Live from the Labrador Room, Paramus

Hey ladies and gentlemen glad ya could make it how’s everybody doin’ tonight that’s great ok this next act is the funniest comic working the dogmouth circuit today you’re gonna love him put your hands together for Rocky Boffo let’s hear it…

redguy

Good evening hey it’s great to be here so I tell my psychiatrist I think I’m a deck of cards he says I’ll deal with you later and my girlfriend’s a one-legged waitress yeah she works at ihop but seriously folks what’s the deal with these airline peanuts…

lips

Is that a pinball machine part in picture one, Natalie F.?  (And am I a geek for knowing that?) (Update: It’s a finger puppet.  Thanks to various commenters for the info.)

Comments

1. Oh my – what we do to our dogs!

2. Trabb's Boy says:

I’m sure you are a geek, NOMTOM, but that’s a finger puppet. My children have several. We never considered putting them in our doggie’s lip curtains, though.

Actually, my doggie has been a bit of a disappointment in the lip department. I could spend hours playing with those charming little globules on her lips, spreading them across her teeth like little starfish, or just waggling them back and forth. For some reason, this seems to annoy her.

3. He’ll be here all week…try the veal!

4. It’s Cruise ship Day on Cute overload!!!!! Wanders over to the Labrador room for my evening entertainment fresh from the captains table.

5. metsakins says:

I sense a New Jersey theme going here. Is there any other Paramus but Paramus, NJ?

btw – I’d like to see someone with a cat do that! Seriously I’d like to see what they look like after they try.

6. so lame whats up with you youre so a geek

7. Thanks for the flashback – my sister and I loved those wobbly finger puppets when we were kids. :)

8. Heyyy… I remember those finger puppets. My dentist used to give me one whenever I went to see him.

….Ow. My face hurts suddenly for some reason.

9. That is either one very PATIENT dog, or one very SLEEPY dog. :) Either way, this is very definitely cute.
    I’m going to steal some Cute Overload space, and I hope nobody minds. Thought I’d share this with the animal loving community, since my own friends don’t seem to “get” my love for my pets: My Weimaraner, Scout, passed away Monday morning. She blessed this planet with her presence for almost fifteen years, and was the sweetest, funniest, most loyal and gentle creature I have EVER known. She has gotten me through 3 trans-Atlantic moves, my teen years, breakups with boyfriends, and my divorce- all with a few slobbery kisses and by sitting ON me on the couch. A rescue dog at 6 months old, she never once showed any signs of the mistreatment and lack of love she had endured, and was just a sweet girl through and through. I know in my heart she’s up in Heaven, playing with her litter mate Kiowa and they’re tearing up God’s lawn now and stealing food off of His counters. :) Free from pain and her disabled body- hope you’re the first “person” I see when I get where you are, Puppy.

10. Von Zeppelin says:

Kelsey, may God hold you close as you say goodbye to your friend. Been there, done that–we never forget them.

11. Kelsey, yep…Scout will be there waiting for you as my little ones are there for me. I wish people could have the unconditional love and sweetness that animals have.

12. Thank you Von Z. I miss her like a soul mate.

13. Oh Kelsey…so, so sorry. Scout is up in heaven chasing my kitty Challis and pal-in’ around with my pooches Misty & Maggie.

14. Kelsey –
    blessings to you. We “get” it here. And yes, I firmly beleive Scout will be waiting for you in heaven. Personally, I am counting on being mobbed by a herd of kitties, a few guinea pigs, and a bunny when I get there.

15. metsakins says:

((((hugs)))) to Kelsey

16. Poor Kelsey :-( It’s never easy. *hug*

17. wow. floppy gummulence!

18. Kelsey – In case you haven’t seen this poem before….

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown

19. oh geez, Blondie – now I’m cryin in my cube…

and back to the pics – I love big mellow dogs. I saw a great dane while I was at my vet’s office the other day, it was the size of a freakin horse! weighed 177 lbs. very cool dog, appeared to be very laid back. someday i would like a puppers like that.

20. Resriechan says:

@ Kelsey: our sincerest condolences (can you see the HUGE crowd of us, waving — in silly manners, of course– at you, from across the Amer/Canadian border???)

And “Scout” is a WON-derful name for a furry companion. I’m imagining either something lovely & profound (such as the daughter of Atticus Finch, the lawyer, in To Kill a Mockingbird. BTW, did you already know, that Scout is written in semi-autobiogr. description of Harper Lee– the author–‘s childhood?? So it’s really doubly deep/ philosophical)….or else just for “kids”/ “fun” association.

You have a huge crowd of “We love (very nearly) every possible animal beyond average hooman reach” either behind you; or in your front yard:

We’ll be here waitin’ whenever you need a grin or a shoulder ….

21. @Kelsey, if anyone is gonna “get it,” the peeps who frequent CO probably would. My heart goes out to you. I sent my beloved 17-year-old Stinky Cat to RB around a year ago, and that seriously knocked the stuffing out of me. He was with me through all those life transitions that you shared with Scout. It seems that they live long enough to thoroughly colonize your heart, and then they’re gone.

22. Argyle Donkeypants says:

@ Kelsey: My condolences on losing Scout. I’ve always felt that we’re not so much these animals’ owners or their masters as we are a combination of steward and protector during their all-too-brief time with us. As many good memories as you have of Scout, she had twice as many good ones of you, and that is a gift. I hope you gain peace as time passes.

23. Argyle Donkeypants says:

AND, because getting all misty-eyed isn’t allowable at work:

So I go to see my psychiatrist and I say Doc you gotta help me I’m a tepee I’m a wigwam I’m a tepee I’m a wigwam and he interrupts me and says Relax! You’re two tents!

24. PS Paramus?!!! I sense a motif!

25. Resriechan says:

Now, on the NTM: lissen, guy we already have acknowledged yer brilliance & all, so give — whassup with the “Dogmouth District”? I did the obligatory search in “Wikipedia” & di-unt even find a clever double entendre for it, there

(or will Request for Information, cause one of those pesky Commentroversies? If so, gimme a minute & let me contact Auntie Mame & recommend that she prepare a Mint Julep & sit back)

26. georgina0912 says:

Stuff on my dog?

27. @Argyle D: I’ve just added your joke to the signature block for my work email. :D Thanks for making my day.

28. Blondie – ok…you made me cry at my desk at work!!! Wow…what a sweet, sad poem…made me think of my dog who I lost back in 2003. It was so rough – my grandfather passed away, and we had to fly from NJ to TX for the funeral…my dog was so sick (going to the bathroom and not realizing it, not able to use his hind legs) and my dad had to put him down that same weekend…VERY difficult to lose your 14 year old Golden/Lab mix and your grandfather all in one weekend :-(

Kelsey – my heart goes out to you. There is NOTHING like the unconditional love of an animal. No better feeling than to come home to a wagging tail, and have your tears wiped away by a puppy tongue. Hope your heart heals <3

29. georgina0912 says:

Kelsey…it doesn’t take much for me to get all teary eyed. Like you i have lost pets, and it is so hard to say goodbye, but our hearts are at peace because they were able to love them in ways that not many people understand. Stay strong, someday you will see Scout again, and i will see Candy, Valka, Dubi, my parakeets, my turtles, my…and my….

Sigh, now back to work :(

30. Trabb's Boy says:

Oh, Kelsey, my heart goes out to you. How incredibly sad to lose such an awesome friend.

I’m a firm believer in getting a new pet right away, myself. Pets are so individual that of course you aren’t getting a replacement! But nothing soothes a hurt and reminds you of life’s joys than a puppy or kitten in the house. And by the time your heart feels ready to let someone new in, you’ll find they’re already there.

All the best, however you make it through.

31. freetomato says:

Kelsey, I’m sending hugs your way. I know just how you are feeling. I had to say goodbye to my 14 year old Chocolate Lab Jody two weeks ago. I still look for her around the house and have to remind myself she is gone :( Hubby picked up her ashes from the vet today. We are going to sprinkle them in the river where she loved to swim and throw a tennis ball in afterward, so some other doggy can find it and have as much fun as she did.

This is a haiku I wrote for her shortly before we lost her:

Old dog creaky bones
    But young pup with tennis ball
    A yellow ball gives you youth

32. ButtaRumCake says:

*big ol’ hugs to Kelsey*

I had to put my tabby, Tika, down some years ago. She owned me for 16 years. As I opened the carrier @ the vet’s office, she looked at me with those big old hazel/green eyes, I snuggled her one last time & she mew’d a weak “g’bye mommy”.
    The nurse had to escort me out of the building…I was a crying, blubbering, MESS.

*sigh*

All that to say, I feel your pain & I wish you all the best *hugs*

33. Kelsy, I’m so sorry for your loss. You have a lot of sympathetic folks here who understand how hard this is.

34. Hugs all around to CO peeps who’ve lost their ani-pals, whether it happened last week or last year. Kelsey and freetomato, special hugs. The CO community was incredibly supportive of me when I lost my kitteh in July–keep the love flowing, people.

35. MamaDawn in Tulsa says:

@Kelsey… I lost my weim last year so I get it totally, but now Scout and my Gracie are romping and sniffing every other pet they can find. Your CO friends send big zen hugs (the hugs we would give you if you were here and we could…)

36. Dearest Kelsey Hugs to you. Our time with our pets is too short and the sweetness they bestow on us is beyond compare.

My deepest sympathies and as has been said before Scout will be waiting for you.

37. @Kk3- thank you. The world would be a better place if they did.
    @ Suzanne- She would be brave enough to chase them, but if they turned around- she’d fake dead, and would totally let them take her over, lol. She couldn’t hurt a fly- she was just “pretend” tough. ;)
    @Ceejoe- I knew you guys would. And when I get to Heaven, after I’ve hugged and greeted Scoutie, I’m going to look out for a human sized, furry heap of assorted animals with you under them.
    @Metsakins and Kittykye- hugs appreciated, and enthusiastically returned.
    @Blondie- that was just what I needed. Thank you so very much for sharing that with me. I’ve sent it to my Mom (Scout had her wrapped around her paw) and my Dad (who slept on the hardwood floor next to her bed all night, with just a couch pillow and a blanket, and was still there in the morning laying next to her as she passed on)- and I know that that poem will mean the world to them too.
    @ Resriechan- There must be MILLIONS of you! I’m totally waving back and smiling through bleary eyes. (I did not know that about Harper Lee. I loved the character, Scout- she didn’t seem to know how to stay out of trouble, much like myself AND my dog.)
    @Theresa- So very true. I feel like I’ve lost a sibling. 15 years is a long time to love someone and for her to just be GONE now, it’s really hard. I’m sorry for the loss of your Stinky Cat too- I’m sure you still miss your little buddy.
    @A. Donkey Pants- I feel the same way. They’re too good for this world, that’s why they don’t have to stay here as long. Thanks for the laugh too- that was MUCH needed.
    @Debbie- No there isn’t. We’re going to watch home movies of her and us when we were little. We have her playing with us, and my most treasured: her playing with my son. Love in its purest form.
    @ Georgina0912- I can’t wait for the day. And what a wonderful menagerie you get to look forward to reuniting with!
    @ Trabb’s Boy- Thank you. Now is not the time, unfortunately. I’m not in my own home, and my baby and I are crashing with my parents until I can get us a safe place to live. The second that lease or mortgage is signed, I’m going down to the shelter and getting a dog who has been through as much as we have been through and we’ll start fresh together. :)

[Righteous. Take care, Kelsey. – Ed.]

38. Kelsey-and everyone who feels this dreadful pain right now, one day at a time, your memories will sting at first but then become a wonderful narrative to your life from now on. Scout is worth all of your (our?) tears, and that is what tears are for. Stick with us, kiddo, and let our fellow Peeps work their magic.
    Best wishes, condolences and warm wishes that you will find a new animal companion adventure soon. Your friend, K.

39. That is a finger puppet and a pinball machine part! Those finger puppets were used on the game “Scared Stiff”. It was an Elivira themed pinball machine and those style finger puppets were used for “Boogie Men” on the game board!

40. Kelsey, take care of yourself, and feel loved (’cause you are). I, too, look to meet pets on the other side; thus share this special pain with you and all other anipal lovers. ((hugs)), and waves.

41. @ Argyle Donkeypants – I was all teary eyed at Kelsey’s loss, and then your joke made me laugh out loud. I will also incorportate that stupid joke somewhere in my internet life, just havent figured out where yet!

This site is the absolute greatest.

42. Kelsey, I too know the pain of losing a beloved pet. The pain lessens but it never completely goes away. About 2 weeks after I lost my Ozzy dog in 2007, I looked at one of his silliest pictures and his eyes were telling me, “Mommy, it’s time to go find another little boy to love.” And so I did.

43. Von Zeppelin says:

Kelsey, if I may add another note: Thank you for sharing this hard time on this site. Since I read your post this morning, I’ve been remembering my dear, dear old Goldie that we returned to the Creator five years ago. I still miss her, but it has been sweet to recall what a happy, joy-bringing dog she was. It also makes me appreciate even more the two crazy characters that share my life now (Sam and Max, Freelance Dogs). In your loss, you have given me a gift today. I am sure I am not the only one around here who feels this way.

44. So funny! Esp the first one.

45. …and then my favorite donut shop just closed. Yeah, the owner was tired of the hole business.

*crickets chirping*

46. Resriechan says:

—“Wow!!! Lookit all those CRICKETS !!! THEY ARE BEAU-tiful!!!”

47. Resriechan says:

VonZep: as always, eloquent & moving. Made me hafta catch my breath — truly.

48. I may be dating myself but isn’t that “finger puppet” a Freakie – as in the cereal, Freakies…..?
    “We never miss a meal
    Cuz we love our cereal….”

49. @Resriechan #47 – I must agree.

@VZ – me loves me some Steve Purcell!

50. Resriechan says:

(tryin’ HARD to come up with a punchline from the coincidental phrase “dating myself” (in the socializing version, not the “old geezer” version
    (# 47, Bunna ) without implying anything untoward unkind. Nothing messy when it has to do with CO folks…

(Sound effects of brain spinning around in head….)

51. Miss Ridgewood says:

Meeeeeg? Are you from… North Jersey? The Montclair kitties a few days ago, and now Paramus. Are we going to get a Ho-Ho-Kus joke next?

52. Kelsey, my heart goes out to you. I had to let my Toby go on 3/30/09 and I am not sure I’ll ever be the same…
    Just know that you did the kindest thing you could do for Scout – you had the courage to release her from pain. Prayers and Love to you and to Scout who is, no doubt playing with my Toby and the others that have gone before him.

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.

53. I love those finger puppets! PerpetualKid.com gives you one in every order. I have one sitting on my desk as we speak. It’s pretty awesome.

54. Felicityanne says:

@ Kelsey: My (only) daughter, Jess, then aged 19, returning from the vet where Odie, our 19-year-old marmalade cat, had just died: “He was my brother, Mum”.

55. @ Felicityanne: that really choked me up. Jess had never known a day in her life without her brother, Odie. I can’t think of a better way to express how important these furry angels are to us. *heart*

56. Kelsey – I echo what everyone else has said. When the day comes that either of mine crosses the bridge, I will be inconsolable… I’m sending you happy thoughts of good times being well spent with Scout. ((((HUGS))))

57. @Kelsey . . . So sorry about Scout. Big hugs to you.

Jessy

58. So I go into my psychiatrist’s office and I say, “Doc, I think I’m invisible” and he says “Sorry, I can’t see you now . . .”

59. Resriechan says:

Jessy: not bad, not bad a’tall!!

(crowd cheers wildly: really !! Look up in comment #20; I told Kelsey we were all crowded across from the Canadian border to encourage her )

60. Oh boy, now I’m choked up. It is so nice to be among people who really *get it.*

To Kelsey and everyone else who has lost their pets, I’m sending big hugs your way. I, too, know what you are going through, and how incredibly hard it is.

I lost my beautiful Golden boy, Bo, last month. He was taken away from us way too soon — he was only 6. He brought so much joy to our lives in his too-short life, and I believe he’s still taking care of us from wherever he is. Every day, I feel like I’m one step closer to letting go of the pain and embracing the joy that be brought us. That’s his last gift to us.

61. resriechan says:

@ Leslie/ # 60

(wow, this feels rather like I’m talking to myself, here)

Our deepest cuddles & condolences. Take it easy !!! Find a smile here & there when you can! Sounds like *you* also brought joy to *his* life, as well, ya know!

62. OMG! I was just playing with one of these all day today!