Check it Out; I’m an Elephant!

Guys, guys, lookit!  I got the big head, with the long nose thingy!  Wait, I’ll make the funny noise: Phhheeeaaaauuuuuuummmmpf! Hey, somebody throw me a peanut!

DSC_2297

Peanut!  Because I’m an elephant, ya get it?  Guys?  Where’d everybody go?

DSC_2298

Shot and submitted by Tod B., who was sooo in the right place at the right time.

Comments

1. ROFLMAO

2. John DiFool thinks it looks more like a Berg.

3. Kallisto73 says:

Aside from the fact that the caption is great and the bee is so cute, I’d like to point out that this is a great piece of photography. Well done!

4. So cute. I looooove the little dangling legs in the first pic! Aww… *head tilt*

5. Vereh funnyeh and hhhovertext on 2nd peec LOLLL. (Ees suppozd to be Poleesh ak-tzent. Don’t ask. :) )

6. I look at those dangling legs and all I can hear is “Ehn”!

7. Bookmonstercats says:

Amazinks photography

8. please explain to me what is cute about this?

9. Oh, those crazy dentists again- what won’t they do for a little attention?

Fabulous photos! And to think he could actually hear the bees! Just fabulous work!
    Are those bees from New Jersey?

10. Anybody want a peanut?

11. Bee butt – that’s what’s cute! And yes, gorgeous photos.

12. The bee, in the flower, looks as though the bee is pretending to look like an elephant-see the black, tiny eye spot and the curved, lower part of the blossom resembling an elephants’ trunk? Then the bee, anthropromophosed into a human via the wonderful brain that is NOMTOM, the bee yells over to his fellow bees- “hey, etc.”

I hope this helps, layla.

13. Maybe layla’s just not an insect person?

@AmyJ – No more rhyming now, I mean it!

14. ¡uʍop ǝpısdn˙˙˙dn puǝ ʃʃ,ʇı ‘ƃuıoƃ sdǝǝʞ ǝǝq ǝɥʇ ɟı puɐ

15. Hee! Oh, those are great photographs. Love the elephant-flower, and I always think bees are cute. Except hornets and wasps. They’re not cute. But the Japanese word for bumblebees is cute–kumabachi! It means, literally, “bear bee.” Isn’t that perfect? Also, I’m up too late and cyber-babbling.

16. AWESOME photographs!

And, as is often the case, NTMTOM’s narrative takes it to a whole other level. Like, light years into Teh Qte. I swear that man could make cow patties cute!

17. Bees are super cute! They’re all fuzzy and stripey like. And that first pic with the dangling legs – hee!

18. TrixandSam says:

The photography is exceptional. Check out the stinger at the end of the bee butt in the first pic.

19. Does the Queen Bee go to a dentist for her crown?

20. Queen of Dork says:

NTMTOM: You’ve actually made this busy little bee seem really playful! Love the caption and the bee ‘tocks!

21. This could also have an “ehn” tag.

(And drones don’t work. They sit on their bee asses and wait to mate.)

[Oops. Shows ya how little I know. Hovertext updated, and thanks. — Mike]

22. Thank you for the sunshine and laughter on a cold, grey November morning.

Sigh. I <3 CO. I <3 NTMTOM too.

23. <3 wow so amazing

24. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@Kallisto73: Agreed, these are great photos, and I hope the photographer will “take a bow” in this thread. Bravo!

25. I have a new appreciation for bees. Such cute photos, delightful captions! NTMTOM, you rock! And props to Meester Photographer too :P

26. A-buzz-buzz, Mr. Bumble.

27. Oh so beautiful bee photos… and they are really quite amazing little creatures … or bugs if you prefer

28. Bee ‘tocks and dangly bee feets! Kawaii!

29. temperance says:

i love bees! that first ‘ehn’ picture is awesome.

i let a lot of my herbs go to flower just for them. i don’t know why, but seeing their little saddle bags filled up with nectar to take back to the hive makes me incredibly happy.

30. So cute. I’m obsessed with the bees that come to my little balcony garden. Good to see other people here who think they’re cute.

Love the clever narrative and the “elephant mask” observation. Hats off to Mike for his creativity and sense of teh funneh :)

Also… that first pic is the bee’s knees!

31. Queen of Dork says:

cath: bees ARE very interesting as are ants. I just really miss lightening bugs and wish they lived where I do.

32. temperance, I agree about how pleasing it is to watch the bees doing their thing. I think because it was so rainy the first half of the summer, all of my perennial herbs went to flower really early (and I noticed for the first time that almost all of their blossoms are different shades of purple–beautiful!). Every day the bees would be buzzing all over the herb garden, and I would think how delicious that honey would be with all the different herb flavors.

33. i let a lot of my herbs go to flower just for them

I hear you there. I’ve replaced my lawn with plants beloved of bees and hummingbirds. There’s also a bumblebee nest somewhere on the premises. Sometimes the whole yard just hums. Sigh. Bee love.

34. Queen of Dork says:

It’s so lovely to read comments from peeps who have an appreciation for other species with whom we share this planet! Have any of you read the book Dust? I can’t remember the name of the author. Pelligrini or Pelligrino? Maybe first name Michael or something like that? Very cool book!

35. Trabb's Boy says:
  36. I’m glad to see there are other sane people who don’t go crazy at the sight of bees. It is the funniest thing ever to watch people run all over when an innocent bee comes over to investigate them.

37. Sporkles, while I won’t dispute the general crazyness of our species, some people are actually allergic to bee stings. My nephew, for example. We’d rather he run from a bee than rush him to the hospital emergency room.

But that does not take anything from the preciousness of these pictures!

38. Bee tocks!

39. PS Another case of “Hey guys, watch this!”

40. @QofD: Ants are interesting when they’re outside. When they’re inside, and all over my kitchen counter, not so much.

41. Queen of Dork says:

victoreia: SO agreed! I like ants and other bugs OUTSIDE! In my house? To quote you, “not so much!” :)

42. Nother great caption for first pick: “Uhm, guys, I think I’m stuck… Is anyone there? HELLO! Come on, dudes, this isn’t funny anymore!” (little leg wiggles) “I know you’re there! It’s dark in here and I can hear laughing!”

43. @QoD, it’s Charles Pellegrino:

44. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Yes, that’s the one! Thanks! I read that some years ago and think I will get that and read it again. Thank you. Very sweet of you!

45. @QoD, when I was tiny, watching bugs was one of my favorite pastimes. After I was grown up, and there were new little kids on my block I loved to watch them watch the bugs!

46. Thanks everyone for liking my photos! I’m soooo excited to finally bee on CO! The dangly legs are my favorite part! Bee ‘tocks!

47. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: Me too. As I child I was often either kneeling on the ground admiring bugs or sitting in a tree very quietly observing bugs and birds. It is still one of my fantasies to someday live in a tree house. (There are some REALLY cool tree houses people make that I have seen on the web that would be so cool to live in). Okay. Enough of my nuttiness.

48. Queen of Dork says:

Tod B: Exceeellent!

49. How cute! :D Aww I love fuzzy bees, especially when their little butts stick out of flowers like that when they are reaching in.

50. **Brilliant** captioning. :)

51. Ha ha, I love Elephant Bee!

52. fish eye no miko says:

Tod B: “I’m soooo excited to finally bee on CO!”

I see what you did there. ^_^

Great picture Tod! That first one really does look like an elephant. He’s (or would it be a she?) a bit late for Halloween, though… ^_^

53. Bee ‘tocks! Bee ‘tocks! Fuzzy ‘tocks a-dangle!

54. QoD, I used to get the fat little backs of my legs bitten by indignant ants.

55. Queen of Dork says:

Theresa: ha-ha! I used to have multiple scabs from sliding down out of trees! Check out this cool tree house!
    *I promise everybody…it’s not a horrifying, huge, scary bug picture*

56. A little late for Halloween, dewd. Cute fuzzy ‘tocks though!

57. Queen of Dork says:

Uh-oh. Oooops! I didn’t mean to catch that person there in the picture. I just grabbed a picture of the tree house from the web. I guess I was too focused on the cool house to notice I just posted a picture with that person on there.

58. @sniper’s explanation of drones: “And drones don’t work. They sit on their bee asses and wait to mate.”

AHA! I apparently know quite a few drones cleverly disguised as human males.

59. Tod B… Kudos again on the pictures and also on your sustainability Furniture. Bravo!!!

60. Cambridge_Rat_Mom says:

Is that jewel weed?

61. Did anyone else TOTALLY hear this in a British accent a la those Walk on the Wild Side BBC vids?

Nightiiiiiiiiiiime DAYTIME!

62. @ Tod B, wonderful photo! And i agree, Mike always puts a great caption to everything.

63. bee tocks, heh heh eh! And it really DOES look like a elefun head/mask. I guess people dress in bee costumes, why not elephant mask for a bee? Layla, it’s just CUTE, ok?

64. I have extreme bee phobia, but this was pretty funny. ;)

65. BeebuttBeebuttBeebuttBeebuttBeebutt!

:sniggle:

66. whomever it was that spotted that elephant in the flower…. brilliant eye

67. never thought I would say this, but that bee is cute!

68. Bees are awesome. Besides making honey, the pollinate most of the worlds crops. Did you eat any fruit, nuts or grains today? Thank a bee. :)

Besides, (notice how I didn’t say beesides?) bees and wasps are very rarely in the same place. If you have bees, you don’t have wasps.

Yay for bees! It always makes me smile when I see one when I’m out and about. I don’t even mind when they land on me. A bee isn’t going to sting you unless you are threatening it or the hive (ya know, because what is a general annoyance for most people [unless they are allergic] is fatal to the bee). If you see a bee, act calmly, and basically, if you ignore it, it will ignore you (unless, for instance, you step on the piece of clover it’s thorax deep in) I grew up next to beehives, and I’ve never been stung. My dream is to live somewhere where I can raise bees and chickens. And maybe a goat. And ducks. And bunnies…

69. When Killer’s brothers were small-before Killer came o the scene, I thought it would be interesting and educational to have a bee hive. But one of the kids developed a bee phobia. Now that he is becoming a high school biology teacher, I just may take up the hobby, I love bees and next year will devote my entire .00000001 acres on the Steppes of Central Connecticut to planting bee and bird-food plants. Thanks for the inspiration! There is a program whereby one can get one’s back yard certified as animal friendly! I’ll have to go and check it out again.

70. Never before in my life have I thought that anything on a bee was cute. I guess there’s a first time for everything.

Yay for cute bee’tocks and beetoes.

71. The Great Squee says:

OMG! I LOVE BEES! I may be weird, but I think the big fuzzy bees are the cutest things EVAR! I have a picture of one that looks like Sonic the Hedgehog. Good show!

72. Sweeda, love your version, too! I can totally hear it, the little bee’s echo-y voice, and his buddies snickering in the background…
    And… Bee-tocks! (hadda say it!)

73. I have to chime in about cultivating a garden for bees…. I have the good fortune of having a lot of flower beds. Over the past 5 years, I’ve planted perennials that provide flowers from early spring through the first hard frost of fall. One of my favorite things about tending my flowers (herbs and tomato plants too!) is listening to the productive hum of FLOCKS of bees enjoying the buffet. And the variety of bees! It’s a non-stop show, especially when the hummingbirds and butterflies join them. I LURV my bees, butterflies and hummies.

74. @SoCalSis: Thank you! I am to Bleese… lol

75. @SoCalSis: Bee-tocks! Love it!

76. I always here the Genie of the Lamp telling Aladdin, “Beeeeee yourself…” :D

77. Oh my lord – HEAR, not here. Homonyms will get you every time!!!! :eyeroll:

78. @ Cambridge_Rat_Mom:

This wonderful plant is a Wild Impatien (I know – it looks like an orchid!)
    I’m in Philadelphia and they grow like weeds here in my yard – they can shoot up to 4’0 or more and then in July/Aug they bloom into late Sept. or so. They sow their seeds naturally, so if you have only 10 one year, you get 50 or so the next!

Cheers

79. I think the jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) in the picture might actuallly be the cutest part – but then, its my fave flower *evar*.

80. @ Cambridge_Rat_Mom and @ lisa:

I think I misspoke – I suspect it’s actually Impatiens *pallida*, not *capensis* – pallida is a lighter colored flower, without the dark red spots characteristic of the capensis.

Either way, some call it Touch-Me-Not, since the seed pods POP and fling seeds everywhere if you pinch them.

…I think I fail at writing cute science.

81. Thanks for identifying the plant for me. I was actually shooting the flowers when that sweet bee happened by. The bee was definitely saying “ehn, ehn” while trying to get as far into that flower as possible. I heard it.

This was taken at the end of summer in Grand Rapids, MI. Bees and flowers are sooo important and wonderful.