I Shall Call Him ‘Mini-Blorp’

Left: BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

right:                   blrp.

Pics taken by Heidi K., submitted by Matthew K.  Mmkay?

Comments

1. If I ran into these guys in the wild, it would be hard to resist my urge to snuggle them. But I would. And I would run away.

But still, CUTE~!

2. Laureling says:

A mini blorp! He’s so cute! Check out the neck chub, the stubbular legs and the perfectly round ‘tocks. Splodey

3. biscuithead says:

If you squeeze them, do they make a squeaky sound?
    Does the smaller one squeak at a higher pitch?

/blorp!

4. Mini blorp! @biscuithead Try it…I wanna know. Squea-blorp!

5. Lucy's mommeh says:

I dunno, for a supposedly mini blorp, there’s an awful lot of blorpitude goin’ on there….

6. skippymom says:

“What would you do if you saw a hippo coming down our street?”
    “I’d go like this, bang! I’d throw him over the railings and roll him down the hill and then I’d tickle him under the ear and he’d wag his tail.”
    “What would you do if you saw TWO hippos?”

7. biscuithead says:

@Bryn

It’s their blorpitude!
    They look like sqeaky pet toys to me.

/Giant squeaky pet toys, mind you.
    //Afraid to squeeze them.

8. marthava says:

Those ‘tocks start at mid-shoulder and continue to wend their way all the way around to their chests.

9. hon glad says:

Leather sofa and matching footstall available in brown black and tuscan red.

10. Paunchie says:

Kinda wanna run up behind the big one and smack her on the rear!

11. Katiedid says:

they look like shiny eggplants lol

12. Matchingks!

13. BeckyMonster says:

These guys look like wrinkly jelly beans with legs. And what flavor, pray tell, would Jelly Belly give them??

Blorp flavor, of course.

14. Wait, isn’t there a rule about a smaller version…

15. What do you get when a pot-belly pig is bred with a hippo???
    A Blorp!

16. They remind me of those stress balls/squeez’ums you find on desks at work.

Dying over the little chub rolls along the neck, and his little mini-hocks!

17. Somehow Blorp and Mini-Blorp remind me of a big and a little eggplant, wif heds and feets; BOOOOOOM!!! (I asploded from the cute!!!

18. Skippymom!

“Iron-flanked and bellowing he-hippos clanked and battered through the scudding snow toward us as we passed Mr. Daniel’s house.”

19. Walking snausages! SO cute!

20. I would like to see tutus on them. My mind has probably been ruined by Disney.

21. skippymom says:

Pookie! High-five! I knew it was only a matter of time before another Dylan Thomas fan showed up on the scene!

22. skippymom says:

Let’s write things in the snow. Let’s write “Mr. Daniel looks like a spaniel” all over his lawn.

23. berthaservant says:

note to self, google “dylan thomas + hippo.”

Skippymom, I love your marmie avatar, btw!

BLORP!

24. skippymom says:

Berthaservant, Skippy isn’t actually a marmie (sorry to disappoint). He’s “cream” or what I call “buff”. His color scheme is much like a Twinkie or a creamsicle. And yes, thank you, he’s breathtakingly beautiful. We’ve been together ten years (this is an old photo) and I still gaze upon his gorgeousness with awe.

25. they do look like eggplants with legs. moist eggplants with legs. and those diminutive hearing apparati – do they still wiggle like those of big hippopotami when they’re in the water?

26. Kristabelle says:

For once, NOMTOM has a succinct post. :-D

27. That is one of my favorite sequences in Fantasia, Theresa!

I want to pet the hippos.

28. @Theresa: Yesh, they definitely do need tutu’s and ASAP :lol:

29. the big hippo by itself would be just strange looking, but w/a mini, it becomes cute. is a rule of cuteness that something noncute becomes cute if shown w/a mini version?

30. Von Zeppelin says:

I particularly like the Sydney Greenstreet multiple chins on both maxi- and minihippo.

31. Von Z – Yes! and the mini has the place markers for neck wrinkles ’cause he/she has to look up at mom a lot, I suppose

32. Many years ago when I was in Africa I went to a safari camp right on a river filled with hippos. The loudest animals ever. None of got any sleep because the hippos kept serenading us all night long. Seriously. Loudest animals EVER.

33. living aubergines!!

34. victoreia says:

…and I will love him. And I will hug him……

[oh, sorry....wrong movie....]

35. Teh Blorph is strong in this one yes? Very strongh…!
    Come over to teh blorph side of life…

By teh way, they looks like two kidneys wiff feet, yes??
    Blorphh…scus me, had beans for lunch….KIDNEY beans..
    blo… *slaps own hand and takes it away from keys not alowin self to write” blorp” anymore…
    ooops…
    …bl… *SLAP!* Ouch…

36. Argyle Donkeypants says:

A Haiku re: Blorpitude

These hippos are so
    Hip, so — they sing calypso
    For many tips-o.

37. They look like they are made of bronze. That tiny one just slays me.

38. shivikai says:

Am I the only one who thinks these things look sooooo comfy? I just want to flop on them and stay on the squishy cushiness all day.

39. Mary (the first) says:

@Decca, thanks a lot, I was almost able to resist the “hippopotamus song” going through my head until you said “serenade”. And now I’m done for. “.. and sang her this sweet serenade.. MUD, MUD, gloooo-ooorious MUD.. ” etc. Dang.

40. ooooooooooooohhhh
    Hippos are one of my favorite animals evar!!!!!!
    SOOOO CYOOT

41. Heh.

Uber Blorpage.

42. dylanimore says:

Awww. He has an accordian neck. :3

43. dylanimore says:

Also-, @ babeh hippo- “May the blorp be with you.” *inhales through bright pink Darth Vader mask*

44. Nobody’s been biologically pedantic yet, so I’ll point out that these are PYGMY hippos ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmy_hippo ) and not the usual big ones ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippo ). Easiest way to tell, if you can’t tell the size, is that these have shorter faces.

45. “Let’s post Mr. Daniel a snowball through his letter box.”

Note: Yours truly did that as a child – proof yet again that poetry corrupts our youth.

46. copperbat says:

@Khadija: haha “living aubergines”! Perfect. I couldn’t decide if they looked like licorice jelly beans, or what. But it’s definitely aubergines!

47. are they pygmy hippos? if so, that lil one is truly teeny…..like small enough for me to scoop up and run away with.

48. Mr. Mini-McBlorpypants reminds me of this wee piggie wearing wellies. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1025428/Pig-Boots-The-worlds-porker-afraid-mud.html

I looked for the CO post, but 404’d it. Guess I’m a gnarly dudette. ;)

49. Even the mini-blorp’s neck has blorpitude.

50. superboymom says:

Besides hippopotamus . . . blorp is the best word ever.

*blorp*

51. “I said some words to the close and holy darkness, and then I slept.”

52. they are so adorable aww i just love them they look like wet cows i lov cows too i lov every thing

53. Aw…I didn’t baby hippos were so cute!

54. platedlizard says:

@leelee

Yes, those look like pygmy hippos (aka forest hippos). They’re much, much smaller then the other kind, and not nearly as aquatic or dangerous. IIRC adult pygmy hippos are about the size of a pig.

Mini-Blorp is probably the cutest thing I’ve seen all day.

55. Cankles!!!

56. Bebeh hippito blorpulence!

I shall call heem “Blorpito”.

57. absolute cuteness!!! :)

58. perfect name; I like Blorpito too. It’s a toss-up.

59. jubileeblot says:

Blorpilicious, Eggplants with legs, yummy! Rubbery goodness!

60. cobratoes says:

Very cute indeed. I must say tho, the mini-blorp kinda reminds me of a turd. Maybe I’m disturbed, but he does. But he’s cute all at the same time. (?) brain confused………….

61. skippymom says:

pookie, Jorden: “Would you like something to read?”

62. These guys made think of the house hippos commercial from years back, and then it was on today. I wanted a house hippo so badly.

63. BostonBunny says:

Thanks a lot guys – now I can’t stop saying mini-bloripitude!

64. OMG! These guys are from Edinburgh Zoo!
    The baby is all grown up now, but is still very cute.
    I took some photos of them a while ago…

65. brinnann says:

Thanks for sharing Lulu! I especially love the second one! :D

66. Wow, they’re the Edinburgh hippos? I visited them last year (and may go again this summer). Lovely critters, I think they recognized me as one of their own! Hope they weren’t too disappointed in the lack of belly rubs (a specialty of mine, ask any cat, dog or pig).
    *blorp*

67. I’ve never seen hippos so…ROUND. They seem harmless…as though they wouldn’t attack & kill humans. OH, WAIT, THEY DO. Phew, education saves me once again! I almost fell for it!