Those Smiles Are Fake

Really? You’re just going to stand there on the other side of the glass and take pictures? I’m just waiting for the day when the only thing that separates us is your mask. If I were you – and I’m glad that I’m not – I’d learn how to wield that snorkel like a sword, capesh?

Why so blue?

Photo courtesy of Timm Schamberger/AFP/Getty Images

Comments

1. I’ve always wondered if they’re really “smiling”. Guess this answers my question, heh.

2. Definitely more of a smirk.

3. I think you mean, “capisce?”

[LOL. Cetaceans are notoriously bad at Italian pronunciation. ;) - Ed.]

4. I’ve always interpreted the expression to mean, “You think you’re sentient? Buddy, you don’t know the MEANING of the word sentient!”

5. O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!
    My tables,—meet it is I set it down,
    That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain:
    At least I ’m sure it may be so in Denmark.

6. Hah! I like seeing a not-smiling dolphin.

7. AuntieMame says:

“Meddling on Porpoise”???

Heehee!

8. Why the long face?

9. Yep, they’re fake alright. I can tell by the pixels. ;)

10. He looks like Ernst Stavro Blofeld after being asked: Do you expect me to talk?

11. earlybird1 says:

“No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.” Hee hee!

12. nancy wisser says:

Loving those eye capsules!

13. Dolphins aways seem so happy and carefree… not like this dolphin… he scares me OwO

14. baileysgrandmom says:

The whole thing just seems a little fishy to me…

15. I would get tired of all the hairless apes gawking at me all day, too, Mr. Blue.

16. Von Zeppelin says:

“Do you expect me to talk?” “Nope. So long, and thanks for all the fish.” (James Bond is momentarily confused by finding himself in the wrong mythos.)

(By the way, it was Goldfinger, not Blofeld, who asked that question of Bond as the laser crept ever closer to the Bond Family Jewels.)

17. Well, I read that in a fight between the shark and the dolphyn the dolphin usually wins.

18. platedlizard says:

@brinnann

and by having seen many shoops in my time!

19. @ Von Zeppelin Zut alors, you are correct sir, but for the picture Blofeld (with a french accent sounds like a dolphin’s blow hole) just sounds better.

20. Von Zeppelin says:

@Gigi, I agree that the whale looks quite Blofeldian–especially like the cetacean stare of my personal favorite Blofeld, Donald Pleasence from “You Only Live Twice.”

21. Von Zeppelin says:

@platedlizard: You have seen many shoops in your time? How about shoo-bop-de-bops? Or bomp-de-bomps? (rehearses lengthy catalog of doo-wop ululations)

22. Mary (the first). says:

Now see, right there, is one of the things I love about CO. Within 20 “comments” we have gone from the beautiful blue cetacean, to singing “doo wop” . No where else, could that hapen. NO WHERE, I tell you!!

[It's drizzly and cold outside; I'm thinking dinner will be SOUP tonight - Ed.]

23. @brinnann: roflol!!

Someone who obviously followed last week’s “Prongs Commentroversy”

24. Ditto, Mary (the first)- it is snowing here on the Great Steppes of Central Connecticut. Kids will be dressing up like Santa for Hallowe’en!

Yes, another topic entirely!

Love to all,
    K.

25. Sure he’s not singing “Louie Louie”?

26. @HappyCat, I remember that “Far Side” cartoon!

27. clickyfrog says:

Oh man. It took me a minute of looking at this picture before I realized what it was. I thought it was some strange, deformed narwhal dolphin hybrid.

Want to see it too? Imagine the left (for us) fin to be its snout. Or what the right term may be.

Good luck unseeing it.

28. Who put the bop in the bop-shu-bop-shu-bop? Who put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong?

(It was Barry Mann, btw).

29. the bug man says:

@clickyfrog: Wait… imagine the what to be the what? Hang on… the fin on the left….

Oh. Oh, man.

That looks like a narwhal crossed with a hummingbird. Or something.

30. Is anyone else thinking of the Simpsons episode where the dolphins rise up and take over after Lisa frees their leader from a water park!?!?

@Theo: how do I embed the vid from here:

!?

31. A cetacean getting above his station.

32. Here’s looking at you, kid

33. Clickyfrog, yeah, I also got Narwhal, and after several seconds of wondering why it looked so odd– even for a Narwhal– the image magically rearranged itself. Now… hummingbird? not so much…

34. @Theresa: I miss Gary Larson! I’m a biologist, and we ‘ologists’ knew we were in trouble when our work lives left off resembling Gary Larson’s cartoons and became more like Dilbert’s…Dilbert is great, but much more corporate and removed from what we liked to think of ourselves as….

35. I love Mr. Blue’s Mona Lisa smile. :)

36. clickyfrog- Yep! Definatly creepy!

37. pinkmariposas says:

OK peeps someone pleeze splain this one to me
    as My lil befuddled and sleepy brain thinks
    he is sticking his tongue out at us
    yikes if so Gene Simmons has met his match!
    Oh help me pleeze I might have nightymares!!!

38. darkshines says:

I think this dolphin is the Tom Waits of the ocean, I bet he drinks his whiskey from a jar and smokes 40 a day….

39. shoop, shoop ba doop a doop a shoop….

You’re a shotgun – bang! What’s up with that thang?
    I wanna know how does it hang?
    Straight up, wait up, hold up, Mr. Lover
    Like Prince said you’re a sexy mutha-

LOL.

40. pinkmariposas says:

OK my lightbulb just went off, I looked and looked at this pic again
    and now see the smirk….geez my brains is hurting from
    too much thinking today….

41. Mmmmmmmm….Chicken of the Sea noodle soup!