Catnap on a Map? Oh, Snap!

Mountain View, CA — Google today announced an update to its Google Maps application.  The popular mapping tool, which already highlights areas of high traffic density, will also display which streets have been overrun by giant kitties.

4058491606_293337ba0a_o

4057751013_a0ae72978d_o

Actual story: The map wall is part of a new playroom for animals at the Montclair, NJ animal shelter, designed for free by students of Montclair State University. Story, more photos here.  Spotted by Erin N.

Comments

1. My kitties WANT that room.

2. Resriechan says:

(wondering if I’ll get to use my punchline *AND be first poster (sorry editors))

Can someone give me directions, to the areas described, in the Traffic Reports??

(PS — some sense here, of the film Ghostbusters; where the media are reporting on the attacks by the Giant Michelin Man….)

Signed (earworm, anyone?)
    “Do You Know the Way to San Jose?”

3. Resriechan says:

(PSs: just opened the link to MSU — which the Editors so sagely provided — and indeed, the webpage there DOES give directions to the University & presumably to the KittyCat Room !!)

4. All roads on the map should lead to my house.

5. exqueeze me, but can you direct me to the Qte? oh yeah, we’re already there!!

6. Awww. Kittehs look well-cared for. Shelter: UR DOIN IT RITE

7. That room rocks.

8. Aw, that’s awesome! Only problem is now the kitties won’t want to be adopted! :P

9. Soo jealous – want room in my house then fill with kitties and cats….

It’s too bad that the shelter seems to be getting negatives comments about it’s policies including it’s a “KILL shelter”. :(

10. AuntieMame says:

Well, there are worse things that could happen to an animal than to be humanely euthanized. They could be cooped up forever in an overcrowded shelter…

11. bookmonstercats says:

Looks like my late marmie girl. She didn’t have such a big moustache, though.

BTW, has the “Cats in Sinks” site been hacked? Just paid my daily visit and it seems so.

12. Eww. Kill Shelter? No Bueno.

Nuff Nuff. Even if it is a nice fancy kitty catwalk of a room. Those poor babies.

13. The Geisel family just called.

You do have an attorney on retainer, right Mike?

[I do not care how much they sue,
    I will not pay them; no can do.
    I will not pay them on a train,
    I will not pay them in the rain.
    I will not pay them on a ram,
    I will not pay them, Kar I Am. -- Mike]

14. @bookmonstercats, I think so too. I’ve tried going to that page for 2 days and getting the same message.

Cute kitty!

15. Teester, non-kill shelters have less room and therefore have to turn away many cats… which means that even kitties that are brought to no-kill shelters end up abandoned or at kill shelters. And as someone who has volunteered at many “kill” shelters, I know that the people that work for at them do whatever they can to not have to put down any animals and are always heart-broken when they have to. Instead of nuffing about shelters that aren’t no-kill, why not donate money to these places so that they can expand and make room for more kitties and don’t have to put any down. Or how about supporting low-cost spade clinics to help reduce the amount of unwanted kitties? There are even shelters that capture non-domestic kitties, have them fixed, and them re-release them to their territory, which is a great thing. The point I’m trying to make: no-kill shelters don’t do any more good than other shelters.

As for this makeover, I am soooo jealous! Those homeless kitties deserve such a wonderful home, and I’m so happy for them. I looked at all the pictures and couldn’t stop awwwwwing! :D

16. @Mike – your comment on #13 – brilliant.

17. I am grateful for no-kill shelters, because my furry girl came from one where she had been for an entire year. But I also understand that if all shelters were no-kill, they’d be packed to the rafters with abandoned pets. Let’s put the blame where it belongs – not on the shelters, which are doing the best they can with the situation they’ve got, but with the people who fail to spay/neuter their pets and cause there to be unwanted dogs and cats in the first place. (And with people who adopt a cute puppy or kitten and then abandon it when it turns out to be actual work to care for. Yes, there are sometimes good reasons that one has to give up a pet – but there are also lots and lots of bad reasons.)

Sorry for the rant. Carry on.

18. Resriechan says:

@ Kar aka Dr. Geisel, Jr:

WOW You am good.

Signed,
    A Librariologist & previous to that
    A Major in French & minors in German & Russkie.

19. Yes, that room rox! Can you imagine what a room for hamsters would look like? The “Tube,” man, the “Tube.”

20. I :heart: Mike. I really do.

And furry kitties.

And people who look after unwanted animals when no one else will.

21. I work at a library that has benefited greatly from the largesse of Mrs Geisel so bring on the lawsuits! Sue! Sue! Sue!

22. Resriechan says:

OMG I’m like SOOOOOOO STOOOOOPID

That was (NotThatMiketheother)Mike, responding TO ya !!!

I hereby relinquish most claims (just can’t quite make meself promise to relinquish all claims to my languages & library coursework; it was too much FUN )

to bein’ whut they call a edified purrson.

(ps I wrote this up about 30 minutes ago but in the meantime I had to put out some fires and herd some kitties)
    Mea culpa. Je m’excuse. Do-itashi-mashte. & etc.

23. Argyle Donkeypants says:

It had better have a cat flap, or it’s all claptrap.

24. luv the mustachio on kitty #1!
    yay! the kitties are happy with their room! luv happy kitties too.

25. cool I live 1 town away in Bloomfield NJ! great shelter by the way!

26. There’s milk moustaches, but this is the first chocolate milk moustache I’ve ever seen. Hee-hee! Cuuute.

27. Camille, I’m right with you. :)

28. WendyPinNJ says:

Well, I see Amy G already addressed the “no kill” myth, so I’m off the hook. And looks like Camille covered who is really to blame. So, no nuff’n for me today! Phew.

Anyhoo, reese120, seems we’re “neighbors.” I’m just down the road in Maplewood. When I looked at those pictures, I knew I recognized those street names!

29. Seems like the cats like to play rough. Grove St. has dropped completely off the wall.

30. 5^^now8ing says:

I wanta go to street view!

31. cool wendypinnj

32. i used to work on park st!

33. Wow. Google is doing 3D now! You put on the special glasses, and see kittehs climbingt he walls. Er, streets.

Dr. NTMTOM — see I KNEW you were a Dr. Seuss in training. There goes the health care system…..

34. Google should look into that.

35. :lol: I think my kitty, Dooley, would just LOVE a room like that :lol:

36. Ooh, I worked at that shelter when I was a wee college student!

37. ButtaRumCake says:

YAY!! I’m minutes from Montclair, NJ – must pay a visit…

No…wait…I can’t. As much as I LOOOOOOOVE kitties, I can’t financially support one right now *cry*, so there’s no use in my going if I can’t take one (read SEVERAL) home with me *whines*bawls*sobs*

38. ButtaRumCake says:

*waves* @ Reese120 – I lived in Belleville all my life, then moved to Newark. Howya doin’ neighbor? *smiles*

39. ButtaRumCake says:

*waves* @ WendyPinNJ – my doc’s in Maplewood (Boyden & Springfield) HI NEIGHBOR!! LOL

40. Resriechan says:

A) (Is the following, the same as EVERYONE ELSE’s story? My sister married a guy from maybe Pt Pleasant NJ. They now live in a fabulously old fabulously renovated Olde Barne House — Bob Vila would be pos. GREEN w/ envy– in Wall TownSHIP NJ — Qu: why did they need to add the term “Township”??? Anyway– is this anywheres in the general vicinity of the whole Montclair thing — or ENTIRELY on the opposite edge….?)

B) @ ButtaRumCake: DEF feel yer pain. And the “can’t afford to only get one so I’m not even allowing myself to take the bus that GOES to that neighborhood, etc.”
    thing. I’m that way, both about animal shelters *AND* about books. As you might infer, I don’t let myself out, very much (giggle).

41. This is a greaat design! It adds color in such a creative way.