The Panda Had the Right Idea

Damn it, Carl! Did you just eat peanut butter-covered anchovies? You know how allergic I am! Well, when you’re driving in rush hour traffic to take me to the emergency room, I hope this moment will be worth it for you!

Drive-by lickings are on the rise.

My God, Florence. Have you no control? I can’t even give you a simple hug without you blowing your backdoor trumpet. And no, calling them “misdirected burps” does not make them more endearing.

In an attempt to make a giant shadow puppet, they forgot one key element.

There has to be a way of getting out of going to Carl and Francine’s dinner party. Those two are bad enough, but throw in Florence and Hank…? I’d rather sit here alone and count cinder blocks.

I'd like to be alone for a little while, if you don't mind.

Photos courtesy of AP/San Diego Zoo/Tammy Spratt; AP/Martin Meissner; Reuters/Jason Lee

Comments

1. Panda looks to me like he’s having a time-out for some sort of panda misbehavior.

2. I *want* those leetle black bears, whatever they are.

3. ceejoe, they’re Bornean sun bears – also sometimes called “monkey bears” for their arboreal antics.

also, i feel for the lonely contemplative panda. has he tried online dating?

4. Looloobelle says:

OMG!! I have never seen the _back_ of a panda before!!! How is it possible for the back of an animal to be EVEN CUTER than the front?! Is it the reverse v-neck? The legs spread so far apart? The FLUFFABLE EARS?

*goes to take a lie down*

5. I’m just so struck by the polar bears! It may be just my imagination, but in this captured moment they look like the most affectionate, huggy, content bears. And the look of bliss on the face of the one being held! Wow! Makes me feel good all over! Yay! :)

6. OMG That last hovertext is SO wrong! :lol:

7. Von Zeppelin says:

Sunbear in pic #1: “For God’s sake, cut it out! Everybody can see us!”

8. Imagine if bears really had dinner parties.

9. Poor panda he looks so lonely after seeing the other pics lol
    but i agree with Camille he does looks like he is grounded

10. Peanut butter-covered anchovies…that actually sounds kind of intriguing. I may try that for my snack tonight.

11. Zen-posed Panda Bum Wrinkles = Awesome.

12. Lindsay, I hear the Teddy Bears have picnics.

13. Drive-by lickings! LMAO! *snort* HAHAHAHA!

14. I’m torn between the exasperated look of the lick-ee in pic #1 and the adorable panda posterior. I would suspect the lickee is embarrassed because his teen age bear friends are within eye sight (Mom…cut it out…the guys will see!) and Panda has definitely been sent to time out and is contemplating his misdeeds with the appropriate show of remorse (at least from the back…for all I know he could be plotting someone’s demise from the front).

15. @Lindsay

Or picnics! When I went out to the woods that day, I should’nt have gone alone. Every bear that ever there was, every bear, I tell you. Every bear. Gathered about, playing and shouting until about six…

16. skippymom says:

@doggabone, were they gaily gadding about? Next time wear a disguise!

p.s. I love it that you have the Schblatz Beer kitten as your avatar.

17. skippymom says:

Ed., thanks for fixing my spelling, and for the link. I can’t get enough of that little dude.

[ ;) - Ed.]

18. Mary (the first). says:

@Sher (5) I agree 100% ! I love that picture the most of anything right now! They look SOOO happy.. and in love .. etc. I love polar bears, anyway, but that’s a great photo.

19. LOVE the polar bears! They look so snuggly, and there is NO “backdoor trumpet” going on… just huggable, happy bliss!

20. i believe the polar bear is practicing its bjj. the other polar bear is tapping out underwater because of the uber choke hold.

21. I just adore that polar bear photo!

22. GreyandWhite Kitty says:

Beartastic! It’s all very sweet.

23. That first bear looks so freaked out. My guess is that his friend was eating a peanut buttered egg that was rolled in shrimp paste.

24. There’s nothing cuter than the back of a panda’s head. Those ears are simply adorable!

25. Thanks, Brinnan, for the Earworm. Teho, am passing on having the earwhatsamacallit: it looks too painful.

[What, the Earwyvern? OK, how's about some nice Eargelatinouscube? ;) - Ed.]

26. Ed- Umm, tempting, but no. Thank you. (Backs away, very slowly, holding hands inconspicuoulsy over ears)

27. It’s kinda like the Panda’s watching TV and ignoring you.

28. Is it just me, or is that panda giving off a serious Winnie-the-Pooh vibe? I can totally see him sitting there, tapping his paw to his forehead, think-think-thinking.

29. It’s bearly believable bears have bottom burps

30. I want to count blocks with the panda.

31. @Holli #29: I am totally with you there! He’s definitely having a Pooh moment. I’m expecting Tigger to come bouncing into the room.

10/14/1926 – the very first Winnie the Pooh was published.

How appropriate that this was posted that same day in 2009.

32. my Dad called them low flying ducks

33. OOOH! We just saw the Panders at the National Zoo in DC last Friday. I have some great shots of them eating their frozen apple juice with apples and pears in a bundt pan treat. The baby panda, who we only got to see through the glass was a hoot! He had one arm draped over his face like, “Just leave me! I can’t go on!!!” It was too cute.
    Zoo on Friday, National Aquarium in Baltimore on Saturday

34. gravyboat says:

Pandas are just the cee-YOO-test!

35. Kristabelle-wow, beautiful family, beautiful pictures-thanks! K.

That panda just got put in ‘time out’, I’m afraid. Do love the legs spread out like a tripod with the buttsky. Back to ‘Tocktober!

Blondie- your theory is also entirely plausible. Happy 10/14 Winnie the Pooh Day!

36. ButtaRumCake says:

Wow – I haven’t posted here since you guys moved into the new digs! *looks around* I liiiikes!
    Anyhooo – I *squeed* very loudly at the Panda ‘tox. Woulda been even cuter if his head was tilted slightly to the right ala Forest Gump *giggles*

~Butta

37. Katrina – I’m not in any of the photos – just my hubby. The family are our friends from Pittsburgh who came down – they ARE quite the handsome family. :) And thanks!

38. Oh my gosh, hahahaha, I can NOT get over the look on the one bear’s face in that first photo! Hahaha, amazing!

39. Awww who put baby in the corner.

In trouble again.!

40. Kristabelle- well, Pittsburgh grows some pretty families! Thanks again for the pix! K.

41. There are no baby pandas at the National Zoo in DC.

42. the little bears are so adorable and I think what is happening is one is trying to hold the other and say you are not going anywhere till I give you a kiss.

43. Meyer has on multiple occasions stated that, in accordance with her Mormon belief, 10% of all  her profits for all things Twilight go to the Mormon church. ,

44. so cute really cute

45. just love the bear time………………..
    speaking of bear my dog is called bear! funny name ay!