Vintage Baroo?

We take you now to 1943, where this mascot of an army cookhouse (how’s that for a choice assignment?) is getting all cleaned up to meet General Douglas MacArthur himself.  Oops, wait — we’re getting word he left already.

But ... but ... he said he would RETURN!

See full image at Flickr Commons.

Comments

1. OK, just melted into heap of love and “awwwww”. That face could thaw Posh Beckham’s expression.

2. BeckyMonster says:

That dog is dead now (inside joke from “Vintage Blorp” from last week.

He was a cutie though!

3. …but he said he’ll be back.

4. LOL@BeckyMonster! Don’t scratch out his face, though.

5. zeldapie says:

awwwwwwwwww.

Love the head tilt. The baroo. The triangle ears!

6. Gack I’m addicted to this photostream!!!! Pet koala’s and kangaroos????? EEeeeeeee

7. I-I-I-I I can feel hiz wiskers. Almost every muscle in my body went Ahhhhhhhhhhh just by looking at him. *contented sigh*

8. Awwww… He looks like a Munsterlander. I miss my puppeh Eddie, now!

9. Katrina says:

It is fascinating to me that soldiers in every war find critters to love and retain warmth in their lives. Dog, cats, goats, all provide for the need to nurture. That is a very sweet puppeh, there.

10. Von Zeppelin says:

Being a World War II Army cookhouse dog must have been a prime doggy assignment. All the shingles you want, and also the . . . stuff that goes on them.

11. eastiegirl says:

What a sweet pup. Just what I needed to help cheer me up this gloomy morning.

12. kibblenibble says:

Fabulous head tilt angle and sweet baroo expreshon. I give it a 9.99999!

13. @Mouchois Melvin: Eddie Munsterlander??
    @VonZep: Ewwww!

14. @NTMTOM, Not to worry– he SHALL RETURN!!

15. Arrgh, only just saw hovertext (headslap)

16. Nuts.

17. hon glad says:

Pup says pass on the meat pie it was cantering round the paddock last week.

18. temperance says:

great minds think alike, theresa.

i bet if puppies were always present when treaties were being brokered the world would be a much better place…..well, i guess not everyone loves a dog. nevermind.

19. Coffeecup says:

What’s the hovertext? I’m on my phone so I can’t hover…no cursor!

20. @temperance: Doggies love treaties! Oh, wait. That’s not what you meant.

21. WHO BROKERED THE TREATIES?? OH NOES!! 8O

22. In our house we haf 2 broker the treaties for the littler doggies to nom.
    :-p

23. sunnymum says:

That face really is the essence of sweet. That face is why I melt in to verbal baby talk every time I’m with a cat or dog.

Was watching a news story last evening about dogs in the military. All the wonderful German Shepherds that served in Vietnam. Someone is trying to get their service recognized even now. After the war ended the military classified them as excess baggage or some such nonsense. They were abandoned, or euthanized. A level of low I had not known about. So glad that person is working to get those brave, hardworking doggies recognized. Sure hope the doggie soldiers that help all the human soldiers in Iraq and elsewhere won’t be abandoned or euthanized when they are no longer deemed necessary. Sorry to harsh the happy buzz, just wanted to share with animal loving peeps.

24. @Theo: Maybe they brokered the treaties so that there’s more treaties to go around for everyone? (Or is that just my inner kindergarten teacher coming out?)

[Your innergarten? ;) - Ed.]

25. Katrina says:

sunnymum-should you find an address for our views-I’ll be happy to write on behalf of the service doggies, ahum, dogs. Service is service.

26. Awesome doggy!
    @ sunnymum: that is truly depressing and just plain horrible :_(

27. Kristabelle says:

Please don’t scratch his face out!!! hahahaha…

What a sweet face!

Sunnymum – (I am also a mum to a Sunny) – if you get the information on that story, I would be happy to write to whomever is necessary.

28. sunnymum says:

You guys are the greatest; thanks for responding with heartfelt compassion! I am searching for ways we can help… write. Thanks for making the world better for people – humans and non humans. :)

29. We haz peece treety. U giv us treetys, we letz u haz peece.

30. PS Lafayette, we iz heer!

31. sunnymum says:

Looks like lots o’ dog loving peeps are working to honor dog soldiers – yea! Most of the orgs need $ to build memorials. This looks like a good org: http://www.nationalwardogsmonument.org/help.htm. Thanks again for your wanting to help.

32. SoCalSis says:

VERY classic Baroo*?* Makes me think of a wonderful book by Robert Westall called Blitzcat, about a black cat who finds herself travelling from town to town in WWII England, trying to make her way back home. Along the way she comes into the lives of different people (soldiers mostly) around wartime Britain. Very sweet.

33. Paunchie says:

that is one cute puppeh mcpuppersons. Such a sweet face. Er, past tense, I guess, aww, who started that joke!

34. AuntieMame says:

In my experience, most pups aren’t particular about whether their treaties are broken or whole. Or whether they’ve just come out of the box or have been lost under the couch for three or four months. :D

35. Mary (the first) says:

A good “baroooo” never goes out of style!! And I’m glad I’m not the only one who read “treaties being brokered” as something to do with breaking the dog bone in half..

36. dewicasgwent says:

Katrina
    Please include ferrets, bears, penguins

37. Lula Mae says:

Awww, the sweetest barooo!
    Could he (have) be(en) a German Wirehaired Pointer?

38. Sunnymum, thanks for the research, my family and I will become members.

dewicasgwent-(How do you pronounce that?) ferrets, bears and penguins? Dolphins, yes, but ferrets, bears and penguins? S’plain, Lucy……..

Theo-“innergarten”-niiiiiiiiiiiice. May we all, always, be able to summon our innergarten. Amen.

39. Do you know where they trained dogs for WWII service?

A place called Cat Island.

No joke.

40. Woods Walker says:

The proper term for cook house in the Army is mess hall. As far as choice assignments sometimes they have been known to put out food that a hungry dog wouldn’t eat. I’ve had to choke down my share of it in my time. The mess halls have improved the quality of their food since the military became a all volunteer force fortunately.-Woods Walker

41. Noelle (the First) says:

So, did General MacArthur requisition the pup for his headquarters? I would have!

“Hand over that pup, Soldier. That’s an order!”

42. cutest pup I’ve ever seen!…other than my own of course.

43. I worked on a lovely book by Patti Sherlock, called LETTERS FROM WOLFIE, about a boy who volunteers his beloved dog in the Vietnam war and then corresponds with the soldier who works with the dog. It deals rather starkly with the issue of what happens to these dogs. The book will make you sad, but I highly recommend it.

44. Janet, I’m already tearing up here……

45. @Katrina: Pictures like these (and treaties being brokered for sharing of yummies all around), I think, help people with tapping into their innergartens…or maybe I just squee a little too loudly over them…

46. Von Zeppelin says:

@Woods Walker–the picture comes from the Australian 9th Infantry Division. “Cook house,” I believe, was a term used in British and Commonwealth armies of the World War II period. Also, by the way, during the American Civil War.

47. Woods Walker says:

In the American military there are different names for eating facilities. The Army calls them mess halls,the Navy calls them galleys,the Air Force calls them dining halls, the Marines probably callls them galleys or some unprintable names. You are probably right on the other names.-Woods Walker.

48. divinebluesky says:

As our culture’s views of animals has changed over time, so has military policy changed towards service dogs, and now dogs that retire or aren’t suited for military service can be adopted. Here’s the official DoD website for these adoptions: http://www.lackland.af.mil/units/341stmwd/index.asp

49. Katrina says:

Sheepy- a squee is just a squee, as time goes by………may you always have your innergarten squarely at your center.

50. danielie says:

He looks like such a calm dog. :) Awesome.