The Mother of All Encores

This may not have been our first-ever Interspecies Snorgling post, but it’s definitely a CO Classic: Holy inter-species bonding!”
(Also, have you called your mother yet?  You know, she’s done a lot for you.) ;)

Here’s the deal. “Finnegan” the squirrel was found under a tree in Renton WA. Finnegan was brought to the home of Debby “Sure I’ll take care of him!” Cantlon for care. Meanwhile, Debby’s papillion pup “Mademoiselle Giselle” (I am not making this up) decides she can help out too, and brings Finnegan in with her new puppies. Finnegan proves to be one sweet squirrel, riding mosh pits of puppies and cuddling with his littermates.

WHEEEEE

Riding the puppy mosh pit

aw crap I dropped my damn keys... guys?

Cuddle Central™

me, and my pi-i-i-i-il-low...

“Dood. wot’s up?”

y'know Buster, I'm starting to think there's something funny about Finn...

Puppy: “ZZZZZ” Squirrel: “zzz”

muzzular triskelion

Thanks, Michelle Matthews.
(ADDENDUM: Huge apoloprops to Elisabeth who sent us this back in the ’05.)

Comments

1. Cuteness!

2. doxnsox says:

Awwwww.

3. Ooh, look at the 3rd pic. The squirrel’s tail is hugging the puppy.

4. This is too adorable! DO want!

5. Von Zeppelin says:

Great facial expressions in the first pic. Squirrel and foster momdog: “Yes? You think there’s something unusual about this?”

6. This actually made me tear up. So sweet!

7. Happy mothers day to Mothers of humans and Mothers of others.

8. berthaservant says:

I don’t remember this post! It’s brand new to me! And quite awesome. Happy Mom’s Day, moms!!!

9. What KIND of dogue is that mother?
    [She's of a fairly rare but popular breed: Arboreal Papillon ;) - Ed.]

To paraphrase the great Ralph Kiner, “To all you mothers out there, Happy Birthday!”

10. So cuteeeeee, the third pic is amazing

11. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I have heard from those who have rescued squirrels that they can be very affectionate and fit right in. They’ll try to blend in with whatever else is there, obviously, since how many other squirrels do you think you’ll find?

12. chanpon says:

3rd pic is great, but I also love the muzzle to muzzle in pic 5. Dawwwww……

13. Headtail says:

The third pic looks like it is out of a story book – so cute!

14. Interspecies snorgling is win.

15. darwinia says:

Truly, truly amazing. *sniffle*

16. darwinia says:

Is there anything more inspiring and delicious than interspecies snorgling babies and mothers? Well, besides wurrld peas? I think not.

17. I love Finnegan! I have pictures of him on my screen saver and when people come into my office they always melt when they seem him cuddling up with the little puppers. Sweetie little squirrel and puppies – what could be better!?

Happy Mother’s Day, everyone!

18. CaraLee says:

This was sent in 2005 so…what happened to the squirrel when the puppies grew up? Did they release the squirrel?

19. Peanutcat says:

I just melted . . . . .

20. Em (The Original) says:

awww soooo cute!! :)

and happy mom’s day to you moms (of people and/or furry ones)!

21. sorry, but this looks totally ‘shopped

22. Peekyweeky says:

“Mommy? Why does my bwoder have a big bushy tail?”

23. Teo, dooooood….I gets in trouble for saying…but that last pic, a holy trinities…I cudz go on and onzzz…our squirrelzzz, what artz in litter, halod be thy tailio. Thy acorn come …. you knoz the rest.

Btw, did ya ever try to make a Fin say ‘moose and squirrel?’ they cantz do it!!!! they can’t get the s k w e r sound out! I canz sympithitzzz tho… I ken hardly spellz it.

Me loooovezzz the pics!
    NH

24. Love the last image. They are so sweet together! Sure hope to see an update. Sure to melt many of us.

More pictures in the link provided: http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/finnegan.asp

Super cute cuddling pictures. XD

25. Quizkid says:

I met Debby and Mademoiselle Giselle in the Seattle Roosevelt Square Whole Foods last fall. (Mlle. Giselle was riding in the cart and was very well behaved.) I petted Giselle and Debby told me to look up the story of Finnegan the Squirrel on YouTube. It’s nice to see it on CO!

26. puddlepeppers says:

Aaww…So cute…Cutest hovertexts ever…especially about dropping the keys…
    but wait…the mama and the puppies and the squirrel…how cute is this?…
    my cuteness cup, it overflows…
    my husband planned to take me out for buffet dinner for Mothers’ Day…We only have a little money set aside until pay day…We discovered that our dog was running out of food (on a special diet)…I asked to change our plans to “supermarket buffet”…we picked up some great-and-fun food for us-including really big chocolate-dipped
    strawberries-and a nice box full of cans of dogster’s favorite food. Wonderful day!
    *O0<

27. DumBunny says:

My cat Muggsy is missing, and I haven’t seen him in hours, I wish I could find him.

28. Wow… the sleeping snuggling photos just slay me…. TOO CUTE!!

29. Mademoiselle Giselle is the best papillion-name EVER!

30. Awwwwwwwwwwww! That had me go Awwwwwwwwwwwww all the way through! :D

31. Oh, man, now I’m so mad! I have to wait THREE WHOLE HOURS before I can go home and snorgle with my puppies and all the little woodland animals! Ohhhhh I hate my job.

PS awwwwwwwww they’re so cute

32. Oh btw, HAPPY MOTHERS’ DAY EVERYBODY!!!!!! XOXOXOXO

33. hon glad says:

Well that squirell pool boy was so charming, it just sort of happened.

34. puddlepeppers says:

DumBunny,
    Aww, I hope Muggsy shows up…please let us know if things turn out okay…okay?
    If he’s still missing might want to call Animal Control–your local police non-emergency line should have the number for Animal Control in your area. Sometimes there’s a round-up of stray cats, and the food in the traps attracts
    pet cats, too.
    *O0<

35. puptox
    puptox
    puptox
    puptox
    puptox

36. Wa hey there little lady. I say, what do they call you ’round this town?

I yam kneaun acwoss zay land as Madaymwahzelle Jeezellah!

Aint that real purty now. What say you and me saddle up and go westward, ho?

SLAP!

(sorry. no idea. the name Mademoiselle Giselle made me do it)

37. This here is the epitome of cute!

38. That is sooooooo sweet that I actually felt it in my teeth (no, really, I did!).

All the more reason why I feel sad that we don’t have these adorable squirrels in my country. Maybe we should import them?

39. Actually, I’ve raised a few bebeh skwirls, and the recommended formula to obtain from the pet store for them IS puppeh formula. So, not only is this diabetes-inducing sweeeeet, but good for the bebeh skwerl!

I luvs me some skwerls, and puppehs, and kittehs… meh. I just luv critterz!!!

40. Awww, some people r so lucky!!

41. As a gardener and a birdfeeder, I hate squirrels. However, at this very moment, I am making an exception for this one.

42. KittyMarthaPoo says:

This is one of the cutest things I have ever seen in my life. Interspecies snorgeling is DA BOMB! ! ! I love how the wee squirrellie seems so content with his new foster siblings.

43. So would this be a prosh pit?

[Heh, works for me... - Ed.]

44. Yes, I believe this is one of the bestest posts evar! And a fitting tribute to motherhood everywhere. Awwwwwwwwww1

45. eternalcanadian says:

okay, i’m thisclose to imploding from the cuteness of it all!

46. aaawwweeeee i luv them ther soo cute :)

47. that is amazing