The Weed With Roots in Hell!

Concerned citizens!  Beware the growing scourge of our nation’s kitties: Pot addiction.  This desperate craving plunges innocent kitties into a nightmare of depravity, squandering their youth in so-called “pot parties.”  Parents, does your kitty have a pot habit?  Look for these warning signs:

• Preference for squeezing into round spaces instead of boxes;
  • Furtively reading gardening magazines;
  • An involuntary twitching at the words mulch, sphagnum, and photosynthesis.

image

Our thanks to upstanding citizen Leany A.

Comments

1. Resriechan says:

Okay, I got this one, guyz & galz:

“That’s all the MEWS, that’s “fit” TWO print !!”

Signed,

Not only did I never inhale, I never even picked up a joint (fer reel, doods)
    (Now “picking up” AT a “joint”, …..)

2. Sweeeeeeet!

3. This could possibly change my mind about gardening. But surely this is the seedling of a tree?

4. Awwww, the worried look on the tabby’s face is breaking my heart.

5. To do list:
    1) Pick up new clay pots for balcony
    2) Buy soil
    3) Find perfect sunny spot
    4) Grow weeds

6. they’re cuddling up trying to get warm… take them inside and give them a warm fuzzzy bed… and snuggles!

7. Kitn bouquet!

8. I will be planting these in my garden next year!

What kind of coat is on the kitty on the right? I’ve never seen that black with bits of white, looks a little like soft and snorgly porcupine!

9. Resriechan says:

Okay, the COP (CuteOverloadPoll) for the Day

(Hey, Meg et al — actually, that might not be a bad idea you could do a Y/N poll ea day & that would allow folks to just express preferences: cats v dogs, Hello Kitty v. Harley Davidson, etc……..Discuss — or maybe you all already considered that, in committee???)

ANYway– Here is my suggestion for COP #1:

Statement #1: I have seen the film “Reefer Madness”. True False

Statement #2: I had to get high on Reefer, in order to endure
    the film “Reefer Madness”
    (Please note: CUTEOVERLOAD DOES NOT AND NEVER WOULD CONDONE The USEyaddayaddayaddayadda ) True False

10. 260Oakley says:

Please, everybody knows you’re not supposed to let your kitteh seedlings get pot-bound like this. Take them out and separate their root systems (gardening gloves or leather gauntlets recommended).

11. Is that a smoke on the right? So pretty!

12. Poor kittehs! We need an intervention. Stat!

13. Jenn in IL says:

The blue eyes…THE BLUE EYES!!!! *falls dead*

14. P.S. — Pets in Pots! :)

15. The only cure for their addiction is IMMEDIATE shnorgling. Stat!

16. Tsk tsk, those poor yutes. And as we all know, pot is a gateway container.

17. Todays gardening class will be discussing the correct care and maintenance of the rare plant Kittenia. Note that in this pot we have two different varietals growing together … It is suggested that you do not keep them contained in the same pot for very long as they are antagonistic to one another. One should also use great caution as it has been noted that Kittenia has a strong addictive quality. Many people have found that once they have one Kttenia they must have more and find they need to handle it more often until they are reduced to a quivering puddle of goo on the garden path.

18. metsakins says:

This is nothing new. When I was a teenager in the the Bronx, my cat Little One gave birth on our porch to pot addicted kitties. This forced us to take many photos and squee incessantly (and occassionally place them in the pots for our own amusement)!

19. Quick people! Get these kittehs some square boxes, STAT! Or rectangle. Anything but round pots! We need an intervention NOW!

In response to the poll:
    1. True
    2. True

20. Heh, I know a few peeps with this exact addiction. This one here, not that otter one. Well ok I know a few with that too but I’m nawt namin names, I’m a lover nawt a squealer.

Wait, *looks at Kittenia plants again* ok nevermind, I AM a squealer!

SQUEE! There, done.

21. Trabb's Boy says:

Aww. The one on the left has a definite “but I was in here bleenth!” expression.

22. feckineejit says:

I don’t want to bring the tone down or anything but:

unlike alcohol, pot is NOT addictive.

unlike alcohol, pot can not kill you.

unlike alcohol, pot doesn’t make you a beligerent A-hole.

so why is pot illegal again?

[I don't want to bring the tone back up or anything, but you did notice that those are actually cats, right? - Ed.]

23. Yay! Kitties AND an Eddie Izzard reference – well done, sir!

24. Anne Packrat says:

Good lord, are there actually three kittens in that pot?

It always amazes me the small spaces cats can get into….

25. Feckineejit… I have a brother who was a pot head and if he had his druthers he still would be but his job precludes it most thankfully as far as I am concerned.

He was as a****le on pot.. if he was smoking it today he would be an a****le on pot..yes his personality when he smoked it…and he was and still is addicted to it. HE smoked a lot of it and is always only a step away from smoking it again.
    I am sure just like alcohol it is addicting for some and not for others.but to hear him talk about how wonderful it was and to know the anguish it caused his children you would not be so happy to make it legal.

Do I think they should legalize it??? I am torn on this .. because of what I saw it do to
    my brother and his family… while understanding that people should be able to choose their own poison so to speak
    so legalize it or not??? but don’t for a second think it isn’t addicting. as is many other things we use in our society that are legal.

26. this proves that cats not only don’t have bones, but are actually in the gas state – they will conform perfectly to the shape of any container.

27. Sigh Ed you can kill my post if you need to.
    Goes back to the garden to smell the Kittenia.

28. @Resriechan: Comment 1: you ROCK.

Poll: True/True. I’m thinking you might know a couple guys from a few years ago. They did a handful of movies involving just such an addiction. One of them ran for office – became mayor or something. Cheech & Chong? LOL!

I don’t think I would separate them, I think they just need a bigger box, er… pot.

29. Parents: does your kitteh seem to be hanging out with new friends of questionable character?

30. *runs to deck, plops down disappointed to find no kitties in my pots*

31. @Kathryn: LOL!

32. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Now THAT’S cute!

33. Kathryn: I LOLed at the pot headed wabbit. We had a comedian in the UK called
    Tommy Cooper, part of his act was as a magician in a fez, whos tricks went wrong, but finally worked, he literally died on stage and on camera.
    I’ve been planting bulbs for next spring, one year, having dug the hole for bulbs one of my cats came along “Great a pre-dug hole, lets have a pee” I can’t remember if they grew any better or worse from there unplanned feed.

34. Resriechan says:

D’OH!!!!!!!

WHY ARE COMPUTERS DETERMINED TO RUIN MY EVERY EFFORT TO…..
    D’OH !!!!

I WANT TO GO BACK “TO T”YPEWRITERS THEY ARE NOWHERE NEAR AS SNEAKY (grrr)

To Various above: I just wrote a comment w/ responses to a few of the above and the stooooooopid computer systme;lkj;asdlfjk;askladvgi;ahj sd[vfo jkao;ejkt,ivo;w4iltho;

I MIGHT come back later to reconstruct theal;skjdfl;ka ;ksdl’fjakl; hoilfyuqioeu59pomumumumumuqvo4u9poqumo; but then again ……….

[LOL wut? - Ed.]

35. @ Resriechan – Merde de merde de merde!!!!! I just had the same computer problem you had.

And to answer your poll
    #1 Big YES I eve bought a copy.
    #2 No, don’t need it, I’m naturally f***up.

36. Poll:
    1. yes
    2. no, which is why I actually remember the 60s. :D

Allthough I can attest to the addictive power of the kitteh. Once you sample one, then you have to have more!

@Kathyrn, those pictures were awesome!!! Thank you thank you for posting and brightening my p**py day.

37. @Saffron — really, we appreciate the decorum, but you don’t need to self-censor “parpy”. ;)

38. Don’t bogart that pot, my friend,
    Pass it over to me

Jump in another one
    Just like the other one
    This one’s full to the end
    Come on and be a real friend
    (ppurrrrrrrrrrrrrr).

39. Resriechan says:

um….Theo…..(as per my buddy from Queens, NYC)

“Here’s the thing” ………..

maybe……Just mebbe Saffron IS excruciatingly proper & protective of our group innocence……or maybe s/he was actually abbreviating a word which is an English synonym for the French term “merde”.

(If you need a translation diagram, just send me an email. It’s in the CO Comment box. I don’t charge a lot for my translation svcs)

Signed,
    Voltaire the Second

40. feckineejit says:

Kittyadventures…I am so sorry that your brother is an a*****e, pot did not make him an a*****e. Just like Pot doesn’t make people lazy, but it is a great excuse for those who are lazy.

Is pot addictive? as for proof of this it is not known, because the US federal government does not allow scientific studies on the effects of THC.

Alcohol IS addictive, and destructive and deadly. alcohol kills hundreds of thousands every year directly and indirectly. POT has never killed a single person ever, bags of cheetos however, yes pot has led to rampant destruction of those.3

And as for the picture cats are a riot – my cat still tries to squeeze into the shoebox he used as a kitten. I would point out that his butt is too big for it but I don’t want him to be self concious.

[Dude, pot hasn't done you any favors in the human-relations dept. - Ed.]

41. I, for one, was rather confused as to why Saffron should need brightening on a “puppy” day.

[Hehehe - Ed.]

42. Being a “pothead” ( professional potter) for the last 15 years my only complaint is these sweet babies are in plastic pots ! Doesn’t everybody know kittens look much more stylish in ceramic pots ??

(shameless plug ahead……..)
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POTTER!

I just wish there was a way to share my “Barooo?” pigs with you all with out turning Meg’s blog into a commercial. :o( (sigh) I’m too computer ignorant to try face book or you tube.

[You have pigs that say "Baroo" ?? Sounds like it's worth your learning how to use YouTube to me... - Ed.]

43. Those eyes, they’re full of stars.

44. Sadly, I don’t get nearly enough sunlight on my patio to grow these….. :((

45. Methinks these little ones will become rootbound if they are not transferred to a larger pot….

The black one is gorgeous–I love the blue eyes and the flecks of white. And of course I do love tabbies, too, especially those with worried little faces.

46. @ Ed. I even have one pig (actually a piggy bank) that has “Barooo? ”
    written on it’s belly all because of this blog ! I even used some pics you all posted for ear placement !

47. BeckyMonster says:

Boxes are a gateway drug. Who knew?!?!?!?!?!

48. Bring us! …….. A SHRUBBERY! (duh dun!!)

I am Roger the Shrubber, er Potter!

49. PS the M stands for MWAH. mwah, mwah, mwah. Poor kitty! Don’t be eskeered! I’ll take yous home wif me and feed yous tunaz. (tabby kitty) That odder kittey looks like trubz…. plotting behind them innocents eyeses….

50. what, did they go to boxhab only start using pot(s)?

51. @Paunchie…Ni! Ni!

@Theo and brinnann :D :D

Are boxes a gateway? Then Maru is in trouble….

52. feckineejit says:

sorry Ed, I get a little testy when people say pot is addictive. I will say unequivocally that kittens in pots are addictive. Betcha can’t snorg just one!

[And I get a little testy when people think just because they sparked one in college, they're some kind of authority on my brain chemistry. You want to debate currently-illegal substances, do it in the proper forum, and Cute Overload ain't it. - Ed.]

53. so melty!

54. Theadosia says:

The kittens are gorgeous. I wish I could have got a picture of my neighbour’s fluffy little tortoiseshell squashing my potted nastursiums. It was quite an interesting colour combination.

Feckineejit, pot can cause personality changes and trigger full-blown psychosis in people with the right (or wrong) genetics. I’m one of them. Ten minutes of exposure to second-hand smoke at a party and I was having full on hallucinations. I did not enjoy the experience.

55. :oops:

56. @Aqua – bingo!

57. In other news around the bay the following plants have been earmarked as cat-astrophic in the garden…
    catmint, catnip, cattails, cats claw, cats ears and Cattleya, not ot mentionc Catalpa and catananache caerulea ( which must mean cats rule)

This reporter would like to point out that not one of these plants is anywhere near as nice as kittenia as they do not have fur or purr.

58. For what it’s worth, after living in Jersey I can unequivocally say that every a$$h0le I knew smoked pot.

That was enough correlation for my younger self.

That might explain that highlighting on the one to the right though. Seriously, is that a smoke?

59. Kar I think it is just a black kitty with white hairs sprinkled all over we have one of our tuxedo kitties that has this going on only he has short hair instead of long like this kitten has.

This link shows some pictures of Bongo the third picture down shows the sprinkling of hairs off really well.

60. Resriechan says:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand in Related Mews (rimshot here :( )

(Evid. I’ll have to take the time to take others advice & go back to FIND the link and——-WHINE WHINE WHINE P*SS MOAN yucky pooh..etc etc & soforth)

AAAAAAANyway:
    KittyAdventures won the Nobel Peace Prize for Vocabularic Amazingness
    (official abbreviation N.PP/ VA)

today — Tuesday, October 13 (?– just guessin’ too much goin’ on today to slow down to read a date; true story my ac unit gave out today among other Plagues which afflicted the vicinity of my life)….

“And that’s the way it was”

(ok, is everyone sittin’ down, for this?)

— NotthatJim (but instead)
    –MARLIN PERKINS, from Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom

61. Don Giovanni says:

@Theadosia LOL!! Hallucinations…right…hmmmm…you sure there aren’t any other underlying issues going on there?

62. Mary (the first). says:

Love the black/white tipped kitteh colors! They’re both adorable. I love them. Thanks

(@Ed, I’m with you, buddy.)

63. Aw, they’re adorable. I’m normally a sucker for marmies and tabbies, but the black one with the white whiskers all over his body… so gorgeous!

As for the addictiveness of pot, well I don’t think it’s as addictive as box. Box addiction is so normalized nowadays, people forget that it’s even an issue. Role models like Maru just add to the problem. People say pot is a gateway container, but I’d say everyone who uses pot got started on box. And let’s not forget sink. Once a sinkie, always a sinkie, living with the awful knowledge that someday, someone will turn the tap on you.

64. @ Cath and let us not forget the not as well known addiction to Tupperware containers…. like the sink addiction once a tuppie always a tuppie!

65. AWW :D Those two kitties look ripe enough to pick :D I would pick both of them :twisted: and take them home with me for SNORGLING and pets :twisted: as well as feedings and love for as long as they both live :D

66. “Once a Tuppie…” LOL

67. Space Cowgirl says:

AmyJ took the words right out of my fingers – black kitteh must be part porcupine!

68. Huh, I’ve never seen a tuxie like that. It’s like Bongo’s got some bling. Very high rent.

69. berthaservant says:

My vet in california gave my cat a special prescription so it’s all legal.

70. *exasperated sigh*
    FIRST it’s catnip…and now THIS???!!! What will the kids get into next???

71. [quietly pushes away potted kitty behind her with toe]

[whistles innocently]

72. Resriechan says:

OMG B’servant !! HIII!!!!! Great to “see” ya !

HonGlad and I just YESTERDAY were trying to figure out why we haven’t heard from Pyrit or Wannadance or you for quite awhile.

If I remember what I read from you sometime in the past couple of weeks, you told Theo that you’ve been job-hunting. We all hope that you (AND Bertha, of COURSE) are doin’ okay…..

73. Resriechan says:

@ Blondie #28:

“Awwww, shucks!! Thanks!!”
    In re. Ch/Ch: Their first couple of films were when I was about 15 years old. (I AM ancient, I know !) Since I didn’t partake of any of that there Mary Juana, I didn’t go to those films (I knew I’d have to sit in a theater with 200 people who were mostly potsmokers). However…I was surrounded by three older brothers who …..well, see, um, they *might* have grown some oregano….ifyaknowwhutAhmean&I thinkyou do??????????????

74. metsakins says:

Look none of this pot smoking compares to the dangers of burning poison ivy.

(sorry, couldn’t help myself)

75. Reminds me of the time I accidentally locked my cat in the sun-room overnight. She had no litter there obviously, so she used the only “scratchable” there: a clay flower pot with dirt in it (but no plant yet). It was a really small pot, too… So after apologizing to her profusely, I couldn’t help but giggle at the thought of her perched on top of that little clay pot, in that funny position… !! Poor, sweet kitty!

76. Awww… I love the colorings of the black cat!! So pretty!!!

77. @kittieadventures: Yes, you’re quite right. Tupperware addiction… such a shame. It really worried me the other day to see Maru experimenting with that plastic drawer. It’s clearly Tupperware in the guise of just an “extra special” box. Well, we know it’ll pack a powerful punch, and we know why (sigh). Please, won’t somebody think of the children?!

78. @metsakins: My partner has a story of a friend who accidentally set fire to a patch of poison ivy, then stomped on the flames to extinguish them. He ended up in hospital.

79. Resriechan says:

@ Cath:

to quote a popular phrase:
    “Now THAT hadda hurt!!!”
    (I’m starting to feel itchy, just READING your story !)

80. @Wolfie: I tell you what, it would not have bothered my Boo-ba-doo. The litter boxes are plenty big, but he preferred to perch on the corner of the box to do his biz.

81. catloveschanel says:

I know this is non-sequitor, but that’s my middle name. Besides, I’ve been on vacation.
    They should try Catwalk Roots Volumizer. That was my immediate thought.

82. @Babs: Boo-ba-doo (!!!) sounds like a purrfect candidate for learning to use human toilets!

83. Theadosia says:

@Don Giovanni

The underlying issue is the gene. If you have it and smoke regularly, then there’s a much higher chance than normal of developing schizophrenia. There was a piece about it in New Scientist not that long ago. Pot isn’t the only trigger, and I evidently have a very sensitive version to be set off that easily, but yes, if you’ve got the wrong genes, pot can cause hallucinations, psychosis and schizoid type personality changes. Suffice to say, it isn’t a good idea to consume the stuff in any form if you have a family history of schizophrenia, bipolar or schizoid personality.

84. Daphne Moss says:

*quick gulping, blinking*
    Oh. Oh, dear. I can’t take the blue eyes. The tiny upturned fur faces. The trust ….
    OOH NO NOT THE TRUST …

85. There is a difference between being psychologically “addicted” to something and being physically addicted to it. When people say pot’s not addictive, they usually mean that it doesn’t create physical dependence, the way many other drugs (alcohol, cocaine, caffeine, etc.) do, which is true. You can certainly become psychologically dependent on marijuana, though, just like sex, the Internet, and pretty much anything that makes you feel good. That’s not to say that there aren’t other issues with the drug, though.

I wish I could get some pests like that in our garden, though. All we get are deer and buns, who look much snorglier from far away than they do… oh, who am I kidding, I can never get close up. :( What do I have to plant to get a kitten infestation?

86. Ok, I wasn’t gunna post it but since were talking about cats in pots…
    This is Siri, she’s sleeping in a pot of catnip. I grew it just for her so she would stay on the porch all day and she did. She’s gone now (1994-2007) but I miss her daily. On a side note, she LOVED dogs and hated other cats.

87. How’d that happen? Pics didn’t post? Hmm…Lemme try again.

88. metsakins says:

@Emily, one female, un nuetered adult cat should be all you need.

89. metsakins says:

@heather -she’s beautiful, allow me to present Happy Huggy and catnip.

Huggy passed April of this year.

90. Don Giovanni says:

@ Theadosia Yes, I’m familiar with the article that you’re referring to. I was also involved with collecting and analyzing data from a similar study that demonstrated there is a higher risk of developing schizophrenia or schizotypal disorders with long-term exposure to THC (i.e., daily use and/or exposure over a number of years). I’ve just never heard of anybody developing hallucinations after 10 minutes of second-hand exposure. You’ve sparked my curiosity (no pun intended).

91. Aww the black cat looks just like my cat Kitty! So cute! I love that pic. LOL