Happy Surrogate Male Guardian’s Day

Traditionally in June, we honor male parents, guardians and caregivers with a special awareness day to celebrate the pro-active, nurturing support they provide.

article-1192276-054D4164000005DC-183_634x423

Many male caretakers are choosing nontraditional family paradigms, such as this Rottweiler, who coexists in an adoptive interspecies relationship with this wolf cub.

article-1192276-054D43A6000005DC-194_634x418

We utilize this day to celebrate the diversity inherent in these alternative parenting lifestyle choices, to replace negative stigmas with positive flapdoodle, and ensure toenail raspberry crankle gleep blarble mumbity flark gobblety shrdlu.

article-1192276-054D437A000005DC-575_634x734

Holistically sender-innered by Jacob K.

Comments

1. i_wuvs_puttins says:

The family that howls together stays together…owoooooooo!

2. They are just giving it up for NTMTOM!

3. Oh, those photos are just too adorable. That 2nd one just melts my heart.

4. LOL! Great post! :-D

5. Noelegy says:

Oh so freaking cute!

6. NTMTOM, will you marry me? You just rock. That’s all there is to it.

7. I just love that last picture. And I am so grateful that NTMTOM has selflessly taken time out of his Sunday to ensure toenail raspberry crankle. Imagine a world without toenail raspberry crankle. I shudder to think of it…

8. Kathleen in Canada says:

Aww… I love the howling shot!

9. “Imagine a world without toenail raspberry crankle.”

:? Looks kinda the same to me, either way. Then again, I suppose I’m accustomed to walking in both realities on a daily basis.

10. Mary (the first) says:

AWWW I literally LOL’d at the last pic, and typically I don’t LOL much. LOVE EET!

11. Paunchie says:

Lookit those TEEF!

Who’s a fearsome predator? You are! Yes, you are!

@ Teho: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

12. Oh you KNOW using a MythBusters quote is cheating. Thppppp. ;)

(PS — yes, you are missing an eyebrow)

13. Paunchie says:

Ulrok? Ulrok? What a macho name for a Rottie!!

Adorable story.

14. “Just walkin’ along, howlin’ a song, side by side!” Too cute!

15. amen to that.

16. catloveschanel says:

and now for some more positive flapdoodgle

My dad’s bet-ter than yyoooooooooooooours,
    my dad’s betttter than youuuuuurrss,
    my dad’s better Cuz he eats Kennnel -Ration
    My dad cannnn taaake yours!
    Love ya daddio!

17. catloveschanel says:

flapgoogle? no it is flapdoodle

18. Katrina says:

It takes a big dog to be a father. Big dog.

19. Mrs. McGinty says:

Or, any dawg can father a child, but it takes a Big Dog to be a Dad. Happy Whargarbl and Many Loving & Grateful Baroooooos to all you Awsum Dads!

20. TracyFlick says:

so sweet. all puppies (and humans) need a really good dad.

21. d’aww, I was gonna submit this, but was too lazy. XD I am pleased to see it made it here nonetheless – yay for Rotties! Big guy looks a lot like my Yalo.

There’s also a video of the two playing: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-271098

And a picture of the Rottie with a tiger cub. D8 I wish my Rottie had a tiger cub!

22. LOL!

I love the last photo!

23. in the video, Wolfie really does see the Rottie as a dad, awwww! He keeps nippin’ at the Rottie’s mouth for him to regurgitate food for the puppeh. Wolves=awesome.

24. This pic makes me so happy. Rotties and woofies are love.

25. harlemgrrl says:

and I thought today was going to be all about missing my pop, thanks NTMTOM.

26. animal luvr says:

ok, *so* cute

27. Awwwwwwwwwww.

Do we need to say anything else?

28. Rototiller dog!!!

My MIL gets words scrambled sometimes, and Rottweiler somehow became Rototiller.
    (You know, I think they COULD do some tilling, properly motivated.)

Yay for adoptions!!!

29. Rotties are one of my faves and this just goes to prove what a wonderful daddy this one is ! As for the little wolf cub, I’m speechless, very adorable.

30. davidrusak says:
  31. Ulrok? Yalo? Rotties have some seriously manly names going on today lol

32. berthaservant says:

Great post and great sentiment, NTMTOM! “Father” is a verb as well as a noun!

33. Mary Wimpey – His registered name is technically “Yellow,” as given by his German owners, but calling him ‘Yellow’ sounds awful, so we say it as ‘Yalo.’ XD
    Ulrok is a pretty hardcore name, though. XD

34. How better can it get???
    Rotties are wonderful – and that little cub has the best start in life now!
    Thanks!

35. What the other Mike said.

36. I love them! How precious are they, howling together?

(Answer: Too, too precious.)

37. Ohhh, this kind of mumbity flarkness makes greeting card makers nervous. Hee.

Love the last pic. Happy Fangers Day.

38. Anyone else remember “Good Dog Carl”?

39. OH! The last one is a perfect avatar pic!

40. Happy Father’s Day, all. As I am not a father, I must now go gather socks off the bathroom floor, run the dishwasher, prepare lunches…. in short, all the stuff the father never does around here, wether it’s father’s day or not. Sorry to sound so itter, but there it is.

41. Hasn’t anyone noticed the tear in the eye of the dear, Daddy Rottie? They’re obvy singing “Danny Boy” as a special Father’s Day moment. He may be a wolf, be he’s a good lad.

42. I love the last picture!!! LOL! Super cute. XD

*howl howl*

Sweet. :)

43. I wonder if they could stick together even after the little wolf grow big. Hope they will. They look so lovely together. :)

44. thats so cute, love the howlling pic roties are pretty and the wolfie is just awwwwwwww

45. hon glad says:

Let the wild rumpus begin!

46. OMG, the last photo is such a classic! Howwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooool! :D

47. “He would clean her and when she was making her puppy whimpering he would bound over to investigate.”

That is so precious. Having a big rottie come over whenever you’re scared/lonely/whatever. VERY CUTE! Both of them.

48. Jacob K says:

Yay! As the Jacob K who sent this in I’m so happy to see that it made the cut, and that people seem to agree about the cuteness. I can’t get enough of rotties! So intelligent and beautiful and, in the case of fathering a wolf pup, adorable.

49. How adorable! I love the pic of them howling together–a little father/daughter duet going there.

50. The article says they tried to foster the wolf pup on a Yorkie mom first–I can kinda see why that didn’t work! The baby would have been bigger than the mom after a week or two. I’m glad the sanctuary discovered that Mr. Rottweiler had what it took to be an adoptive parent, even if he couldn’t lactate.

51. Katrina says:

Oh, yes, Theresa, both of Killer’s bigger brothers had ‘read’ Carl since birth-since they were puppies, that is. To this day, we say “Good dog, Carl” whenever we see a Rottie! I’m pretty sure I still have the book upstairs, I couldn’t bear to part with it.
    I’ll hold on to it for my grandpuppies.

52. Ooooh, the teefs! Them’s nice teefs!

I can remember two of my male cats who always looked after the younger kitties. They were great surrogate Dadcats.

53. Am I the only one who ROTFLed at “surrogate parental unit”? Anyone a fan of Invader ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM? XD

*yanngs Rottie’s ears*

54. Jonathan says:

Etaoin, NTMTOM. You’re the best.

55. Kristabelle says:

Excellent Father’s Day post!!! Love the last photo!

56. HLN did a phone interview with the dog/wolf pair’s real mom – the owner of the Kimba Preserve:

Sorry – I don’t know how to properly post a link.

57. well.. looks like I didn’t have to “know” anything LOL

58. that dog is going to move out of his parents house at age 6.

59. NTMTOM, I’m lol’ing at you as hard as those dogs are.

60. Kallisto says:

Nomtom, whenever you whip out the flapdoodle, everyone in my office has to suffer the consequences. Yep, I’m the mean boss-female-person who sends round your flapdoodle-posts to everyone on my team. Seriously, your take on boring meetings around Christmas last year and this alternative surrogate parenting thingy, they are hilarious.
    Thanks! On behalf of my staff…

61. I’ve been really really REALLY good*, can I PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEE roll in the grass wif dese guys? PWEEEEAAAASE? (puppy eyes bat bat)

*subject to liberal interpretation of the definition of good*

62. 5^^now8ing says:

Yay, toenail raspberry crankle!
    Yay, “Good Dog, Carl!”
    Yay, Rototiller dog!
    This one’s an even cuter howl-teacher than the Russell-Crowe-guy!
    @Paunchie: we always ask our lambkins of a mutt-dog, in that same baby-talk voice, “WHO’S a throat-ripping man-killer?”

63. Dear NTMTOM,

Thank you for your strong implication that the word “utilize” is jargon. This shows that your capabilities are orientated towards efficacious adjudication.

Your loyal flapdoodle,
    anner

64. Rooanne says:

Um, am I the only one who recalls the term “parental unit” from the Conehead sketches on Saturday Night Live in the, um, 70′s??
    (I was just a little pup at the time……..)

65. This story made me cry at work. In a happy way. I wish humans were as loving as doggies seem to be.

66. Isabeau says:

Canis lupus lupusand Canis lupus familiaris aren’t different species, though.

67. Happy smiling pups! I wouldn’t mind being there in the grass, lolling around laughing with the pups.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

68. beautifull

69. danielie says:

Aw, so cute. :) Love the last one especially. Like howling father, howling son.

70. hey i read about this here like a week ago! get with the times duudes!

i also saw this today.. the cutest monkey ever! gawwwwwww

71. Ackshurlly, eet’s ‘howling father, howling daughter’. De wulf puppeh iz a feemalye.
    Isabeau eez ryte – dawgs, (eevin chywawas !) r ginetikly desinded frum wulfz, so thiy r deefrent subspeeces, not deefrent speeces.

72. so, i’m going to visit my folks in Maine next week…perhaps a trip to Mt. Desert is in order!

73. Yeah, I was wondering about that, Isabeau. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s super adorable though. :D

74. Aw, the last picture is priceless. (: