I Got’cher Thumbs-up Right Here

By now, you’ve probably noticed a new “thumbs up/thumbs down” rating system for comments.  Even though we at CuteLabs thrive on the cutting edge of Cuteology, we know that some have had trouble adjusting to the change.  We understand, and we listen — because we care.

And like all new ideas, it could have been worse.  We could have gone with our first concept…

3712511329_b339e6e0f4

Photo taken by A.J. Haverkamp, and pointed out (you should pardon the expression) by the good people at ZooBorns.

Comments

1. L to the O to the L.

2. Outstanding caption. Outstanding hovertext. Bravo!!

3. 5^^now8ing says:

What DKN said!

Point well taken!

(Luvs ya ennyways!)

4. LOL @ the hovertext!

5. See? This is exactly why we love you Meg, Theo and NTMTOM! You guys are hilarious.

6. As a side note, I think it might work if you just do a “like” option (like facebook has). That will save the self-esteem of the nuffers while allowing people to express approval of a witty comment without actually making a comment themselves. Because we’re lazy and would rather just click a thumbs-up than actually type something…

7. Totally…. UNFIT Picture!!!!!!!
    My child Looks at this ???
    What’s up with you People????

8. skippymom says:

Um, boaks? “Save the self-esteem of the nuffers”? Come again?

9. eastiegirl says:

Hahaha…fantastic! Love the hovertext.

10. 260Oakley says:

Why does this picture remind me on the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and the Christmas card incident?

11. 260Oakley says:

Think I’ll go and have a little nip of something before I go back to work.

12. This is finger lickin’ good!

13. Sheilagh says:

Oh look! The Hawaiian Good Luck Sign!!

14. katiedid says:

bwahahahah!!!!! X-D

15. “I got your’s thumbs up right heere!”

PS – I feel like this should have a NSFW label. I know this is natural and all with babies but geez. Kind of a natural focal point.

PPS – That arm is seriously ripped.

16. Lula Mae says:

Looks like someone forgot to put on some underpanzees

(I didn’t want to say chimbrassiere, because that’s too ridiculous)

17. brinnann says:

:mrgreen:

18. Argyle Donkeypants says:

@ Kar’s PPS — No kidding! I had no idea when I checked CO today I’d get a free ticket to the gun show. You go, momma!

19. Leslie (NTA) says:

@NMTOM & @ pyrit:

“Oh, no, you [or "y'all", for some of us in the nether regions of the US] DI–int!!!!”

(I TO-tally allowed myself to be lured into the comfort of your intro about “listening to you & caring about our FEEEE-lings”….(& there’s my contribution of subject/ earworm song for today!!)

20. Russell – I take your point, but obviously the little fella isn’t flipping anyone off. This could be a great opportunity for you to show your child that most gestures, in and of themselves, have no meaning. What’s offensive is not the finger, but the thought that is, in our culture, often conveyed by that finger. Just an idea.

21. Kallisto says:

Okay, Nomtom, again: Thank you for a great post.
    And yes, I’m happy to see the thumbs are gone. But maybe this “like” thing boaks mentions might be a good idea.

But, even if you had kept the thumbs, I’d’ve come back. Thanks for caring about us, I appreciate it is Meg’s blog and she may do whatever she wants to, of course.

22. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

I love it.

23. “The Chimp and The Bird”

24. katiedid says:

Kallisto- Is that a picture of your cat?? So pretty!! She looks just like my Misha!!

25. Ahh, the universal infant sign for “gimme moar milk!”
    We have a professional studio photograph of my neice just a month or so old and the photographer snapped it just as she curled all the fingers on her fist except that one. No one noticed until we received the printed photos.
    It is still proudly displayed on my parents’ wall 16 yrs later.

26. Snicker ….. Guffaw… ROFLMAO

What a perfect picture.

27. LOL I meant teh monkey and not Metz’s neice although….. ;)
    Huggs Metz

28. chloebean says:

I always enjoy the “Won’t somebody think about the children!” posts.

29. skippymom says:

@Lola Mae: “too ridiculous”? No, no, no, surely you realize there is no such thing!

Underpanzees!!! Chimbrassiere!!! Yeah!!!

30. Ummm…Russell? I don’t think it means the same thing to the monkey as it does to you.

31. The baby knows he can bird with alacrity
    whilst sitting on his muscle-bound mommy!

32. skippymom says:

I dunno, Vampy, to me he looks as though he knows EXACTLY what message we will see in his gesture. (OK, never mind, will stop anthropomorphizing now…)

33. Hey Russell, this hovertext’s for you man.

34. Kiragirl says:

Thumbs Up to the Kyoot!

p.s. so, where are the little thumbsup icons?

35. Mary (the first) says:

I hope the monkey baby is not expressing the CO staff opinion of all the ungrateful peeps who seemed mostly negatively oriented to the thumbs concept which probably took weeks to create…

36. nsfw because there’s an animal NOT wearing clothes? Kar, you’re too silly!

37. temperance says:

am i the only one who thought russell was just tryin’ to be funny?

38. Snowpea says:

I’m so happy the Thumbs Up/Down thing is gone. It was cramping my style, despite the fact that I lack the nuff gene.

39. skippymom says:

temperance, I also suspected Russell might be pulling a reverse nuff. Something about the punctuation???!!!

40. Lula Mae says:

Reverse nuffing: when we know that they know that we know the’re not not not nuffing…

41. brinnann says:

:lol: Lula Mae, I’m still trying to work that one out in my head and just can’t quite grasp it!

42. 5^^now8ing says:

OK – NSFW. Not Suitable for Worms? Women? Wildlife? I give up.

43. brinnann says:

Not Suitable for Whining?

44. Lula Mae says:

Naughty Stuff For Wackos?

45. skippymom says:

Not Suitable For Wine. GBWB–Goes Better With Beer.

46. Lula Mae says:

Nub Sticking Out Front?

47. Lula Mae says:

that’s not in right order :oops:

48. SoCalSis says:

5^^now8ing: NSFW = Not Safe For Work. A necessary subject line when sending out NSFW type photos… like when my sis sent my bro this hysterical photo of a stack of frat boys doing something involving moons and a giant caterpiller and my bro almost opened during his middle school history class…. but didn’t cuz he’s not ENTIRELY crazy…

49. Katrina says:

I opposed the thumbs. (sneritysnerkitysnerk)

50. SoCalSis says:

Q for you, 5^^now8ing, how do you pronounce your handle? I keep ‘saying’ it in my head as something to do with Snowing, which is silly and only because I mix up the 5 with an S, but if I look carefully it could be ‘5 ears no waiting’?? Which is also silly but could have inner meaning? Elucidations requested please…. kthxbye…

51. SO cal sis now I could be wrong but I believe it is 5 cats now 8 ing..

which means hey 5^^now8ing I have just the kitty for you
    LOL

52. or five cats now eating…

how many names can we make out of her handle ;)

53. Lula Mae says:

Good one, Katrina :)

54. 5^^now8ing says:

NSFW! If I had an actual job, I prolly woulda got it.

Five cats, no waiting! (Daughter made wee poster for door with kitten pix (5) to entice peeps to come in to her party) (because we have 5 cats) (I was worrying on haiku post that it was too cryptic, like the license plate you pull up behind can’t figure out — at least here, people kin ask)

Tho I do like now 8, now eating… hey, y’all can do whatever you want with it! ;-)

55. 5^^now8ing says:

Snowing, too. :-)

56. temperance says:

skippymom & lula mae: the ‘reverse nuff’ can be a very difficult maneuver indeed, as the ‘tone’ must somehow be conveyed without any sound whatsoever. quite tricky. i believe i got in trouble once– made what i thought was a joke about cats and dryers.

57. BeckyMonster says:

Nice Suits For Wombats

58. marsheeeee says:

My niece-in-law is expecting a baby in November. Nephew sent me the latest sonogram pictures, where you can make out the head and the baby’s little hand and wait…that hand…that little finger…OMG it is!!! The kid is flipping his/her parents and the sonogram person the bird!!!! You wouldn’t think that in one so young…why, I was appalled! They should be teaching that fetus better manners. Really!! Same with this baby monkey!

Ok, ok, you get the point. Adorable behbeh monkey.

59. marsheeeee says:

Or was that a reverse nuff, as some people are now saying? Ok, didn’t get that. If it was, well, my message was for the people who actually thought that.

I’m going home now.

60. See, and some people think there’s no such thing as evolution. Clearly this bebeh monkeh is gaining in leaps and bounds upon us mere hoomans, and will soon control us all. I for one welcome our new monkeh overlord, and would like to remind them that as an artist and certified Cuteologist I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground banana caves.

61. belphebe says:

Re: the rating system. I read comments on another website frequently and I like the way they have their rating system displayed. They have the commenter’s name, time of comment, and rating are displayed in one column, and the actual comment is displayed in a separate column to the right of the name. The ratings are less obvious that way. I think some forums have a layout like that as well.

@5^^now8ing: I always read your name as “snowing”, but wondered what ^^ and 8 had to do with snow! :)

Love the picture! Makes you wonder if the baby figured that out himself (herself) or was mimicking what some human did.

62. Estelle says:

why would we rate comments? I would think this would create more tension among commenters than there already is? I don’t even read the comment sections anymore (obviously with exception to this one) because it seems to me that an argument or 2, or 3, or 4 is in every one– wouldn’t this just make it worseee???

I think the POSTS should be what we rate, then you can also get a feel for what your readers do and do not like. woot.

[If Cute Overload was a simple aggregator for user-submitted content, then sure, we'd implement a user-driven ratings system to determine what got published. Kind of the Wikipedia-esque "crowdsourced" approach. That's not how we operate, though. - Ed.]

63. @skippymom: It was sarcasm, which I should know by now does not translate onto the interwebs like in real life…

64. Oh look…the little chimp is telling us we’re Number One!

65. catloveschanel says:

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
    Groucho Marx

66. Leslie (NTA) says:

@LulaMae — specifically item # 45

Haw haw hardee har har (meant literally rather than in sarcasm).
    Very, very nice !!!
    Editors — perhaps you might consider adding a Naughty Stuff for Wackos Tab????

67. GreyhoundMommy says:

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!111

68. kibblenibble says:

Nice comment thread. Folks seem more relaxed without the thumbs. I am, anyway. :-)

69. hahahahaha…

Now THAT made my night :)

70. ROFL…. too funny :D

71. Hilarious post. Bebeh monkeh looks like he knows exactly what he’s (she’s?) doing – very disapproving look. And to the CO staff, many thanks for eliminating the thumbs. We can now go back to concentrating on cute.

72. Noodles says:

Does anyone remember that picture where there are adult monkeys all giving the finger to the cameraman? Taken a few years ago

73. this lil imp of a chimp had it with the photogs!!!!
    too funny, my soda came out my nose laughing still

74. Mud Bug says:

KA – BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

That hover text just needed a cannon blast at the end.=oD
    I’m holding my lit lighter over my head just for you NTMTOM !

75. so….does this count as disapproval?

76. This chimp really has some guts :o

77. Jezebel says:

Computer $1000. Cute over load $1,000,000,000,000,000, etc.A chimp baby flipping me off? Priceless.

78. victoreia says:

@Marsheeeee: love the story! (Kinda like my mother going through the alphabet when she was six….my grandmother was torn between shock and laughter at what Mom said for “F”!)

@NTMTOM: spot on once again with the hovertext!

79. ethical.breakdance says:

@Kar & Argyle Donkeypants: Glad I’m not the only one checkin’ out this momma’s Madonna arm. I’m going to do some pull ups now.

80. After 4:30 (on the east coast) and no updates yet?? Did CO headquarters explode? Should I call an ambulance??

81. Starlinguk says:

Maybe their heads all asploded with Teh Cute(tm) and there’s a kleenup in aisle 7?

82. LOL – Love This!!

83. Nogrinnin says:

omg, check out the bicepular muscles on mama!

84. Nancy (orig) says:

I recoginze heeem! That little dude was at Fenway last Yankees game!

85. laureling says:

I lol’d, a lot. :) And I salute you too, most honorable eds.

86. :)

87. Kirsten D. says:

Bahahaha, this is perfect! And I must say that I’m glad we did away with the thumbs-up, thumbs-down thing as well. Y’all are wonderful. :D

88. The monkey reminds me of George W. Bush.

89. George W. who?

90. Hilarious! And thank you thank you thank you for no more thumbs! Yay!

91. Valerie says:

lol- the moms not looking so hes misbehavin

92. Kristabelle says:

Just guffawed here at work! Too funny!

I got yer thumbs up right heah…

93. Fuzzalina says:

Pleased to see only a couple of ’nuffs. Your kids don’t need to come to this site. I’m sure there are better things they could be doing with their time. More educashunal.

Love the hovertext NOMTOM. You rock.