This Just In: OMG, That Cup’s Huge!

I mean, just look at how it dwarfs that dog … oh, wait–that’s Scooter, a Maltese from New Zealand, who may qualify as the smallest full-grown dog of all time.  According to its owner, Scooter grew to about three inches tall and said “meh, that’s plenty.  So, are we having biscuits with our tea, or what?”

article-0-05B4AC29000005DC-38_634x410_popup

Cheers to sender-inners Sandra and Clairebear!

Comments

1. Precious, just precious. I’d be awfully worried about sitting on it, though. I guess it would squeak.

2. I’ll take eleventy billion please! And a cup o’ tea too.

3. Leslie (NOT the author!) says:

May I recommend that Scooter’s peeps consider marketing a stuffy-toy edition of The Young Man???
    I’d buy one & I’m one of the Feline Fanatics; so who can say how many $NZ’s they could gather — in order to purchase Scooter Kibble, of course !!

4. lal la lal la lal al la ll al la la la l all al lal al says:

she wooks dissapointed cuz there’s no T in the cup.

5. Hope the pup is in good health. So cute!

6. alwayscataddict says:

That’s gotta be one of those oversized coffee house cups – right?

7. Soooooooooooo snorgeable!!!!!!!!! WANT!

8. BabyOpossum says:

Looks like “it” is a “he.” :)

9. BabyOpossum says:

Also, I’m a little confused as to why Scooter’s owner says she can’t take him out walkies because it would take all day…how about just walking a shorter distance?

10. Sanveann says:

Awwwwwwww!!!! Too precious.

I miss my Maltese. *Sniff*

11. IS NOT DOG IS MERINGUE

12. T.U.M. you may be right about that, and so well-baked – not a touch of brown on him. Crunch, crunch…

13. 260Oakley says:

Pup asks “Does this cup make my ‘tocks look small?”

14. chanpon says:

Ok, ok that puppy is redonkulously adorable, but why is the coffee cup the size of that woman’s head?

15. Woohoo! I sent this puppy in to Cute Overload! I can has credit?

16. I gotta say, that woman is a nightmare. She didn’t want to keep the puppy until he turned out unusual/profitable?

.. still, cute puppy.

17. I’ve never seen fur that white and shiny… it must be a faux pup!

18. I’ve been in love with Scooter since I woke up this morning! I immediately printed him out and taped him to the wall next to my computer at work!

19. Countess says:

No, we’re having puppies with our tea!! (not biscuits, silly!)

20. OMG, it bothers me that there are guinea pigs larger than this pup.

I would LOVE to have a plushie look-a-like, but own him? Not so much. WAY too small. My BF would probably step on him by accident. :/

21. Clarebear says:

Heeeeey I sent this in too! I guess we all get credits :P
    I loooooove Scooooooter ^___________^

22. Jimbeaux says:

Is it just me, or does Scooter look a bit… Sad? Like he was hoping there’d be mini marshmallows in his hot cocoa?

(Scooter, if you come let me snuggle you, I’ll definately include mini marshmallows!)

23. AuntieMame says:

Where does it say that she didn’t decide to like him until she could make money off him????

All I read was that she didn’t want him at first, but changed her mind. Is that a crime?

Sheesh.

24. Ugh.
    They’re cute, but all the hype about these tiny tiny guys is not good. Most teacups come with SWARMS of health problems. I have a teacup kitten of my own, and know first hand that most any animal that small is bound to have a lot of work.

Lots of Teacup Information.

I’ve never really understood the passion to breed animals smaller. Isn’t the 5 pound chihuahua small enough? Or do you REALLY need that pet of yours to fit in your purse.

Animals are accessories. :/

[Remember, this dog was a runt, not an intentionally-bred "teacup" variant. - Ed.]

25. the bug man says:

Nationwide, believe.

26. “Remember, this dog was a runt, not an intentionally-bred “teacup” variant. – Ed.”

I wasn’t really saying for this dog in particular. Just the fact that people want tiny dogs like him.
    But needless to say, teacups are in many cases, just runts of the litter. “Teacup” is, for the most part, just a word breeders slap in front of their dog’s breed as a marketing ploy. I’m not saying all teacup breeders are bad, I’ve hit that subject before, I’m just saying that a lot of backyard breeders are exploiting the runt gene. And for the most part, runts have a LOT of health issues. Most common is the little soft spot on the top of their head never grows.

Also… How can they claim this is the smallest full grown dog when it’s only 6 months old? Don’t dogs continue to grow for a year or so? Or is that just cats? Because he could do a lot of growing in the next six months if cared for properly. Especially if he was a runt.

27. Wait… I read that she thinks he’s stopped growing. But whyyy? Lol. I must have answers!

28. tracylee says:

eeeeeee!

can I get one with my tea too? two lumps and a maltese, please!

29. Hey, Scooter
    Less than a footer
    Only one suture
    Fer yer neuter,
    Scooter!

30. 5^^now8ing says:

Doesn’t he kinda look like a stuffed dog? I mean, his fur looks fake. Tho he’s pretty cute.

31. Nooooooooo, not the CUP! Sooooo adorable:-)

32. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@Sandra and Clairebear: I didn’t realize you’d sent this in (because I found it on my own), but I’m happy to share the credit with you! Thanks for thinking of C.O.!

33. She says she can’t find a lead to fit that dog – I wonder if she’s tried a ferret lead? That would probably be around the right size…

[I'm thinking some kind of bracelet/necklace combo - Ed.]

34. kibblenibble says:

pyrit: LOL! :-)

35. Rachael says:

I could totally live off the cuteness of that face forever (if it was edible).

I rescued a 3.5 pound chihuahua 7 years ago (the little pork chop is up to 4.5 pounds now!) and they do require some extra care. But the love they give in return is exponentially proportionate to the inverse of their size, ya know? :-)

36. jackie31337 says:

alwayscataddict That’s gotta be one of those oversized coffee house cups – right?

Yes, the cup is bigger than average, but the pup is still tiny! I’ll be in serious trouble if I let my 6-year-old see this. She already wants a Maltese (and a Corgi, and kittens, and an otter, and a baby pygmy hippopotamus).

37. WANT!

38. oh my gosh!that is the cutest puppy!by the way is it real or fake because of his cuteness it looks fake but if it was real take very good care of it ok?

39. The rest of the litter hit 870gms and were sold…. Scooter aka Pee Wee
    original link – http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/5724387/scooter-could-be-worlds-smallest-dog/
    I did send the link in though… didn’t you check you mail XD

40. I am a dog lover since I was born. When I was a child I brought home strays all the time. That has got to be the cutest and most adorable dog I have ever seen! If you ever want to give him up, I would adopt precious Scooter in a minute. My heart aches for the little one and I would protect him always. Please take great care of him because he is so fragile and they tend to get under people when they sit down, must watch him at all times. I agree with the ferret recomendation for a collar. You are blessed to have him, enjoy!!!

41. oh my godddddddd…..very cut!