Teh Qte!

What, no Bumper stickère?

DSCN0574DSCN0575DSCN0576

The ultimate in vaniteh plates, Becky G.

Comments

1. That’s a hot car. Gimme!

2. What is that car? Looks like a mini-1956 Chevy, or a Mini-Cooper’s bossomy grandma. Anyways, it’s adorable!

3. Catman Dude =^-.-^= says:

This is a Nash Metropolitan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan

4. ♥Indeed very cute!, It actually looks like one of this toy cars where you just insert a coin and get a musical funny ride LOL♥

5. It could use some fuzzy dice hanging on the rear-view mirror… That would add some extra cuteness.

6. For you youngsters out there that is a 1960/61 Metropolitan. Made by Nash Rambler.

What a beauty……………..

7. OMG they made convertibles and police cars out of these things too? I want a convertible police car-style one. That would be awesome. And super cute…

8. I wanted a Nash Metropolitan so much when I was in my 20s. (Still do, actually) Back in the 1970s you could get a 61 Nash for $500! But that was a lot of money in 1972. Now I would think it was a steal.

9. omg the car even has a little hammy-like talio-inglesias :D hahaha
    (right above the license plate!)

10. I have wanted one of these my whole life–they are the Cute Overload of the car world! Can’t get any better than this…..if you ever drive to Yellow springs, OH, don’t park it or it’s mine!

11. What a happy car!

12. Queen of Dork says:

Nice car! Cars used to be so much more stylish.

13. Beep beep – beep beep, his horn went beep beep beep.

14. is it just me or have the CO people been like… testing our reactions lately? i mean, first the baby, then the… mayonnaise, and now the car?

[Dude, we pick the best stuff out of what people send us. Sometimes, that's the unusual submission. Then we write a bit & post. We don't go hunting for photos which we think will make folks wonder exactly what we've been smoking. - Ed.]

15. Queen of Dork says:

hm?: The mayo isn’t the first time they did a food post. Meg also posted a picture of a blob of butter that looked like a duck a long time ago. :)

16. Adorable car.

Lovely setting.

Purrfect plates.

17. Von Zeppelin says:

My seventh-grade math teacher drove one of these, even in the same two-tone turquoise and white paint job. My English teacher drove a ’56 Studebaker Golden Hawk. One of the many reasons I have always hated math and loved English. (I was also in love with the English teacher–her car was only a small part of the whole deal)

18. General Misdemeanor says:

1. Oh, I’m sorry – does it say ‘cute animals overload’ somewhere? anywhere?

2. Wow, cute car!

3. bumper stickers are not cute

bye

[Ahem... on the contrary... - Ed.]

19. Queen of Dork says:

VonZep: Ha-ha! I went to a high school (ages ago) whose mascot was the Thunderbirds. One homecoming, they rolled out some of the football players and cheerleaders in these cool, old Thunderbird cars. Right onto the track area around the field. It was pretty cool.

20. THREADJACK: Ottére!

21. There is a local Kwik Kar that has one of these parked out front. I hadn’t known what it was. This car + that plate = definitely Teh Qte.

22. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Are you freakin’ kidding me?!! *madly shoving smelling salts up my nose*
    WANT!!!! I WANT TO HAVE AN OTTER PLAYING IN MY LIVING ROOM!!!! (I’m having trouble holding my head up)

23. P.S. I drove a 1960 Cadillac Fleetwood my junior and senior year in high school(that’s 1987-88 for you nosey parkers). It had fins, but no bullets on the taillights (I think the last year the taillights had bullets was 1959). I wonder how many of these cute li’l carlettes it would take to make one of my old Caddy. :D

[Funny, that was my senior year in HS too. Alas, no car. - Ed.]

24. You just can’t get a car in those cool secondary colors anymore. There’s a guy in my neighborhood with two gorgeous ’50s cars in his driveway– one mauve and one teal!

25. Queen of Dork says:

Yeah. They just don’t make cars the way they used to. Old Mustangs are really pretty, too.

26. That is one HUGE CuteOverload fan! Definitely deserves his/her own post with that awsome car.

And I WANT une ottére, too!

27. I was the one who started referring to Cute Overload as Teh Qte™, and I kinda hope I get to see this car “in person” someday. :D

28. Also, I wonder what it would take to convert this critter to plug-in electric. I mean, yeah, strip the engine (oof), buy a load of laptop batteries (ouch), install a high-end electric motor (and so on)…

29. Oh my god.

Teh car!
    Teh plate!

I am so jealous
    Best non-animal post ever :p
    (though the mayo ghost was a good one too ;-))

30. Visualizing a Nash Rambler full of Ottéres. WOW.

31. Queen of Dork says:

Can cars really be converted to run off of vegetable oil? Like used oil from fast food places? I have heard of this but don’t know if it’s really true.

32. For the anti-mayo nuffers, the mayo ghost was definitely in the spirit of the butter duck. http://cuteoverload.com/2009/09/28/the-birth-of-a-new-niche-site/

33. QoD – any car that can run on diesel fuel can run on biodiesel. There’s some refinement & filtering that needs to be done on the used fry oil first.

Converting a gasoline engine to run on biodiesel, though, is what I’d call non-trivial.

34. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: If you can think about it, it can come true! If you manage to make that Nash full of otters a reality, will you drive to my house so the otters can play in my living room? We can have hot chocolate and something with broccoli in it (quiche?) and watch the otters play. :)

35. Queen of Dork says:

Theo: Oh. I don’t even have a car but I was kinda curious about that. I take the bus, cabs or my feet to get where I need to be. :)

36. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Hooray for Butter Duck! But the original post was much longer ago. I remember it very well because Meg was choking on wine and shooting it out of her nose. (I know. I have a strange memory for weird details. My family used to call me “The Archives”).

37. Theresa, the otter video is great! Thanks for posting. So adorable.

38. I would SOOOOO drive that!! But Alas, I live in Newark, the stolen car capital of the PLANET. I’ll just print the pic out and take it with me on the bus…

39. Martin Lowe says:

Just got your website on mysterygoogle! Nicly done, a total cuteness overload. Not my e-mail by the way. :) Have a great day!

40. Hooray for everything on this thread!

OFF TO PREPARE FOE OUR CONCERT- WILL GIVE A FULL REPORT!
    K.

41. Queen of Dork says:

Hi ButtaRumCake! So you take public transportation, too?! Of all the people I know, I’m the only one who has to make sure I have one dollar bills and quarters for bus fare. :)

42. The baby otter! Playing! WIth plushies!

*kerplop*

43. QoD, I thought I was the Public Transportation Queen. Of course, here in NYC it’s a no-brainer. Even Mayor Bloomberg takes the subway (of course, he takes his chauffeur-driven Escalade down from the Upper East Side, which drops him two stops away from Citeh Hall, and he then takes the subway the remaining measly two stops). :P

44. Queen of Dork says:

*smelling salts administered to Madame X. Along with a comfy massage bed, pillow, stuffed otter and lots of fluids*

Theresa: You just brought back HUGE memories of myself catching the A train from the room I had on somewhere around mid Manhattan up to 125th St. where I went to work at Dance Theatre of Harlem. Those were some very fine times for me. Very fine times.

45. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: One other thing and then I’ll stop blabbing. But I love NY and you have brought up fond memories! One time on my day off, I actually took the entire day and walked from my newly found apt on 164th St (between Broadway and I think the street was called Ft. Washington…it’s been over 20 years now) all the way down to the Village. Another great memory is me and my sister sitting on this huge rock by the Hudson River. We used to walk over the GW Bridge to Jersey all the time, too :) *sigh. good times, good times*

46. #28 – I’m pretty sure we now have incontrovertible proof that Theo is the guy from xkcd.com

[This is high praise indeed, but no, I'm not Randall. :) Never even met him. - Ed.]

47. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

48. The Daily Pincushion says:

The Nash is the car! My mom had one and will never forgive my dad for wrecking it even though he was on his way to a fire!

49. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Hm. I WISH I could take the bus. None runs from the village I live in to the city where I work.
    Le sigh.

50. Screw the stickers. I want an OMG PONIES!1! t-shirt!1!

51. I deeply admire the Nash -esp. the groovy couleur. If my memoire from the episode of History Detectives episode is correct….that is the vehicle Grace Kelly drove, around the winding mountaintop road, in the Hitchcock film “To Catch a Thief” …

However I also wanna place a vote for a 50s era Chevy BelAir, as a top contender for the Serious Cars Division …..my Nana had one that all of us grandkids are STILL coveting (and she — Nana — has been passe for 20 yrs already). It was a two-tone (bronze & white) w/ whitewalls. (ditto Lucy’s Mommeh “le sigh”).

52. Andi from NC says:

Love it – all of it – want it!!!!

53. Queen of Dork says:

Resrie: My daddy had an awesome blue Fiat. I remember me and my sister squashed in the back “seat”

54. @ QoD: that sounds nice, as well. Was that in Deutschland?

55. Queen of Dork says:

Resriechan: Yes! It absolutely was! How did you know that? (hmmmmm. are you channeling Nancy Drew?)

56. (no, it’s just hangin’ out with you this weekend has increased my Powers of Deduction)

57. Love this little car, and its tiny ‘tailio Iglesio’! I gotta chime in here and say the BEST car for a cross-country road trip is a 60’s Checker Marathon, complete with jump seats and NO FLOOR HUMP! Mom, Aunt Dorc (yeh, short for Dorcas), and 4 of us little kids all piled in the back, pre-seatbelt era. Kids, crayons, Captain America and Sgt Fury’s Howling Commandos, all the way from NoCal to PA. It was a travelling living room. Talk about yer good times… Okay maybe not so much with the flat tire in the Salt Flats, but Mom and Auntie had it changed before the big trucker guy stopped by to help. “Gee, thanks anyway”. We were very lucky ducks indeed.

58. Sounds like an awesome Road Trip! Both Thelma AND Louise would be jealous, no doubt.

Now, about your grandmother’s naming of your Aunt ……That makes me think of a Greeting Card, for which I recently paid an Exorbitant Sum of Money.
    It shows a cartoon of a Dog with a very shamed facial expression, built around a Mouthful of Cat, which said Dog has attempted to eat.

Caption on said Greeting Card?
    The Dog: “Not my best decision.”

(PS: the cartoon is done in Silly Fashion. No blood/gore/guts/actual mangling of Said Cat occurred)

59. Queen of Dork says:

Here’s some flowers for everybody for your Sunday morning.

60. My mom had a little red one when she was a teenager. She actually smuggled someone in the drive-in in the trunk.

61. Julia (the one in BC) says:

About the CO bumper stickères… any chance of getting skinny ones that can be put on bicycles? Bikes are teh qte, too, and I would totally cover my bicycle in your stickères!

P.S. Ehn! Ehn! Ehn! would be particularly useful when pedalling uphill.

62. Uh? Oh?

*comes to from faint*

Thanks, QoD. I don’t know what came ove…

*sees stuffed otter*

*thud!*

63. Queen of Dork says:

MadameX? MadameX!

*whisks MadameX to a free, coveted bed on the ward to begin administering care*

64. Bookmonstercats says:

I want teh car and I want teh otteur.

That’s all.*Folds arms*

PS Just off to sing “The Messiah” (hack soprano in chorus).

“Hallelujah”s to all CO-ers.

65. That’s an awesome car.

66. Since we’re reminiscing about cute cars, my folks had a classic Thunderbird convertible when they took me home from the hospital. They just bundled me up and put me in the tiny back seat. I sure wish I could remember that car myself. But then, that was while Kennedy was president. Kind of hard now to imagine my folks with a sporty little car like that.

67. If that’s a car for a hamster, then I’m sold.

68. That rocks. BEEP!

69. @QoD, was just up there on Friday.

70. [This is what comes of having a dad who was into cars...]

Nash Ramblers are different from Nash Metropolitans. Both were small, higher-gas-mileage cars for their era, but the Metros are a LOT shorter than the Ramblers (Ramblers had about a 100-108″ wheelbase, depending on whether they were 2- or 4-door models; Metros had an 85″ wheelbase, shorter than the old VW Bugs’!).

Metros were touted as a good inter-city car, with really high mileage and greater ease of urban parking, which I guess would’ve made them the ’50s equivalent of a Smart Car– but the era wasn’t ready yet.

A few months back, a hotel near a large mall my husband and I like to go to hosted a Nash Metro car club convention. There were probably a couple dozen of the little buggers in the vicinity. They really are adorable.

71. None more cute.

72. ok, that car is just about the cutest thing on 4 wheels ever! awesome colors, too, and the license plate. and THEN theresa turns up the qte to the max with that video!!!!! dust bunnies in my living room need to be swapped for a baby otter. STAT!

73. Von Zeppelin says:

Resriechan, I will concede the cuteness of the Nash Metropolitan (although I’ve never been crazy about them), but PLEASE do not put the All-Time Goddess of Screen Beauty, Grace Kelly, behind the wheel of this underpowered little rat box. She drove a 1953 Sunbeam Talbot in “To Catch a Thief””

[You see why I'd want to convert one to full-electric, then. ;) - Ed.]

74. resriechan says:

um — okay — so noted!? “I sit, corrected.”
    Mea culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa. I am Officially Pond Scum.

(That is ONE of the advantages of comin’ up Catholic. Ya learn, EARLY, how to grovel very quickly and very politely!!!)

(I did use the word “if” re. my memory, in my orig note….Souvent je fais des erreurs et donc j’essai d’utiliser le mot “if” quand je fais des comments ici a CO)

75. Von Zeppelin says:

Resriechan–I wasn’t intending to bring on any groveling. However. . .

For your penance, I assign you five Hail Grace Kellys.

(intoning) Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.

Oh, wait–you said you’re an EX-Catholic. In that case, just don’t worry about it.

76. resriechan says:

(whew!!! ;) )

77. Not only is the color B-E-A-UUUUU-tiful(guess what movie I’m refing), but the car is as cute as a bug in a rug! The license plate definitely fits!

78. Loved the song, Jen8!

My favourite of the old cars would have to be the original Thunderbirds, the tiny, two-seater ones.

79. Von Zeppelin says:

Now for a car that is cute in the best sense, I recommend the old VW Bug. It had a jaunty, competent look about it, and was almost indestructible. I still miss my beloved 1970 Beetle, affectionately named “Marlene” after Ms. Dietrich (because it was German, old, and still beautiful).

(throaty, accented contralto) “Falling in love again, what am I to do. . . “

80. WTF is up with this site lately???? Infants, and now cars?? Neither are remotely cute. Cut it out now!

[Bawwwww. :( - Ed.]

81. resriechan says:

I wonder if “Me” is the same person as “beerg(etc)” post from the other day.

Ed’s????

82. LOTS of things are cute! You need to be more open minded, Me! Oh great, now it sounds like I’m talking to myself. Just don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out! ;)

83. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Nash Metropolitan! Favorite vehicle of Zippy the Pinhead! Yow!

84. Yes, I believe anything can be converted to biodiesel. UBC (University of British Columbia) was using the old cooking oil from the restaurants on campus to power the university vehicles. Not sure if they still do.
    You have to add something to the oil, tho, so don’t be cooking fries and chucking the old oil in your gas tank, kay?
    Cutest car EVAH, BTW!

85. OMG – This is the car my Grandmother had when I was little – I LOVED that car – and someday I’ll have one of my own! (Very cool plates…but the car is the bestest.)

86. Bookmonstercats says:

Von Zep. Citroen C5. Fave car of Oxford dons.

87. E.A. McCrary says:

That is certainly a Toyota remote key the otter is playing with, probably a Prius, the favorite car of CalSci math professors… and one ex-rocket scientist I know well (with both a Qte bumper stickere’ and one that says ‘Your honor student is merely a pawn in my cat’s world domination plot!’). Love sneaking up on people in parking lots – they never hear me coming.

I learned to drive in a turquoise and white ’57 Chevy, and my brother’s first car was a ’69 Mustang. Dang I wish we’d kept ‘em…

88. baileysgrandmom says:

Well, I thought the Nash Metro came across the pond a lot earlier than 1954–I used to beg my folks to buy one, because I thought it was so small, they would let ME drive it! I would have been 12 years old then…oops! Did I just leak my real age to the world at large??? Many years before then, I used to beg my father (who was a ticket agent for the bus company, but of course I thought he OWNED Greyhound) to “sell all those ole ‘hound busses and buy us a yaller convertle!” Not a spelling error–a pronunciation error at the age of five! Loved the “beep beep” video…and the otter was not too shabby, either.

89. Von Zeppelin says:

Bookmonstercats (Wow! What a screen name!), I am unfamiliar with the Citroen C5, as Citroens have not been sold in the USA since 1974. A quick look on Google Images suggests that they are probably a worthy vehicle–in appearance not so different from Hondas and Toyotas of comparable size.

If we are looking for real cute-itude in a Citroen, you have to go with the Deux Chevaux.

I always thought the big Citroen DS, by the way, resembled an enormous cockroach (albeit a cockroach with pneumatic adjustable suspension)

90. Haha I love the Nash and wish I could have one. There was someone selling theirs here in the city but I can’t drive stick so it was out for me :(

The Deux Chevaux was i believe the car Snoopy drove in Bon Voyage Charlie Brown

91. baileysgrandmom — only to those who are willing to do math on a Sunday morning. You’re safe with me!

And since we’re talking cute cars, I must put in a good word for the VW Karmann Ghia. I mean, c’mon, peeps!

92. Needs a puppy in the drivers seat…

93. Resriechan says:

@ Pheas: yup — gotta agree w/ ya also on the Kharmann Ghia.

Our family owned one at a time when we landed in Omaha Nebr. Am pretty certain that Dad bought the car BEFORE receiving orders to Nebr……………….
    Anywhoo, we have a Classique Photo of nearly the ENTIRE vehicle (except about 1 square foot of the very tippity-top of the hood) mounded with snowfall…

94. it runs on power supplied by a bunch of interconnected hamster wheels – you supply the hamsters. I think that works in CA, but here in NH the hamsters would never get started on a sub 40 degree morning. Folks in the northern states will need to switch over to the squirrel model. Squirrels are cheaper than hamsters, but you have to train them more. they don’t just hop on the wheel and run like the hams. And sometimes the tails get stuck. they work for nuts tho!!!

95. I’m with Von Zeppelin on the old Bugs. Definitely the cutest ever. We had a bunch of them when I was a teen. With four kids reaching driving age in the space of five years, my dad started buying up old Bugs and piecing them together into things resembling functioning cars. Ah, the memories! The one whose headlights lit up the tops of the trees along the side of the road after my brother hit a deer with it. The one with the old vacuum hose running from the back seat floor up to the windshield, to create a defroster. The orange shag carpeting interior, even wrapped around the gear shift. The one where you had to open the hood to put gas in–freaked a gas station attendant right out. And best of all: the convertible. It made me look WAY cooler than I could ever, ever hope to actually be.

96. I do not know the significance of Teh Qte and it’s not in your glossary and I really need to know what it means. Thanks.

[It's nothing hard; just a quickie chat-room spelling of "The Cute". - Ed.]

97. This is funny.

98. I believe that “Lois Lane” from the original Superman TV series drove a Nash Metropolitan.

99. (throaty, accented contralto) “Falling in love again, what am I to do. . . “

Von Zep, if I may be so bold:

“Men flutter to me like moths around a flame
    And if their wings burn, I know I’m not to blame.

Falling in love again, never wanted to,
    What am I to do? Can’t help it.”

["Tired, tired of being admired, tired of love uninspired... Let's face it, I'm tired." - MK]

100. Von Zeppelin says:

Thanks, Wordgirl–a lovely performance. Marlene performed it first in the German version of “The Blue Angel,” where it was called “Ich bin von Kopf bis Fuß auf Liebe eingestellt.”

Believe me, it was better in German than it sounds from the title.

(Yes, Editor, I remember the Lili von Schtupp version as well. . . )

[It's twoo. ;) - Ed.]

101. annonymous says:

I always thought Nash Metropolitans were a cute car, and even if you don’t think cars (or mayo or kids) should be on this site, the custom license plate on this car qualifies this as an appropriate post. You all beat me with the car info (Grace Kelly Lois Lane, etc). So now I have to tell you the real cutest car of all is the classic (1960’s) Mini Cooper!

102. @the hen :) Thank you for telling us the name of that car :) Whoever owns that car must take good care of it and have it covered up inside a very well secured garage :)

103. uprightcitizenx says:

I grew up in Rancho Cordova, CA and lived down the street from a guy who had a couple of Metropolitains; yellow/white, seafoam/white, and some old beater that I suppose was his next project. I used to stare at them from the back seat every time we’d drive by. Nifty.

104. resriechan says:

Von Zepp: Plz color me Impwessed, that you know how to make your computer or the CO Computers or the Word Pwess computers (or whatever the bottom line is) make that weird “dubble-S” letter/ sign, from the Choiman alphabet ……..

Signed,
    Admiring Academic Who is Oft Befuddled by Computerworld

105. Von Zeppelin says:

Resriechan, this is one of the skills you learn by driving a Volkswagen Bug for years. The double-s thing that looks like the offspring of an “f” and a capital “B” is called an Eszett. You can only type it in WordPress if you are wearing a pointed World War I German helmet while a Prussian military band is playing “Heil dir im Siegerkranz” in the background.

106. I hope you didn’t misunderstand me guys x.x I think the mayonnaise was very cute and the car is adorable! it just seemed kind of funny to me that all those untypical (aka nonanimal) posts in a row! for goodness’ sake I wasn’t complaining in ANY way O_O’

annd, as I forgot to mention, *AWWWWW*.

107. *in a ALMOST row

108. :D
    thats my name.
    i like the car.
    :O
    i wish it was mine :(

109. Hey, MK, would life be worth living without the Lili von Schtupp version?