Vintage Blorp

Time for an oldie: This roly-poly puddle of blorpitude was part of the welcoming committee for the First Australasian Antarctic Expedition, almost one hundred years ago.

3466498959_b00371ce73_o

From the State Library of New South Wales, via Flickr Commons.

Comments

1. 260Oakley says:

Blorpsicle

2. Easy Summer Blorpsicles

1 1-lb. can of Crisco

Heat Crisco over low heat until liquid. Pour into popsicle molds. Alternately, fill ice cube trays, cover with plastic wrap, and insert a toothpick into each cube. Freeze for at least 3 hours. Serve.

(I actually think my dogs would go for this, sans toothpicks.)

3. Paunchie says:

aww. I loff her!

they are so great when they do that shuffle hop blorp along the ice.

4. SillyGirl says:

Puddle of Blorpitude is the name of my new band

5. danielie says:

So big, and so cute. :) The term “gentle giant” is probably applicable here.

6. “Can I have some more please?”

7. Bloop…. blahp… bleep… Rawrrr.

Feed me fishes!

8. LOL at the idea that they are gentle Gients… NO they are not!

9. Katiedid says:

Whenever something is described as blorpy or blorp it makes me think of this video game, Left 4 Dead. There is a big fat zombie that makes a similar sound whenever he is near you.. if you get to close he throws up on you.. hehe..

10. Antique blorpituity is just as good as today’s blorpituity.

11. We took a holiday in Norfolk, in a small village right on the coast. We went on seal-watching trips…they were on a protected bit of land, just sunning themselves. They’d look when we passed by, but weren’t really bothered by us. The general ethos seems to be ‘Do you have fish? No? Never mind then.’

And they are brilliant nappers…I wish I could nap as a seal naps.

12. kibblenibble says:

My mascara runs when it’s cold, too! It doesn’t look so cute on me, though…

13. DaytimeDeb says:

Said by seal:

“Hello, you only THINK you are the first antartic exploration team. I ate the ones before you. You look so cute I want to NOM NOM NOM.”

14. It’s like how much more blorp could there be? And the answer is none. None more blorp.

15. I just LOVE that word “blorpitude” – it just floats off the tongue! I just hope the intrepid explorers didn’t shoot him after they took this pic!

[For some mysterious reason, now I'm seeing a quilted wombat in my mind's eye. It's quite vivid. :lol: - Ed.]

16. zeldapie says:

Blorp never goes out of style.

17. brinnann says:

Quilted wombat, Theo? :shock: I just can’t seem to wrap my head around that.

18. skippymom says:

Is this one of those photos where it doesn’t matter whether it’s black and white or color, it would look the same, like those exploding penguins from a while back?

19. *poke poke poke poke*
    POP
    Ahhhh!
    *runs away*

It’s amazing to me that they can actually move around alright on land. They’re like pudgy, unshelled, fur-turtles.

20. Kristabelle says:

Back when sealios were saved from the ravages of too much tv, xbox and junky cereal. Today’s seals just don’t know how good they’ve got it. :p

21. BeckyMonster says:

Blorp is becoming one of my new favorite words! The level of Onomatopoeia is just great, I can hear the blorping as well as see it!!

All time favorite word – Otterpop

22. Katrina says:

Yes, zeldapie, blorp is always in fashion, I quite agree.

23. turn-of-the-century blorpitude!!!!

24. Tony James says:

[/lurk]
    Jess – I believe that what you’re referencing here is a “furtle”. Darwin encountered this species on visit to the Fazapatos Islands (not as well known as his later missions to the Galapagos, which resulted of course in his book, The Origin of Species). These islands, named for the ancient race of shoe-makers that first colonized them (and any suggestion that this is a load of old cobblers will be treated with teh contempt it deserves), are home to furtles, a little-known offshoot of the seal species.
    Furtles are similar to seals in many respects except that unlike their piniped cousins they have developed prehensile limbs similar to those of turtles, while not growing a shell. This is believed to be the first recorded encounter of mammal/reptile cross-over.
    Unfortunately the furtles were all wiped out when the crew of Darwin’s ship, HMS Bichon Frise, discovered that they tasted like butterscotch puddin’ when cooked.
    [lurk]

25. I’ll just do what my mom always does whenever we watch an older movie with an animal in it.
    That seal’s dead now.
    It’s always rainbows and sunshine with my mom.

26. Kristabelle says:

Funny! Sounds like my grandmother (and her mother, who conveniently SCRATCHED THE FACES OUT of people who were dead on photos and wrote DEAD over top of their scratched out faces – you know, photos from like 1900 and the like!) who whenever you talk about the past and she mentions someone, she says, “Well, he’s dead now.”

27. BeckyMonster says:

Quincy & Kristabelle

Your therapy bills must be outrageous… my condolences!

28. LOLDemon says:

Which would explain why Antarctica was once briefly known as “Blorpitania.”

29. skippymom says:

Kristabelle, no way!!! They scratched the faces out? Dear God. This sounds like something from a movie about crazy people.

My friend Michael worked in a nursing home years ago, and often people would refer to dead people by saying, “well, he’s gone now” and Michael would always say, “Really? Where did he go?”

30. Mary (the first) says:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Cuteness . is not a NEW invention?? That there’s ALWAYS been cute? And that blorpitude does not exist solely for MY enjoyment??

31. What a plop of blorp!!

32. There’s been a rare Tony James sighting! Hallelujah!

33. @Theo, wombats were a favorite beast of the artist/poet Dante Gabriel Rossetti. He owned a couple of wombats, and wrote of them “The Wombat is a Joy, a Triumph, a Delight, a Madness!”

PS Tony James FTW!!!

34. Tractatus Blorpico-Philosophicus says:

Now that’s what I call blorp!

35. oh my goshness… i think that seal just broke the world record 4 most blubber on ice without the ice cracking! quick, call the reporters!

36. catloveschanel says:

Reminds me of a blue’s song I used to sing to my nieces,

Roly-Poly, daddy’s little fatty,
    jam and donuts twenty times a day!
    Roly-Poly, daddy’s little fatty,
    you’ll grow up to be a blorp some day!

37. Fatty fatty
    Blorpalatty

38. chanpon says:

The seal looks like he’s looking for just a tiny little after dinner mint.

39. so cute and adorable
    send me more
    messages <3 lol ttyl

40. how cute

41. so cute.

42. catloveschanel says:

seein’ if my avatar gravatar worked – don’t mind me

43. I say fatSO! And SOfat!

44. Denise de la Sierra says:

What a sweetheart!!

45. @Chanpon, wafer-thin.

46. And then expedition leader Douglas Mawson killed him and ate him. Sled dogs to follow soon thereafter.

47. puddlepeppers says:

All hands on deck!…Tony James has surfaced…starboard…Ay, it’s a great
    day! None harm, now, to the greatest of creation…

[Careful, that might be a Shrieking Eel. They always get louder when they're about to feed on human flesh. - Ed.]

48. I want to smooch its blorpy little face.

49. hon glad says:

The blorpiraptor.

50. Subhangi says:

Now that’s some EPIC blorp.

51. @Subhangl Epic Blorp it surely is – do you know how it is in the Arctic – they have Seals there of equally blorpy proportions and they are being wiped out – even skinned alive – it takes a weird person who can do THAT to such a Blorpful Critter with huge sad eyes – but they do it – lets hear it for the Seals.
    I wish I knew how to put a dinky little picture in my post just like that – I have one but how is it done please Tell Patti

52. Nice “Princess Bride” reference!!

Does anybody want a peanut?

53. Kristabelle – that is really erie. I wonder if there was some sort of superstition that goes along with that. So much for remembering what Uncle Paul looked like!!!

54. Kristabelle says:

@Skippymom & BeckyMonster – that’s just the tip of the Crazy Iceberg that is my family. :mrgreen:
    @kk3 – I have no idea, but she sure ruined a lot of potential heirlooms!!!

55. Leslie Thomas says:

My humble sugges for alternative caption (consider it if you re-post this guy/ gal again in a few years)…
    “These Eyes”.

Than’ ye verr much. Peace.

56. Kristabelle says:

Thanks for the earworm, Leslie. :-p
    These eyes, are cryin’… Theseeyeshaveseenalotoflovebutthey’renevergonnaseeanotheronelikeIhadwithyouuuuuuuuu…

57. Kristabelle, you didn’t happen to grow up in a Faulkner novel did you?

58. Kristabelle says:

Hahahaha! Not that I’m aware of Theresa… :D

59. Leslie Thomas says:

@ Kristabelle: atcher service, Ma’am!!
    –Your Humble Servant