What’s Next on the List? Bo-Bo Ski Watten Totten?

Really? This is how you choose to spend our time? You have the rare opportunity of not only catching, but also holding a hummingbird, and you want to declare a thumb war?

According to sender-inner Hana O.: “My classmates discovered this young hummingbird who had fallen out of his nest and immediately a rescue team ensued! He was a bit of an inexperienced flier, but in the end he made his way back into his tree.”

Comments

1. I’ve never seen a hummingbird that still before…

2. So tiny! Awwww.

Be careful if you want to nom this bird. You might accidentally swallow heem (gulp!)

3. It looks like he’s about to be flicked!

4. Oh noes, it looks like the hand is ready to go- flick! (i had the opportunity to raise a bebeh hummer once, they’re as sweet as they look) Good Rescue! Yay !!!!!

5. ResQte tag!

this lil baby is totally annerable – I relly do want to nom it up. sigh…

6. Oh, beebee birdinghumm!!!

7. Thanks for the BOBOSKIWATTENTOTTEN earworm, Prongs

…this one dates back to my summers @ Camp Lenoloc, Bear Mountain, NY 1978 & 1979 LOL

8. LovesDogs says:

An itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny baby birdie — hummmmmmm! Love it.

9. georgina0912 says:

Oh wow, he is so tiny-itty-bitty-titty :O

So great that the kids were able to resq-te him. One more hummingbird that will fly away, and pollinate, and show psychedelic-crazy colors in the sun. We need more of them. Yes siree!

10. I like the little feets – approx. 1/200th the size of the hooman hand.

And look how the little feets are trying to grip that thumb! Sigh.

11. 260Oakley says:

Baby bird has a point. Feel free to hum along.

12. I think this one just might remember the words!

13. What a great experience for the rescuers! Such a teensy tiny teeny weeny bebeh birdie. Tweet tweet! <3

14. That is a real Humdinger you’ve got there!

15. Oh my GOSH!!!!!!!!! GEEV HEEM TO MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

16. Aw, great experience for class. Cute litte bird now that he sits still so you can see him. Love hummingbirds. Awesome save.

17. OMG so tiny and so delicate and lovely! I love the french name for them “Oiseau-mouche” it means Fly-bird doesn’t it fit perfectly these tiny little birds.

18. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

19. Hummingbirds nest in trees? Somehow I always thought that they spontaneously formed out of air and nectar, full grown and flapping like crazy.

20. I want to be on a bebeh hummingbird rescute team too!!

21. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY for Hana O and her classmates!!!!

22. victoreia says:

@Theresa: Take a deep breath. Now, take another. [patting her shoulder]

23. A hummingbird nest is something that’s qte enough to get its own post.. About 1/4 the size of a human fist, all soft with pine cone chips and whatever fuzzies/hair that the Mama Hummer can find. They look like just another knot in the branch, quite easy to miss. I saw one, and it was only the Mama Hummer’s little bobbing head that finally made me realize what it was.

And those feetsies! Did you know that a hummer can’t walk? If it wants to move 1/2″, it has to fly there.

24. Argyle Donkeypants says:

Finally! A small, fuel-efficient hummer.

25. @Argyle Donkeypants – LOL! Amen to that…

26. I rescued an adult hummingbird once that had flown into a cabin and was trying to fly out through the windows at the top of the A-frame. He was actually very calm after I grabbed him – probably tired – and hung out in my hand without struggling. He even sat on my hand for about 10 seconds after we were back outside. Unfortunately no cool pics like this.

The most amazing thing to me was just how light they are – he weighed almost nothing! It was like holding a hummingbird-sized cottonball.

27. So wonderful that the bebbeh was saved; I have read that they almost look like a bee when they’re drinking nectar at the flower; their little hearts beat so fast, it’s incredible. I think they have a shorter life-span, because they literally burn themselves out…

[Well yeah, their heart rates can be measured in Hz, rather than BPM - Ed.]

28. Love the URL! That’s what I thought the hand was doing at first, but then I realized they just didn’t know what to do with fingers because you obviously don’t need more than a thumb to hold a baby hummingbird.

29. I rescued a hummingbird once in our garage. Poor thing was just totally confused as to how to get out. It was the lightest and most fragile thing I have handled in a long time and no matter how many birds I have rehabed in the past that is my most memorable one – even though no rehabbing was involved the memory still stays with me.

30. @Sue: I didn’t know that. Can’t they at least ‘bounce’ around like a sparrow ? (I don’t see hummingbirds very often; in fact I don’t see them at all in these parts. Oh well.)

LOL Argyle D.

How many tunes can a hummingbird hum, if a hummingbird can hum tunes ?

31. @Victoreia, probably spent too much time with my almost-3-year-old niece. She’s as cute as this hummer, but she’s all Id.

32. “I rescued a hummingbird once in our garage. Poor thing was just totally confused as to how to get out. ”

My mom lives up in the mountains and has done this twice too. Garages: hummingbird hazard!

33. I adore hummingbirds. Love to watch them at the feeders outside my music room windows, although it makes concentration REAL hard! Sometimes sitting on my front porch they will hover in front of me as if trying to figure out what I am. I was sure sorry to see them go away for the winter.

34. Pleeeezzzze don’t flick him!!

35. My hubbub also rescued one from our garage. We have a side window and it was hurling itself against the glass, when it tired & sat down he scooped it up and carried it out.

P.S. Where I come from, it’s “bo-bo-ska-deeten-doten”. Earworm indeed!

36. very cute!! so tib=ny!! but that bird didn’t need saved. it was a fledgling. if it has no feathers put it back in the nest (and no mom can’t smell you) if it has feathers leave it alone. it’s having it’s flying lesson.

37. snoopysnake says:

My mother used to tell me about “Bo bo ski watten totten” (next line was sis boom bah) and how other people used to call the cheerleaders the “Bobo girls.” This was back in the 1930’s.

Cute hummer!

38. Shadowtiger says:

I was on campus and a young Anna’s Hummingbird fell out of a tree right in front of me. It was much to high for anyone to get him back into the nest, and I didn’t want the little guy to get stepped on, so I brought him home to the apartment (the wife’s response: why couldn’t you open the door yourselfOHMYGOODNESSIT IS SOOOO CUTE AND LITTLE!). We raise and breed rats, and had a spare aquarium sitting around unused, so I put fresh paper bedding in it and plunked the little guy in. He sat there, feathers floofed, and then when one of us moved, his head snapped back and his mouth opened.

Uh-oh…hungrybirdie. Fortunately, we have feeding syringes that were about the right size and I whipped up a batch of warm sugar water and fed the little fellow. Meanwhile my wife contacted a friend in the Biology department. It just so happens that they were conducting a multi-year study on the campus hummingbird population(!) and were willing to take the birdie off our hands to rehabilitate him–and a good thing, too, since hummingbirds are protected and it is technically illegal for most people to take them in even as rescues. We took a couple of photos of him sitting on my finger and getting fed, and off he went.

According to the friend, he was flying the next day–a victim of the parents punting him out of the nest a day or so too soon. Still, it was one of my first wildlife rescues and I treasure the memory of holding something in my large, sometimes clumsy-feeling hands a creature as light and delicate as a baby’s giggle.

39. Fantastic shot. Clearly loves posing.

I’m trying like heck to get some video of our hummies flying diagonally. They look ridic – like they’e moving up and down an escalator. Show offs.

40. they are my best friends every spring they come and i feed them 1 cup sugar 4 cups boiled water mix well and cool it complitley those little red plastic bottle from dollard place are good.i love them.

41. @AD #24 – I scared my cats when I laughed. Excellent.
    And 260Oakley – you are the pun-master.

Beep! [ouch] Beep! [ouch] Beep! [ouch] Beep! [ouch] demmit..

42. Mary (the first) says:

OMG Shadowtiger , “as light and delicate as a baby’s giggle”.. OMG

43. i found a site with phenomenal videos and pics… i love the video of the mama making a nest on the christmas lights with christmas music in the background…. i love their nests… looked like fuzzy wuzzy coconuts on the half shell, especially when the babies were grown and ready to leave the nest because you could hardly see the nest under their bums anymore ;)

i love hummingbirds :)

44. I’m with the first Mary. That was a great story until I got to that last line.

45. Queen of Dork says:

Shadowtiger: What a fantastic story you told and I love your analogy of a “baby’s giggle” I thought that was quite lovely!! Thank you!

Blondie: Beeb…ouch! He-he! I hope the tip of your finger isn’t too poked!

46. WendyPinNJ says:

O!!

M!!!

G!!!!

WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. WendyPinNJ says:

@Kathy, are you wearing red or any derivation thereof when the hover in front of you on your porch? If so, could be they’re hoping you’re something yummy to eat!

48. If you click on the picture, you can see a glorious close-up of deh teeny one. Such detail! And looking even cuter! *melts*

49. I have hummingbird feeders too.
    Factoids:
    1) If you have feeders, you need to keep them full. Hummies get dependent on the food source and they can starve to death really quickly.
    2) If one of my feeders goes dry, the birds will hover in front of the sliding glass doors, looking for us to come refill it.
    3) Hummies aren’t scared of anything. And they are very territorial. I’ve had them buzz me when I go near the feeders.
    I lurves my birdeez.

50. AWW :D I am so glad you and your classmates were able to help that little hummingbird, Hanna O :D Planting flowers that hummingbirds can feed from will help as an alternative to feeders :D From what I remember reading, the feeders for hummingbirds should be filled with a highly concentrated solution that is specially made for them :D

51. They don’t sing, but they make clicking noises! My yard is full of them, Neopatra is right, they have no fear. They are very curious, and will hover right in front of your
    face, then zoom off clicking away. When they are courting the males do death-defying dives in the air.

52. I’ve fed Anna’s hummingbirds all year round for many years now (they’re a resident species along the California coast). They’re the most incredible little guys, zooming straight past my head to the feeder, little iridescent streaks of fearlessness.
    Hearty congrats to Hana O. for saving this adorable little guy, and for sending in this photo.

As for feeding them, you really don’t need specialized solutions. 1 part plain white sugar (not confectioner’s sugar, that has cornflour) dissolved in 4 parts boiling water, then cool the water in the fridge. In fact commercial solutions (besides being more expensive) can be less healthy if they have red food coloring.

What you do need is cleanliness: if you wouldn’t drink out of your feeder yourself, it’s not fit for the birds. Always boil the water to kill germs, and clean the feeder in HOT tap water and dishwashing liquid or bleach, and rinse it in hot water afterwards till there’s no traces of cleaning agent. Clean and refill the feeder every week.
    To keep ants out, hang the feeder from an ant moat (basically a plastic cup you fill with oil). You can get ant moats wherever you buy feeders.

53. @LovesDog:

“An itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny baby birdie” on a feeenger.

Fixed that for you.

54. @Shadowtiger – Thanks for the awesome story (and the fabulous closing simile)!

55. I worked at a zoo where we kept rehabilitated hummers. Little did we know they hybridize like crazy, so we ended up with accidental chicks. Mom hummingbirds eat a ton of tiny insects, and this mom cleaned out our greenhouse. I thought to get pinhead crickets from the reptile department, but they don’t fly. So I took a strip of cheesecloth, draped one end in a cup of pinheads and held the other up about 18″. The tiny crickets would crawl up and mom would come and pick them off the cloth. Pretty quickly, she figured out she didn’t need to hover and would perch on my thumb or the cup to fill up. She also figured out that the little crickets were climbing all over my hands, so she would very carefully pick them out from under my fingernails. When I went into the greenhouse for any reason, she would buzz me and fly back and forth, looking into my eyes. I would hold my hands up to show her I had no bugs, and she would very carefully check my fingernails with her bill. It was one of the more amazing experiences of my life.

56. Resriechan says:

(wow — THAT Leslie has some seriously AMAZING experiences and knowledge under her belt/in her brain….BTW THAT is THAT Leslie, not this Resrie…..and “Boy, HOWDY” do I feel inadequate in animal rescue credentials for rescuing a couple of cats in my time……)

Signed,
    WOW (again, yet!!!)

57. What an amazing experience that would have been to hold a little hummer!

Hummers may be fearless, but I hear they are rather litigious and International Hummingbird Union has kept GM in court for years over the “Hummer” brand name, after using it for such an abomination of a vehicle. LOL! I kid, I kid! ;D

58. such cuteness!!
    Just a reminder that when a baby bird falls out the nest and has a full set of feathers and eyes open DO NOT TAKE IT HOME BECAUSE IT DOESN’T NEED RESCUING! (oh yes, i went all caps on you) they are called fledglings, and so many get kidnapped each year when in fact they are perfectly fine and mama is not far watching to make sure they learn to fly. She pushes them out to force them to learn!

[Yep. - Ed.]

59. OK, I can’t help myself since it’s been running through my head the last two days thanks to this post:

Mid-Missouri style –
    Bo bo ski aughten naughten nay nay I am a boo boo ennie mennie naught naught bo bo ski aught naught – woo bang!

I feel better.

60. If ya tap him on the head it starts the motor….tap..hmmmmmmmmmmm
    hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

61. This may be the cutest ultra-high tech picture ever. It is 1.61 megabytes, has a resolution of 1769×1447 (the most I’ve ever heard of) and was taken by a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT (never heard of it, but it is obviously top of the line).

It would be cute -and- cool to see, one day, a slow-motion video of one of these hummers on C.O. But the Qte element must take precedence.

62. Julia (the one in BC) says:

Just a couple of notes to add to the advice on feeding hummingbirds:

– Many hummingbirds overwinter rather than migrate, e.g. the Anna’s Hummingbird stays put in southern B.C. and the American Northwest. It can get cold up here, so this is the time to make sure your feeder is clean and well stocked. For God’s sake, don’t make the mistake of taking it in during the winter … during cold snaps, the birds may have nothing else to rely on! And ensure that the nectar doesn’t freeze by bringing it indoors overnight OR fixing a lit, weak (e.g. 5W) bulb underneath the base. (The freezing point is lower than for water; but once you hit -4 C or thereabouts, it WILL freeze solid… last winter’s cold snap being a case in point.) If you do bring the nectar indoors, get it outside again no later than 1/2 hour before sunrise. The little guys come out of torpor then and they are HUNGRY!!!

– One part sugar (i.e. white table sugar – NOTHING else) to 4 parts water is the ideal solution as it mimics the sugar content of flower nectar. Some folks suggest increasing the sugar to 1:3 in wintertime since any hummers that are overwintering in cold weather can readily use the extra energy. A *slightly* stronger solution = less energy expended by the bird in flying back and forth to the feeder.

– Do not, repeat, do not use Demerara sugar, raw organic sugar, or any other sugars. They are bad for the bird – as is honey.

– Keep the feeder scrupulously clean. Even a speck of black mold in the nectar will be enough to drive the hummers away. Change the nectar “too often” if need be.

And that’s it. Sorry for the sermon, but I know so many people hereabouts who feed the Anna’s hummingbirds in summer (when alternative food sources are plentiful), then yank the feeders indoors just when it’s a matter of survival to keep them in place. If you see them around during the summer, they probably still are in the neighbourhood!

63. Thank you Julia (the one in BC), I learned so much from your comments. I will take your advice, and report back! Have a wonderful day! Hmmmmmmmmm!
    K.

64. Another way to keep ants out of hummingbird feeders: hang feeder on a “stem” made of coat hanger wire, and smear a small dab of vaseline all the way around the stem at some point above the feeder. Touch up when filling feeder.

65. TERRIFIC PIC! Lookit them feets! Now that’s cute!

bzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzzz I know that tune if you hum a few bars, duh, dumb pun.

Loved your story, Leslie!

66. We had a very territorial female hummingbird at the cabin in northern MI. Any time any other hummers would come try to eat, she’d chase them off. It was fun to watch for the morning. The vid I have is ridiculously low quality, or I’d send it in.

67. Oh – What a wonderful photo. This is just precious, I have never seen a hummingbird before let alone a baby one. This is an awesome photo. Thank you very much for sharing.

68. Hummingbirds are extremely territorial, like cats & dogs. They’re wonderful too. They always have a tough honey/sugarwater territorial thing with bees and with each other. Remember that. They are a fierce bird, small as they are. I love their tiny fierceness.

69. Come watch the hummers in my rose bush. The chicks are about to fledge so hurry. It’s in California so come watch this morning.
    Hummingbird Nest

70. yay to pungolio!!!!!!!!! they are beautiful!! :)

[I found that UStream link stuck in our spam filter this morning, but was able to free it uninjured. ;) - Ed.]

71. @ButtaRumCake

same earworm for me too, except summer camp, Rockland County NY — Camp Knolls circa around the same time as you! Grew up just south of Bear Mountain

72. Wow, what a great experience!!! I would have loved to hold that little guy!

73. Julia (the one in BC) says:

@Corona “They are a fierce bird, small as they are. I love their tiny fierceness.”

Me too. They are utterly fearless, tiny birds with the heart of lions. Once I saw a hummingbird “attack” a Cooper’s hawk that was perched peacably on a tree – presumably within the hummer’s territory. The wee bird divebombed the interloper for over a minute before the bemused hawk finally flew off. Hummingbird – one, Cooper’s hawk – nil!

74. Rad_Rosa89 says:

I never knew they were this small up close!!

75. “Bo bo see watten totten itty bitty watten totten, bo bo see watten totten, FREEZE.”