Vintage G’day

Australia, 1942:  A visiting American soldier comments on how much smaller the rats are compared to his native Brooklyn.

3527155504_6a47fb4988_b

More classic cuteness from Flickr Commons.

Comments

1. Laureling says:

It’s a tiny ‘roo! He’s so cute it makes my brain hurt.

Watch out for his momma soldier dude!

2. Holy Toledo, Mini-McKanga’s! That is UNpossible!!

3. gahh! Tis mindbending. A pocket sized pocket pet with a pocket!

4. Christopher robin reached out and shook Roo’s hand.

5. I want to hide this mini-roo in my pocket…

6. hon glad says:

However your rats have bigger feet than ours.

7. LOL@”how much smaller the rats are compared to his native Brooklyn”! I believe they prefer to be called “night squirrels.”

8. Kiragirl says:

“I’ll shall keek you.”

9. ringtailroxy says:

cuteness x 3

1.) half nekkid man in the bush
    2.) teensy tiny joey
    3.) international peace treaty hand shake

extra points for a fine looking man as well!

10. Cute! Oh, the joey is cute too!

11. 260Oakley says:

“Wallaby moseying along now, pardner”

12. momof2kittiesandapuppeh says:

I’ll take one of those! And a mini-roo, too!

13. brinnann says:

:lol: @ Kiragirl!

14. Of course, they’re probably both DEAD by now!

15. OMG! LOOK AT THE FEETS!! Oh, and the ones on the baby Roo are impressive as well. ;)

16. I would have snorgled both their necks!

17. Shirtless man + cute baby thing* = Swoon!

I love you, Cute Overload. You have overloaded me.

*I know it’s a roo… this is just a general equation.

18. YO, NTMTOM, Brooklyn in da house, heah! You just watch your mouth!

Gee, he’s not bad lookiing, is he? I never see anyone in Brooklyn like that anymore.

19. Omygoodness yes indeedy. Very fine.

20. NOMTOM, Peeps – I take this personally!
    No, really. I am taking this man, personally.
    And roo too.
    (I am slayed, slewed, slained, durr durr drrr can’t feel my legs)

21. G.I. Joe and Joey.

22. Kristabelle says:

Oh Pheas! Here we go again!! :lol:

Those roo feet are HUGE! And you know what big feet mean…

23. fish eye no miko says:

Oh, my God, that guy is HUGE!!

24. PS Joey has some BEEEG FEEETZ.

25. BeckyMonster says:

Scratch, scratch, scratch (scratch out the faces!!!)

26. Look at that dainty little paw extended for a handshake. Looks like little ‘roo is blushing!

27. Kristabelle says:

Don’t forget to write the word “dead” over their heads…

28. This is a part of WWII that we have never seen in the documentaries…
    Come to think of it, this is a still from the prototype for the History Channel and Animal Planet combined…. (since it wuz too ambitious a project, they had to split it into two separate entities….too bad for us, but great for the sponsors of the shows, becuz naow there are twice as many…) :roll:

29. Kiragirl says:

@ Theresa:

How yous roos doin’?

30. Kristabelle, big feet mean big …. shoes!

31. @Kiragirl, you mean the famous Brooklyn Kangaroos? :D

32. Von Zeppelin says:

Theresa–the Brooklyn Kangaroos? Didn’t Walter O’Malley move them to LA back in 58?

33. @VonZep– Walter O’Malley– OOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . . !

34. Hello soldier ;)

35. Who’s that walkin’ ’round here?
    Mercy!
    Sounds like baby patter!
    Baby elephant patter, that’s what I calls it!

Say, up in Harlem,
    At a table for two,
    There were four of us,
    Me, your big feet and you!
    From your ankles up, I say you sure are sweet,
    From there down, there’s just too much feet!

Your feet’s too big!
    Don’t want ya ’cause your feet’s too big!
    Can’t use ya ’cause your feet’s too big!
    I really hate ya ’cause your feet’s too big!

– Fats Waller (1939)

36. One never knows, do one!!

37. I really really want this as a background. How do I do that?

38. Jimbeaux says:

The ‘roo looks kinda disaproving to me, like he’s looking at the camera and saying, “Do you SEE what I have to go through?”

None the less, cute marsupial anyway.

39. Melody,

If you’re on a windows pc, you just right click on the photo, and then choose the option that says “set as background”

tada!

40. Eliot's Hoomin says:

Melody,

If you’re on a Mac, you control click on the picture and select “set as desktop background.” Hopefully between Brook and me, you’ve found your answer! (Unless you’re on linux, I guess…)

41. Noelegy says:

Love the sideways, slightly-annoyed ears, very catlike.

42. oh hey, there’s a roo in the photo.
    ummm for some reason I didn’t see him at first.
    Maybe cause the roo is so tiny. ummm yep that’s it, tiny roo. cute but so tiny next to the hunk er I mean guy in the photo.

43. Freebie!!!
    Check out Life.com and go to bottom of the main page.
    On the bottom left side of the main page click on ARCHIVES: All Galleries

44. Space Cowgirl says:

ROFL @ Pheas, and alexa stole my remark.. There’s a kangaroo in this photo?

45. Space Cowgirl – ya, I know !! also ROFL and just drooling a little bit,
    umm cause the roo’s so cute :)

46. That’s a rather fine specimen of American manhood. I wonder if he has any eligilbe grandsons? I’m thinking we could honeymoon in Australia and shake hands with a tiny ‘roo…yeah, I know, I know, but I can dream, can’t I?

47. p.s.:
    Ding ding ding ding ding!
    Pant-pant-pant-pant!
    A-ooooooo-gah!
    Da-tump-a-tump-a-tump-a-tump!
    Ba-wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

48. Lula Mae says:

‘Roo, too cute – an angel… now, he is

49. Patito appears to have acute Tex Avery Syndrome.
    [sigh] Cartoonists get it the worst.

50. bookworm says:

Forget the Joey – what about the guy? YUM!

The Joey is cute, too, don’t get me wrong. But I do love me a man in uniform — or, in this case, out of uniform. Ahem.

51. Re. the mouse-over text…The term “Ocker” is used both as a noun and adjective for an Australian who speaks and acts in an uncultured manner, using a broad Australian accent…so having the *joey* say “Oi! What’s this ocker on about then?”, (which btw sounds more cockney if I may say so), is just incorrect….. :-p
    And if it’s s’posed to be the American dude saying/ thinking it….well, it doesn’t sounds very American.

52. tracylee says:

yowza!

oh yeah, almost forgot…
    cute roo, too

53. Is that a baby kangaroo? Or some other kangaroo relative?

It’s so tiny!

Would love to see it hop! :D

54. am I the only one with images of the cartoon with the runaway roo vs Sylvester the cat? The ones where Sylvester is trying to impress his kid…

55. Subhangi says:

Joe meets Joey! Speaking of Joe…. YOWZA. I lurve a man in (or out) of uniform.

56. holy crap, I cannot get over how tiny that babyroo/wallababy is.

57. make sure you check out the flickr link and look at the rest of the animals and war set – cuteness abounds – the possum cinematographer is my favourite. if you should ever come to oz, go visit our war memorial in canberra – a really great place to see.

58. Katrina says:

Trin- “Oh, Father, the shame….”

I suspect that is a discarded poster option for the Broadway play “My Pal Joey”.

…handsome hunk o’Mercan there…

59. MoonCatty says:

Hunky G.I.: “I’ve got a luv-e-lee bunch o’ co-kee-nuts…

Little Roo: (Turns head) “Why yes, you doooo… *blush*

60. Gretchen says:

Back atcha, Ernie!

“Oh, your pedal extremities are colossal,
    To me you look just like a fossil
    You’ve got me walking, talking and squawking
    Cuz your feets too big!
    Yeah-eh. . .”
    [ da capo ]

61. “Strewth, mate, is it just me or does this Yank look hungry?”

62. As they used to say during the war…
    “Oversexed, overpaid, and over here harassing our kangaroos.”

63. “Geez, i hope this isn’t that Eddie Leonski fella!”

64. (For non-Australians, Eddie Leonski was an american GI who went on a serial killing spree in Australia during the war.)

65. Hot men kind to animals are extra hot.

66. Bobbi, I so agree!

67. One Skunk Todd says:

Google search of soldier with baby kangaroo turns up this:

It “might” be the same guy. The hair looks right but the face looks different.

68. Your guy has pants and a watch, the C.O guy has shorts and no watch.

69. One Skunk Todd says:

I was thinking the pictures might have been taken at different times.

70. Yes, could be, and frankly not only does the hair look the same, but the face looks similar but just from a different angle, i just got sidetracked by the apparel.