Ready… Aim…

Bravely refusing the blindfold, Lieutenant Drummond defiantly stared down the row of soldiers before him, each with a single snowball at the ready.  “Does condemned have any last requests?” asked Colonel Blatznykov.

2960116125_1158ba3c59_o

More vintage WTF from Flickr Commons.

Comments

1. SoCalSis says:

At least they had the courtesy of not tying his flippers behind his back. Now, THAT’S respect!

2. brinnann says:

:lol: Poor bebeh! He’s moltingks!

3. I think a better caption would be “Uh, wow. Gesundheit, dude”.

4. Wow, he looks like he’s been through my husband’s so called grooming.
    This is what I saw when I got home last night.
    She’s a pom by the way.

5. Camille says:

Clearly his crime is improper maintenance of his uniform. There’s nothing worse for regimental morale than an inelegant penguin.

6. Argyle Donkeypants says:

This is the punishment for tearing the tag off a pillow: getting rolled and coated with the feathers inside the pillow.

Hang in there, little pinguino. You’ll live it down someday.

7. All I can think of is Iago the parrot in the Disney version of Aladdin – “Look at this, look at this, I’m so ticked off that I’m MOLTING!”

8. Oh no, in the old black & white movies the penguins always offer their prisoner a last cigarette.

9. Elisha B. says:

Holy fluffitude, Batman!!!!!!!

10. Metz, he doesn’t look any worse than the shaved cocker spaniel I grew up with. Looks pretty happy!

11. temperance says:

(say in wicked witch of the west voice)

‘ i’m molting! i’m mmmoooollltttltiiiinnnnnggggg……!!!’

12. balamuthia says:

You know….these penguins look fake. I thought maybe they were decoy research penguins or something…

…so weird.

13. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@balamuthia: The photo itself is very old (taken during an expedition in 1911-1914), so that might explain why it looks a bit artificial.

14. DaytimeDeb says:

Ah, thanks NTMTOM. That explains why the penguins look so much smaller than the penguins of today. ;-)

15. balamuthia says:

@NTMTOM-

Ahhh, okay! Thank you for the info!

16. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@DaytimeDeb: These are Adelie Penguins, and according to Wikipedia, they are not the tallest of penguin species, ranging from 46 to 75 cm (18 to 30 in) in length. Wikipedia describes them as “mid-sized,” as opposed to “compact” and “sport utility” sizes. ;)

17. I dunno… A more apt caption would be along the line of, “Dude, wtf just happened?”

18. @NTMTOM: Do you know of some examples of ‘compact’ and ‘sport utility’ sized penguins? What about ‘sub-compact’? Don’t forget that there are at least three different ‘sport utility’ sizes too… ;)

And now I am wondering what would be the ‘mini cooper’ or ‘smart car’ of penguins

19. skippymom says:

It’s one of those delicious penguin cakes with the fluffy white frosting and the coconut flakes sprinkled all over it. The three on the right haven’t yet received their full application of coconut.
    We always had one of those cakes at Easter when I was a kid.

20. Camille says:

@T.L. – I believe the Fairy penguin of Australia is the Smart Car of penguins. The Galapagos penguin is slightly larger so I guess it would be the Mini Cooper. And the Emperor penguin would have to be the S.U.V.

21. chanpon says:

Immediate penguin to the right: “A little overdoing it on the mousse there, aren’t you, Steve?”

22. the smallest pengu is from NZ, the blue- under a foot high (25 cms) and weighs a lil more than a kilo (2.2+ lbs)

largest living species is emperor pengu- over 3 1/2 ft high (over a meter) and 80-90 lbs (sorry not metric handy for that)

23. Kristabelle says:

My goodness! Peng is looking a bit worse for the wear… in my neighborhood, we would say he looks like ten miles of bad road.

24. Squinty says:

lol, if you hadn’t said “vintage,” i never would’ve known it was a black & white photo

25. Doggabone says:

@Sue

With that posture and its boggled-looking expression, Pingu does look as though he’s sneezed so hard that the recoil embedded him in the snow and ice. That’s the first thing I thought of.

26. skippymom says:

If you take a color photo of a scene in which everything is black and white, is it still a color photo?

27. LOLDemon says:

It was as this point that the School of the Antarctic realized the problem with holding Class Picture Day during molting season.

28. @ T.L. – Ha! My heewo.
    Well done.

29. I think the ‘Bless You’ idea is good. Metz, i laughed at your poor pom. And I thought i was having a bad hair day. I feel pretty good after looking at these two photos….

30. @Metz – You have a pom?! And you have a hubbie who grooms poms?! You’re so lucky! Your pom is cuuuuute! Hugs to your pom! Poms are great! I want a pom! I wish I had a pom! I want a red one! Someday …I’ll have a pom! Tiddly-pom!

31. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

What is up with all this snow? Why don’t you guys go take a plunge in the ocean? eh?

32. katinarkit says:

Pyrit.

Obtain a pom. Do it. They’re the best. I have one I call NikNik (Nudnik).
    The captions for this are brilliant, as was the sneeze idea!

33. katinarkit – I hear you loud and clear!

34. “OMG fancy getting my photo taken looking like this

sooooooooo embarrassing !”

35. LyhjeHylje says:

@Metz
    Umm… you might want to stock some holy water and extra crucifixes. That pom looks like it has some sinister agendas. And remember to lock your bedroom door.

36. AuntieMame says:

I thought Metz’s puppeh was saying “Lookit meeee! Ain’t I cute?” :D

37. “What did I DO last night??”

38. “There’s just no talking to her when she’s molting.”

39. Kristine says:

Are these the penguins from the Muppet Show?

[Precursors, maybe. ;) - Ed.]

40. Subhangi says:

ROFL!!! How adorable! I love this photo!

41. hon glad says:

We told you not to take the Lolrus’s buckit.

42. @TL, Those would definitely be the Fairy or Little Penguins, who live in Australia. They are about as big as your hand, and head-explodingly cute.

43. Katrina says:

Is this the result of being snowed on by a snow thrower operated by an Antarctic researcher??

44. Lerrinus says: