This Just In: Pampered Kitten Distrusts Nooks, Crannies

King of Prussia, PA – Bengal kitten, Champion Tippy-Toes McWhispersons (street name: Chuck), got the surprise of his life when he awoke to find himself stranded on a crochet throw.

Never setting foot on anything less than Frette, Chuck was obviously dubious of shabby chic. Frozen in place, Chuck uncomfortably sat in fear that these weird indentations would throw him off-balance, should he dare stick a paw out.

Surrounded by this sea of suspicious fibers, Chuck took matters into his own paws. He stared at it and willed it to transform into his beloved soft, velvet smoking jacket.

That’s one brave kitten, Katia.

Comments

1. the creature has the biggest head-to-body ratio i’ve ever SEEN!

2. what a lovely kitten

3. lizboeder says:

cutest thing I have ever seen in my life *ded* but happy

4. AWE, all alone? Needs a cuddle buddy!

5. Aw, he’s cute! [not that I've ever seen in an uncute kitten before...]

6. I dare you to find a cuter kitten than a bengal.

7. skippymom says:

The baby tiger, and now this. I feel my life force draining away.

8. Such a pretty kitty!!! Such lucky owners!!

9. It’s the Clash of The Titans all over again. Look around Chuck, there’s got to be some magical items for your quest around somewhere! Or at least a crumudgenly but soft hearted theater guy to mentor you.

10. There is a specific breed of cat, it only gets to be about 4 lb. I forget what it is called, but they are supposed to be the smallest breed of cats. They are so pretty. Can anyone help me out with the name of the breed?

11. metsakins says:

It could be worse, he could have found himself on a COMFY chair.

12. skippymom says:

metsakins, On a comfy chair, surrounded by SOFT CUSHIONS!

13. With doilies

14. skippymom says:

Oh Dear God, no, not DOILIES!!!!!!!!

15. And an afghan!!

16. MissKitty says:

He’s all head! Adorrrrable!! <3

17. AWW. Poor little kitty. On a mere crocheted cotton spread instead of the velvet. Ah, well, we must all make sacrifices in this recession, I daresay.

18. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

I hope nobody serves that kitteh an English Muffin, then!

19. I’m not sure what’s more deadly, those stripey legs or that oversized muzzlepouch. I hope that he can grow into those.

20. BeckyMonster says:

NTMTOM, I was waiting to SEE an English Muffin when I scrolled down to view the picture. Color me disappointed! Nothing is scarier than marmalade (the jelly, not the kitty)

21. the 2nd pic is EPIC GIANT HEAD SYNDROME.

22. ummmm, it’s not crocheted–it’s just woven in different patterns. If it were crocheted, Mr. McCutersons would be getting his claws stuck in the holes between stitches, instead of trying to navigate over indentations.

(not nuffing–just a purist when it comes to textiles)

And I want the kitten.

23. Chuck can just sit in my lap for the rest of his life…then he will not be bothered by unsuitable textiles. [And really loved the line "obviously dubious of shabby chic."] So funny.

24. skippymom says:

And how does he feel about crooks and nannies?

25. Andi from NC says:

I hope the rest of him never grows into his head – he’s too perfect the way he is!!

That isn’t to say I want him to be unhealthy, I’d just like to see his head:body ratio stay a little greater than average.

26. Argyle Donkeypants says:

The landscape on Planet Duvet is monochromatic, almost austere. There is something about the atmosphere here that makes my head appear half again as large as my body. Of course, that could be the catnip-sunbeam combination talking. Perhaps if I yield to this strong urge to nap, all will be right when I awaken. ::insert honk-shus::

27. Dear me, what a lovely, immense head!. I must snorgle eet!

28. What debg said.

Plus, cute kitten!

Sincerely,
    Yet another fiber purist artist. :D

29. don’t catch a teenie weenie claw in those nasty loops!

30. @Kristen – boy, you said it. I have never seen a kitten that wasn’t outrageously adorable, cute beyond belief, and worthy of a ticker tape parade for just walking on wobbly kitten-legs in my direction.

Even so, this is an exceptionally cute series of pix, and I volunteer to provide a velvet throw and matching pillow for His Adorableness. Heck, I’ll even use my good crystal to hold his catnip. That sweet face could make me do anything!

31. Kitteh makes the laborious trek through Fisherman’s knit valley to the nearby food dish, dodging sunbeams all the way: Chuck might make it by lunch-time, barring any unforeseen obstacles, like couch pillows….!

32. so many stripes for such a little kitteh. i want to smooch everyone of them. oh and must do a dainty *BEEP* on the third pic.

33. “Never setting foot on anything less than Frette” – I lol’ed. Somebody has been spending a lot of quality time at the King of Prussia Mall, especially at the newly high-end Plaza side.

I have a kitteh-textile question: after my new kitteh ripped up my bedsheets, a friend said if I get something with higher thread count, it wouldn’t rip as easily. Is that true? I thought higher thread count means softer, not tougher.

34. What about crooks and nannies?

35. skippymom says:

jimmy–see #24, above. Beat you to it!

36. resriechan says:

“where’d [he/she] get THEM EYES???”

(unfocussed, ennyone???? THAT’s whut got me!!)

Signed,
    “Dedd”-er than a Doornail

37. @Argyle Donkeypants, another Red Dwarf reference? You slay me!!

As for the kitten, I must go look for my head now, it fell off upon viewing such prosh cuteness. *feels around for head*

38. BiscuitMamma says:

wuyizidi:
    Higher thread count is more expensive, for sure. Might withstand the mighty kitty claws. I’ve never had a kitty tear up my sheets before.
    But unless you really like snags, whatever you do, don’t get matelasse.

39. “INCOMING MESSAGE FROM THE BIG GIANT HEAD!”

40. Von Zeppelin says:

resriechan–Jeepers, creepers. . .

41. Peanutcat says:

LOL! His head’s so big he looks like he ought to flop over!

42. Queen of Dork says:

Don’t ever show Chuck waffles. He’ll be skeered!!!

43. @wuyuzidi, I think a higher thread count would be tougher AND softer, because the higher count means tighter weave, so it’s harder for kitten claws to get in there and grab hold. Matelasse is definitely out for a coverlet, as BiscuitMama says, unless you’re into snags. Microsuede does pretty well–all my upholstery is in it, and the fur comes off pretty well.

44. I’m going to beat T.U.M. to it:

tineetabbee
    tineetabbee
    tineetabbee

TINEETABBEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

(Srsly qte.)

45. fifthsonata says:

Do I see sleepy eye chubs on this adorable baby?

46. WAHT ARE YOu TRyING TO DO TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Last night– Joel the kitten on “The Closer.” Now- THIS. I AM LOSING MY VENEER OF CIVILIZATION!!!!!!!!!!!

47. Queen of Dork says:

*massages Theresa’s shoulders* (deep breaths, dear. deep breaths)
    *breathes with Theresa*

48. Hm… looks quite like one of my last fosters, and I also live in KOP, PA.

49. Queen of Dork says:

Chuck kind of has Cheetah-like markings on the sides of his pretty eyes. He’s all: “Im a Cheetah, I’m a Cheetah! (roowwwrrr).

50. Bebeh tabby looks disapproving…yet curious.

51. It’s not crochet.

[Yes yes, chenille, but kitten probably doesn't know that - Ed.]

52. Mrs. Catlabash says:

higher thread count means more threads per inch, so theoretically, yes, it should be tougher for kitties to claw holes in it. It will also be softer over many launderings than lower-thread count sheets, that’s why it’s considered more luxurious.

But truth be told, if kitties have sharp claws, they’ll end up clawing through even very fine sheets, even in the most innocent play. One swift swipe of a paw and there’s a rip in the linen, it’s inevitable. I know how it is, because my two are on our bed just about 24/7. If you regularly allow them on the bed, it would be a good idea to start giving them regular manicures and even trying out a product like Soft Paws. Actually, I don’t know if there is any other product like Soft Paws, so I guess I’m recommending Soft Paws. It takes a while to build up to a point where they are comfortable having their paws handled, but I managed it with two former ferals who started out not allowing any touching at all, on any part of their bodies, and we worked our way up to outfitting both of them with snazzy red claw caps. The Soft Paws don’t bother them at all, they can continue to carry on natural scratching behaviors, but now they can’t damage anything and they’re even allowed back into the living room. It’s been a fantastic solution.

53. AWW :D I would pick up that sweet little kitty :twisted: and run off with him for lots and lots of SNORGLEING, loving, and petting with lots and lots of feeding Chuck the kitten tasty kitten food :twisted:

54. I had a cat named Chuck once.

55. that is a real cutie

56. fifthsonata says:

@Mrs. Catlabash

Higher thread count definitely does NOT rip less easily than regular bed sheets. I purchased 1000ct bedsheets after seeing them on sale at a local mall, nearly flipping my lid at the awesome price, and they were ravaged.

Both of my kitties like to drag themselves along the sides of my bed, and none of my sheets were ever torn except the 1000ct sheets. Softer does not equal tougher, most definitely. I would think the higher thread count would increase the fragility of the fabric.

I trim their claws regularly as well – they still manage to destroy things.

57. fiber artist here, yes, higher thread count means tighter weave and stronger fabric.

Whether this means CatProof or not, is anyone’s guess. You may want to also consider trimming the claws and applying soft paws as well, while kitty learns APPROPRIATE locations for scratching.

58. Thanks for all the replies. Things are actually a lot better now. Within an hour of my bedtime, I play with her, then feed her one of her two daily meals. That way she’ll be in a sleepy mood as well. Now days most of time she just jump onto the bed and go directly to sleep. She also doesn’t do that to wake me now. She just waits until I show signs of being awake. Then it’s nonstop walking on the pillow, kneading the side of the ribcage, and headbutting the armpit. These days she’s going for distance and irritation :)

I’ll try soft paws and trimming. By the way, in terms of being cat proof, I think type of fabric may play a bigger role than thread count. She’s been clawing at my sofa for 6 months now and there’s no sign of damage.

59. Ze forehead! Eet begs for a KEES!

60. earlybird1 says:

AUUGHHHHH! The eyeliner on that one! Reminds me of the ancient Egyptian eyeliner in those old pictures. Adorabuhls!!

61. While everyone is distracted by all this threadcount talk, I’ll just scoop up that kitteh before they know what hit them. The adorabuhlnesses are almost unbearabuhls! *thud*

62. I have that same blanket! But alas, no big-headed kitteh to match. But I can confirm it’s neither crocheted nor chenille; just plain old woven cotton, possibly a Wal-mart special. But just wait until Chuck reaches the fringey ends!

[Chenille IS woven cotton. :pout: - Ed.]

63. BeckyMonster, I was expecting English Muffins, too. Made me hungry just thinking about it!

64. Teho: No need to pout! According to wikipedia, chenille is the French (frawnsch?) word for caterpillar and refers to the process of making it, not what it is made of. It CAN be cotton, but isn’t always. I always think of chenille as being super soft and fluffy, and my cheapie blanket is neither.

[Ah. Well. I suppose I was remembering the bedspread which my mom inherited from her mom, and that one was cotton, so... yeah. OK. - Ed.]

65. i just want to say that i am in awe of mrs. catlabash being able to put soft paws on her former ferals. god bless you for the time you must have spent with them. i also have a couple of former ferals, and there is no way in hayle they would ever let me handle their pawsies to that extent. of course, it might be due to the fact that i have 11 cats right now and that in addition to working full-time and having a full social life, i do need to sleep sometimes, and therefore don’t have as much time to spend with each one as they (and i) would like. however, they ALL know they are loved tremendously!

66. Catperson says:

I know what you mean, Chuck. I spend much of my day attacking the matlasse cover on my peoples’ bed. Darn scary stuff, but if you attack full force, you can defeat it! Good luck, Finnoula Himalaya (they call me “Noodle”)

67. resriechan says:

@ Theresa (hi teresa, too): have you recuperated???or are you still in the raving maniacal stage???

(winks at you affectionately to let you know it’s just in funnnnnnn)

68. I like plain old woven cotton blankets! Don’t fear the nubbins Chuck!

Whoa! Giant head! *clunk* (tips ovah)

would you just look at those tiny wisk- hairs!

69. PS Must be one FEROCE KITTEH to shred sheets! I’ve had lots of cats, and no sheet shredders!

70. PPS “sheet shredders shred sheets” <—- say 10 times fast

what is a Frette?

71. I love this stage of kitten development – can’t quite hold head upright, not sure that all four legs will cooperate, trouble focusing eyes, and the little stiff tail that won’t swish as nicely as mom’s.

72. @Paunchie – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frette

My cat shred the sheets when I go to bed at night and rise in the morning. She’s just doing what cats do in nature – being crepuscular (hunt during dawn and dusk). She would pounce, then hold the sheet in her mouth, and forcefully shake her head from side to side, as if trying to separate the cervical vertebrae.

73. I want a tiny tiger!

74. Katiedid 12.08.09 at 2:02 pm

Singapura

75. melynthea says:

ohhhh emmm geee look at that head to body ratio 0.o

76. Very Onion-y caption….

77. TracyFlick says:

kitten! so little. so pretty. congrats.

78. I want one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!