This Is Not a Pup Smoking a Pipe

Alas, it is merely the image of a pup smoking a pipe.  We post it to illustrate the paradox that confronts us: Even as we seek the essence of Teh Qte, we attain only its effigy, captured in an imperfect medium that robs our senses of the nuance of sound and touch: The wagging of the tail; the satisfying feel of a skritchy-scratch under the chin; the glance of recognition at the phrase “who’s a good boy, then?” or as the French would say, “Oo ees zay goot boy, zen?” Indeed, it was René Descartes, a leading light among the French philosophers, who would probe the boundaries of Man’s attempts to reconcile the worlds of the real and the ethereal, seeking the underlying truth behind the contradictions of our fruitless quest to…

3467832779_927dd08419_o

Kate D., it’s been Magritte pleasure to post this Flickr image for you.

Comments

1. berthaservant says:

This is not a comment.

2. googlie eyes says:

Ceci n’est pas un pup (but it sure is cute)!

3. hAHA, I like berthaservant’s comment.

Oo ees zay goot boy, zen. I had to read that a few times before I could tell what it said

4. Mmmmmmmmm what to say????????????

5. Ceci n’est pas une pup.

6. (headslap), Oh, beaten by Googlie Eyes!

7. Martha in Washington says:

The picture is cute, but NOMTOM’s comment is cuter. I swear if I wasn’t already married…But he is in Hawaii right now…I could do a road trip…NOMTOM, where do you live?

8. Dammit! googlie eyes beated me. Well played, GE [cricket clap].

C’est n’est pas une nuffe.

Magritte Roches!

9. PS Descartes walks into a bar, and the bartender says, “Having a beer?” and Descartes says “I think not.” Whereupon he disappears. :mrgreen:

10. 260Oakley says:

And if we threw in a toilet, this could Un Chien On-da-Loo. (Merci, Film Studies 101).

11. Katrina says:

Now wait jes’ a tic- this CO thang is gitt’n a all of a pallaver over this here non-pup not smokin’ this here non-pipe. Its gotta stop right now. There IS a pup and there IS a pipe and that’s all there is to it….jest sayin’ it dodn’t make nothin ‘true or is it the truth’ll make ya fr… oh, now ya got me all turned aroun’…….danged hippies. Ah, go eat sme natural snail-like vegetable matter with year freedom fries…danged hippies…mpghthrpghpmmpthr

12. PS: D’où Venons Nous? Que Sommes Nous? Où Allons Nous?

13. dylanimore says:

I don’t find lung cancer cute.

Although the pic is adorable! -squishes puppeh, scolds him about his addiction-

Bad, bad puppeh!!

(Although, wow, what kind of breed is this pup? He’s adorable)

14. My life would be so much more joyless if not for hovahtext.

15. Von Zeppelin says:

Have you got one of a cat in a bowler hat with a green apple floating in front of his face? Or maybe a ferret speeding out of a fireplace on a locomotive?

Le surréalisme, c’est superbe!

16. Hello Belgian moment!!! :-D At least this is something worthy, and arty! Not like marketed stuff like you see generally (when I buy chocolate, it’s at the supermarket, and I never drink beer, and I hate that small thing peeing in Brussels.). There you go, this one is done ;-p.

Great post NTMTOM, I had to read it twice to get it *face palm* lol.
    And how lovely picture!!! So beautiful. Well, smoking is bad, but, this is a picture. ^^

A big thought for the dog. :-) You are being remembered buddy :-)). I’d kiss you on the forehead if I could.

And “Ben Rains” left the “ceci n’est pas un pup” comment on the flickr pic. ^^ Haha, CO overloading the net, muahaha ;p.

17. I can’t believe you would post something so irresponsible. My dogs look at this site. Now they’re going to think smoking is cute!

18. Katrina says:

Do we or don’t we know the gender of this alleged pup?

19. AuntieMame says:

Methinks the outrageous Frawnsch accent has migrated somewhere into Austria. :)

And the dog needs some bubbles floating out of his pipe.

20. Katrina there is no pup so there is n gender.
    Ceci nest pas Une Gender

21. I don’t mean to rain on your parade, but that is a photoshop. Someone showed me this image last night and I was playing with it in photoshop (running it through various filters, trying to make it look nicer) and this happened: http://i41.tinypic.com/any642.png

Still, vintage cute doggie!

22. Katrina says:

Oh, Lhyzz, just go with the flow, sweetheart, go with the flow, (*snerk*)!

23. Oh poor little think :O

24. doodlebug says:

Toooo manyyy werdzzzzz tooo reeeadzzzz……honk shuuu…honk shuuu……zzzzzz

25. berthaservant says:
  26. Von Zeppelin says:

Lhyzz, it may be that this particular picture is Photoshopped, as you prove with your investigative software. Still, that doesn’t mean that this dog NEVER smokes a pipe, does it? I mean, you could Photoshop a picture of me eating pizza, but I still eat pizza in real life.

If, that is, this were a dog. Or a pipe. Which it is not.

But it might be.

27. Can we move to Great Britain? Not-Pup needs a deerstalker hat and he’ll look just like Sherlock Holmes.

Ps Un Chien Andalou – I have nightmares about that film!!! The eye, the eye… (covers head and runs to hide…)

28. Beauregard says:

Bravo! Love philosophical references!

29. Ha, I laughed out loud. Love the comments. Doesn’t the photoshopping ADD to the postmodern baudrillardness of it all? I mean, it’s not REAL, it’s an image, it’s a fake image, how much better can it get? Totally a propos. :)

30. P.S. Two weeks till I turn in my dissertation to the committee! Five weeks to the defense! Wooooooooo! (I am exhausted.)

31. P.Erasmus says:

lady walking over Lansdown, near Bath, was overtaken by a large dog, which had left two men who were travelling the same road with a horse and cart, and followed by the animal for some distance, the creature endeavouring to make her sensible of something by looking in her face, and then pointing with his nose behind. Failing in his object, he next placed himself so completely in front of the object of his solicitude, as to prevent her from proceeding any farther, still looking steadfastly in her face. The lady became rather alarmed; but judging from the manner of the dog, who did not appear vicious, that there was something about her which engaged his attention, she examined her dress, and found that her lace shawl was gone. The dog, perceiving that he was at length understood, immediately turned back; the lady followed him, and he conducted her to the spot where her shawl lay, some distance back in the road. On her taking it up, and replacing it on her person, the interesting quadruped instantly ran off at full speed after his master, apparently much delighted.

32. Ptychozoon says:

It’s a pipe smoking a dog.

33. puddlepeppers says:

@Shaz…sending best wishes your way.

34. It’s a pipe dream…

35. @pyrit… LOL! …always wondered what pies dreamt about….

36. @shaz – baudrillardness?? A neologism I shall embrace with all my heart.
    It is not a “real” word – but by typing I create an image of “baudrillardness” in pixellated text – and that is sufficient.

The Qte – always slightly beyond real.

37. soxfan413 says:

P. Erasmus, I started to wonder why the dog didn’t just grab the shawl and bring it to the lady, then my sixties childhood kicked in and I thought of Lassie. “What is it, girl?!”

I’m glad the dog didn’t bring the shawl. Human-canine understanding is always a good thing. :)

38. DaytimeDeb says:

Berthaservant, I believe this is the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33855672@N03/3430361791

39. DaytimeDeb says:

Oh and if a dog barks but there is nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

40. As always, pithy commentary. I appreciate it as always.

41. puddlepeppers says:

“Puff the Magic Doggie”
    *O0<

42. Bad doggy!!!!!

43. Hovertext = win

44. Hope the dog over there is of legal age! lol.

45. Cute Maya says:

Wow its really cute!

46. this is not a comment…..

47. Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe. (And sometimes ce que n’est pas un pipe est seulement une pipe).

Anyone who wants to correct my French can just pipe up.

48. If this dog were to enter Westminster, he would totally be DuChamp.

49. @daytimedeb: Thanks! Check it: Rene has a bumbershoot and bowler!

@ dale: le groan! And would he bark, ‘Arp! Arp!’? And would un Chat Andalou say,’Miro’?

Thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all week. Enjoy duBuffet.

50. Magritte doggie = tres mignon.

Could do without the bong water tho’. Tres ick.

51. berthaservant says:

thank you daytime deb, it looks like this could be the same doggeh! (well, maybe not, but let me believe — he’s black and about the right size!)

and anyone who is claiming this is “photoshopped” clearly doesn’t understand the ontology of the image; even if the image were “unshopped” in the current parlance, it is merely a representation of an event which we have no direct access too; thus, regardless of the presence or absence of the pipe in phenomenological reality, the presence or absence of the image of the pipe within the frame is itself merely an indicator of absence, a word standing in for the thing itself, a symbol replacing an ideal for the purposes of consensual, dialectical communication; in other words, if it ain’t real, don’t fix it….

52. big mama cat says:

René Magritte’s dog???????

53. Leslie Thomas says:

…somehow this seems an appropriate place for me to angst over the FACT that:
    when I first enrolled in college, all full of meself fer comp-ing (CLEP test) out of the first 18 hours of French classes…first semester in college, I signed up for the first course that I would take which was actually TAUGHT IN French (as opp to taking the grammar series, in which the English lecture taught how to assemble French vocab into grammatically correct sentences, etc) ….& thought …”hmmm: “Existentialist Literature in French? Sounds FASC-inatin’ !!!” & inflicted a mental hangover on myself for that semester….
    Kids, DON’T try this at home OR at college, unless ye’re Mensa & MUCH more advanced in your comprehension in French, than I was, at that time. “D’OH!!!”

Submitted for your approval from the “Truth/ Stranger than Fiction” Dept.

54. Forget Robert Downey Jr, this is the guy they should have cast as the new Sherlock Holmes – look at that pensive face, all he needs is a deerstalker hat.

55. @Annie: Exactly

@Berthaservant: Indeed! Better than I put it. :)

Ok, it’s 6 a.m., I am up to do some serious writing. Good day y’all.

56. Katrina says:

On the Internet nobody knows you are a dog.
    Wait, Robert Downey Jr. is a black dog? Whatevers.

57. @P Erasmus– Lansdowne? She was going to a Red Sox game?

58. Aelfwyn says:

Of course, it’s not in fact the image of a dog smoking a pipe. It’s the image of an image of a dog smoking a pipe. Possibly. This is why I gave up philosophy – it does my head in, let alone in French. Am enjoying the commentary though! Meg & NOMTOM, can we make The Theory of Qte a regular feature of CO please?

(260Oakley – un chein on-da-loo – rofl!)

59. Ho Lhyzz, you did rain on my parade, but at the same time it’s nice you mentioned it. As I’m not a professional graphist nor one at all, I can’t really tell, though it seems like you’re right (notice the coffee smoke-like that gets out of the pipe?).
    BUT, pipe or no pipe, it doesn’t matter: the dog is beautiful! :-)
    At the same time, there goes the belgian moment (which went totally unnoticed anyway *slightly embarrassed*), “this is not a pipe” transformed into “there is no pipe”. ;-p

Maybe someone should warn the people over at [ http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=eresources&lng=en&inst=consortium&conf=./chameleon.conf&search=KEYWORD&function=INITREQ&elementcount=1&u1=12101&op1=0&t1=4461981 ] of the possible digital alteration. :-s

@Dale:

“Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.”:
    – “Parfois une pipe n’est rien qu’une pipe”
    – “Parfois une pipe est juste une pipe”

But I wouldn’t say that to anybody as “pipe” is part of french slang… Or you should insist on the literal side of the word. :-))
    Pup= chiot (un)
    Dog= chien (Un chien/ masculine – Une chienne/feminine )

@Michael Claymore: you’re right. Although, the dog is paying justice to the actor. ^^

60. Is that Bing Crosbys lyrical mumbling, I hear…..Baa ba ba baba buuum…

61. Space Cowgirl says:

Kate D., it’s been Magritte pleasure to post this Flickr image for you.

Survived 4/5 the post, then slain by a pun…LOL.

62. Je suis désolé, mais je n’ai pas le choix
    Je suis désolé, mais la vie me demande ça

63. hon glad says:

Gotta light boy?

64. My insistence to click the link and to ponder the irrefutable.

65. Katrina says:

Thomas, very nice job, that ought shut ‘em up!

Gotta light boy! Oh, snerkity-snerk!

Lars- is there a ‘me’ in there somewhere? Je me suis? Non? I’ve forgotten all of my awful high schools French, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.