Just Two More Minutes, Ma

I’m, ah, working on my school project!  Yeah, that’s it, and I just need three more minutes.  I’ll be right in for lunch in just four minutes, honest.  OK, five minutes.

Comments

1. weeeeee! *splash*

2. Hee! Splashy McSproingersons, just having a good time!

3. Splashingks!

4. Haha, the hovertext suggestion was a good one–following it made it twice as fun to watch :)

5. Well I just wish I had this video when I was a kid to prove to my mom that it’s a LAW of NATURE. You HAVE to play in puddles. LOL :-)

6. Nicolletta says:

Who knew that elk were so easily entertained? :)

7. Can you imagine that elk’s angry father? OUCH!

8. that baby elk is *playing*! People that think that animals don’t have emotions etc are just plain *wrong*.

9. I can’t see the video, due to work blockings, however I’ve seen the video you’re talking about and I love it!! He looks like he’s having so much fun, and you just know Mom’s off to the right shaking her head and wondering how she will EVER get his fur dry again!!!

10. Love it! When it rains on days Mr.Blondie and I are out running errands we do this. Maybe not as enthusiastically, but someone will get wet from the other doing the splashing.

11. Elk Airlines, offering the finest in puddle jumper service

12. Don’t forget to clean behind your ears.. which in your case Mr. Moose.. may take a while!

13. I couldn’t decide if the little baby was afraid of the puddle, or just playing. After watching the vid again, I think in the end he was playing :D So cute! I love how at about 30 seconds, after standing still, just randomly stomps in the puddle. I decided to jump in a puddle on my way to lectures yesterday. I forgot I wasn’t wearing my wellies. I had soaking wet feet all day, but it was so worth it. Kinda.

14. 260Oakley: perfect!

15. I have often walked down this path before;
    But the earth has always stayed beneath my feet before.
    All at once am I several stories high!
    Knowing I’m in the puddle where you live.

16. HE is Mud Puddling… There is nothing more fun than mud puddling especially if you are a five and wearing your new snow suit and galooshes and you aren’t supposed to be mud puddling. ;)

17. Oakley and Birdcage, GREAT comments!!!

‘Course now I’ll be singing songs from “My Fair Lady” for the rest of the day!!

18. Gee, playing Marco Polo isn’t much fun when you’re by yourself.

Ma, can I have a baby brother?

19. AWESOME video! So. much. fun!!!

20. Ummm, you guys know that the male of the species pees in a hole, which makes a puddle to attract mates. If this was taken from a deer stand, the hunter could have collected the pee sent and made his own pee puddle.

21. Props where the props belong.
    This is a VERY short version of the orginal video by David Neils.
    David Neils is a wildlife photo/videographer and has his own Youtube channel and website. Here is the original video in all it’s glory.

22. If an elk splashes in the water in the forest, does any body hear?

Apparently not.

23. Once A Fish says:

Where any other house-bunny owners out there not so surprised to see this elk’s reaction?

He’s BINKYING!!

Can you believe it?? Elks binky just like bunnies do!

(Though bunnies don’t typically bink around in water, as fun as that might be!)

24. shahinrani says:

My horse does this in summer! It’s a lot more fun to watch when I know I don’t have to clean the mud off afterward…

25. @Mina :D! I was also imagining MomElk going
    “Augustus Sherwood Elk! I told you to stay out of the mud ponds, especially after I just shined your hooves just before we were ready to go to church! And then we were going to visit The Caribous to taste their famous homemeade clovergrass souffle. NO Atari games for you tonight! Very bad elk! Wait until your father gets home.”

26. Thanks for that one. There’s nothing like the deep down happy, all-is-right-with-the-world feeling you get from watching an animal play.

27. Has anyone put this to “Singing in the Rain”? A suggestion from my kid. :)

28. Discovering such joy and pleasure in a mud puddle.
    Lifts my heart.

29. This reminds me of a nature show I was watching once. They were showing whales breaching (leaping out of the water and landing in a big splash). The narrator was saying, very seriously, “We do not know why whales do this…” I yelled at the screen, “It looks like it’s because they’re having FUN!!” Apparently, some people must think humans are the only species who do things just for the fun of it, and that all other animals must have some instinctual survival purpose to their every action.

30. That’s great! I hope his mommy remembers what it was like to be a young mud puddler herself.

31. Interestingly even though there is no sound my mind hears the splashes!

32. and now I am going to track muddy hoof prints throughout the house and mom will say I JUST HAD THE RUG CLEANED

33. @ceejoe: My thoughts exactly. I had a horse that loved to play in water like this. Play.

Give it time, though. Some “animal behaviorist” type will come scoffing along and hypothesize that the “creature is simply attempting to protect himself from entomological parasites”.

34. As the inspiration for my screen name would say:

“when the world is puddle-wonderful…”

And, hey! Where’s the credit for me for submitting this vid (unless many others did as well)? I’m “DC”.

35. Awesome. I totally relate. I do this whenever I can. :)

36. I used to say there was nothing happier than a happy dog, but this elk makes me reconsider.

37. metzdarling says:

I swear Mom I was walking along and FELL completely by ACCIDENT into this stream.
    Really! (scrapes off some mud and flings it @ brother snickering behind me)

38. Gary Paulsen, in his book “Winterdance” about running the Iditarod sled-dog race, says he saw buffalo playing. (Someone took buffalos to Alaska and they’ve bred in the wild.) They took turns running down a hill onto a frozen lake, and when they hit the ice, they would stick out their legs and spin around and around yelling “GWAAA!” When they stopped spinning, they’d walk off the ice, go back up the hill, and do it again. Someone watching said they’d been doing it for at least an hour.
    If musk oxen, kept in pastures for their wool, are given a huge red ball, they will form teams and push it around with their heads. There was a photo of them doing that in Nat Geo years ago.

39. The above actually happened quite often @ our house. There was a small stream feeding into a pond. We weren’t allowed anywhere near the pond, but we *HAD* to cross that stream for a bajillion eleventy reasons. And if we happened to get ONE foot wet, well in for a penny in for a pound as Grandma says. :-D

40. “I splashed in the puddle less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference.”
    Robert Frost, the Elk.

I love watching animals play.

41. The Bloody munchkin says:

My dog does this exact thing every time we go to the lake or the river. It’s especially funny when he tries to bite the waves and then runs away. I’m glad to see that other animals do this. I thought he was a weird neurotic anomaly.

42. The book “When Elephants Weep” has other stories of animals playing. Great book.

43. Awwww, so awesomely happy that elk is! I’m with ceejoe, Copperbat and others… of course animals can play! Rhea, LOVE the buffalo story!!! This video makes me SQUEEEEE!

44. @Bloody Munchkin, our dog Renee also bites at water, only water falling from the sky. She gets so offended when it dares to rain on her parade. :lol:

45. AWWWWW….precious…

46. LOL… my 16 yr old son just did this very thing in the middle of his soccer game this weekend!

47. Every-elk in the mosh pit!…… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1RWsnlm84

48. Little elk is sproinging like a billy goat. Oh the joyous abandon of youth. What fun he is having. What good fortune to catch him in the act.

49. All kids everywhere, furbabies included, love to do this, espeshully when they’re nawt
    wearing their rubber boots; they know they risk Mom’s wrath, but they donut care!!

50. and to think, people (and I use that term loosely) SHOOT these beauties!!! Gross!

51. This makes me want to take a bath and get all splashy.

52. Other animals at play.

Why does “Jump Around” by House of Pain keep running through my head?

[Maybe because it's one of the most insidious earworms of the '90s? Here, try this instead. - Ed.]

53. Sploosh! Ka-sploosh! Splorsh! Bloosh! Take that!

54. baileysgrandmom says:

Can’t believe I’m the first to say, “Splish, splash, I was taking a bath, along about Saturday night…!”

55. LaureninGeorgia says:

Makes me think of a date I went on many years ago – my boyfriend picked me up and threatened to drop me and my white linen jumpsuit in a puddle. When he gently put me down on the other side – I jumped right into the middle and stomped until we were both covered in mud. How silly and how fun!

56. Lindsy Carranza says:

How flippin adorable!!! And I completely agree with this comment–>

“ceejoe 11.18.09 at 7:59 am
    that baby elk is *playing*! People that think that animals don’t have emotions etc are just plain *wrong*.”

57. Videos like this completely disproves the idea that some have that animals don’t have real emotions :)

58. GASP. Ed! Where did the behbeh and puppeh post go?!?!?

[What, this one? - Ed.]

59. Woop, never mind, it came back. Internet is acting up today, HRRM.

60. Babies are babies, no matter what! I love them all.

61. So thaaaat’s what animals do when we’re not watching. I like it!

So adorable and precious.

62. I heart animals so much.

63. Daphne Moss says:

This was a pure delight…not only a happy elk playing in the water but the fox and goat.
    What a bonus … bonuses … bonusi … fun!

64. earlybird1 says:

Hee hee! I love the sassy splash at 0:31.

65. Isn’t it nice to know “everybody” loves puddle jumping? It’s so much fun!

66. Squee! I love this!

67. Heh, this makes me think of the vacation we took to Glacier National Park. I believe it was in the portion just south of Waterton lake that a ranger told us a big patch of tracks were from elk who had come to that place when it still had some water and was a small pond. But I remember thinking, “Why would the tracks be all over it in a crazy pattern?” I figured the elk just walked through the water any which way on their way to and fro. But I think I know the real answer now. (The more amusing answer at least.)

68. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like the deer had an itch on its bum?

69. Queen of Dork says:

That elk playing in the puddle is one of the loveliest moments of sheer innocense and pure natural fun that I’ve evah seen!

(If an elk splashes in a puddle in the woods and nobody is there, does it make any sound?) :)

70. Splashy splashy splashy splashy…splashy splashy.

Squee!! Splashy splashy splash.

71. I have crows that play. I have a fairly steep hill in the backyard, and in the winter when it is snow-covered, they slide down, fly back up, slide down, fly back up… The same group does what I call bungee jumping in the summer, too. They line up on a long branch on one of the really tall oaks in the woods out back, and the one at the end “falls” off, tumbling end over end with no control at all until they “pull out” right before they hit the woods floor, then they fly back up, get at the end of the line, and wait their turn to go again, Clearly, he who pulls up the latest, wins. I’ve watched them do this for hours!

72. Queen of Dork says:

Awwwwww! I just watched the fox and goat videos, too. Awwwwwww! I have a smile on my face! To all others who posted saying they like to splash in puddles here’s a strange story. When my daughter was about three we lived in Seattle where it rains alot. She had on her rain gear including boots and was just LOVING splashing around in this puddle of rain. I was laughing and watching her fun and this lady was giving me the dirtiest look like, “how could you let her do that?” So I laughed harder and started splashing around in the puddle, too. FUN! Big piles of leaves are also fun to play in as is creating forts in large fields of tall grass.

73. Puddle-jumping! What fun!

(And, *sniff* I didn’t get to comment on the lack-of-blue in the couch in the puppeh/bebeh post. :( Oh well…)

Puddle-jumping! What fun!

74. kibblenibble says:

Yay! So Qte. He occasionally seems to be looking around to see if anyone’s there, so he can say, “Check this out!” Of course animals play! I love the anecdotes above, here’s mine: At Niagara Falls, the seagulls ride the air currents over the falls repeatedly, like a giant air rollercoaster. They just fly up to the top level, catch a current, and swoosh down on the air currents that must be just above the water. I watched them do this for about an hour. The falls are gorgeous, but the gulls playing sticks in my mind every bit as much as the huge mass of falling water. :-)

75. I love it! I love seeing animals play just for the sake of playing! It makes me want to go splish-splashing in some puddles myself!

76. This is really interesting!

77. cuuuttteeeee

78. wheeeeeeee! elk has ultra clean feets nao! yay for elk.

79. DaytimeDeb says:

Now THAT is a great definition of “joy!”

80. DaddyDoggy says:

“Cavorting”: See above.

81. May as well be my spaniel…play in the dirt and mud, then track it all over the house. CUTE!

82. Some one needs to set that to music !!

83. spacebunny says:

Yippy skippy!

84. Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!! SO MUCH FUUUUUUUUUUN!!!! Really joyful watching true wild nature REALLY playing!

85. @ken (re: #20): don’t rape our cute buzz!! :-)

86. Sasha's mum says:

Ok, I’m sure I was only one of many who submitted this vid, but I thought my subject line was particularly brilliant if I do say so myself. So, ahem, here you go:

“Anne Elk (Miss). Working on a brand new theory about the brontosaurus.”

87. @ Sash’s mum–
    Well, what is it, this theory that it is?

88. There must have been some bad mushrooms in that forest…

89. If the weather in his neck of the woods is anything like the heat we’re getting in Sydney, no wonder he’s happy!

90. Antikythera says: