Oh, I’m Sorry, Did We Startle You?

Golly, I suppose we did sneak up on you under the covers, didn’t we?  Frightfully sorry about that, old bean.  Anyway, once you’ve finished clutching your chest, would you mind getting us our breakfast?  Thanks ever so.

IMG_0181

N-no m-m-more c-coffee for m-me, Christopher A.

Comments

1. Comin’ to gitcha’, under the sheets! …my kitties do that too…

2. Aww, look at those sweet, innocent faces. They must be up to no good. :D

3. Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! What pretty kittehs!!!!!

My Suki also looks at me that way in the morning, all “What are you doing still in bed? You’re supposed to be filling my dish with delicious, smelly tuna!

4. Von Zeppelin says:

“This unusual photograph was taken from the point of view of the corpse, as Dr. Katz and his assistant pull back the sheet to begin the autopsy.”

5. I believe the appropriate term here would be “Splort”.

6. alwayscataddict says:

Hmmmmm, those kittehs must be seeing something a little scary under there…..

7. Dilute marmie!!! He has a lean and hungry look.

My guess is that the camera is trained down from the top of the blanket, ready to capture Adventures in Feetbiting™.

8. My old cat loved to sleep under the covers – she would stretch right out and I would just fluff the duvet over her. One time my mother was visiting and was tidying up and attempted to flatten the ‘lump’ under the duvet – neither were the same afterwards!

9. Is this pre-lurkenschproingen?

10. Yes this is exactly like our house – both cats and the dog are lurkers and sidlers. Where ever you go – there they are. Motto in our house: you’ll never pee alone.

11. Ahaha! Look at those cute little “sneekies!” They think they are being tricky!

12. Simply frightening.

13. lovies!!!!!

14. They are so cute!!

15. Ahhhhhhhh! The pupils!! O.O
    Whenever my kitties do this it means they are about the attack something.. It’s a warning, like a rattlesnake tail!

16. Elisha B. says:

@Kristabelle —yes, yes, yes and it looks like it will be a doubleschproingen with “love” claws!

17. Resriechan says:

@ Kristabelle: In my considered academic opinion, the answer to your inquiry, would be in the Affirmative.

That having been duly noted into the record, I offer my followup qu. to
    do these Feline fellows/ ladies share the household of the following?

Thank you deeply for your attention to this matter.

18. My babies ‘think’ they want to be under the covers, until the get under there and change their minds. This is an awesome picture, and a great way to start my day. The traffic cameras in my area are on the fritz so the timing is all screwed up. It’s making traffic in these parts horrific. After spending an extra hour in the car, this was a wonderful thing to see. Thank you!

19. Resriechan says:

oops “followup question to ” (NT) Mike..

20. Well, a close look reveals that these cuties are between the matress pad and the bottom sheet. One of my cats does this, too! He can hear me about to make the bed no matter where he is. He comes running in enough time to plop right down just as I’m spreading the bottom sheet — over him, natch. We have to have a little game of “Bet you can’t see me but I can swat at you!” before he’ll graciously allow me to continue. Love it!

21. I love the paradox of kitties. Humans see dilated pupils and rounded eyes as cute and extremely attractive. And when humans see that in other humans, it makes sense. Dilated pupils means that person is interested in something or someone and round eyes are a baby-like feature that humans find “cute”. However, in kitties, dilated pupils and rounded eyes means an attack is eminent.

22. Wow, that’s a frightening infestation of bed bugs they’ve got! Those things are HUGE!

23. Jenn in IL says:

Holy COW, look at those pupils! That’s just insane!

24. awwww so cute!…

25. lol @browngrl (#10) – same motto at my house, although w/ 11 kittehs, I can extend it to: you’ll never do ANYTHING alone. Except maybe shower…

26. BouvieGal says:

I’m curious as to how exactly that pic was taken. It doesn’t look like a flash was used or we’d see different lighting (and red eyes on the kittehs). But the white light from above…wouldn’t that have constricted the pupils before the photo could be taken? Hmmm. Mystery!

27. Trabb's Boy says:

Aw, this is my kitties! Okay, it isn’t. But I have a wood-coloured marmie and a dilute calico, and they both LOVE to play Make the Bed. And then you tickle their little ear lumps from above and they roll over and scrabble like mad, unless I’m using the cheap sheets, in which case they can stick their little claws through the low threadcount and create a charming, though deadly-for-everybody bed of nails.

28. My blended calico longhair loooves to sleep under the covers, no matter how many bankies are on the bed. She is Cave Cat. If she has been under a while, I take the covers off…it cannot hurt them by sleeping under covers can it? I worry she cannot get enough air. :(

Heh, it looks like bigger kitteh taking junior out on an expedition to view the humans and to teach proper waking technique. “Look son, here is the human in the habitat it spends many hours in. See how it can be easily roused. But be cautious! It may yell when being wakened but not to worry as it will give you noms soon after.. Now observe as I demonstrate the time-proven method of waking called “Face Sit/LOUD Meow”.

29. @browngrl, LOL! Do they stand on the edge of the tub between the shower curtain and the liner, too? And lick the inside of the liner, even though it isn’t even wet? I lived with a dog who was a slinker, but not a sidler. He was a lab, but would slink in with that hunched, foxy look that border collies sometimes have, look at you, and slink back out.

30. I agree that this had to be during the ritual “bed making.” Lookit the quilted mattress cover.

I don’t know what it is about this time that makes the sheet irresistable to cats as opposed to the other 95% of the time.

31. Hah! We call this Stealth Cat. So many mornings i wake up to my Nelly’s nose a half-inch from mine, patiently watching and waiting for me to feed her. I will say, the jolt usually gets me up and out of bed!

32. SAUCER EYES!

Saucer eyes + nighttime = normal
    Saucer eyes + daytime = getting into trouble

33. @Saffron & Von Z: you are both. very. very. very. funny. :-D

34. Oh boy! Cue the music….

What music?

Dun-dun! Dunn-dun!

Oh that music….

35. Von Zeppelin says:

Are these Simon’s Cats? Where’s the baseball bat?

36. @browngrl: lol my chow dog used to whine outside the bathroom door until you came out- or until the houseguest he just befriended came out. My big, scary guard dog… whining because a stranger won’t let him inside the bathroom. Of course, he laid down by the crack in the door until it opened. Loved the expressions on the faces of people coming back out of the potty. Yes, my dog is *totally* in love with you. And everyone else. :D

37. @tammie:

our dogs do this too, and if we’re in the bathroom and hear them out there longing for us, we’ll usually shout, “she went out the *other* door!”

like, do they think we’re going to escape?

38. @kristabelle

so THAT’s how you spell “lurkenschproingen”. I couldn’t find it in Funk and Wagnalls, or Webster’s, or Rand-McNallay, or Hoyle’s, not even Rogets could help me out. Many thanks.

[needs more ümläüts - Ëd.]

39. N-no m-m-more c-coffee for m-me?

Been catching up on our Calvin and Hobbes, have we?

[ We only steal from the very best. ;) -- Mike ]

40. sunnydaiz says:

Ha! Love the C&H reference!

41. GreatKatzini says:

In our household, we call eyes likes this “full moon peepers”… and they always indicate trouble, whether its daytime or nighttime.

42. Resriechan says:

(befuddled)

helLO??????

“Danger” Tag? “Impending Doom” Tag?
    Do I hafta do EVERYTHING at CO by myself???????

Signed,
    (Not) Righteously Indignant, Phd.

43. My dear departed Steve loved bedmaking time. She would run under each layer as it went down, wait for me to scoop her out, lather, rinse, repeat.

44. @Jenn in Il., the technical term is “wackadoodle eyes.”

@VonZepp, I believe the baseball bat is waiting for the peanut-butter-jelly.

45. @Browngirl: Same here.

46. Argyle Donkeypants says:

Step 1 in a successful Luurkenschproing attack is always Lurk. Which these guys are definitely doing.

47. @ Ceejoe You have 11 & you can take a shower alone ????? You lucky DOG !!!
    I have six & I can’t remember what it’s like to shower alone ! A couple of mine actually sit in the shower with me ! Do any of you have any idea how hard it is to wash long hair without splashing the shower masters ????

48. Among my Eddy’s nicknames is “Nemesis Of Bedmaking”. The moment I begin putting clean sheets on the bed, he jumps up for a prolonged wrestling/tickling through the sheets session. When we’re done we have a “rebirthing” as he emerges from his wrappings. He is the only one of my four who likes to sleep under the covers with me. He is also my bathroom escort; he prances on the tub edge and takes my order for snacks and magazines, and when I’ve told him what I want he runs off as though to get them.

Needless to say, Skippy thinks Eddy is sooooooo immature.

49. Ohhh I love this photot ..
    I miss my Magneato she would always do this when i was trying to make the bed. especially when new sheets are being applied… it was her little game to get under there and then swat at you as you tried to make the bed.. and then she would crash sleeping until she was ready to come out.
    I wish I had taken her picture like that
    SHe was Torbie.(TAbby Calico Combo)

50. Best. Cte. Post. EVAR.

51. BTW, re: VonZep comment #4, there is a wonderful children’s picture book by Ursula Le Guin called A Visit From Dr. Katz. In it a child is sick in bed and the two cats come in to attend to her. The line I remember is “Dr. Katz enters the room and goes in two directions at once”. When I was home sick as a child, my mother would always assign one of our cats to be nurse kitty and that cat would have to spend the day on my bed. I think we probably rotated days among however many cats we had at any given time.

52. Suddenly, those alien abduction nightmares were coming into sharp focus.

53. Mud Bug – your cats get in the shower with you??? Yikes! I will now begin counting my blessings.

54. why thanks kitties, for helping moi make the bed!

55. AuntieMame says:

Mud Bug, I suppose washing your hair and let them worry about getting out of the way of splashes is out of the question? ;)

56. Oh what beyootiful kitties!! I like the bits of orange on the bigger one and the sweet marmie little one. I’ll take them both, please!

57. My kitty also LOVES to wreck havoc when trying to make the bed… or fold clothes, for that matter!

58. AuntieMame, what?!! Suggesting that a human go about his/her business and not worry that kitties may be slightly inconvenienced? This is unthinkable! It is all about the kitties’ comfort, all the time!

59. Our Tuffy Cat when he was with us believed it was his DUTY to guard us silly puny humans while we were taking a bath. Becuase you just never know what those silly humans will do next. Of all the noive … getting into a bathtub full of water.

60. GreatKatzini says:

One of my cats tries to shower with us too. I believe she thinks the bubbles and foam are secretly part of a doom plan, and so must be destroyed… we have to keep her from the eating the foam. Yeah, I don’t know either.

61. There is some tile damage in our bath. To keep water from leaking into the wall, my hubby hung clear plastic shower curtains all the way around the tub. It’s a garden tub with a wide rim. I may have told this story on here before. Anyway, Philo likes to walk around the tub, between the tile and the curtain, while I’m showering. He acts sometimes like he thinks it makes him invisible. Hilarity ensues.

62. :lol: GIGGLE :lol: I would just LOVE to have kitties like under my bedcovers :lol:

63. gorgeous eyes, my cats looked like that when they were still kittens. they get that look every once in a while at night.

64. Space Cowgirl says:

Anyone else get creepy ’28 Weeks Later’ vibes from this? *twitch*

65. @ Auntie Mame It’s only out of the question if you want to wake up in the morning . Also, remember in the shower you don’t have the meager protection of clothing if the “kids” get splashed & freak out. there’s not much except skin for freaked out cats to grab on to if they really want out of the tub.

66. resriechan says:

Attached please enjoy the Theme Song/ Earworm for this Post & comment thread
    (admittedly the lyrics are one or two words, off from the exact caption….but pretty DARN close & not a bad ‘Mericun/ Canadyun rock song classic IM –H?-O)

Happy Friday, Folks (et les Animaux!!)

67. My dear departed Steve used to lie on the top of the shower doors while I was in there She’d start to get sleepy, and her front paws would slip down until she was hanging on with her little thumb claws. Then she’d just let the legs dangle like Monorail Cat..

68. astropunkin says:

I am glad that it is not just my kittehs who are crazy pants in the morning. Look at those dialated pupils :)

69. i love love love the HUGE pupils!! ready to ATTACK!

70. I think they are waiting for TOES!

71. look at the kitties! they must be EVIL =P

72. Emo Gazanthe VIII says:

Awwwwww! Awwwww. Aww. Oww. OW! OUCH!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAARGH!!!!

73. Emo Gazanthe VIII says:

scary kittys :o

74. OMG.. that’s so like the cat from shrek!!!!

75. Crackin up!
    Emo they move like stealths and carry sharp objects.