Squirrels Still Have Tongues!

Way back on March 13th of 2006, we made a startling discovery, and we did it together. I’m proud of us, you know.

___
It’s TRUE, people! This anerable squirrel has his tongue slurping out. It’s so nice of Patty the Wildlife Rescuer to hold the water faucet on for him, isn’t it?

squirrel using drinking fountain

Glugs go to Jenni H.

Comments

1. They have underpants, too:

2. guttersnipe says:

Doesn’t this merit a close-up?

3. I was going to say, where’s the close up? I can’t even see a tongue in that pic.

4. McFly? I Shall Leeck You is warranted here, IMO.

5. SO CUTE! I love squirrels and their tongues.

6. Hey, I want to hold a water faucet on for a cute squirrel! I never get to have any fun! *sigh*

7. Awe! That’s too cute!

8. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! Too cute. I have a feeling that the woman is glad she had her nails done before that photo op *snicker*. Gotta look good for the camera, daaaaaaaahlink!!!

9. turbofloof says:

COXCU, s’il vous plait…

10. Thanks, Lady. Now go get me a hotdog from that guy at the corner.

11. Oh no! The baseball fans among the Cute peeps will be distressed to hear that Mark “Bird” Fidrych has died at the age of only 53. The Massachusetts-born Detroit Tigers phenom from the ’70s, a really fondly-remembered player. How sad!

12. This makes me thirsty.

13. CoffeeCup says:

I’m squinting, CO, I’m squinting! Don’t make me squint! Give us that COXCU!

14. Virginia says:

WHERE is the tongue-hance??

15. ellie the one and only says:

SLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP
    he has such a cute wittle tounge

16. Yes. I concur. Needs tongue-hance.

17. WHARRGARBL

18. ehn! trying…to…see…microscopic…squirleytongue!!! must…have…coxcu…guh!

19. aww squirrel. but I concur! cutehance!!

20. Em (The Original) says:

sooo cute!

21. I can see the tongue! lol. Da cuuute!!! xD

22. Me too, COXCU!!! I can barely see that leetle tongue.

And that is sad about the Bird, thanks Theresa. He was entertaining, that’s for sure.

23. BabyOpossum says:

Daintily closed capsules!

24. berthaservant says:

slurpity glurpity
    glurpity slurpity

(it’s a bad day for dyin, folks…it’s the one-year anniversary of my stepdad’s death, and then today mr. fidrych, baseball announcer harry kalas…..weird, weird mojo)

25. He’s gorgeous. You Americans are lucky to have such cute critters running around in the daytime. Here in Aus we have brush tail possums, which are cuter than american possums but not anywhere as cute as this guy, and they only come out at night.

26. He is adorable, especially with his little eyes closed, but it doesn’t change the fact that squirrels are gangsters in a cute suit.
    My sister set up a chocolate Easter Egg hunt in the backyard yesterday, and by the time the children got out there, most of the eggs had been stripped of the foil wrappers and taken by the squirrels. They weren’t expecting that.
    Then, all day today they sat outside the door demanding more.
    Gangsters.

27. kibblenibble says:

Sweet finger-toes and earses, too. I had to put my eyeball right on the screen to see the tongue. Wouldn’t it be funny if Theo did this on purpose, and had some device to take our picture from “the other side” as we all peered, straining to see squirrel tongue? O_o

28. Cute little squirrels. I love his cute post on that picture. He has a cute little tongue. Could you try to have a zoom of his mouth shot so we can see it more clearly?

29. Eeeeeehhhhhnnnnnn!!!! COXCU is in order :)

30. omg, nessie1, your tale of gangster squirells was funny!!

31. duck au vin says:

Loving this squirrel!

32. More than nice! Saintly. Thanks, Patty.

33. Thanks Mam, my mouth was like the bottom of a Parrot’s cage.

34. The Shazinator (formerly Shaz the Original) says:

I shall echo the others and ask, “WHY IS THERE NO COXCU??!?”

[Because we never received a larger version, so, no option for zooming in. - Ed.]

35. Sue Elsa says:

We have a water bubbler at home like that where the water circulates all the time and the squirrels run down our fence (it is mounted on the fence) and drink from it all the time – it is very cute. The birds perch on the faucet and drink from it and hop into the bowl of the bubbler and take baths. I rehabilitate squirrels and we have oodles of them in our area – feed them at 11 feeders…

36. 260Oakley says:

@Theresa But of course they have underpants. Where else do you expect them to store their nuts?

37. Oh my GOSH! Adorable! I need a close-up!

38. Kristabelle says:

Cute! Don’t mess with Sqwerlios, though. They are persistent and nefarious!!!

39. Argyle Donkeypants says:

@260Oakley: LOLing fer sher.

Also notice the dainty paws of little miss skwerlio resting on the edge of the…what did someone call it? Bubbler? I love that so much more than “water fountain.”

40. Bubbler (or “Bubblah”) is definitely Red Sox Nation usage.

41. PS What’s wrong with “water fountain”? Although it calls to mind something more like this:

Than this:

42. Leslie Thomas says:

Two of “my favorite things” [from today's postings, ennywho...]

1: Theo’s hovertext reproduction of varying gurgle noises …
    2: The Squirrel as Gangster Theory.

I can support the allegations of Squirrels’ lengthy records of community havoc ….My mother unfortunately chooses to enable the little guyz…When we lived in Virginia (perhaps one of numerous Squirrel Heavens, located in the US of A…treez galore…) there was a nefarious induhviddal there, to whom she decided to attach the name Charlie …many nights at the dinner table, we rec’d briefings on his activities of that day ….

43. COXCU!!! COXCU!!! COXCU!!! COXCU!!! COXCU!!! (repeatedly banging fists on desk)

44. I lived in Japan for two years, and it took me a while to realize just what fuzzy critter was missing from the treetops: The common squirrel…

It’s strange how such a small critter can make such a big hole in your life! So to speak.

45. Mary (the first) says:

We have “bubblers” here too in the Pacific NW. This photo reminded me a little bit of the handsome fire fighter guy with the koala pic. awhile back. I hope things are healing there. Meanwhile.. I have skwerls in my back yard, that I used to feed but they were getting a little too brazen so I had to stop. One came over to the glass door one day and stared inside with “where’s the FOOD!?” look on his face.

46. I don’t see his bushy tail; I always have this mad impulse to pet his tail whenever I see a squirrel. The resident squirrel in the backyard is always competing with the bird population for the seeds in the feeder, and the only fear he has is of our Labrador, who happily co-exists with all the wildlife and only barks at possible human intruders.
    (BTW: you have never been properly chastised, until you are chattered at and roundly scolded by a squirrel….) :roll:

47. Ok, Theo… so the pic wasn’t large enough for a COXCU. How ’bout a COCU?

[Now that's just cuckoo. - Ed.]

48. apotheosis says:

Aiding and abetting a TREE RAT.

Shame on you. They are eeeeeeeeeeevil.

49. Sooo… I sensed that a COXCU was warranted. I see I am not the only one…

50. that is what i call rabies

51. famousgrilledcheese says:

I rarely comment on things, but the hover text made me laugh out loud and choke on my snack. Well done.

[So, did you make the same noises that are in the hovertext? - Ed.]

52. On Mount Royal in Montreal the squirrels will climb right up onto your shoulders to get peanuts you put there… right up your pants, your shirt. They’ll even sit there and eat the peanuts. Great animals.

53. thats awsome how did you get to do that?