The Tiniest Valet

“Might Mr. Wooster be ready for his tea?”

2553672391_1deaa2223f_o-1

“I suggest the Houndstooth Check for this afternoon’s luncheon.” [Disappears to coat closet]

2554497090_ce67a5aab2_o

Meet Billy, our house mouse and Billy Peeking Out by rebecca whitney. Faux Jeeves and Bertie dialog inspired by P.G. Wodehouse.

Comments

1. Wow, real big mouse ears, like Mickey Mouse. The mice I see always have little ears.

2. PS: “I do not agree with you, Jeeves. I anticipate a great popular success for this jacket. It is my intention to spring it on the public tomorrow at Pongo Twistleton’s birthday party, where I confidently expect it to be one long scream from start to finish. No argument, Jeeves. No discussion. Whatever fantastic objection you may have taken to it, I wear this jacket.”

3. I keep visualising this liddol guiy in a teeney-weeney tails and tux butler’s outfit; :lol: (mebbee they can lure mowsie into a cage and have him as a real housepet when he gets tame…..! he can keep the butler’s outfit, of course!!)

4. Paunchie says:

Well they are awfully cute, those little poop machines….

5. LizzyCat says:

“As I recall it, the dialogue ran something as follows:

SELF: Well, Jeeves, here we are, what?

JEEVES: Yes, sir.

SELF: I mean to say, home again.

JEEVES: Precisely, sir.

SELF: Seems ages since I went away.

JEEVES: Yes, sir.

SELF: Have a good time at Ascot?

JEEVES: Most agreeable, sir.”

6. Katrina says:

UH, no, Holy Cuteness, you want THIS house mousie and the fantasy of the cute little mousie, who IS really cute. You don’t want the real ones, trust me. I truly hope these nice people only have one mousie.

Theresa, were you at Pongo Twistleton’s birthday party two years ago?
    Wow, what a gafaw! Dear old Pongo.

Concert went well, from Palestrina to Billings to Rachmaninoff to MacDonald to the guy who wrote ‘Les Mis’ to the guy who wrote ‘Alladin’ to a soft rock band. All young musicians who have found their musicianship. Fabulous musicians all and really appreciated. Small audience, not much money, but hey, maybe at the Third Annual…

7. biscuithead says:

Jeeves & Wooster?!
    This mouse looks nothing like Stephen Fry!
    Except the hair color, I suppose.
    I’ll have to imagine Stephen twitching his nose now.

8. i_wuvs_puttins says:

Shmousie at your service!

9. Watch out for Honoria, Bertie!

10. DaytimeDeb says:

Cute, I agree re: the fantasy of a house mouse. Having had a field mouse take advantage of an open door, and take up residence in my closet, I don’t ever want to go through that again.

Woke up to my cat sniffing and pawing through my closet, making a whole ruckus. Little mousie sneaked past the cat (thank goodnes). I opened the door again, and out ran mousie. Cat, on the other hand, spent the REST OF THE NIGHT pawing through my closet because he could smell the mouse. I swear I could hear him muttering, “Fee Fi Fo Fum” as he was searching. Since I could no longer sleep, I cleaned out my closet to make sure mousie hadn’t brought friends. Eventually cat gave up.

11. DaytimeDeb says:

Oh, and cute as that mousie is, those people might want to seal up the floorboards so as to avoid any more visitors.

12. omg how did he get his head through that tiny crack!??!?

13. Tuppy Glossop? Or Gussie Fink-Nottle? What would you name it?

Depending on where it is, sealing the floors can be harder than it looks. Our house is from the late 16th century, and I need our council’s permission to do anything. I can’t even paint my bathroom without their say-so. Sealing cracks in the skirting boards probably has its own sub-committee.

14. Von Zeppelin says:

Bertie had at least one relative who would have been right at home here at CO:

“My late Uncle Henry, you see, was by way of being the blot on the Wooster escutcheon. An extremely decent chappie personally [...]; but there’s no doubt he did at times do rather rummy things, notably keeping eleven pet rabbits in his bedroom; and I suppose a purist might have considered him more or less off his onion. In fact, to be perfectly frank, he wound up his career, happy to the last and completely surrounded by rabbits, in some sort of home.
    [...]
    “I flung open the door. I got a momentary flash of about a hundred and fifteen cats of all sizes and colours scrapping in the middle of the room, and then they all shot past me with a rush and out of the front door; and all that was left of the mobscene was the head of a whacking big fish, lying on the carpet and staring up at me in a rather austere sort of way, as if it wanted a written explanation and apology.”

15. An excerpt from my all-time favorite burst of Wodehouse, from Aunt Dahlia’s Chef Anatole:
    “If you think I like it, you jolly well mistake yourself. I am so mad as a wet hen. And why not? I am somebody, isn’t it? This is a bedroom, what what, not a house for some apes. Than what for do some blighters sit so cool as some cucumbers, making some faces? . . . If any such rannygazoo is to arrive, I do not remain in this house no more. I buzz off and do not stay planted.”

16. Aw! I think they should live trap him and set him up in an uber-pimped out cage. :)

He’s super adorable.

17. PS Rannygazoo!

18. Aw, I miss my little mousies. We had mice in the building I used to work in and we enjoyed their company and of course fed them bits of cheese etc. There were two in my office. When we packed up to move into our new buidling the mice were quite distressed, trying to find new places to hide and looking at us like we were deserting them. Unfortunately I don’t think the new occupants are as tolerant as we were, I don’t like to think of what might have become of our beloved little friends…

19. @Daytime Deb, I feel your pain. Some years ago, the three stupidest mice in the world moved into my apartment with 4 cats. It was unbelievable. I still get nightmares about the whole scenario.

And I nearly fired all 4 cats, except for my dearly departed Gaufredus who actually caught one of those damn mice. He strutted for a week.

20. KatieKat says:

Okay, I wanna see a J&W remake where Stephen Frye has this wee mousie on his shoulder! They would glance knowingly at one another. Hugh Laurie would have a corgi.

21. puddlepeppers says:

Thanks, Peeps, for all the wonderful stories and references. Also, congratulations to Katrina and the younger musicians on the concert…such talent, such variety.

22. ICK!!! ::freaks out::

23. chanpon says:

Maybe house mouse is more fun? As cute as he is, I had a dorm mouse who used to like to eat my rice. That one wasn’t as much fun (still cute though).

24. Cinderella, there’s a new mouse in the house!

25. I love the ears! What breed is this? A Dumbo rat?

I think this is the cutest rat/mouse i’ve ever seen!

Still can’t get my mind off the cute big ears. XD

Hi Billy! XD

26. puddlepeppers says:

@ Hélene…Try “squeaks out”.

27. This reminds me of the mouse from The Aristocats. Roguefort? That’s a totally wrong spelling.

28. I remember watching a video on “America’s Funniest Videos” where this lady had set up her video camera to tape the culprit that was stealing cookies :) It was a little mouse :) So the lady set up a live trap inside the cookie jar and caught that mouse :) She said she had planned to release it into the wild but her children saw it first :) Her children put the mouse they named “Cookie” inside an old hamster cage they had cleaned up :) The lady said now they have a pet mouse named “Cookie” :)

29. TracyFlick says:

i like mouses

30. Jerryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy *O* I want one

31. Martha in Washington says:

CJ–Rouquefort (like the cheese)!! That is exactly who this little guy looks like! I wonder if he owns a deerstalker hat? And sounds like Winnie-the-Pooh?

32. MollyMouser says:

Cute ears … but I like my mousies OUTSIDE.

33. hon glad says:

Sir, it would facilitate my entrance, if you were to place a door in the skirting board, it would obviate all this undignified squeezing.

34. The ears just kill me. So cute. Reminds me of Tom & Jerry! :D

35. it looks cute until they left droppings all over the floor

36. Hmm. A Jeeves-mouse is all very well, but next we want to see the Empress of Blandings in all her piggy glory.

37. Starlinguk says:

Watch it, mowsie, our George will nom you if you’re not careful.

Oddly enough, he doesn’t nom birds. He catches them, holds them daintily between his teeth so they don’t get damaged, and then lets them go inside the house to play with them. Of course, birdy will either take off and sit in the curtains/ficus, or hide underneath something and keep very, very still. He’s “caught” 6 birds to date and hasn’t managed to kill any of them.

38. Poor, wee Jeeves, looks to have fallen on hard times.

39. Oh my, this little dude is the Dumbo of mice! He is very cute, but I would rather see his cueness in a meadow or some other outdoor setting rather than in my apartment…just sayin’! (But if one ever came to visit me, I would set a live trap as I have no desie to harm any animal!)

40. mandy_Reeves says:

Arthur: I think I’m going to take a bath
    Hobson: I’ll alert the media. (mr mousie there, is a great john gielgud impressionist.)

41. Rebecca says:

I particularly enjoy the dog food kibble in the foreground of the second photo–a sort of cause and effect shot.

42. You are under a serious delusion if you think that this mouse is the only one in your house. I found one mouse in my apartment, set out some traps and caught a few. When I moved out there were mouse nests everywhere- in all the closets, under bookcases- everywhere.

43. 5^^now8ing says:

@ Edward: “Sealing cracks in the skirting boards probably has its own sub-committee.” – LOL! You clearly don’t live on the N American continent! I love how us Amurricans think any building that’s 100 years old is “historic.” Of course, here in Wichita, Kansas, the *very* oldest house dates from the 1870s (and is in the Old Cowtown Museum).

44. Kristabelle says:

Ah, what a cute wee mouse! We have mouse(s) currently, and they think that the humane trap is a game and clearly give the sticky traps the finger…I mean, we have them everywhere and I’ve even stepped on one with my flip flop (grumble, grumble, grumble), but I was informed that you must be VERY careful with mice, especially if you have other animals because they carry the Hanta Virus and it can KILL YOU! I was so upset to think of killing the mice, but if it’s me or him, I’ll choose me (and our dogs), thanks!
    The last person I spoke to suggested putting a ton of sticky and snap traps in the attic, since that is their doorway to all of the rooms in our house. :sigh:

45. If you want to trap “Norman”/Billy (and you probably do–there is never just one) butter and peanut butter make great bait in a live-trap. Mice love them. Also, make sure you release him farther than the end of the block–they’ll find their way back if they’re relatively close.

46. eep. That house’s foundation looks like its having a bit of problems…..

I blame mousey!

47. Paunchie says:

Billy’s looking right at her in this one

Billy, our house mouse

ZOMG ‘dorabulls!

48. leslie thomas says:

…um …so far, nobody has referenced “I love meeses to pieces”….?????
    c’mon, team !!!!

49. I found one of these wee ones in our sink. It had fallen into a pan I had left to soak, and when I walked in and turned the light on, the little guy froze. I stared at him, he stared at me, then I called the hubby downstairs. Found an empty container that once held oats (not a reusable one), coaxed mouse into it, then set it free outside. It was one mouse my dog didn’t get, thankfully!

50. I really them, but they are really, really destructive in the house. I had a mouse tunnel in a sofa, some sort of a mouse bed in a drawer…now I have cats.

51. There is no such thing as “just one mouse.”

52. edmundh says:

If he heads for the kitchen and cooks up a four course dinner, then somebody better call Pixar.

53. Kristen says:

I love that Cute Overload has now referenced Jeeves and Wooster!@!!!

54. excuse to insert favorite J & W quote…’Alf Todd,’said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery,’has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat’s left ear with a red-hot needle.’

55. brinnann says:

Edward, I’d love to see pictures of your 16th century house!

56. Paunchie says:

@sib: why would it matter if the room is dark, since the man is blind anyway?

57. essensual says:

Definitely cuter in your house than mine. :p