Please, Think of the Kitties

This week is Sweatshop Kitty Awareness Week (yeah, it kinda gets lost in the whole Fourth of July weekend, but all the other weeks were taken), calling attention to the plight of kitties around the world who put in long hours, for just a handful of kibble a day.

tailor cat

A public service message from Renata C. and this station.

Comments

1. You know, if these kitties would just shave, they wouldn’t get so sweaty. Really, they have no one to blame but themselves.

2. i_wuvs_puttins says:

Those claws make the best seam rippers to undo any mistakes. Did wonders for my upholstered furniture. :o)

3. kibblenibble says:

Looks like he’s saying, “It’s so hard to thread this thing! Wish I hadn’t forgotten my reading glasses!”

4. My cat is also fascinated with the machine – she can sit and stare at the spinning wheel on the side for hours – ok, seconds – before she must ATTACK!!!!

5. belphebe says:

Interesting timing. Another blog/website that has lots of pictures of kittehs recently featured a kitteh in a sewing machine. But Teho doesn’t want us to mention that website, so I won’t tell you which one it is. ;-)
    [Happy long weekend, enjoy the fireworks, and *THPPPPPPPPPP* - Ed.]

Love the hovertext! I’m losing buttonholes all the time. I have no place to put my buttons anymore!

6. THIS IS THE CUTEST! I love it:)
    You should submit some of you picutres in Volume One’s photo contest next year! For now check out the winners, pretty cool shots. You might like some of the articles they did for their Pet Project. I did. Check it out on their site here :http://volumeone.org/magazine/articles/653/Picture_Perfect_Pets_Photo_Contest_Winners.html

7. Leslie T. says:

I’ll be happy to volunteer to help the cause by hours of Snuggle Physical Therapy.
    Where do I report for duty??

Signed,

Suzy Homemaker

8. Trabb's Boy says:

He’s just trying to figure out how those things work. I’ve watched videos online that demonstrate it and I still can’t get my head around how you can weave two threads together through fabric without using the end of either thread. I am stupid. Stupid as kitties, as we say at home.

BTW, if you look at the circle on the machine, you can see that it, too, is saddened by the grueling hours and low pay of the kitty sweatshops.

9. Hey, kitlet, watch out for those dogs…

10. Only hope cat doesn’t get needle in his paw – I’ve done that more times than I care to remember and I’m a sewing fanatic. With today’s union laws, it’s kinda hard to have sweatshops forcing cats to sew for 12 hours, 7 days a week. May the cat do a cat-down as a protest. he’s welcome to play with my machines anytime.

11. “Please, think of the kitties.”

I, for one, think of little else. :mrgreen:

12. LisaHoneychan says:

Dogs…As in feed dogs, Freya?? *lol* That’s a sewing joke, for those that don’t know. I wonder WHY THE HECK anyone decided to name that part of the machine a feed dog!? Too weird, I tells ya.

Yes, kitty needs to keep paws away from that needle, as it’s one of the worst pains out there, sewing your own thumb! I speak from experience here, and it sucks! I’ll give kitty lots of cuddles, if he does, tho!

13. Beauty_Without_Cruelty says:

My kittehs have to do everything for kibbleh…if they do not sew me a gorgeous pleated skirt they do not get their afternoon catnip…gggrrrrrrrrrrrr…….

14. claudia says:

Oh, man. I’ll never shop at that clothing store ever again, FREEDOM FOR THE KITTIES!!!! FREEDOM I SAY!

15. Yay, LisaHoneychan! Thanks for getting my dumb joke!! :) :)

16. @belphebe Yes, I saw that too! On the website where all the kitties eat minced meat and milk curd sandwich. Hehehe

Well, my mom had the old-fashioned foot-powered sewing machine, and our cats liked to attack her feet instead of the thread/curtains/moving cloth.

17. My kitteh will sew for Fancy Feast.

18. scoobie says:

I bet that kitteh is better than me at sewing….

It does explain why my last new shirt had kibble stains over it when I opened up the packet.

19. temperance says:

when i first looked at this i thought the big dial thingie had a frown on it, to show it’s sadness at poor kitteh’s plight.

20. oops, couldn’t post my first comment right

Kitties in the factories unite!

21. scoobie says:

Hey this should be tagged as matchingks – I just noticed the kitteh matches the sewing machine

22. LOL Sadimtouch

23. My cats have a sewing machine and a spinning wheel to play with. They’re more interested in spinning than sewing, especially the new little baby.

[Well at least they aren't knitting. *shudder* - Ed.]

24. It’s because of the long, grueling days at the chou chou factory…but at least they have fun music to listen to.

25. chanpon says:

As long as she’s not using the Bedazzler, I’m ok with this.

26. Ana Carla says:

I´ve always known that one day this cat would be an international star!!!! hahaha

27. I feel so bad for these kitties. We must start boycotting the company that is using kitties for cheap labor. Kittie lovers UNITE

28. That’s sew cute.

29. DaytimeDeb says:

This is why I have kitty hair all over my clothes — they come that way from the factory! I mean, my house is immaculate, I couldn’t get fur on my clothes from here… no way..but yet I end up with fur all over me. LOL.

30. Nutella Nutterson says:

My kitty was a sweatshop kitteh, too!

31. Nutella Nutterson says:

D’oh – my fancy html didn’t work.

Here he is:

32. Katrina says:

Theo- OBSCENITY ALERT really NSFW. Theo – go to You Knit What, and place a question mark and a 2 behind the ‘t’ in “What”. I am just flabbergasted.
    NOT CHILDREN FRIENDLY. But, you, Theo, have to see it. Yikes. You can omit this comment if you wish, I won’t be hurt. K.

33. Katrina says:

DaytimeDeb-would you like some Corgi fur to help your house have that ‘lived in’ look? We have gobs of the stuff. Free to a good home!

34. I will point out, as an almost Ph.D. in Theatre, that my own cat Bertha, in addition to being named after the Grateful Dead song, was named after the heroine of the 1906 melodrama “Bertha the Sewing Machine Girl.” http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O149-BerthatheSewingMachineGrl.html

The “Bertha” character was in fact a staple of popular culture beginning after the Civil War. :-)

35. EEK! Kitty get your paws out of there! I don’t want to see you gets your poor little self hurt :(

36. metsakins says:

There are cats who sew recreationally….

several of mine used to help me in this endeavor, my last cat is not interested in this hobby however.

37. MarvaJo says:

My kitty got into my covered sewing machine and somehow got thread wrapped around his tongue. As the thread was pulled into his digestive track it pulled his tongue back. The vet was able to cut the thread, and, luckily, there wasn’t enough that Punky ripped up his intestines when he gagged trying to get his tongue loose. He had to spend a night at the vet’s. The whole experience was so frightful that I don’t allow any kitties near my machine.

38. AWW :( MarvaJo :( I am so sorry to hear about your sweet little kitty, Punky, getting a nasty thread on his tongue and in his tum :( I am very glad to hear that everything turned out okay :) Hopefully, Punky has learned his lesson about threads and sewing machines :)

39. Michelle says:

That is the craziest cat video I’ve seen in a while. The music is torturous. Those poor kitties! We must put an end to this madness!

40. Valerie says:

Dont bother him hes busy! Love his face wanna cuddle him.

41. A foto fez sucesso. Posta mais. :)

42. Guti Nery says: