Amazing New Species Discovered!

Friends, we stand at the threshold of evolutionary history, because the San Francisco Zoo has discovered the first-ever gorilla/giraffe hybrid!  The Zoo has released this amazing photo of the baby “gorillaffe” (homo reticulus redonkuli), which should silence even the most doubtful skeptics, and you can see more on the Zoo’s Picasa pages.

v1

Comments

1. Obviously someone’s monkeying around with Photoshop!

2. Girilla?

3. Lizzums says:

Wow! That’s the most interesting species I have ever seen! It would appear that some cardboard was involved in the um… pre-gestational activities.

4. OMG . . . the slideshow of him makes me weep. What a precious little baby!

5. Mary (the first) says:

I don’t care what kind of baby it is, it’s BEE-YOO-TEE-FULLLLLLL

6. I don’t know what it is, but it’d make a great librarian.

7. “Who could it be? This animal that I do see? Who can help me guess this MYSTERY!!!!???”

8. catloveschanel says:

I think it is a Goraffe, Estlin, according to wickipedia.

9. OMGClickety thru to the zoo pictures he isin his little clubhous … Awwwwwwwwww HE could not get any cuter.

10. emudoug says:

made me giggle <3

11. starlinguk says:

Oh yes, definitely photoshop, you can tell by the pixels.

12. Von Zeppelin says:

There is NO WAY this is Photoshopped. Notice that the tan color of the gorillaraffe’s body is the exact color of the vast plains of the Serengeti in the background. It’s EXACTLY the same color. If this isn’t naturally evolved camouflage, I don’t know what is. No Photoshop technology in the world could match this so perfectly. Notice also that the shape of the two horns is slightly different. Photoshop would have made them symmetrical. Finally, the animal’s body and the background have a flat appearance, caused by the depth of field effect of a powerful telephoto lens.

This is a beautiful picture of a rare hybrid in its natural environment. I expect to see it on the cover of National Geographic some time soon.

13. marthava says:

so funny…and oh, yeah…i toooootally agree with von… lol

14. When he grows older, he’ll be a Silverneck

15. His name is Hasani– how sweet is that?

16. berthaservant says:

People, please. Let’s call this what it is.

A gorilla (who isn’t a very good artist) desperately trying to disguise his addiction to box.

Get thee to boxhab, primate brother. And maybe get some art therapy while you’re at it. It’s called PERSPECTIVE, apply it!

(worst. giraffe belleh. ever.)

17. Woooo! Permanent marker fumes!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!! (thud)

18. Camille says:

I notice there’s a photo of Hasani eating a carrot while sitting on a blanket. Is “eating carrots in bed” today’s secret theme?

19. 260Oakley says:

Oh you mock him now, Berthaservant, but I suggest you check out the slide show and get a load of the size of his papa. Someday you may find yourself presented with an open can of gorilla whoopass! (I had to Google that to make sure I had the correct spelling).

20. Giraffe-Monkey? Is that a Junky?

21. PS: Sweet gorilla from Manila!

22. Wombats says:

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

23. chanpon says:

I think this is just the silverback learning new and innovative techniques to protect himself from poachers.

24. louieballoo says:

LOL, silverneck – too funny! You guys are the best.

Just one thing though, T.U.M. – why’d he make a great librarian??

25. Jean-Noel says:

The photo is not photoshoped. The photo was taken by my girlfriend who is a primate keeper at the zoo. Everyone can thank Eva for this awesome shot. I think she actually was the one who drew the giraffe.

26. definitely Photoshoped – I Photoshop animal photos for magazines so I would know!!LOL!

27. Y’all… at least try to spell it right, OK? Yeesh.

28. Not That Mike The Other Mike says:

@Jean-Noel: Thanks for the information, and please pass along our compliments to your girlfriend for the amazing shot. The entire photo set is delightful, but that shot is pure once-in-a-lifetime gold.

29. Jean-Noel: I think when they were sayin it was ‘shopped they were being ..uh… they were kidding.. like.. oh hell.. I can’t explain it..so nevermind.

I love the Gorillaffe, Girilla, Gorgiraffe, giraffilla……

30. kadelalo says:

This sweet baby boy has a face only a momma could love… count this mom in! The box is ‘for real’ actually his club house w/sign over the door ‘no girls allowed’… thanks for sharing!

31. thats too cute for me, now i can die happy

32. Holy Moley! I can’t stop looking at little Hasani’s photo album! He is so adorable! So many of his expressions are the same as the ones I’ve seen on human babies’ faces.

What a fun job! And check out that super-cool clubhouse! ^_^

I think this is one of my most favorite posts on CO, EVAR.

33. platedlizard says:

I’m pretty sure that’s actually one of my baby pictures, quite possibly taken during my first Christmas. My parents really shouldn’t have bothered buying all those expensive baby toys, all they needed to do was give me a cardboard box!

34. hon glad says:

I love the shots in the photo set.

35. Subhangi says:

Too cute! I love it!

36. ///////

37. ok, now look through those photos and tell me we’re not related!!!

38. Kristabelle says:

LOVE this!!!! Too cute!

39. Shoot, I wish I could be a 3-month old gorilla. He looks like he’s having way more fun than I am right now (thanks to the amazing people taking uber-good care of him, of course…)

40. gfeeser says:

I want to smooch his snout; I want one! I want one!

41. earlybird1 says:

Holy cow, his nostrils are as big as his eyeballs!