WHERE DID MY ‘TOCKS GO?

This poor lil’ mooselette is missing his tockular regions!

I suppose it’s normal for a guy his age…?

Baby Moose 1

Sender-Inner Val C. sez: “Hello! My sister and I live in Alaska, and she basically lives in the middle of nowhere. She often has wildlife roaming through her yard. Last week when her husband got up to let their two dogs out, they both made a beeline a place under my sister’s deck, where a mama moose had given birth a few hours before. The baby was still a little wet, she said. Of course, the mama was not thrilled with the dogs, who both got stomped, and miraculously came out unscathed…My sister said the mama and the wobbly baby wandered off into the surrounding woods a short time later.”

Comments

1. Baby Mooooose!!!!!!111!!!!!!!

2. this tocktacular post brought to you by the letter T and the number 1… and by our special word… Moose.

3. Aw, no, hims got ‘tocks. They just skinny and little and hard to see.

4. there once was a cute baby Moose
    Who was born with a tiny caboose
    he ran and he played till the end of the day
    now his caboose fits this very young moose!

5. Your format’s loose. ;)

6. Paunchie says:

You guys remember that place from Russia I think, that was like a moose refuge or sompin? “Kiss a lovely moose”? Great photos.

However, I will refrain from posting my thoughts on what the dogs were doing. (EW)

7. and i was excited about baby bunnehs in my backyard… guess a baby moose tops my baby bunnehs…

8. rosieLB says:

I highly recommend “Mooses Come Walking” by Arlo Guthrie. It’s a must have for every personal library.

“Mooses come walking up over the hill. Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still. When mooses come walking they walk where they will.”

9. Laureling says:

Awwwww!!!!!!!!!! This is mind-meltinly cute. Baby moose is so cuddly…too bad momma would not appreciate attempts to snorgle her baby.

10. 260Oakley says:

Mmm, double helping of chocolate moose!

11. skippymom says:

Ha! Rosie, you beat me to it! I turned away for a moment, and was going to mention “Mooses Come Walking” when I got back, but by gosh, you’d done it already.
    Yes, everyone should have a copy of that, and also “How To Massage Your Cat” by Alice Brock.

12. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

A møøse once bit my sister’s tocks… (No realli!)

13. skippymom says:

Did your sister bite the moose’s tocks back?

14. charliewabba says:

skippymom – my copy of “How to Massage Your Cat” is on my desk at work. It is part of my work library, along with “bad cat” (from the my cat hates you website).

15. AHHH!!! I had a dream last night about being chased by a moose. He didn’t like me much. Bad dream night for me.

16. Paunchie says:

mebbe he thought her tocks were tasty!

17. catloveschanel says:

so this could be a new trend in weight loss informercials-
    “bite the ‘tocks, lose weight quick!”

Concave ‘tocks

18. ! A fresh lil mooselet! Smoosch.

(And…great Python reference, Other Mike.)

19. skippymom says:

charliewabba, I had that Bad Cat book. After I had viewed each page about 500 times, I kinda got tired of it. “HTMYC”, however, in my opinion puts one in danger of hurting oneself from laughing no matter how many times one has read it.

20. Kristabelle says:

Tiny tocks!

21. Mary (the first) says:

I also have the “How to Massage Your Cat” .. I think.. doesn’t it start with instructions on flipping the cat onto its back.. Hmmm I have to read it again, I guess. Meanwhile, OMGMOOSEBABBEEEHHH!!!

22. Mary (the first) says:

Oh and YAY for people who have decks that they have available for wandering moose mamas to take a little refuge while they give birth!

23. OMGMEESETOCKS!1!!!11!! *SPLODE*

24. The ‘tocks got nicked
    The moose is fine
    But the ‘tocks are ticked.

(See, it was an attempted armed robbery,
    But there were no arms, I guess…)

25. Jezebel says:

Maybe if you blew into his nose his ‘tocks would pop out.

26. You first, Jez.
    [standing well back]

27. Excellent all around knobbularity!

28. Bebeh mooses almost make me want to go to Alaska.

29. Metz, they live in other places, too!

30. Paunchie says:

attempt at armed robbery! pfffsshhhhh! *snort*

31. Camping in the Boundary Waters in Northern MN (I live south of there), I saw a Momma Moose and Baby Moosie swimming right across the river we were on! It was majestic but I also tried to stay back (and quiet) so Momma wouldn’t come to attack us. They are beautiful and HUGE! I love the little moosie action!

32. Those HMO’s are getting worse for post-delivery visits.

I think we beat our own record for mentioning moose biting our sisters.

33. These are primo A #1 tocks!

Love that bony butt!

34. Argyle Donkeypants says:

I’m disappointed. When I first heard about this post from a friend, I thought I’d be finding out critical wildlife investment information that would make me rich (moose stocks). But clearly that would be too easy. Then I wondered if it was about a moose with advanced, human-like communication skills (moose talks), or at least about one that harassed locals until they feared for their very lives (moose stalks).

[sigh] But no, it’s just CO continuing to do what CO does. Talkin’ ’bout moose ‘tocks. (Alces alces asses?)

35. PS You know the head is cut off Mama Moose. Is that nice?

36. PPS “Boney butt” reminds me of that old Latin saying, “O fili mi boni belli.”

37. AuntieMame says:

All I can say is that anyone who starts “fili-ing” mi boni belli is gonna get a smack upside the head. :D

And we have mooses (mices?) here in Colorado, too, but I’ve never seen a newborn, ‘tockless one.

38. Other Moosie places… Besides Colorado as Mentioned….

Montana, Idaho Washington Oregon Minnesota Michigan Vermont… Maine and Wyoming

39. berthaservant says:

I make this joke all the time, but I think this is the Berkowitzes in disguise.

40. Sarah F. says:

To triple your behbeh moose viewing pleasure, check out my favorite Alaskan blog, The Mudflats. The woman who writes this typically-political (and anti-Sarah Palin) blog has pictures of TWIN behbeh mooses (meese?) in her yard, frolicking, playing the sand box, and contemplating swinging on the swings. http://www.themudflats.net/2009/05/27/open-thread-moose-twins-update/

41. If your moose’s buns don’t drop by 18 months, consult your veterinarian.

42. Soraiya says:

Moose caboose!

43. I live in Maine and drive 40 miles through woods to get to work. We see day old and younger calves once in a while, and a year ago were priviledged (my carpool buddy and I) to see a mamma moose with twins that were barely dry. Watching those back legs lift BACKWARDS from those awkward knees as they minced up the hill was a sight you don’t forget!

44. Von Zeppelin says:

He may be skinny and small now, but someday he’ll play fullback for Wossamatta U.

45. Aw, VonZep, that trick never works!

46. Von Zeppelin says:

Theresa, I can’t tell you what a burden it is being Mr. Knowitall. Just reading the fan mail from flounders takes hours a day.

47. Ah writtenwyrdd, which way ta Millinocket? ;-)

48. Aww, Mr. Knowitall, could you repeat how to be a Beatnik? I think I’m doing it wrong.

49. shouldn’t they be called moslings?

50. LizzyCat says:

That’s my second-favorite part of Holy Grail, NTMTOM!

51. Baby moose ‘tocks are too cute

52. hon glad says:

Those back legs have much sproing potential.

53. wannadance says:

when i was a frosh at wassmatte U., i was taught the real truth:

all newborn beasties ain’t got no tocks to speak of. it was a shock when mine own bebbeh was born and ah wailed ‘where’s her butt?’

think on it: what use are tocks when all you do all day is float upside down, bored to death, practicing your spanish and reviewing your portfolio? they would only take up space.

they plump out when you need ‘em. although i love the idea of trying to inflate them. but through the nose? that’s the hard way….

onward,
    ms. biologist

54. Janice and "Ralph" the Wonder Llama says:

We apologise for the fault in the comments section. Those responsible have been sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti…

55. Ho! What a luck! I hope they are both okay :-))). You can tell your sister she’s lucky to have moment like this. Nature is priceless :-).