use Sebastian on my hair, almost every day.

9. Did Winston get out of the house and meet up with a lady friend a few months back? Or is the idea of Winnie offspring too scary to contemplate?! :-)

10. If you ever visit Roanoke, VA, 10, 2, and 4 will be permanently engraved in your memory.

Roanoke, Virginia's famous Neon Dr. Pepper sign!!

Their theme song also ended with “It’s Dr. Pepper time”. Thanks for the earworm, NTMTOM – I think. I had to look the lyric up but I remembered more than I thought I did.

Everyone’s drinking Dr Pepper
    distinctively different Dr Pepper
    Not a cola, not a root beer
    A light and lively taste that you’ll cheer
    [interlude]
    Everyone’s drinking Dr Pepper
    distinctively different Dr Pepper
    C’mon join in, the flavor’s fine
    It’s Dr Pepper time

Before you ask:

1) I’m old. 2) I am from southwest VA. 3) My brain is full of weird stuff.

11. catloveschanel says:

I did not realize that DR Pepper and this kitteh: “Solves All Your Problems.” (used in Europe)

12. Um, not to be too literal-minded, but if your ears point at 10, 2, and 4, don’t you have an extra ear someplace? And isn’t that a bit too worrisome to be solved even by a distinctively different soft drink?

[Hehehe :lol: - Ed.]

13. STINKIN’!!!!!1111

14. catloveschanel says:

Most informative BB/VA

15. My kitty is named Sebastian, and she approves of this post. Yes, Sebastian is a she. Shhh…stop laughing or she’ll hear you! :P

Also, this just proves what I have been telling all my geek friends: Yoda is cute.

16. @ catloveschanel -I was hoping to get rid of the earworm that NTMTOM installed, but no luck.

17. catloveschanel says:

Ima Pepper,
    youra pep-pah,
    shes a pep-ah,
    weeze a pep-ah,
    wouldn’t ya like to be a pep-pa too.
    (keeps looping through my brain)

18. kibblenibble says:

Sebastian looks sleepy. Any second now…*honk-shu…honk-shu*

19. the bug man says:

It is also Officially Cute when your head sits atop someone’s hand like a scoop of ice cream on a cone.

20. Despite the enormity of little Sebastian’s noggin, clearly, he is a teensy little thing to be completely hidden in the palm of a hand! He is beyond adorable. Love the new rule too.

21. Forget where the ears are pointing, the ear fuzzitude is killing me!

22. dr. berthaservant says:

I have never been able to drink Dr. Pepper after someone told me it was prune flavored soda. Don’t know why.

oh, yeah, KITTEH!!!

23. Actually Dr Pepper has no period in its name.

[Fixed, and thanks. And I even remember reading that part of the article, but absent-mindedly typed "Dr." correctly. (I hate it when marketers mess with language this way.) -- Mike]

24. I’ve never tasted Mountain Dew because when I was a child I asked an adult acquaintance what it tasted like and he said it tasted like sweat.

25. DaytimeDeb 12.30.09 at 12:38 pm

Bebeh Winnie would be totally AWESOME.

But I think he and Rudy are fixed. Or a couple. Either way, no bebeh Winnie.

Sebastian is prosh, though!!!

26. AuntieMame says:

dr. b, it’s not the prune juice I mind in Dr Pepper. It’s the licorice flavor. Pleh!

And my ears are kinda at 9 and 3, too, but they’re not pointy and fuzzy. Maybe that’s why they’re not as cute as Mr. Fivehead Fuzzehpants’ ears are.

27. AuntieMame – I’m with you – dislike licorice greatly. I always thought Dr P was carbonated cough syrup.

Mountain Dew – I was addicted to that in HS. Can’t touch the stuff now.

[stealing baby kitty and running to Snickerdoodle Lounge to cuddle]

28. catloveschanel says:

@BB/VA – I don’t drink it, I just sing it!
    All Day Now!, thanks Mike!

29. I love Dr Pepper flavored crap, like lip balm and jelly bellies, but the actual drink leaves a horrible, bitter aftertaste in my mouth that completely ruins it for me.

I’ll take a cupful of Sebastian over Dr Pepper any day.

30. Dear Dr. Berthaservant–Wow–that makes complete sense. My grandma, rest her soul, always had bottles of prune juice and Dr Pepper in her fridge. She, um, enjoyed being regular.

31. Alice Shortcake says:

Winston and Rudy a couple? That had never occurred to me. Now I can’t get it out of my mind…

32. teeny-tiny nosey beep!

33. Wow – this rule applies to Maru, too!

34. I always called this “airplane ears.”

35. Mew Mew Mew I has cute says:

SQUUEEEEEEEEEE

36. Now THAT’S a cute baby!

37. DaytimeDeb says:

Winnie and Rudy, sittin’ in a tree
    P-U-R-R-I-N-G
    First comes love, then comes commitment ceremony
    Then comes Sebastian from the fertility specialist and gestational surrogate…

(sorry, nothing rhymes with ‘commitment ceremony’ Stoopid anti-marriage laws.)

38. @Amy S. :D I would just LOVE to CUDDLE and KISS your dear sweet kitty, Sebastian :D

39. Where ever you get these, I want three!

Just look’it those groggy li’l eyes! And that cute li’l nose! Squee! xD

40. Dreamspinner Cheryl says:

“Peach pits and prune juice”. My mom’s take on Dr Pepper. She was NOT a fan!!

[She was also misled. - Ed.]

41. May I just say D’AWWWWW!!!! He looks so adorably unfocused!
    (P.S.–Is there a Rule about disproportionate limbs being Qte? E.G., Corgyn, kittayns, fawns, moose, flamingos, etc.? I know we have teh Rule of Stubbularuty, but could that also not be extended to uber-long legs relative to body are Qte?)

42. resriechan says:

I REALLY DON’T mind starting an entirely new commentroversy for this lil’ fuzzy guy/ gal……
    izzit a SCOTTISH FOLD kitteh????

And @ Blondie …..something is ticklin’ ma memoire, about one of your notes….
    “Can’t touch” [this]………………………………….

43. Queen of Dork says:

Daytime Deb: Great song! Hahahahaha!
    I agree with those on here who don’t like Dr Pepper or licorice. Yuck.

44. Not a Dr Pepper fan, either. Now this kitten, I am a fan of. Love the way the guy has his hands cupped around the kitteh…as if it’s going to dribble out betwwen his fingers!

45. the bug man says:

I’m currently addicted to Dr Pepper (sp?), but haven’t been able to touch Mountain Dew since I learned that it contains brominated vegetable oil.

46. elledoubleyou says:

Actually there is no prune juice in Dr Pepper:

47. The only Dr pepper Ad I’ve seen, was ‘Dr Pepper so misunderstood’., it was on a Directors showreel that I saw when I worked in the TV department of an Ad Agency.
    I have to say that Dr Pepper one of the few carbonated drinks I like, though I am an infrequent buyer of “Fizzy” drinks. When I was a nipper I liked Dandelion and Burdock, however I am sure the drink cotnained no extract of either plant.

48. resriechan says:

oh wow I guess I’m determined to be controversial tonight.

Will I be drummed out of CO membership if……………………………

I *ADMIT* that (i really do enjoy Mtn Dew….even if I know
    that its color can be said to resemble something that one wouldn’t usu drink ………….and that its ingredients…..are perhaps not the healthiest of vitamins, minerals or herbs??)…

(runs off to the farthest “corner” of Earth, a spherical planet with no corners….)

49. resriechan says:

(can I regain any street cred, if I state that my screensaver is a pic of Maru, upside down, belleh vulnerable/ exposed, enjoyin’ a snooze, with a smile on his face????)

(yipes.)

50. Queen of Dork says:

Well, I think Mountain Dew TASTES okay, but I’ve heard somewhere that it has like 57-1/2 times more caffeine that 20 cups of coffee so I thought maybe I shouldn’t drink it as I can be prone to the high blood pressure thing. :)

[Mountain Dew tastes like Mountain Dew, which is to say, it appeals to the 13-year-old palate. Good for nostalgia and staying up really late to play video games with your buddies. And regular coffee out of the French press still has it beat for caffeine content. - Ed.]

51. Queen of Dork says:

*runs to farthest corner of Earth and entices Res back with a cool glass of Kool-Aid*

52. Mew Mew Mew I has cute says:

Please peeps do not focus on teh dr. peppeh….focus on teh kitteh eaws!!! Tehe ykwim

53. Queen of Dork says:

the bug man: I wonder how do they brominate vegetable oil? :)

Okay, my mind’s silly-o-meter has tipped into overdrive. I’m off to bed.

54. Daphne Moss says:

LOL@ Bugman:
    Berthaservant, that is one adorable kitteh…very like my much-missed Puffy. A Maine Coon?

55. DaytimeDeb says:

Resriechan, are you an engineer by any chance? My old office was trying to offer “healthy” options for food and drink, so soft drinks were going to be given the boot. Except the software engineers live on Mtn. Dew, and threatened to revolt if their only choices were vitamin water or an organic version of V8. Since the company would come to a screeching halt if the engineers weren’t properly fueled, the soft drinks were granted a reprieve. I should note they would not have done that if it was our marketing dept making the stink. In fact, our fuel of choice, M&Ms, did disappear. Dilbert is alive and well.

56. *sits with her chin resting on her hands watching the ever so vibrant and eclectic discussion on CO*

I learn so much by being here!! Not only do I learn a whole other language, but I also learn about science, corners of the earth (on a spherical planet), brominated vegetable oil, engineers, and even have room for Dilbert!!! Who needs that college degree? I have you!!!!

57. Sorcha the cat says:

Many years ago in my semi-pro performing crowd, we used HOT Dr Pepper as a cure for a cold/sore throat. It does work. It works even better with a shot of bourbon in it.

58. @Sorcha – there used to be ads with the recipe for hot Dr Pepper (heat, pour over lemon slices, drink). I tried it once, back in elementary school – all I can say about that is don’t forget the lemon slices!!

OTOH, maybe with the bourbon the lemon slices don’t matter so much…

59. Resriechan says:

@ Daytime Deb:

wow. nope not even close to being an engineer but my heart is warmed by the revolution for their Mountain Dew. Ain’t that the ‘Mericun way? While I’m not proud of my addiction to the juice, I can just see Al Pacino now in the Film Adaptation:

“Y’all get outta this office, witcher fancy brominated gobbledygook!!! We don’ need no STANKIN’ dang V8!!! I gotcher vitamin water raht HEAH!!!!”

Signed,
    on my SAT’s I did usu. get over 95 %tile scores on the vocab/ grammar/composition/ comprehension segments.

I just used red crayons to draw bunnies when they tested my Algebra skills.

60. My late grandmother used to love hot Dr Pepper with lemon. I’ve been afraid to try it as an adult, at the risk of exploding into a helpless shrapnel of sad nostalgia.

I remember the 10, 2, 4 ads. And I remember when Diet Dr Pepper had a BLUE label. And came in glass bottles, by cracky.

61. I would like to second the “ice cream cone” notion. Either that, or establish a rule that states, “If your body can be hidden in one or both of a human’s hands, it’s cute.”

But please also consider the: “Being held in a manner that makes your head look like a scoop of ice cream is cute.”

62. DaytimeDeb says:

Resriechan, trying to picture our engineers as being portrayed by Al Pacino…. not even Mtn Dew spiked with vodka can make me picture that! Not a one of them. Nope.

And I was right there with you, using a green crayon during my algebra testing. Much to my father’s, the high school math teacher, chagrin. He would laugh now, however, whenever I create excel spreadsheets. It’s all algebra. At least I can tell kids today that yes, as long as there are corporate bean counters, they WILL be using Algebra in their adult life. Yes, even for the marketing types. Just bring your own M&Ms.

But I digress…. Kitten still cute!!

63. Cute Kitteh.
    I loved Dr Pepper years ago, But then I also loved White Birch Beer, Root Beer, Sarsparilla, the Verner’s ginger soda from Detroit and that grapefruit soda-Fresca and yes, and the Tom Collins Mix without the booze.
    I have never liked any cola flavor at all. The topper was when the Polio vaccine was cola flavored. Ughhgh.
    Cute Kitteh-love the earsiieis-tiiiiiiny Yoda baby?

64. elledoubleyou says:

@Katrina: I hear ya! I hate orange flavored candy because it reminds me of the orange-flavored aspirin or Tylenol or whatever I had to take when I was sick. I also don’t like 7-Up unless mixed (7 and 7!) since the only time I ever had that was when I had the stomach flu.

65. Queen of Dork says:

Katrina: Grapefruit?! Is THAT what flavor Fresca was supposed to be? My dad used to drink that soda when I was kid. My sister and I had a bunny at the time who we named Fresca.

66. I already knew I had a huge internet crush on NTMTOM but this post makes me think NTMTOM is my internet soulmate. He’s a Pepper. I’m a Pepper. I have the 10, 2 and 4 tattoo to prove it.

67. Oh, baby kittens are my weakness!

68. he’s a pronoun she’s a pronoun were a pronoun wouldn’t you like to be a pronoun too

69. resriechan says:

@ QoD: cool story…cool name for a bunny!!

Did the bunny approve, or disapprove of the name? Or do they disapprove of everything except lettuce & carrots?

70. Queen of Dork says:

He disapproved of his name, me, my sister, my mom and dad, the planet, our house, my socks and shoes, HIS socks and shoes, the trees, the grass, my sister’s dress, my mom’s purse, dad’s car…….

71. Queen of Dork says:

……the back yard, thunder and lightening, wind, my dolls, hats of any sort, my room, holidays, television, radio, walls, paper, aluminum foil, ovens, all appliances, couches, knitting, my friends, HIS friends, the word friends, words, dictionaries, cats, bugs, things…but he did like his food.

72. resriechan says:

(at the risk of repeatin’ myself from many times before………….but I don’t much mind takin’ that risk)

“BWA HA” &
    “ha” also (please repeat 25 times or so. Thank you)

(PS; “That were funnois!!”)

73. resriechan says:

(on further consideration, I have a follow-up question………………
    the DICTIONARY??????)

74. Queen of Dork says:

….all books including the dictionary, rubber bands, rubber duckies, rock bands, rock and roll, pieces of lint, silverware, desks, soap, tape, blenders, things that go in blenders, slippers, cups, toenail clippers, picture frames, pictures IN picture frames, pictures NOT in picture frames, candy, cookbooks, puzzles, board games, bowls of homemade soup, chimneys, chimney sweeps, stuff……

75. Queen of Dork says:

I think that’s about it. He was kind of hard to please. Oh, and coyotes.
    The End.

76. resriechan says:

(snerk AND giggle)

(double snerk)

77. Felicityanne says:

Have I missed it, or has nobody yet said…YODA?

78. Sophie Sofasaurus says: