Meanwhile, at Bear Automotive…

ncVI3Well, your distributor cap is a little cracked, and your timing belt and spark plugs need replacing.

I should be able to have it back to you by tomorrow, if I can get the parts, that is.

Will that be cash, Robin C. — or do you want us to bill you? (pffft, snort, giggle.)

Comments

1. that pun is unBearable.

heh

Isaac.

2. Groooaan, snort, snurgle, pfft, all right, LOL.

3. A.K. Strong says:

Only you… can prevent faulty bird spark plugs.

4. earlybird1 says:

5. Now that your mention it…. uncanny resemblance.

6. Anybody have a clue on the backstory? In my neighborhood at least, this would not be an everyday sort of photo op. Maybe I just live in the wrong neighborhood.

7. juniperjune says:

NOMTOM, I hate and love you at the same time.

8. chanpon says:

No good. Your transmission’s gone.

9. Joe! Put the Pelican up on the lift so we can check out that landing gear. Ya know, last week I saw a much earlier model-P and her flaps and gear were in great shape even after hundreds of flights to-and-from the Bearport. Yep! If you want quality and value…you go with the Birdmobile line.

10. 260Oakley says:

Bird is thinking: “This is not what I meant when I said I’d like a bear-claw for breakfast.”
    Bear is thinking: “There’s something fishy about this guy.”

11. Katrina says:

Seems awfully fishy to me.

12. earlybird1 says:

Could be a tiny bear dentist.

13. Von Zeppelin says:

“Also, there seems to be a bunch of anchovies stuck in your injector jets.”

14. elledoubleyou says:

The Little Bear thing is exactly what I thought too, how funny.

15. Aww, Little Bear, thanks for reminding me of those wonderful stories! And yup, that squeezable little mechanic does look like the model for Little Bear.

16. Little Bear still makes me laugh and always will; glad to see he has endured and has gone on to become a Pelican Mechanic (wif a bona fide degree from Aminule Vo-Tech); O.o He is speaking just now; let’s eavesdrop: “Boy, these Pelicanmobiles are getting harder and harder to work on; anybody have the phone number for Klik and Klak?? They were my mentors, you know…..!” :lol:

17. Mud Bug says:

Fuzzy wuzzy had a habit,
    He was a big bird mechanic,
    When the big birds had some trouble,
    Fuzzy would handle it,
    on the double !

18. MamaLana says:

You guys are all so funny!!!

19. Well, there’s your problem right here. It’s a pelican!

20. PS He DOES look like Little Bear! Here’s a Kiss for Little Bear!

21. berthaservant says:

Would it be too “too” to suggest an “I’m going to eat you” tag?

[Hmmm... probably not, with this one, but it would be fun (and a lot of work) to animate... - Ed.]

22. @Berthaservant, no, I think it would be TOO-too “too.” :mrgreen:

23. teehee.

24. NO WAY! It’s too, too amazing.

25. NOMTOM, my crush on you grows every day…sigh

26. “where’s the baby? mommy said you were bringing a baby!”
    “i’m a pelican!”

27. David Harmon says:

It occurs to me… pelicans carry fish in those beaks. Bears eat fish (among other things). That pelican is quite likely feeding the bear cub! I have no idea why it would do that, but it makes the pic even cuter….

28. A wonderful bird is a pelican,
    His bill will hold more than his belican.
    He can take in his beak
    Food enough for a week;
    But I’m damned if I see how the helican.

I always thought this poem was by Ogden Nash, but according to Wikipedia – which we know is always accurate – it’s by Dixon Lanire Merrith.

29. earlybird1 says:

@AmyJ: LOL! What an awesome limerick!

30. Paunchie says:

“well, there’s your problem, right there!” LOL

sorry Teho, another mythbusters quote.

[You don't actually need to apologize, not to me. Not for keeping up with Jamie and Adam and Tori and Kari and Grant and have you ever wondered what all those explosives must cost? - Ed.]

31. hon glad says:

I doubt you can still get the parts, for this old model.

32. The name’s Bear, James Bear, and this is a seemingly standard pelican, (sips martini) which actually doubles as my levitation system, hydrofoil, and tea tray. However, it seems, it has just swallowed my detonator diving watch. Q’s not gonna like this!

33. Katrina says:

I always thought it was Ogden Nash, too, but why would Dixon Lanire Merrith lie to us? I guess s/he wrote it. Hmmmmm, ya learn something every day.

I’m very fond of pelicans. They do remarkable things while making their living.

34. Sigh, I realllllly want to know backstory on this. How does such a picture even happen!?

35. When I go to Florida to see my dad, I see Pelicans all the time. They are delightful birds, and look especially great in flight.

36. @Katrina, to say nothing of how it must SMELL. Maybe that’s what the little bear is dong, looking for fish!

37. the bug man says:

I can haz backstory?

Seriously, I really want to know how some of these photos got taken. I still wonder about the one with the wallaby and the gibbon.

38. I’m glad you asked, Bug Man. It seems that the wallaby was auditioning for ZZ Top:

39. Katrina says:

Well, I guess if we assume the bear smells his own smell, it might be refreshing-‘sea breeze’ and all that!

40. AuntieMame says:

What makes this photo doubly hilarious is that in Denver we actually have a “Bear Automotive.” They worked on an old car of mine many years ago.

41. Von Zeppelin says:

Auntie Mame–Is it actually run by bears? Cause if it is, I’m driving to Denver for my next oil change.

[What? Not flying in? From Frankfurt? ;) - Ed.]

42. Putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, putter, in from Frankfurt!

43. GIMME BACK MY FISH!

44. AuntieMame says:

Von Zep, there weren’t any bears when I was there, but that was 20+ years ago. They might have changed management since then. :)

45. the bug man says:

@Theresa: OK, now I REALLY want the backstory for the wallaby-‘n’-gibbon pictures.

46. Von Zeppelin says:

Katrina, if I WERE flying in from Frankfurt, there would be no “putter, putter, putter. . .” Only the smooth roar of five mighty Maybach engines, propelling the Zeppelin smoothly through the skies.

47. >>”Wow, does anyone else notice that cub looks JUST like Little Bear in those old kids’ books?”

YES, that’s exactly what I was thinking when I came on to post! Glad there are other Little Bear lovers out there! It was one of my first books! That and Harry the Dirty Dog! aah the memories. Little Bear is just precious, though–the one in this photo and in the books. :)

48. Von Zeppelin- the one with which I am personally familiar does go putter, etc, but then again it also says Good Year on the side. The difference between a zeppelin and a blimp, mayhaps? I meant no affront, I’ll go putter off now…

“five mighty Maybach engines,” sigh………..

Auntie Mame- it is sooo hard to find good help these days!

49. Von Z — I’d recommend skipping New Jersey, if possible.

50. Katrina says: