Bruno Applies Reverse Psychology

Ice cream?  No, I most certainly do not want any of that ice cream.  It has an appallingly uneven texture, and the so-called “black raspberry chips” are mere flecks of color, in stark contrast to the deceptively luscious portions on the label.

Frankly, madam, I would rather eat broccoli than consume the pretentious, overrated swill I see before me, and if you had even an ounce of taste or discernment left, you would dispose of the uneaten portion posthaste–preferably in the short wastepaper basket near my dog dish.

244923447_c355fdc699_b

Photo credit: Dunechaser

Comments

1. Good thing, chocolate isn’t good for doggies!

2. Raemie L says:

All right then, puppeh. You can have my week-old broccoli stirfry and I’ll take that delici–subpar ice cream.

3. Talk about a long face.

He must be even sadder to have so few comments.

4. bwahahahah! I busted out laughing….cause -Its-so-true!

5. Jenn in IL says:

I love the Doxie face when they put it down like that. They know exactly what they’re doing!

Too cute.

6. *** timewarp issue corrected ***

7. Argyle Donkeypants says:

Ruh roh. Princess Di want ice cream.

8. Haha!

9. thelibrarianne says:

Best caption EVAR. Our doxie Elvis does something similar. If it doesn’t work (and it usually does), he rams his wet, cold nose into our ankles until we do as he commands. Pure, evil, GENIUS.

10. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

that dachel look…

11. veggiegirl says:

my doggie actually would prefer broccoli!

12. Kristabelle says:

He has that, “Who, little ole me?” look on his face. What a cutie.

13. hon glad says:

I was just guarding it for you.

14. poker players know that face

(folds)

15. eeee! Doxie. Love.

16. Von Zeppelin says:

“What do you mean I’m not supposed be up on the furniture? How else am I supposed to sneer at your ice cream? I’m a DACHSHUND, for God’s sake! My legs are like three inches long. How would you like to look at the underside of tables and stuff all the time, when there might be something really good up there?” (Rolls eyes at the stupidity of humans)

17. Noelle (the First) says:

My dog employs this technique all the time with remarkable success. I am powerless before her head-down-eyes-up look. Sigh, she has me so well trained.

18. Birdcage says:

My girl doxie might try that head-down-eyes-up tactic but the boy doxie of my yesteryears, if he had gotten that close, would not have bothered to deploy the weapons of mass cuteness – he would have simply exerted possessory rights over the said ice cream and in the time it took me to say “where’s my camera…” he’d have the container in his mouf and he’d have taken off down the hall as fast as his wittle doxielegs would have taken him. He’d have wiggled in behind the sofa in the other room where you can’t easily reach him and he’d be lapping up the goodness……

19. Puppy Likey Haagen Dazs!

20. WHERE do I get black raspberry chip???!!! I can’t get it around here?!!! I must have eet!!

21. That is the, “Only one spoon?” look.

22. chanpon says:

I’m sure my cats would have it. One of them nibbled on my leftover blueberry pie last night.

23. Ladybug says:

OMG, it’s The Look! It must be hardwired in dachsies — I get the same thing from mine all the time. Or else the cold, wet nose starts jabbing me on the shin. It’s too moshe to resist!

24. Argyle Donkeypants says:

What we’re looking at here, people, is nothing short of a miraculous natural phenomenon: a perfect 1:1 ratio of schnozzle length to ice cream container height. Just as an eagle’s wings are just big enough to enable her to soar above the mountaintops, and a dolphin’s tail is perfectly proportioned to help him speed through the rich cerulean seascape, this hound’s nose is precisely long enough to get his tongue within snorfling range of the delicious ice-cream-filled papery crevasses at the very bottom of this container. It’s small enough to allow him ample breathing room, yet long enough to leave no fruity morsel untasted.

I ask you: In the face of this kind of natural mathematical perfection, is there anything Mother Nature hasn’t thought of?

25. Mary (the first) says:

Well, then, based on Argyle’s dissertation, it’s clear that the Ice Cream container has certainly evolved specifically to sustain the Doxie population and therefore any attempt to remove the container is affecting, perhaps fatally, the Doxie species. Please do not remove the ice cream container. We do not want Doxies to become extinct!

26. Von Zeppelin says:

Argyle and Mary (the first)–Nature is wonderful! Another evolutionary feature of the 1:1 schnozz-length-to-ice-cream-carton ratio is that it leaves the hound’s eyes just above the rim of the carton when the snout is fully inserted, in order to fix the baleful look mentioned above upon the ice-cream-providing human. This, in turn, triggers a symbiotic response in the human. Instead of smartly rebuking the dachs (“What the hell are you doing? Get your snout out of that ice cream!”), the sympathy-and-guilt-inducing stare instead causes the human to respond to the dog’s needs (“More ice cream, Bruno?”) This is an evolutionary necessity because dachshunds are way too short to reach the freezer.

27. Delphina says:

Life is hard when your nose is longer than your legs.

28. michelle b adams says:

give that baby some ice cream STAT!!!!!

29. Von Z – Dachsies also lack the necessary thumb digit needed to open said freezer. Hence the rise in interspecies snorgling; we have all witnessed the disconcerting rise of thumbs amid the feline population, and clearly the puppehs of the world have seen the potential benefits of a relationship with the former enemy.

30. Von Zeppelin says:

Lizzy–Cats have THUMBS? We better just surrender right now and become their slaves, before they brain us all with ball peen hammers in our sleep.

31. Von Zep, you said “ball peen hammers.” SNERK!!

32. KatieKat says:

Von Zep, I see you’ve met my cats? Perhaps on a dark street on your way home from a late-night tuna purchase?

33. skippymom says:

We had a dachsund named Schnapps when I was a kid. I don’t remember his position on ice cream, but he loved orange soda which we would frequently serve to him in his water bowl. He loved to sleep in his bed completely covered by his plaid blanket, and then he would get up and parade around the house wearing the blanket as a shawl trailing behind him.

34. Countess says:

Von Zep–
    Thumbs or no thumbs, we are ALREADY slaves to cats.

I wish I had a dachsund, I love the Princess Di look!

35. (places wire-rim specs on Doxie’s nose, ….for extra effect)

36. Such a saaaaaaaaaaaaaad but cute face!

Poor baby!LOL!

37. Sounds like Frasier Crane has been re-incarnated as a wiener dog.

38. “I just thought you might like it if I washed your spoon”.

39. chelonianmobile says:

I used to have pet rats which got hooked on mint choc chip ice cream. They lived next to the freezer and would scurry up to the bars whenever anyone opened it, so we figured we should use aversion therapy by giving them ice cream, assuming they’d hate it. That backfired a tad ^_^

40. berthaservant says:

I think the Doxie is merely inspecting the evidence of a crime clearly committed by a cat.

41. Mike Reilly says:

Thanks Meg, for making me pee my new shorts a little. Funny stuff!! :)

42. my poor doggie loved ice cream more than anything in the world but now he is lactose intolerant

43. Poor little baby would have a freezer full of Haagen Dasz if it were left to me !

44. pinkfluffyslippers says:

Incredibly cute doggie and I’m super happy to see proper photo credits and a link back to the original source :) it was the only non cute thing about this site and looks like it’s been fixed :)

45. Melissa H. says:

Perhaps he prefers Graeter’s to Haagen-Daaz?

46. Can I take him home and I’ll give him what flavour he wants?

47. Von Zeppelin says:

Meggy–Here’s a nice recipe for dairy-free doggy ice cream:

Hope your old boy enjoys it. I used to make a similar treat for my late and beloved Goldie, a lab-Great Pyrenees mix. May she rest well in the eternal habitations.

48. the term “LOL” gets bandied around a lot these days, but i can say for the record that i literally and heartily LOLed before even reading the hilarious text; the caption and pic were enough for me!

49. eikoleigh says:

very cute

50. I love his feets!

51. doxnsox says:

Yeah, I know that face reeeeeeeeeeeally well. My doxies would eat themselves to death if they had the chance.

52. Subhangi says:

Awwwwwwaitaminit.

Nice try, puppito. But I ain’t giving up my ice-cream!

*blows raspberry at puppeh*

53. Such a sad face – wants another favour!

54. ShonaSquee says:

I know a round tummy beagle who also sports that expression, usually in relation to pizza.

55. Von Zeppelin: thanks for the recipe! I just so happen to have all of those ingredients in the house, so we’ll try it out…I hope it works–ice cream in his kong toy would be a big deal!!!

56. How is it possible that nobody has said “Haagen Dachs” yet?

[That is a very good question. :lol: – Ed.]

57. Bia Simsic says:

He is a cutie pie but chocolate kills dogs:) Please don’t let him eat any chocolate.
    [Sure, if they’re allowed to eat POUNDS of it. This dog is not in danger. – Ed.]

Kiss his cute nose for me.

BS

58. Lerrinus says:

Thank you, Dale, I now have hot chocolate on my monitor! ;-D

59. brinnann says:

Lizzy, etc. – I hate to break it to you, but animals do NOT require thumbs to open the fridge. http://snuzzy.com/skunky-munchies/

60. brinnann says:

Am I the only one who had to Google “Brer Rabbit?”

61. @Brinn… My favorit part of that video you posted is his fat little tummy …hehehehehehe. and that door opening manuever needs it’s own name.. you know like a double Lutz Sowcaw…We could call it the double scratchrolloversquish!

62. Oh dear! Reverse psychology indeed!

He needs some Foothills Creamery ice cream me thinks.

63. earlybird1 says:

Hee! Our beagle gets this same face when she knows we’re talking about her behind her back!

64. @Brinn

Oh, wow! those are nice & clean flufffy skyunkies. Are those your pets? I guess they have been de-skunked, right?

They are so very clever, they are.

65. Such a looooooong saaaaaaaaaaad face!!
    “I want another favour!”

66. puddlepeppers says:

Wait!…the uneaten portion can be returned for a full refund…then let’s try another flavor…
    *O0<

67. puddlepeppers says:

The so-called “full refund” was achieved with a generic brand by a professional shopper in a closed store. Do not attempt.
    *O0<

68. “Haagen Dachs”

Wish i’d said that.

69. kibblenibble says:

Brinnann: Cyute skunkies! I loved the kronsching sounds as they nommed the veggies. I suspect they were intentionally left there for the skunkies to “steal,” hmmm? :-)

70. Kaka lindinhah says:

Lindissimo descobri esse site pela atrê!!!

71. Kaka lindinhah says:

lidissimo amo daschaund ou agora teckel!!!

72. Elizabeth says:

Because she would never forgive me if she went down in Cute Overload history as “Bruno,” I must clarify that this adorable little begger is Josephine, very much a girl. She doesn’t eat chocolate, ice cream or otherwise, although sometimes she does get to lick the spoon after I’m done with a pint. And she probably would be just as happy with a stalk of broccoli.

73. OMG I love this picture!! remind me of my baby when I say “no”. So cute!

74. brinnann says:

spb: No, they’re not mine. I saw them on snuzzy.com, and when I read Lizzy’s comment (#30) they immediately came to mind. I’m assuming they must’ve had their stinky bits removed. It looks like the YouTube account belongs to some people who raise or rescue them.

75. brinnann says:

kibblenibble: The first time I saw the video I was thinking, “Oh noes, they’re gonna be in big trubs for eating all that food!” But when I went back and watched it again, I realized that, “HELLO! If someone’s filming this then it’s happened before, and they must’ve left those veggies there just for the wee skunkies.”

76. brinnann says:

Elizabeth: Thanks for sharing your sweetie with us! However, she may begin demanding more than just a spoon-licking now that she’s become famous on the intertubes!

77. This could be MY dog… always going after the ice cream.