This Just In: Puppies for the Troops!

As part of a week-long series of “The Colbert Report” in Iraq, Stephen “Truthiness” Colbert teamed up with Tom “Niceiness” Hanks to send a USO care package to the troops, complete with Tang, ice cream — and a puppy! See the whole hilarious skit here (and skip to 3:22 for the puppyness!)

colbert-hanks-puppy

Comments

1. I am not sure what is cuter: Stephen Colbert w. his freshly shaved head (swoon) or that puppy.

2. Puppy and Ice Kweam!!!

3. skyweaver says:

The skit was funny with Hanks, but when they brought out chez cute puppy I had a hard time focusing – the room started spinning from a classic cute overload.

4. Was the puppy – ice cream training a nod to Stains? I like to think so.

5. gravyboat says:

Colbert really melts my butter.

6. Katiedid says:

If only the terrorists had cute little puppies or kitties.. maybe that would melt their hearts and the war would be over.. *sigh* if only…

7. balamuthia says:

Colbert is MUCH hotter than that shaggy wolfman guy.

And SQUEEEE! Pupppppyyyy!!!

8. What kind of puppy!!!!?!?!?!?!

9. Rooanne says:

BWAHAHAHA! I just watched this on another site, and I had the urge to send it to everyone I know. Everyone should send the troops ice cream and puppies. Add some rainbows and flowers, and kittens…..

Such a tolerant little fluffer pupper – must have a good sense of humor.

10. Oh give the puppy some ice cream already!

11. Martha in Washington says:

When Tom finally gets around to leaving that Rita woman I’m gonna marry him! Especially if he has a puppy and we can invite Stephen over for dinner.

12. Susan, it’s a Golden Retriever puppy. And it’s ADORABLE!!!

13. Plaid-shirt Pyrate says:

Martha in Washington — Just make sure that you watch out for flying rocks at your dinner party. Hanks seems to attract them

14. jess e. says:

Huge props to Stephen Colbert for bringing attention back to the troops.
    And how adorable is that puppy!?! So relaxed. Clearly a stage puppy. :)

15. That Colbert project in Iran is teh greatest. And that shaved head!! Yip! And now there’s a puppy in the mix!? Awesome.

16. Mary (the first) says:

I didn’t know Colbert had puppies on his show. I might have to start watching it!!

17. Great now I want ice cream and a puppy.

18. balamuthia says:

I think we *all* deserve ice cream and a floofy yellow puppy.

19. berthaservant says:

Just a note that there are organizations who help take care of pets of troops deployed overseas. http://www.guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org/ among others.

20. Oh, look at him! Can I have one of my very own if I ask nicely? He looks so happy and friendly.

The puppy’s pretty cute too.

21. I don’t know… kinda looks like a bear…

22. Adorable pup – who’s going to make sure it doesn’t get left over there??

23. graciecat says:

This was totally just an excuse to beat the crap out of an ice sculpture.

ps – puppy + ice cream + colbert/hanks = my neighbors think i’m a crazy laughing person now

24. Cordelia says:

Awwwwwwww! I hope they gave the puppy ice cream later on!

25. WendyPinNJ says:

Aw, dat not nice to tease dat poor baby, fluff ball of a puppeh with the ice cream like that. Puppeh looked so forlorn. And SOOOOOO darned fat–it was almost round.

Colbert is a pip. His a neighbor–kinda/sorta–here in Joisey!

Get the latest issue of Newsweek–he’s guest editor and it’s pretty darn funny. Of course.

26. WendyPinNJ says:

@thepetmuseum, I’m pretty sure Colbert is in Iraq, not Iran.

27. KatieKat says:

As a military brat & now spouse, I gotta applaud Stephen for the head-shaving! Just don’t shave the pupper… mebbe he could have an Army bandanna?

28. excellent… Support the troops…. Thanks to the US military, the world is a better place. Thank you guys in Iraq & Afghanistan

29. DaytimeDeb says:

I scared the cat when Hanks said “Always spay and neuter your pets” as he chipped that pieces off the ice sculpture. Laughed out –way out– loud there!

30. kibblenibble says:

It looks like the charmer’s comment has been removed…Thank you! *takes a few deep breaths…* Back to teh Qte.

31. That’s ANOTHER spherical puppy!

32. The Colbert Report is the best talk show ever.

33. puddlepeppers says:

I feel like taking our adopted dog “Tony” and a few of his dog pals to Sonic for an
    outdoor picnic with plain burgers and bread and vanilla ice cream. Let’s
    have birthday hats and a banner that says, “Good Dogs, So-So Dogs,
    Bad Dogs…We Rock!”
    Bring on the ice sculpture of Victoria Stillwell…obviously an ice maiden
    anywhen…How artis…”Guys! Guys!”…how soon we are all gone…

34. Space Cowgirl says:

Give them puppies? Whatever for? I seem to recall difficulty differentiating between living creature and sports equipment in the past.

Made the world a better place for whom? Oil companies?

35. Space Cowgirl says:

P.S.: Not nuffing! Love Colbert + fat fluffy baby puppy. And ice cream!

36. Aren’t they actually having a problem w/ soldiers sneaking back pets from the their tour? Usually they try to look the other way but apparently there have been some problems.

37. But STEPHEN! We can’t send puppies and ice cream! The puppies will EAT the ice cream!

38. Subhangi says:

Awww PUPPYYYYYY!!!

And Ice-Cream! WIN!

39. What a round ball of fluffy, patient sweetness!
    *slips the puppy some ice cream*
    *wipes snout of puppy*
    *snorgles puppy*
    *snorgles Colbert*

Shout-out to Colbert for his Iraq shows this week. It’s a week of historic TV that’s going to make its way into the TV history books. Which goes to show that most anything can have the awesome enhanced by a cute puppy.

40. gravyboat says:

OOOOOOOO, that is one of the cuh-YOO-test puppies I’ve ever seeeeeeeeen!

41. Emmaline says:

OMG! look at the puppeh!
    *tear*
    he would look so cute w/ my puppy shi-tzu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dont you agree!?

42. cannot watch this clip in britain, contenting myself with the comments…. sigh.. spherical is my new word…..

43. This totally cracked me up! “But Steven! We can’t put the puppy in with the ice cream!” “Why not?” “Because the puppy will eat the ice cream!”

44. Kristabelle says:

What cute puppy – but I’m not used to puppies being that STILL!!!!

45. awwww adorable puppy!

46. Paunchie says:

Saw the re-run of Colbert’s show last night from Baghdad — double plus plus ++ win! Great show. And Tom Hanks was super cute in that bit.

47. Retriever puppehs are generally pretty spherical and stubbular; I have never seen one as well-mannered as this one. Usually they are raising holy heck wif anything they can wrap their paws around. (Goggie has the demeanor of Jeeves, the Butler) :lol:

48. sunnymum says:

Sheesh, I can’t even hear what is being said when the puppy is on screen because I cannot stop squeeeingggggggggg! The Fed Ex lady came in at just the right time and started squeeing too! I adore Colbert and Hanks – funny and cute is a hard combo to beat!

49. Sasha's mum says:

Not just puppy but golden puppy!?! I’m falling over dead from over-cuteness.

BTW for any of my peeps in Canada, here’s the link to watch the segment via the Comedy Network (Comedy Central is geoblocked):

50. Rivahcat says:

Not only is Colbert totally kewl, he’s totally a critter lover!!! *melts into goo puddle*

51. martha in mobile says:

@Rivahcat — except for bears.

52. Stephen said, “I want a puppy so cute, it will be make ovulate.”

53. …that was way wrong.

Stephen said, “I want a puppy so cute, it will make me ovulate.”

54. Emily Rose says:

Lol, I loved this clip & Colbert’s week in Iraq. My brother is at Ft. Jackson right now for Basic Training; I think most of the troops would love a puppy and some ice cream, haha. Moreover, if you have the means right now, please do support the USO care package program ; )