Mmmmaaaarrrruuuu!

Ttthhheee ooonnnlllyyy ttthhhiiinnnggg bbbeeettteeerrr ttthhhaaannn Mmmaaarrruuu iiisss Mmmaaarrruuu iiinnn ssslllooowww mmmoootttiiiooonnn…

Comments

1. for a chunky kitty, that thing can jump!

2. LOVE the hind-leg hop.

3. Love the double-jump when he’s pouncing — I’ve never observed a cat jumping twice with their back legs while the forelegs remain in the air!

4. ACK! Maru’s cheeks (eh, muzzle?) wrinkle when he bites the grass.

LOVE the pounce!!!!

5. Adorable!

6. cuuuuttteeee! loooveeee theee twwoo-stteeepp juuaaammppp! :D

7. Cheryl Robinson-Atwood says:

Love the slo-mo! Maru’s natural grace shines-uh, along with a bit of flappy kitty flab, but still-beautiful!

8. Maru is so squishy and jiggly like me. I love it.

9. I like the shaking of his head after scratching.

I’d like to know the face behind the hand that is Maru’s owner.

10. I am always really impressed with the cleanliness of Maru’s home.
    He’s got good help. Which is hard to find, you know?

11. Maru! I love how round and squishy you are! ;)

12. Super cat!! Able to leep tall trash cans in a single bound!

13. Kitteh flappy flab! ha. boing! boooing

14. Blorptasm at 1:07!

15. 1:06 … some serious blorpiness going on in the belly region

16. ohhh saffron dangit! >.<

17. i love how the video is titled “high speed” when it is certainly “low speed.”

18. Love the slo-mo head shake & how his face keeps moving after he’s done. The slo-mo out of the bucket reminds me of the Planet Earth series super slow great white shark attack. :)

19. There is some serious blubfur action on this kitty.

20. I just love his fat little face!

21. Yay, Maru! I’ve missed you so.

I too love the little extra hop on the back legs. I’ve never seen a cat do that either.

22. the bug man says:

Crowd, chanting:
    WE…WANT…THE BOX!
    WE…WANT…THE BOX!

23. @Amy: In order to have a slow-motion video, you have to take more frames of video per second than normal, and that takes a special camera to pull off… a high-speed camera. The extra frames played back at the normal rate are what results in the slow-motion effect.

24. I’m late opening up the shop because of Maru !
    Oh well ! He’s worth it !

25. nothing is better than Maru!

26. On Cats 101 (Animal Planet) they said that extra blorpiness (“skin flap” they called it) between the belly and hind legs gives these cats greater range of motion in that area, giving them a higher top speed. So no making fun of the Round Mound of Rebound, it’s all functional!

27. *sigh* Maru how do we love you? Let us count the ways.
    # Hoppity Hoppity
    # Skid action
    # Instant replays
    # Hoppity Hoppity
    # Shakity Shake Flappity Flap (or is that two separate ones?)
    # Your FACE!
    # Maru
    # Maru
    # Maru!

(of course xtra lubs & kudos to Maru’s pet/slave/personal papparazi YAY!!!)

28. Floppular, flabbular, fabulous.

29. his belly fat claps at around 1:04.

oh
    my
    gawd.

30. lexipuppymommy says:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a maru? I know what a baroo is, but I am not familiar with the term maru.

31. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Maru is the name of the cat in the video. He’s become sort of a celebrity on Cute Overload because we’ve featured him so often.

32. omg. :57

rofl

33. lexipuppymommy says:

Oh thanks! I am sort of new to cuteoverload.

34. I love Maru!!!

35. YellowMiniNY says:

“Round mound of rebound” ooh- let’s see Maru vs Charles Barkley!

36. Maru is just plain amazing no two ways around it!

37. Booking first flight to Japan ASAP. Must. Have. Maru. NOW.

38. Oh my gosh! It’s the Six Million Dollar Maru!!

39. ohh check OUT the wonky eye spasm at 1:15!!!!

40. @Saffron–I now have a new favorite word: blorptasm. And yes, it describes perfectly what happened at1:07!

41. Welcome lexipuppymommy!

PPppoooeeettttrrryyy iiiinnnn mmmootttiiioooonnn.

42. Dear Owner of Maru: I want your kitty cat. Liek nao.

(Also, high-speed cameras make me giggle with girly nerdy glee.)

43. fencerchick says:

@lala … I saw that too … but thought it looked more like Maru was rolling his eyes at all of us!

44. I looooooooooooooove Maruuuuuuuuuuu! That double jump was TOO FUNNY!

45. Maru <3

You say blorptasm… I say Truffle Shuffle. :D

46. i did not know maru could be made even better.

i love the slow noms.

47. The wonderful thing about Maru
    Is Maru’s a wonderful thing
    His top is made out of rubber
    His bottom is made out of springs
    He’s bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
    Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!
    But the most frustrating thing about Maru
    Is he’s the only one

48. OMG, the double hip hopitude!!! I love you, Maru!! <3

49. Von Zeppelin says:

Duuude! A little grass makes everything . . . seem. . . s-l-o-w-e-r. . .

50. aaand NT Mel for teh win. Tewtally agree w/you on the last lines. ‘course he wouldn’t be as spechul if he were more n one then I suppose. SIGH.

Oh, and Von Zep? TSK TSK! ;-)

51. NT Mel #47: brilliant. We love Tigger.

VZ #49: LOL!

bbbbbbbb-eeeeeeee-eeeeeeee-pppppppp………………

52. The extra back-legs hop at 0:59 almost made me SCREAM with delight! I love Maru. I love cats. There is just no end to the funny things they’ll do.

53. Maruuuuuu…… You’ve made my whole week with this one.

54. Lol, awesome. Love the hindleg hope jump thing. Too funny and adorable.

55. One Skunk Todd says:

I like kanga-maru. (omg I’m Homer Simpson!) Let’s just hope they don’t do a slow-mo of Maru hacking up that blade of grass. :)

56. Wow, that cat has got some powerful legs going on. I love how he brings his heels into play during the patented jump-out-of-a-tall-container manoeuvre.

57. Totally, wickedly awesome!!!! COOL OVERLOAD!

58. martha in mobile says:

could someone please add the 6-million-dollar man noise when maru is jjjjjuuuuummmmppppooooiiiinnnngggg?

59. This may be the best Maru vid ever. Can’t wait to show it to my college students on Monday–they’ve become enchanted with Maru.

60. Iiiiimmmmmpppppprrrrrrreeeeeesssssssssssssssssiiiiiiiivvvvvvveeeee lllllleeeeeeaaaaaapppppiiiiinnnnnggggg, Mmmmmmmaaaaaaarrrrrruuuuuuu!

61. resriechan says:

“Lurkensproing”, ennyone???????

62. I lurve Maru.

Hey Maru! I lurve you! I look at your site every day!

63. So reminds me of NFL Films. They need to add the voice of John Facenda (“The frozen tundra of LAM-BEAU Field”) or Harry Kalas (R.I.P.).

64. Mary (the first) says:

The shaking jowls at :58! The hind leg jump at .. where was it .. anyway.. it’s all too funny! I don’t care if I never see Winston again. I am TEAM MARU all the way!!

65. I reiterate: I love that cat. Maru, I <3 U.

66. @Mary (the first)

There’s enough love for both! I wanna be in a Winston-Maru sandwich! With Charlene Butterbean! And the Daily Coyote! I can handle Teh Cute!

67. OMG, the kangaroo hops. I can die happy now.

But Mary (the first) – why u b hatin on Winston? These two should form a double act!

68. Maru should have his own talk-show…I mean meeow-show. He’s so fun to watch!

69. It’s kangaroo-maru! Except kangaroos aren’t usually so chubby and cute and obsessed with boxes… :)

70. Oh, Maru. I love you AND your pudgy face.

71. Oh Maru! I’ve missed you! Even his blorpitude is adorable.

72. love the slow mo flopping around!! Maru you are the best cat ever.

73. Diane in Los Angeles says:

A day with a new Maru video is like a day with extra sunshine.

I think I need to go buy a new high-speed video camera so I can shoot my kitty in slow-mo….

74. kibblenibble says:

wuyizidi (comment 26) : Thank you for the info on cat belly blorpage. My kitteh George has a LOT of teh blorpage, and he also can run super fast…now I understand why! :-)

(BTW the aforementioned blorpage, along with super long and soft fur, makes George’s entire belleh into a gigantic axis of snorgling which provides me with lots of happy kitteh huffing. There, I said it, and I’m not ashamed.!)

75. That’s right, NT Mel! Perfect poem for Maru.

Honestly, Maru can do no wrong – he may be the FINEST cat ever to grace this wide wide world of ours. I dote, I adore, I grovel, I lust after, I simply freaking LOVE that cat Maru.

76. LOVE IT. this is seriously epic.

77. Am I the only one hearing Barry White do the colour play-by-play?

Ohhh, baybeh.
    What kind of a love is THIS! [slo-mo pounceage] that you’re givin’ ME! [slo-mo replay, avec jiggleage retreat],
    Ohhh, yeahhhhh

78. AWW :) What a sweet kitty, Maru, is :) Nice to see him at play :)

79. @wuyizidi: Just as handy on a skinny cat, we called those “speed flaps” on ours, and hoo boy could he go! I have a vivid memory of him going full tear, his legs eating the yardage. He was also a great, explosive leaper like Maru. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the speed flaps also put more spring into the step for pouncing!

80. Love the kitty!! So cute!! But the house is so spotless and the owner has so much time to video, must have a housekeeper.

81. frankiennikki says:

Maru is a wonderful boy, and I’m fortunate enough to live with his cybertwin. My cat Caliban looks a lot like Maru, moves in the same way, and is tewtally adorabuhls. http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/Jul-Dec09/IMG_1570.jpg

Here’s a sample of his silliness:

He was chasing the greeblings that appeared under that door after the sky fell down (i.e., it snowed). His sisfur Miranda just watched him and rolled her eyes.

82. Just like Clara Bow…Maru definitely has “IT!”

83. uprightcitizenx says:

LOL! Check out his Fubbah (belly) bounce @ 1:06!

84. the double-clutch on the second jump is epic.
    he’s as big as a dog.

85. I had to stop watching Maru cuz Maru looks sad.

86. chuyueling says:

Fantastic. Love the Maru videos :)

87. Yay Maru! I had never seen another cat besides mine do a back leg hop like that before….I always called it the Mojo Two-step (named for my Mr. Mojo, of course!). Now I know there’s a Maru Two-step! Awesome!

88. Weeeee!!! Sorry Winston, I do so prefer Maru to yuuuuu. :)

89. Is no one else concerned that Maru’s addictive behavior seems to have escalated? I guess boxes are a gateway addiction…we’ve moved on to hampers and trash cans. I think we all need to fly to Japan for an intervention…and a good snorgling!!

90. Pretty light on his feet for such a big guy!

91. He’s just so pluffy! I wanna hug him and just run my fingers thru his coat!

92. @Mary Jane

I think if Winston, Maru, and Charlene Butterbean ever joined forces, they’d rule the world. I, for one, welcome our new megacat overlords.

93. I didn’t really read all the comments… but am I the only one who thought Maru biting the grass in slow motion kind of looked like those slow motion scenes of a great white shark attacking bait?

Or am I just wierd?

94. Christy-no weirder than the rest of us.

95. Oh, here’s the link on the skin flap (this doesn’t mean I’m fat, it means I’m fast): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Mau

96. Maru-trix Reloaded!

97. What a big kitty, but beautiful! Love the hop thing he did there going after the toy under the rug. To adorable!

98. Was anyone else hearing ‘chariots of fire’ in their heads during the last, jump-out-of-tall-things segment?

99. @ornith: Actually, that would make for a funny soundtrack. Better than Van Halen’s “Jump”, anyway.

100. OMG! @0.58 and 1.04–he hops like a kangaroo!

101. Maru has attained a level of cuteness heretofore unimagined by mere mortals.

102. Fleurdamour says:

It’s just like an action movie! Kitteh has a future in Hollywood.

103. @wuyizdi I’ll never make fun of my cat’s belly pooch again. She’s not floppy… she’s flexible. :D

104. Maru has gone where few kittehs have dared to go: beyond awesome and over the moon: He has attained Qteness to the nth degree……I know whenever I see one of his videos, that the next best thing to actually owning him (an obvious impossibility of
    course-I’m nowhere near Japan) is just to sit there and revel in his wunnerfullness…..!!!! (Mebbee tonight I’ll dream abowt kidnapping {catnapping?} hims…. or purrhapps kidnapping hims while he’s catnapping?) ‘K…I goes naow…
    Kthxbai…O.o

105. Jessica Rains says:

oh my god, this was immensely satisfying *___*

106. frankiennikki

omg your cat is so ridiculously cute and chubby!!!! *melts*

107. This is awsome, I say no to an “end”, this is just the beginning!

108. @28 – Extra belly for range of motion hmmm. I’m so gonna use that excuse from now on :P

I wonder if Maru is named from the japanese marui, which means round. It certainly suits him ^____^

109. The slow mo paws are killing me!

110. Anyone notice how perfectly manicured Maru’s mom’s hands are. Those are some polished or buffed nails.

111. Thought you might like some box jumping gif action. Dunno if it’s Maru, but it looks like it :)

112. spaceymcnutty says:

I love the way his skin moves independently of his body!

113. Bathos Q. Hauteur says:

Please, PLEASE go to Maru’s blog and watch the newly posted video titled “Maru’s Magic Show.” Please. You will thank me with tears in your eyes.

114. great!! :D

115. Mental Mouse says:

Those are impressive leaps! Notice when he comes out of the hamper & basket, there’s no scrabbling — one jump puts his hind feet on the edge! I also like where after the pounce it looks like he’s about to fall over, but then he’s like “Naah”, and just pulls his foreleg out from where he was leaning on his elbow.

116. It’s Hop-a-long Maru!

117. This belongs on “Awesome Overload”.