Red Panda Monorail Delay

2-hour delays are being reported system-wide. Car has fallen asleep between tracks 7 and 9. Emergency bamboo supplements are en route via Hummingbird.

DSCN3276

What chaos, Helen J.!

Comments

1. essensual says:

Just don’t have a nightmare and fall down!

2. Panda Express, ran out of steam(ed rice).

3. Well,no wonder, with the speeds they expect those monorails to run at. Let’s all just slow down and enjoy the scenery (and this scenery is 2 cute).

4. Oh great, now I’m going to be late for the Panda Pride Parade.

5. kibblenibble says:

I love the innocent expression on his sleeping face! Makes me want to sneak up and geev heem a kees!

6. Panda honk-shoos!!!

7. When I’ve “had enough” of hunting for a job, (everyone wants “experts w/YEEEEARS of experience” instead of career changers) this site always puts a smile on my face. ;-D

[Oh man... I know EXACTLY what you mean. - Ed.]

8. Another fabulous and wonderful caption, incredibly original, overspilling with humor and delight — how do you ever think of these? It’s a mutant power. What a gift!

[You must trust in Teh Qte™. It is all around us, flows through us, binds the internet together... - Obi-Ed.]

9. fish eye no miko says:

Are hummingbirds big enough to carry bamboo? You might do better with, I dunno, maybe a couple of swallows…

[African or European? - Ed.]

10. I must agree. Thank GOODNESS for this site.
    It’s always there when I need a smile.

Well… My new kitty is, too. But he’s going through a bitey stage and nobody likes that.

11. Lula Mae says:

Unfortunately, we can’t see the :26 and the :36 queued behind this one… and the :46 is approaching…

12. After having witnessed first hand the METRO accident here in DC, this kind of commute problem is a welcome change!

13. I can’t have pets. So I come here to “escape”. ;-D

14. Blondie–after the last couple of days, the Panda Express would be much more comfortabuhls than all of us jam-packed in the center cars, right?

15. It’s pandamonium on the commuter rails today. Car #2 has run out of power and is stalled on the tracks. I wish that I had red pandas along my route to work! I’d smile every morning!!

16. Nikki, how close is all that to Gallaudet University? I live on the west coast, and have never been there.

17. are those undocumented migrant hummingbirds too?

18. chanpon says:

And right at the busy Bamboo intersection. Traffic is gonna’ be backed up for miles.

19. This Panda Train got the mid day napping railroad Blues

20. Katrina says:

Pardon me boys, is that the Cutenooga Choochoo?

21. I know exactly how this little guy feels! I want to do the same thing about midway through every workday.

22. Von Zeppelin says:

Hey! I thought these monorails were the Transportation of Tomorrow, and were going to be unbelievably efficient. That’s what they said at the 1964 World’s Fair. **sigh** I guess I’ll have to use my personal nuclear jet helicopter to get to work today.

23. The problem has become even worse; trains have been stalled in all directions because the Red Panda Xpress has clogged up the Monorail both north and south;
    since the chief engineer will not wake up, traffic has come to a standstill…….
    Wot tuu duu, wot tuu duu?? The passengers are becoming testy and irate, flinging their Staurbuxx cawfee cups out of the windows with abandon….. O Noes….! The transit system as we know it has deteriorated to the condition of Charlie, still on the MTA…… :shock:

24. Jessica says:

Wonderful cap-shons.

25. I feel the exact same way today, monorailQte!

26. berthaservant says:

To the forest in a sleeper
    There’s no snugglebed that’s cheaper
    And the tracks are true,
    Of we’re gonna shuffle,
    Panda off to old honk-shu….

27. @Brenda, are you talking about the DC metro and Galludet University? There is a metro stop near the U and it is very easy to get to. You should visit DC, it is a great city.

28. BabyOpossum says:

This Red Panda Monorail has been nothing but a bamboo-sucking, nite-nite-going boondoggle from day 1! *kicks self for not voting for Lemur Light Rail proposal*

29. Blondie says:

@Jules – there is no question the Red Panda Express would be so much more comfy! Maybe they can replace the 1000 cars with these. I bet they’d get a lot more riders! So we’ll rename the Red Line the Red Panda Express – which works great since the Nat’l Zoo is on the red line!

@Brenda – I love living here. There is so much to do and it’s beautiful. There are parts of town you want to avoid, but there are plenty of us that can point you in the correct direction. The gardens are gorgeous this time of year, and the Nat’l Zoo is bouncing with activity.

30. DaytimeDeb says:

Over here on the West Coast, we may never see the BART extension to San Jose in our lifetime, but I would die a happy person if we started running the Red Panda Express instead! Who do I talk with at Caltrans to put out a bid to contractors?

31. JohnnieCanuck says:

Now you see, that’s what happens all the time when you’re crepuscular.

32. DaytimeDeb says:

@JohnnieCanuck, so what you’re saying is that we’d only have transit between say, 6-9pm?

33. DaytimeDeb says:

I guess they would also be active between 5-8am, so at least the commuters would be able to get to/from work. I could live with that, if it meant we had cute Red Panda conductors!

34. hon glad says:

The long black gloves are very ellegant.

35. He/She looks so content and comfortable! Wonder what the dream is…..

36. @Brenda: the accident was a few stops away from Galludet.

@Blondie and Jules – I completely agree. After dealing with switching at Gallery Place from green to red this past week (to get around boarding at Takoma first thing) I’d much rather deal with comfy red pandas than the red line…

37. Katrina says:

And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich
    as the train comes rumbling through…
    Oh, did he ever return,
    no, he never returned and his fate is still unlearned
    he may ride forever ‘neath the streets of Boston, he’s the man who never returned.

The fambily is going to DC this Summer, to go check out colleges! The Zoo is a ‘must’, too. Bigger bigger brother will stay home with Killer.

38. so cute! my favorite form of transport!

39. Kristabelle says:

Having commuted through Union Station for a year, I will gladly choose the Red Panda Express ANY OLD DAY!

40. @Katrina: Darn you! You got there first. I was just about to post that.
    Although I would have said,
    “He may ride forever neath the streets of Boston, he’s the panda who never returned…”

41. Katrina says:

kodalai- your version is much better.

42. Katrina says:

OK-who lives in Washington, DC? We could meet at the Zoo! Fourth week of July, more details when closer to the time!

43. Blondie says:

Sounds like a plan! I’m here!

44. Excellent, Blondie! See you on futurer threads!

45. Katrina says:

Theresa- Laaaaaaaast exit to Brooklyn! Laaaaaaaaaaast chance to turn around!

46. Kristabelle says:

Katrina – you do realize it’s going to be hotter than hot and huuuuuuuumid in DC in the 4th week of July, right??? Enjoy! I was just telling my husband this morning that we need to go to the zoo, but he votes for October, when it’s manageable!

47. Katrina says:

Kristabelle- Yup. It was over 100 degrees when we last went to DC, but college-visiting needs to be done then. GW, Georgetown and American. Most inside things are air conditioned, and we put up with the rest. But thank you of your caveat. If Killer’s smaller bigger brother actually ends up there for four years, I plan some cooler trips, too!

48. bingley says:

Tsk. The panda is not out of service at all! Note the angle of the ear and whiskers: this pandarail is in fact going really fast, and the picture is simply a very high-speed capture. This split-second shot thus gives the impression of stillness, in the way a picture of a cat thrown into the air appears to be hovering.