The Sarah Bernhardt of hamsters

Sender-Inner Courtney S. says: “This is my robo dwarf hammie. When I hold him (he hates to be held) he flops on his back and just gives up. He’s over dramatic.”

overdramatic

[The famous Sarah Bernhardt fainting spell is here]

Comments

1. Look at those teefs!

2. With your hands on your hips,
    You bring your knees in tight!
    But it’s the pelvic thrust that really drives you insay-ay-ay-ay-ane
    Let’s do the Ham Warp again!

3. Love the whisker fan and tiny teeth!

4. She has just been scolded by Mr. Manager. Where is her paper fainting couch?

5. Cute-1-1, what is your emergency?

6. That is hysterical–let’s hear it for melodramatic hamsters!

7. @birdcage…

oooooooo tappy tappy tappity tap tap, tappy tappy tappity tap tap tap taaaaaaa….

hey, waitta minnit. ah don’t know how to tappy tap; well, that was dumb, got carried away, the jig is up. busted.

a big fan, birdcage…tappy tappy tappity…

8. Oh, the humanity!

Um, I mean… hamsternity?

9. Kentucky Kitty says:

The only thing missing is a teeeensy lace handkerchief clutched in one of those paws!

10. That is so funny!! Animals are endless sources of entertainment…. I think I might be getting close to Overload (runs to squish the cat)

11. Oh! Thay-it 180 degray whiskah splayage! Git the smellin’ sawlts!

12. What a cute little piece of popcorn! <3

13. Sarah Bernham? (Awful awful pun. Sorry.)

That is one ham of a ham, in any case.

[I might just use that, in any case. ;) - Ed.]

14. (from the secret diary of hammie) Saw cat bring in dead mouse; human captor emitted loud noise and refused to touch it. Am going to try playing dead–may avert that “pick you up and snorgle” tactic of the human’s.

15. ROFL @ the little dramatic hammy.

16. Von Zeppelin says:

“Thousands paid homage today to Pope Rodentius IV as he lay in state, wearing the traditional white, fur-trimmed papal vestments. (Choir intones “Dies Irae” in very high, squeeky voices)

17. I get like that after eating Thanksgiving Dinner. Same exact facial expression as well.

18. Hammy must have looked in a mirror and passed out from the cuteness it saw.

19. Please don’t do this too often! We wouldn’t want little hammie to have a heart attack….

20. *note 2 self* read related thred before commenting on new one :blush:

21. Frequently accused of chewing the scenery… literally.

22. Bonus points to whomever can name the play the famous Bernhardt fainting scene is from

23. Isn’t this from Camille?
    My dog is named after Miss B. When she won’t come I sometimes call her saying “curtain call for Miss B five minutes”.

24. Joan of Arc?

25. No, it was “Zaire”!

26. JohnnieCanuck says:

Is this what they mean when they talk about someone acting all emo? At least his nail polish isn’t black, yet. Courtney, who’s influencing who?

27. @Von Zep, the upside is that the papal ring is so tiny, it was very easy to break.
    PS Rodentius IV??? Who were the other three???

28. Von Zeppelin says:

Theresa:
    Rodentius I (reigned AD 526-538), was, in his youth, a pagan sewer rat of Rome. As a young rat, he was converted to Christianity by gnawing through a copy of the Rule of St. Benedict.
    St. Rodentius II “The Wise” (reigned AD 982-998), a gerbil who presided at the Council of Gorgonzola, which declared processed cheese an abomination punishable by anathematization.
    Rodentius III “The Magnificent” (reigned 1521-1533), before his papal election, Cardinal Giuseppe Porcellino d’India commissioned many works of painting, sculpture, poetry and music. As Pope, he was responsible for the construction of the Exercise Wheel of Padua and other grand buildings in the style of the High Renaissance.

29. Argyle Donkeypants says:

@ Von Zep, I’m moving into your world. Expect the first shipment of boxes on Thursday.

30. what a dram ham

31. @VonZep: :hedsplode:

32. Then.Don’t.Hold.Him.
    It’s an animal. Not a creature in which you can project your own human complex moods in.

[Or yours either, for that matter - Ed.]

33. How can it be that no has said this? Little ham is playing possum.

34. PS Shouldn’t that be Porcellino di Cavia?

35. Von Zeppelin says:

Theresa, you’re thinking of his cousin, Ludovico Porcellino di Cavia, Duke of Parmigiano.

(Actually, I had not the slightest idea of what the Italian for “guinea pig” was, so I Googled up a quicky translation. It gave me 1) cavia, 2) porcellino d’india. I chose the second because it sounded funnier.)

36. Now I’m just imagining different rodents in big, Renaissance-style swagger portraits. Hee hee!

37. I looked it up in my English/Italian Dictionary and according to my Larousse dictionary porcellino d’india means the animal while cavia mean the subject of an experiment.

38. Von Zeppelin says:

Apparently “Cavia” is also the Latin genus name for guinea pigs.

39. Larousse always saves the day.

40. Cambridge_Rat_Mom says:

I want whiskers like that! They sparkle in the sunlight.

41. It’s dead, Jim.

42. KatieZientek says:

I didn’t know hamsters could play dead.

43. When I first got my hamster he was just weened and very scared, when I tried to pick him up he would flip over thrash his little legs and screech (which sounded like EEEEEE). Eventually he got over it and became cuddly.

44. Queen of Dork says:

I think this ham should get a teeny, weeny, tiny golden Oscar! :)

45. It looks like a powder puff. It gave me visions of using it to apply makeup and little clouds of CoverGirl rising from it. LOL. I wouldn’t really do that, but wouldn’t it be FUN to have hamster SHAPED powder puffs? lol

46. When I first saw the name Robo Dwarf in the pet store, I couldn’t stop laughing.

47. curious fact. Sarah Berhardt had a wooden leg. She had injured her knee with too many leaps from the battlements in La Tosca a play by Sardou.
    The original leg is still preserved in formaldheyde in Bordeaux University.

48. “Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati.”
    Where are his suspenders??
    (Props to all who get this)

49. When all else fails, play dead.

I’m not sure about the suspenders, tho.

50. ROFL!

51. berthaservant says:

Even MORE true fact to add to Hon Glad’s: Bernhardt played “Hamlet” with one leg in her 70s!

Of course, the debate rages on to this day, but personally I prefer the work of Ms. Eleanora Duse. Let’s see the ham do some work that’s a bit more internal and subtle, less gestural.

52. Hahaha, I’d be worried the lil furry blob would roll out of my hand…..so precious!

53. *Drops Dead* just like little hammie. oh the cuteness, the feets, the little fluffy tubby tummy!

54. I love how hammy popes always serve for 12 years. That’s quite a tradition.

55. Another killer, Von Zep!! “….Exercise Wheel of Padua…” , way too funny.

56. HAM BALL, anyone?

57. Andi from NC says:

@Von Zep – inspired!!!

58. Leslie (NTA) says:

Memo: when Meg becomes bored with running the Universe,
    Von Zep will take office.

Thank you.

59. Leslie (NTA) says:

And Bserv:

wow — you do nice analysis, (& adverbs), there !

60. Leslie (NTA) says:

PS @ VZ:

Please elucidate further, if your time allows (I understand that you have many Important Things To Do & might be unable to take the time to provide this service). However, if someone in your Explaining Things Division is available, please request supporting documentation on the following:

In what manner, does one Anathematize Someone (See Comment # 29, Sentence # 2)? What hardware/ equipment is required?

Thank you.

61. B’Serv – How’s the relocation working out?

62. EvilStepQueen says:

HAHAHAHA, this one just killed me XP dead…yep!! “He just gives up. He’s over dramatic” OMG OMG LOL I hate when my pets are over dramatic LOL HAHAHAHA I don’t know why this stuck me as being so funny. “I haz da vapurz” LMAO hahaha!!! Thanks for the larff!!

63. Von Zeppelin says:

Leslie (NTA), you may recall the scene in the movie “Becket” of the excommunication of King Peter O’Toole. Archbishop Richard Burton, surrounded by a phalanx of cowled monks holding candles that were about four feet tall, reads the sentence of excommunication and interdict, and, at the end, the monks cast their candles down to the stone floor of the cathedral. Should work for anathematization, maybe with a dramatic clap of thunder just for effect.

64. Hammie teef! So precious . . .

65. @VonZep, it helps no end if the officiant has a Richard Burton voice– unfortunately most Catholic clergy do not seem to have this endowment. Perhaps a loan or exhange program can be worked out with the Royal Shakespeare Company or National Theatre.

66. And perhaps they should be holding flaming spears of broccoli? Just sayin’…
    Sorry, just imagining a hammy all dun up so proper in vestments and such and standing at the pulpit/alter and everyone’s all quaking in fearful anticipation of his judgment, then out comes this squeaky ham voice. Gives me the giggles.

67. Metz- OK who blabbed and told you about the Yom Kippur ceremonies? Now we have to think up some other keen ones. *sheesh*.

I am so pleased that when the Brothers and Sisters of St. Rodentius left, this was their destination. Yes, they can reach very high pitches, luckily Killer has a wonderful ear and she was able to transpose them down several octaves so I could indeed hear them.

“When falling is all there is” …please fill in the rest of the sentence, if you dare.

Those whiskers bespeak that he comes from a good family. What a ham.

68. Von Zeppelin says:

@Theresa, I agree on the Vox Burtonis. These dramatic ceremonies pronouncing doom on some hapless penitent just don’t work in a cheerful Barry Fitzgerald brogue.

69. :giggles: He made my day!

70. Leslie (NTA) says:

@ VonZep: Thank you for the Dramatic Notes on this Classic Rendition. I now feel fully prepared, should the Orange Park (aka Mayberry RFD) Community Theater decide to enact this presentation.

In re the Vox Burtonis. If he is presently Actually Dead (as opposed
    to being — dare I say it? Yes, I do dare — “Not Quite Dead Yet” — “Bringoutcherdead!” — May I suggest, that you consider contacting
    James. Earl. Jones:

“This………………..is ……………………..C……………………N………………………N…………”

71. James Earl would be just about perfect:
    Here’s the scene, BTW:

72. Von Zeppelin says:

Thank you, Theresa, for the clip. I see I misremembered the scene–I thought it was the king being excommunicated, but it was, in fact, Lord Gilbert (whoever the hell he was). I suppose to excommunicate the king, you would need more monks and bigger candles.

73. @VonZep, I forget what Lord Gil did, but King Peter O’Toole (aka Henry II) narrowly avoided excommunication and the whole kit and caboodle of the kingdom coming under the interdict. It all did happen later, though, during the reign of King John.

74. Leslie (NTA) says:

@ VonZep:

“….more monks & bigger candles….”

[snerk].

75. My mother always used to call me Sarah Bernhardt when I was little. I have NO idea WHY should would do that! :mrgreen:

76. …SHE would do that. Sheesh. :blush:

77. Leslie (NTA) says:

@ Kristabelle: I’m gonna apologize to you, BEFORE I do this. However I feel it might be relevant background data to our CO peers ……

I’m sorry, Kristabelle. Please forgive me for the following.

Your mom mighta CALLED you SB. Evidently MY mom felt stringently about my being SB’s understudy. You won’t believe this, but, ’tis true, I promise:

MY mom FOUND fabric w/ a Toulouse-Lautrec PRINT of S B
    (all flow-y & ArtsNouveau-Y) …..and (yup, she’s fearless & not at all snuggly)

MADE ME A NIGHTIE out of the SB fabric. Many therapists have found this an interesting incident & scribbled furiously in their binders when told of this gift.

78. @Von Zeppelin

I applaud your ability to Gopher Baroque.

79. berthaservant says:

Hi Hon Glad! (and all) — I’m doing well but busy busy busy, teaching four classes and developing three new ones for next semester! Sorry I haven’t been able to post with as much regularity but I look up and suddenly I’m two days behind…love to all!

80. Oh Adorable !!!

81. Leslie (NTA) says:

BTW– peeps, DO take a MINE-oot minute, to open the link w/ the S Bernhardt fainting graphique — c’est magnifique!!!!! Puts “drama” a la Jerry Springer, to shame!!!

82. “I surrender! Please don’t tickle me!”

83. One of my robbies used to sleep like that. Freaked me out the first time I saw it….

84. He’s a dramatic chubster! good job!

85. courtneyism says:

My nail polish is dark green! But I have been called over-dramatic by my mum. He’s a funny little guy, thanks for the post and comments!
    Fun fact, Robo Dwarfs can run up to twenty miles in a night (provided they have a proper wheel)!

86. Wow, Leslie – I’m sure your therapists had a field day with that one!!! :lol:

87. Resriechan (Formerly L, NTA) says:

@ Kristabelle — yeh, you know, mi Madre no esta subtle nor so very snuggly ….

88. a new side of gandalf!

89. Queen of Dork says:

courtneyism: Twenty miles in a night! I could not do that on my best day. (You may want to have a peek at the Hamster Tracker site).

90. @Queen, I’ve seen it! really cool. Gandalf upgraded cages today everyone. He has way too much roomz now to gallivant.

91. hahahah i cant stop laughing when i see this picture