Much Like the Rhythm, the Shame is Gonna Get You

Just as he did every afternoon, Sanford told his friends he was headed out to the river to relax while listening to Bach and Mozart. He didn’t like to lie, but the shame of the truth was too great: Alone on the waters, he’d place those ear phones on his head, and disappear in the sweet, sweet sounds of (similarly coiffed) Richard Marx.

Maybe I'll be able to patch that hole in Ma's washtub with some of Wendell's mashed potatoes.

And, you’re welcome:

I turn my nose up at the Riverbottom Nightmare Band.

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you, Angie C.

Comments

1. Resriechan says:

Bliss. Pure, fuzzy (albeit moderately damply fuzzy) *Bliss*.

Amen.

2. that’s ot-terriffic!

3. Snozz-hance!!!!!

4. Resriechan says:

(And such a lovely nose-hance. OK, Prongs, here ’tis: “Thank you, ever so kindly!”)

5. Must.Not.Do.It. Must.Not. Don’t.Do.It. Argh! Hold ‘er back! No! Don’t!

BEEP! Beep beep bEEP BEEP!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

6. Hmmm. I see the “blorp” tag. Not sure he fits my personal definition of “blorp”. He’s too fuzzy.

7. Courtney S. says:

Emmett Otter’s Jugband Christmas FTW!

8. For some odd reason, when I look at that picture I hear: “Near… Far… Wherever you are…”

9. BEEEEEEEEEEEEP

10. I love those little live bobber, so playfull and funny :-)

11. Betty Ford says:

I lerve, lerve, LEEEEERVE Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas! I still watch it every year w/ my fam. Great hover-props to a great Jim Henson legacy show. Nothing can be out of sorts when ‘there ain’t no hole in the washtub’.

12. BouvieGal says:

LOVE the Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Xmas shout-out! I am now having flashbacks and must go find the book for my two boys….

13. Courtney S. says:

Ahh, yes. I too am on the Henson-Muppets bandwagon. “Fraggle Rock,” anyone?

14. ButtaRumCake says:

EMMET OTTER!! *SQUEEEEEEEEEEE*SPLODE*

15. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

Could’ve been worse. Could’ve been listening to this.

16. Thanks a lot, NomTom, guess what I’ve got stuck in my head now??
    Love the otter, though. Beep!

17. otters = SQUEEEEEE!

18. For the first time in my life: I want to kiss an otter.

19. Ooh, Prongs rockin’ the evil earworm thing! I’m so proud… :twisted:

(and NomTom too!)

20. BeckyMonster says:

Prongs!

Rock on for the Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas reference. I happen to own the DVD, and yes, I get a little choked up at the end when the tavern owner gives the Otter family a job singing every night even though they didn’t win the band contest.

21. … and the sauce from the mix jist stays there furever if you ever git it under your naaaaiils!

22. LOL you all go into your Otter band reverie

I am lost in the Marx… Ohhhh how I love that voice.

And Yes he is similarly Coiffed HEhehehe

23. metsakins says:

Otter, otter, otter, otter. Beep!

24. I have competing earworms!!!! ARGH!!!!

Cute otter!

25. Nose-hance!!!! *thud* I’m sure most of you guys have seen the otters-holding-hands video? That turned me into an otterphile forever. <3

There's no shame in having bad taste in music! For example, I actually enjoy listening to Celine Dion at Christmas time…. and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Well, not completely ashamed. :P

26. Arghhh NTMTOM Rats now I have beenRick Rolled

Some one needs to tell him he Absolutely should not be dancing LOL

27. Awt! Just ~lookit~ that little smirk on his face. *hee*

28. HEAD EXPLODIEZ.

OTTTTEEEERRRFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!

29. For those of us who never heard the Otter band, here you go Emmet Otters Jug Band Christmas-Barbeque
    I had never heard it before LOL very very cute.

30. I have always thought that otters were just about the cutest babehs out there – besides, of course, puppies.

SQUEE~

31. LOVE. THAT. NOSE!!!!!!!!

32. There otter be a law.

Alternate time: Otternative music OR Otter bliss :-)

33. OMG I know you’re not scoffing at the Riverbottom Nightmare Band! That was the *best part*!

“we walk down the street, we’re dangerous when we are NEEARR!”

34. @NTMTOM: D’OH!!!

PS: BEEP!

35. Resriechan says:

@ NTM / Comment # 16: Must I join some type of __________’s Anon. group, if I actually *gasp* can ENJOY Rick & that song?????

@ BeckyMonster: Underdogs are always the most fun to watch, in the long run (sigh, lone tear falls down cheek), aren’t they?????

(Rushes off to email QoD while she’s in a Work Cubicle, that “There’s an Otter in the CO House !!”)

36. PS Is he wearing the bathing suit that Grandma Otter wore?

37. Your nails won’t break and your toes won’t stub
    You never get a fever when there ain’t no hole in the washtuuuuuub!

38. The contented pawsies placement and poifect nozzicle are soooo sweet!

39. I must keess him! I must!

40. He eees a river otter? Soooo relaxed and must have been dozing for sometime — nose looks dry!

41. Otter – sweeeeet!
    Earworms – ooooowww! The pain, the pain…

kittyadventures – too true about the dancing! Not only do I need some Bach or Mozart to get rid of the earworm, but I could use some eyebleach too!

(Beep!)

42. AuntieMame says:

Well, I like Richard Marx. And Celine Dion. And Michael Bolton (the only pop artist I’ve ever heard who didn’t sound like $h!t singing with Pavarotti). So there. :P

That being said, this is about the fourth earworm that has been inflicted on me this morning. I can’t keep up!

Oh well. Schnozz-hance! BEEEEEP!

43. Emmet Otter reference FTW!

44. @ Auntie Mame ME too…. although Bolton did belong to the sreamers (artists who scream rather than sing) he did turn out rather good once he matured.

45. Rooanne, he’s very much a sea otter! They’re much more fluffier and have those big ol’ noses :D This little guy looks like he’s pretty content, I’d love to be able to just lie back and float around for a while without a care in the world. With a sea otter to hug.

46. Apparently, I had somehow never managed to hear of Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas. This is a travesty because I am a huge Muppets fan. Thanks to Theo’s hovertext and all you awesome CO peeps, I know it now! I wasted a huge part of my day watching excerpts from it on YouTube.

Next year, I am totally getting some friends together to dress as the Riverbottom Nightmare Band for Halloween.

Also, otters are so cute they make my head asplode. EVERY TIME. *Squee!!*

47. Mousesong says:

*whimpers*

Seriously I keep trying to come up with a comment but it’s so cute all I can do…

*whimpers*

48. Yay Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas!!!!!

49. victoreia says:

@AuntieMame: do we need a Celine Dion Fans Anonymous club? I’ll be the treasurer! (Any membership fees can buy new CDs……)

50. Michael Claymore says:

At least he’s not listening to Michael Buble.

51. fatlablove says:

emmet otter’s jugband christmas is the best christmas special EVER.

52. “I’m not listening to you…ladee..ladee la..”

53. Your reference to my beloved “Emmett Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas” just makes me love this site all the more. Ahn.

54. man, CO is giving me everything I could ever want…first a wombat, then Emmett Otter references!

55. Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas is out on DVD?!?

56. ZOMG! I love you for the Emmet Otter ref! I loved that show so. The DVD release is an edited version, and poorly edited at that. So sad. :(

“you got any mashed po-tay-toes?”

57. otters…? cute…? why, yes, i now think they are.
    and thankyouverymuch for the enhance.

58. In case you’d like to see Milo live…

59. OMG…I love the Emmett Otter reference! I actually named my cat Emmett!

60. Daphne Moss says:

The LEEPS…fuzzy fat otter LEEPS!

61. modestmouse says:

he just really looked like he was jammin’. so i gave him something to listen to.