What Is This, a G.I. Joke?

Hey, kid–do l look like a toy?  You see “Made in Taiwan” stamped on me, like I’m some kinda toy here to frickin’ amuse you?  Get a kung-fu grip, pal.  I’m not a taxi service for your little action figures, so tell Paratrooper Paul here to say “Geronimo”!

1249656489840

Comments

1. I think poor Paul here better parachute off!

2. xD!!!

It’s Pesto from the Goodfeathers cartoons on Animaniacs!

3. Leslie (NTA) says:

Here’s the first reference to an action soldier figure (war) mounted on a Dove (ok, maybe it’s a Pigeon; you get the idea tho’)
    Anyhow — pic & story kinda cute; thanx, NTM !!!

4. Leslie (NTA) says:

PS; just noticed the tag “& now you know”; HUH? wha’ gives w/ dat?

5. Courtney S. says:

@Leslie (NTA):
    That was the G.I. Joe slogan from the 80s, with the cartoon and whatnot…

“And now you know. G.I. Joe!”

Trying to do the whole public service announcements for kidlets. Not as quite as memorable as “This is your brain on drugs” with the smashed egg, but there you have it.

6. Guys, sadly that is not a real GI Joe figure or a real combat bird from the 1980s … both fakes! lol

7. No squab-bling. It is, after all, a carrier pigeon.

8. fish eye no miko says:

Leslie (NTA) said: “(ok, maybe it’s a Pigeon; you get the idea tho’)”

Pigeons and doves are part of the same family (Columbidae), so the confusion is understandable. ^_^

“Get a king-fu grip”. Nice… ^_^

9. Leslie (NTA) says:

Wow, these CO folks are SO in the KNOW & so helpful w/ info (jeez, no matter how I started, it all kept rhyming!) Thx folks for the immediate provision of pertinent data. I shoulda known …my own da’ was in the military but
    1) Navy
    2)He RETIRED from the navy in ….you guessed it, 1979….so that prob provides some logic for, my not knowing the Army slogan ca 1980!!!!

10. HA …..”get a king-fu grip”….

NTMTOM, does stuff like that float around your brain just lookin for a chance to pop out?

11. The Flying Rat Patrol

12. MoonCatty says:

Hey soldier dude, Passenger Pigeons are extinct… take a hike!

13. are you cooin’ wit my bird?

14. I’m willing to bet this picture is better than the movie!

[I'm keeping my money in my pocket. :lol: - Ed.]

15. Psst: It’s “Now you know, and knowing Is 1/2 the Battle.”
    (sorry my little bro FORCED me to watch every time GI Joe was on).

And yes, I too heard Pesto’s voice reading the captioning. I have no excuse for that, nor for instantly singing the entire Animaniacs Theme song once I thought of it.

16. Animaniacs FTW!

17. victoreia says:

Am I seeing things, or is the bird’s tongue sticking out?

[No, but that would be funny... - Ed.]

18. Hovertext = WIN. :D

19. I really hope this is an animainiacs reference. I love that show.

20. “GI Joe, le plus grand de tous les héroooos!”
    French slogan in an advertisement, meaning, the biggest of all the heroes, simply. ;-p

Anyway, loving the dove there! Always those lovely looks from the sides ;-D .

And hovertext is great! You’re good NTMTOM !

21. If boidy could be trained to poop on command, it could be a usefull weapon.

22. What a beautifully captured photo! So fantastic.

23. love it NOMTOM!

@ hon glad: i almost snorted water at the screen! lol!

24. GI Joe says, “How do you get down from a dove?”
    (yuk yuk yuk)

25. Deborah Kogan says:

Several years ago, there was a British animated movie named “Valiant”, about a trained carrier pigeon used by the Allies in World War II. It was loosely based on a true story and the pigeon won the Dickon Medal for bravery, awarded by the British for animals that helped in the war effort. The actual name of the pigeon was (and I’m not making this up) “G.I. Joe”. Despite having a leg shot off, he warned headquarters in time to prevent hundreds of soldiers from being killed by friendly fire.

26. Kristabelle says:

NOMTOM posts always crack me up! :lol:

27. shelbershob says:

Wow. I mean, I’ve laughed out loud at my fair share of NOMTOM captions, but I literally shed tears at this caption. The expression on the bird’s face is absolutely priceless.

28. I think the photographer is trying to show how the peace dove is going to fly off with the soldier, and leave peace in his place!