The Eternal Struggle of Dog vs. Cupcake

It all began when that mean TV lady unleashed the hypnotic power that cupcakes have over the feeble canine mind…

… and soon, dogs everywhere had fallen helpless under their vanilla-swirled spell…

IMG_0401

Wake up, Fido, before it’s too late!  Rise up against your sugar-frosted overlords–before they enslave us all!

oscarcake

A mind-melding apple turnover compels me to credit Micaela R. (middle photo) and Cindy L. (bottom photo).

Comments

1. Leslie Thomas says:

Some serious eyeball action, there!!!!

2. Now that’s just cruel, the first one. Glad at least SOME dogs got their cupcakes (though I hope they were dog-safe, healthy cupcakes, if there is such a thing).

3. Wow – cupcakes sort of have that same power over me. Although I can usually fend off the vanilla ones. Give me chocolate and I’ll follow you anywhere…..

4. Starlinguk says:

Our cupbake shop does deeeeeeeeeeelishious dark chocolate cupcakes with vanilla icing.

I bet the first goggie got a treat after, right?

5. Trabb's Boy says:

Greta better start carrying a big bag o’ baby wipes around.

6. kittyroyaltee says:

Totally not fair to stick it in his face and then not let him have any. Poor baby, I hope get did get a treat after that.

7. Katrina says:

“Revenge is a dish best served with sprinkles”
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

8. Jenn in IL says:

I laugh about the “fairness” of not giving a dog sugary cupcakes. She was trying to teach him that he couldn’t have them – I’m sure he got a treat afterwards. :-) No worries, people!

Also, I first saw that clip on “The Soup” several months ago and my boyfriend and I cried tears of laughter.

9. Katiedid says:

WOW! LOL Thanks CO for making me laugh when I had to answer the phone haha..

10. Katiedid says:

I really hope that the people that say “oh its not fair to not give the dog cupcakes”, don’t have kids (or pets for that matter).
    You do not know the power of sugar people!!!!

11. kitty and Shaz, pup#1 is learning about respecting things that don’t belong to him. That’s a very important lesson for a dog living with humans, and it’s part of helping him understand his role in the pack (i.e., the humans are his leaders). Cupcakes are a momentary temptation, but solid confidence in one’s pack leaders means a lifetime of happy relations and mental health. It may seem cruel or unfair from a human perspective, but dogs have their own distinct culture and social rules, and we make them happiest when we respect those cultural differences.

12. Um, shouldn’t that be ‘pupcake’?

13. Check out:

Stains is quite the YouTube pheenom (nomnomnom)

14. claudia says:

Holy crow, I laughed so hard at Stains reaction… sincere frustration in his eyeballs right there….. wtg on your restraint Stains!!!

15. The Cuppycake Song

“You’re my Honeybunch, Sugarplum
    Pumpy-umpy-umpkin.
    You’re my Sweetie Pie
    You’re my Cuppycake, Gumdrop
    Snoogums-Boogums.
    You’re the Apple of my Eye.
    And I love you so and I want you to know
    That I’ll always be right here”
    And I love to sing sweet songs to you
    Because you are so dear”

Yes, you read that right, “pumpy-umpy-umpkin, snoogums-boogums”.
    LOL!

16. curiouscreature says:

the video doesn’t play for me :(

17. Jezebel says:

I’m glad I’m not that dog. I would fail…NOM!

18. Pheas, (and whoever else likes to “give a lesson” as the French say). Yes, yes, I know. Why people are so literal and sanctimonious beats me. It’s figurative speech. Figurative, requiring a grasp of abstraction. Life is cruel. We all have to learn lessons about what we can’t have. I personally am allergic to cats. Yes, tragedy. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t seem cruel. And no, I wouldn’t give my pets sugar, chocolate, etc. And it’s not just dogs that have different culture. Give me a @#$& break, people!

And go have a cupcake.

19. Not trying to be sanctimonious, Shaz. As you know, teh interwebs does not convey facial expressions or tone of voice. I have encountered many folks, including very smart ones who love and have lived with dogs, who think that we should treat dogs the way WE would like to be treated instead of the way THE DOGS would like to be treated. I wasn’t born knowing better; I learned when others were kind enough to share what they had learned.

I do have to wonder if poor Stains is in therapy for self-esteem issues stemming from his name!

20. Von Zeppelin says:

Poor Stains. I remember that exact same look on Ray Milland’s face in “Lost Weekend,” when he trades his typewriter for a bottle of booze.

21. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@curiouscreature: Try viewing the video at YouTube. This link will perform a search for “original stains cupcake” and the video I used should be at the top of the list.

22. emudoug says:

that doggie wants a cupcake harder than I’ve ever wanted anything ever.

23. Jenn in IL, the first time I saw Stains was on The Soup as well. It made me laugh so hard!!! Joel McHale rocks so much.

24. That’s how I look too when confronted with a plate of cupcakes.

Maybe it’s just finals stress taking it’s toll, but I LOLed so hard at this.

25. Chocolate and coconut please.

26. Kristabelle says:

Stains’ eyes – OMG! He’s saying, “For me? Right? FOR ME? RIGHT? MINE???? DAMN.”

27. metsakins says:

I’m thinking I need some of the training Stains got.
    *checks hips*
    Yup, definitely needing some training.

28. Melissa says:

I am totally using “Revenge is a dish best served with sprinkles” as my facebook status today!

29. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Jen, I loved Joel giving Stains the cupcakes on The Soup as well. He’s hysterical.

Gods, especially last week talking about Heidi & Spencer on Get me Out of here.
    Don’t think I’ve wanted to strangle 2 people so much in my life.

Okay, got that off my chest.
    Back to you, Stains.

30. Ah, Victoria Stilwell… how do I love thy show? Shall I count the ways?

And hey, at least she admitted it was cruel! He probably got a few pieces of chicken for that trick.

31. Estella says:

I saw Stains on the original “It’s Me or the Dog” episode and nearly giggled myself to death over his cupcake-glare. Victoria Stilwell, I <3 you so so so much…you're my hero!

32. STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS! Thank you Joel McHale for one of the most awesomest things I’ve ever seen.

33. Pussytoes says:

Evil beyotch.

34. Poor Stains; I can totally empathize with him. That’s exactly how I picture myself when yearning for a goodie I should not have: (I think my eyes look just like Stains, except they rotate independently of each other: :roll: )

35. MEAN!

36. Lerrinus says:

*shakes head* Poor Stains!
    Dog looks like he’s kissing the cupcake in the second pic and the photographer has perfect timing for the third pic! :-D

37. Mary (the first) says:

Maybe I need a very skinny stern woman saying “AWAY!!” to me whenever I’m tempted by cupcakes .. nachos.. etc. That would probably be a good thing, overall, not counting the part where I KILL HER!

38. Hypno-Dog!

39. I think they need to use the music from the dramatic gopher. Then, perfection.

40. Kristabelle says:

@ Mary (the first) – HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

41. I love how they removed the paper cup in the third pic. Cupcakes maybe tasty, paper is not. Consideration is always in.

42. Actually, the real power of the cupcake resides in the frosting. Few people know that the cake is there merely to provide architectural support for the frosting. Fact!

43. Micaela R says:

The first dog is mine. It’s a pupcake from the Three Dog Bakery. It’s completely dog safe and healthy. She got to dig into it right after the photo op so calm down people, sheesh!

44. Kristabelle says:

Micaela – she looks like she’s kissing it! Glad she enjoyed it!

45. Micaela R says:

I’m one of those weirdos who buys overpriced treats for their dogs. It was a birthday surprise for our other dog and Muppet was pumped to get in on some of that pupcake action.

46. Look at the frosting job on the last cupcake….perfection! A robot must’ve done that. Only robots can be calm enough around cupcakes to frost that precisely.

47. DaytimeDeb says:

It might be a struggle for Stains and the next pup, but for pup in photo #3 the struggle appears to be over. Has anyone ever backed “away” from a cupcake or other treat once they have started to wrap their mouth around said treat? Nope, the struggle is definitely over for this pup, and the cupcake has won!

48. Micaela R? you are the first person I have ever heard of that has my name… spelled like it is, and my last initial.

all the micaelas I’ve met had it spelled with H’s or K’s

I did a spit take all over my keyboard when I saw the sender inner.
    (I thought, wait… I don’t have a dog… OH.)

you have made my day!

49. Frosting? Ugh. Pure sugar with no taste. I’d rather scrape off the frosting so I can enjoy the cake unembellished. In general, I find that if you need a garnish to make it taste good, then don’t bother.

I think I’m sharing a little too much on this site.

50. Katiedid says:

Now I know what the first dog reminds me of!! My mom’s dog, bo, when you have one of those frosty paw things.. hehe.. I have to buy them for him everytime because he goes cross-eyed licking it .. lol :-P

51. KatieKat says:

Micaela, is that the Three Dog Bakery in Virginia? The three dogs being 3 gorgeous Bernese Mountain dogs?

52. adolphus says:

You know, I just don’t like that Me or the Dog lady. (Never watched it long enough to recall her name.)

Now, the team at Barking Mad could have accomplished the same things without the mean, harda$$ British Nannie act.

We trained our rescue dog not to eat our food without ever resorting to this type of torture, er, I mean enhanced obedience technique.

53. Micaela R says:

It’s the Three Dog Bakery in Seattle, WA. I think they have one in San Francisco too.

54. AuntieMame says:

On most of Victoria Stillwell’s shows, it’s the people who need to be locked away. To say nothing of the dogs.

When I was a kid, I’d eat the cake and leave the frosting. Nowadays, I prefer the frosted soft sugar cookies you can get in the grocery store bakery. Especially the pink frosting with sprinkles.

55. “Enhanced obedience technique.”

Good one, Adolphus.

56. violetgreen says:

Stains is merely herding those cupcakes into a tight bunch with his hypnotic stare. “That’ll do, Stains. That’ll do.”

57. kibblenibble says:

My friend has an Australian Shepard who looks very similar to Stains; light blue eyes and all. Her eyes *always* look intense like that, even when she’s sitting there with nothing much going on around her. At first her eyes disconcerted me, then I got used to them and realized she was not looking at me as intensely as her strange-colored eyes made it seem. Stains is probably not as distressed as his eyes make him look.

58. I love the “Soup” version:

59. oh my GOSH when i saw stains make that face on the show i almost peed my pants. i knew it would only be a matter of time before he showed up on CO!!!

60. I would LOVE to see the look of ecstasy on Stains’ face as he snarfs a cupcake…

61. puddlepeppers says:

adolphus…really like “enhanced obedience technique”. A winner.

62. Can you imagine Stains at a Cake Shoppe window?

63. berthaservant says:

Existantia — yeah, singing “How much is that cupcake in the window? The one with the sprinkl-y top….”

I’m not sure if operant conditioning is “mean,” but it is conditioning, which is required to get animals to behave. (If you’re into that sort of thing. Which I’m not. Which is why I have a cat).

64. I feel the pain of these animals, I too, am unable to resist cupcakes. :(

65. LOL! The Zombie Eyezzzzzzz! :D

66. Jenn in IL says:

It makes me quite happy that so many other people know and love the genius that is Joel McHale.

67. Blueindy says:

OMG, hilarious!

68. Cupcakes also hold a hypnotic power over my mind.