Great Moments in Dog History

It is the highest military honor the nation of Dogsylvania can bestow–so rare, in fact, that only 17 in the nation’s history have received it. One such hero was Corporal Eucephalus “Winky” Gorbschobble, who, without hesitation or regard for his own survival, attacked and disabled an entire squadron of letter carriers from the enemy nation of Postmania, leading his captured comrades to safety.

And so, in accordance with Dogsylvania’s cherished military tradition, on a brisk autumn morning of September 17, 1946, and in the presence of an observer from the neighboring nation of Walkiestan, seven members of the 101st Bean Battalion paid tribute to Corporal Gorbschobble with a 21-poot salute.

Not to belittle your cherished military traditions or anything, guys, but you might want to re-think the staging here...

Erm, might want to get downwind a ways, Tanguera.

Comments

1. OMG, I am crying with laughter, or from the 21 poot salute! Either way it is all good!

2. Dogs have such high levels of honour in their cultures.

3. Fire in the hole!!

4. charliewabba says:

Winky looks so dignified, yet humble.

5. kittyadventures says:

HEHEHEHEH NOMTOM you Rock

6. Countess says:

Walkiestan!! I’m surprised they didn’t break ranks at the very mention of that august nation’s name. What a formation–what discipline, what training, what silliness! I wonder what’s in the treats they gave those dogs, hmmmmmm?
    Thank you NOMTOM, for another great story, you totally rock.

7. Von Zeppelin says:

It’s always very moving to see military honors conducted with such dignity. Her Majesty’s Brigade of Guards could learn a thing or two from 101st “Silent but Deadly” Bean Battalion.

8. OMG, you are the greatest writer of all time… I’m speechless

9. lillith2 says:

I’m dyin’ ovah heah! NTMTOM could singlehandedly be responsible for the name Eucephalus becoming popular.

10. Paunchie says:

now how the hell did they get those dogs to do that??!

11. What . . . IS . . . this?

12. what smart babies!!!

13. scooterpants says:

i think the picture is cute.
    but i cant imagine that these
    dogs are treated like anything
    more than a piece of property
    and disposed of ,as such, after
    they have served their purpose.
    not all ‘civilizations’ treat animals
    as well as we do here in the U.S.
    kinda sad really.

14. CoffeeCup says:

scooterpants, what are you talking about? Seriously, what in the world are you talking about?

15. Martha in Washington says:

Are the red marks on their faces their Rank Ensignia? Even their tails are in perfect formation. Hoo Rah CPL Winky!

PS -All the beautiful black labs remind me of my Jewel. I miss her terribly!

16. Camille says:

I do like the military explanation, but somehow it looks to me as though these dogs are practicing yoga. Though clearly they’re not doing the Downward Facing Dog pose. Possibly the Forward Facing, Tocks Up Dog.

17. I think this might just be my absolute favorite commentary, ever. 21-poot salute!

[You know, I actually think it IS a 21-poot salute. Three apiece is traditional. - Ed.]

18. Nice!

19. AuntieMame says:

Wahaha!

I’ve seen this photo recently, haven’t I? Maybe it was on ICHC. I think someone said it was a military ceremony where the dogs are performing a real salute of some kind.

(NOMTOM, I think I’m going to name my next LOTRO character “Eucephalus.” LOL!)

20. Mary (the first) says:

I’d like to second both Illism and CoffeeCup: “What IS this?” and “Scooterpants, what are you talking about?”

21. Mary (the first) says:

p.s. have I ever expressed my growing admiration for NTMTOM and his posts?

22. Trabb's Boy says:

This reminds me both of our beloved Royal Canadian Mounted Police’s Musical Ride and the Jib/Jab video about Santa’s elves (don’t think I can link to videos at work, but Google it!).

The doggies are adorable.

I am still singing the damned badger song.

23. Sunshine says:

Is there anything I can do to be able to see Cute Overload anymore? After you guys changed the site, I could not see anything but text, no picutres, no nothing!

24. bouviegal says:

“Gorbschobble”? The Bean battalion doing a Poot Salute?
    *Covers eyes, snickers*
    *Looks back down at work, sees the word “blast” *
    *Throws head back and laughs loudly*
    *Has to explain to passing coworker*
    *Gives up trying to work*

25. What an impressive canine military salute! The goggies’ precision is matchless!
    (Howsomevver splendid the display, it also kinda scares me: I have a yellow lab who is a ringer for Winky; he sleeps right next to my recliner most of the time; guess I better get prepared for an unexpected barrage!!!! ) :shock:

26. I shall be thinking only good things about whatever the heck is going on here.

27. Seriously, a few years ago, I saw a pic of an occasion in Sri Lanka, honoring their service dogs, and the lovely doggies had red marks on their heads and flower wreaths around their necks. Looked a lot like this bunch, except there was no mention of precision whoopsing.

28. Correction, that was Nepal, and some pictures of the garlanded doggies are here:

It’s part of their Tihar (Diwali) celebration.

29. Plaid-shirt Pyrate says:

I just wanna shrink myself down to atom size and take a tour of NTMTOM’s mind. I have no idea what I’ll find, but it’s certainly going to be entertaining.

“And over here, we’ve got entire file shelves devoted to Monty Python/film noir mashups…. Ooooh, look over there: that’s Flo from the Progressive commercial; yes, she got her start here in NTMTOM’s mind before making it big in loopy insurance commercials….”

30. DaytimeDeb says:

@Camille, my thoughts exactly. In fact, when I saw the photo I was ashamed that the dogs yoga better than I. They can probably get up off the floor faster, too!

31. I LOVE this. I really want to know the story behind it. They all look so dignified…

32. Molly, as I speculated above, it looks like it’s from Kukur Tihar, the second day of the Tihar (Diwali) fesitival in Nepal, a day dedicated to honoring dogs.

33. Raine-from-Nepal says:

That would be “Kukur Tihar” (Festival of dogs) which is celebrated annually in our country, Nepal. On this particular day, we honor and worship dogs…we put “red tika” (vermilion) on their forehead and a garland (made out of Marigold) around their neck and then feed them sweets.

34. I see a shepherd butt!!!

35. Basselope says:

@Scooterpants

Your ignorance is overwhelming. Instead of your preconceived notions, how about you actually learn about another culture before judging it.

36. doggies feel differently about that end of their bodies than humans do

37. The word “poot” is sadly underutilized. Nice to see it in print here today. :)

38. Raine-from-Nepal & Theresa, thanks for the info!

39. merlinsmuse says:

What glorious goggies! We should honor them also… maybe without the yoga pose.
    I have a kitteh that beclouds me with the silent-but-deadly routine regularly. I never before realized it was to honor me! Now I know how special she thinks I am…
    (Been trying to work “poot” into this post cuz it’s so funny, but can’t do it. So poot, poot, poot, poot, poot!)

40. Seriously now- what is happening here and where is it happening? I demand answers.

41. Gail (the first one) says:

@merlinsmuse: “beclouds me”….LOL! Very elegantly poot, er, I mean put.

42. This has to be one of your best NTMTOM – also those are some very well trained dogs

43. Annie J. says:

To reiterate for confused folks:

What is happening: This is a shot from a Nepalese festival that honors dogs. Raine-from-Nepal and Theresa explained this in more detail. :) You’ll notice that the pooches are garlanded and have vermilion on their heads :P

Where is it: Nepal! :)

I must say, this is quite a photo! :)

44. capt' tightpants says:

teeheehee heehee….

he said ‘poot’

bwah haha!!!!

45. Daphne Moss says:

*Tears down the face*

Mike, Not the Other Mike,
    You really have a career in comedy, if you so choose. Thanks for a great photo and welcome belly laugh!

46. 金毛巡回猎犬?它是很聪明的狗狗~我和我男朋友结婚后就准备养一只。
    还有一只小兔子,一只乌龟。哈哈!~

47. earlybird1 says:

That is HILARIOUS! Some of the best writing yet on CO, I declare! (wipes tears from eyes) My sides are aching from laughter! Not to mention, the picture would have been hilarious enough on its own… CO just made my day today!!

48. NTMTOM, I think that what is actually going on in this photo is that the doggies are bowing down in front of your Genius, worshipping the ground you write on…

49. vonzeppelin says:

At my house, EVERY day is Kukur Tihar. Or so my dogs tell me.

50. If these dogs are from Nepal, then can someone explain why one followed me into a bookshop in Vienna, Austria? It just calmly walked in and sat staring at the books as though it could read the spines. This golden retriever with a red mark on its head and flowers on its collar. It confused me at the time and now it’s popping up all over the internet.

51. kibblenibble says:

Poot is such a cute word! Tee hee. :-)

52. meoowmom =^..^= says:

poot,poot, poot, Hooray!
    oh my learned my lesson never take a drink before seeing picture
    soda fizzing up my nose!
    love those lil butts up in the air, my doggie does this each morning
    his morning yoga!

scooterpants; RELAX, take a deep breath and no more caffeine for you missy!!!

53. berthaservant says:

We definitely need a holiday in this country (America) where we get our animals to do weird poses and take pictures of them and make fart jokes.

(Seriously, it would be nice if we revered our beloved pets just a little more in a ritualistic fashion…you know, instead of buying them diamond-encrusted collars, we should be indulging them SPIRITUALLY).

Go Nepal!

54. hon glad says:

I think this is a puja poot. Another breeliant post from Nom Tom.

55. Veronica says:

Quote from the website mentioned in comment # 29: “Ironically, for the rest of the year dogs are not generally well treated and many are left to fend for themselves and feed on scraps.” Although I am glad that the dogs are honored, they should treat them as such every day, not only on one day of the year.

56. Military precision deployment of privacy tail. Otherwise ol’ Winky would really be getting the brown eye wink. As my dad would have noted. Dads note that kind of stuff.

57. A festival honoring dogs? That is so neat. And what an awesome picture! I wonder how hard it was to get the dogs all lined up like that.

58. alwayscataddict says:

Pyrate: I bet NTMTOM could earn a lot of money on the side giving tours! I certainly would pay for one!

59. Raine-from-Nepal says:

@ Scooterpants (#13): Please don’t make silly assumptions and pass disrespectful comments about other cultures. Also, the comment about how other “civilizations” don’t treat animal as well as they do in U.S., you’ve probably never traveled outside the U.S., have you?

60. Once I saw the name “Eucephalus ‘Winky’ Gorbschobble,” I didn;t even have to look at the byline to know it was our dear NOMTOM.

61. Hoorah for Nepal’s Festival of Dogs!! I can’t believe the US doesn’t yet have a national holiday to honor our beloved animals. That would be so awesome.

62. @Scooterpants

Seriously – way to apostrophe ‘civilizations’ as if only yours was worth the name – really, the only thing more ridiculous than your presumption of superiority is someone taking the time to train dogs to do something as pointless as this – long live the army!

63. Sarequarles says:

@Scooterpants

You seriously think that there aren’t those in the US who don’t treat animals as a piece of property to be freely disposed of? I highly recommend you visit a local shelter and see all the dogs and cats there. The dogs, whose only crime was barking too much, or getting in the garbage. The cats who scratched. It’s easier to dump your pet and get a new one than train your first pet.
    Before you get all high and mighty about how other cultures treat pets, look at our own.

64. Gail (the first one) says:

Okay, peeps. Let’s lay off Scooterpants, whose been around here a long time. I don’t know what she had in her mind when she posted, but chances are if she clarified her thinking, we’d understand. Just benefit of the doubt.

65. Guys.
    Shut up.
    You want to argue & shout at somebody, go call in to some local AM talk radio show. You look completely ridiculous doing it here.

66. @ sunshine: Is your browser using the URL http://cuteoverload.com/? I had mine set as the mfrostsomethingsomething, and then I couldn’t see a any pictures either. Just a thought…

Also: love the captions! :D

67. Noelle (the First) says:

I think we need Cpl. Winky and the 101st Bean Battalion in Somalia, they would show those pirates a thing or two!

How great to have a whole Festival just for dogs! Kudos to Nepal.

Wasn’t it Ghandi who, when asked what he thought of Western Civilization, replied, “I think it would be a good idea.” {I think it was Ghandi…I’ll check and get back to you if I’m wrong}

68. If NTMTOM wrote a book, I would totally read it… his stuff is better than 95% of the stuff you find on the shelves of the humor section at Barnes & Noble.

69. well, a quote from the link raine-from-nepal posted
    “Even Kathmandu’s many street dogs get garlanded. Ironically, for the rest of the year dogs are not generally well treated and many are left to fend for themselves and feed on scraps.”
    so…whatever.

70. An explanation I read for this picture on another site said that these are military service dogs. What they are doing here is indeed a salute. The standing dog is saluting the flag. The bowing ones are saluting the service dogs that are working all over the world.

According to that post, the red marks are probably to tel the handlers know what stage the dogs are in their training, and this particular ceremony celebrates an accomplishment of some kind for this “class” of trainees

71. Ok, what the heck is ACTUALLY going on here?!

72. Julia (the one in BC) says:

In the hope that this does have to do with Nepal’s festival of dogs (because now I want to begin celebrating it!), here’s a link with more info:

Tihar, the festival of lights is one of the most dazzling of all Hindu festivals. In this festival we worship Goddess Laxmi, the Goddess of wealth. During the festival all the houses in the city and villages are decorated with lit oil lamps. Thus during the night the entire village or city looks like a sparkling diamond. This festival is celebrated in five days starting from the thirteenth day of the waning moon in October. We also refer to tihar as ‘Panchak Yama’ which literally means ‘the five days of the underworld lord’. We also worship ‘yamaraj’ in different forms in these five days. In other words this festival is meant for life and prosperity.

The second day is called ‘Kukur tihar’, dogs day. A dog plays many roles in our society. We have dogs in our houses as guardian of the house. As the legend also says that there is a dog at yama’s gate guarding the gate to the underworld. The dog is also the steed of the fearful Bhairab, the god of destruction. So on this day a big red tika is put on a dog’s forehead and a beautiful garland around the neck. After worshipping the dog, it is given very delicious meal. This day the saying ‘every dog has his day’ comes true; for even a stray dog is looked upon with respect. We pray to the dog to guard our house as he guards the gate of the underworld and to divert destruction away from our homes. On this day you can see dogs running around with garlands on their neck.

73. Julia (the one in BC) says:

Whoa, sorry about that, folks … forgot to include the tag :-(

[Fixed! - Ed.]

74. Julia (the one in BC) says:

Closing tag, I mean.

Dagnabbit.

75. ellie007 says:

WHUUUUUUUUUT?! Oh my I love it

76. I think this is the funniest thing I have EVER seen on the internet. Brilliant.

77. scooterpants says:

i think my post was very misunderstood.
    so i am thinking that i am too old to
    be posting to this blog. as much as
    i have enjoyed it, and all of you.
    i think i will say goodbye for now
    and that i am so very sorry if my words have offended
    any of you all.
    and i will just look at the pretty pictures from now
    on.
    thanks for the fun times!

78. Hey “Martha in Washington” …. WHICH Washington are you in? The DC one or the Pacific Northwest one?

If it’s the latter … contact me sometime @ karican@yahoo.com

79. just passing through says:

To those who have been quoting “Even Kathmandu’s many street dogs get garlanded. Ironically, for the rest of the year dogs are not generally well treated and many are left to fend for themselves and feed on scraps” – Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world. The majority of the people in the damn country are not well treated and left to fend for themselves and feed on scraps, let alone dogs.

Don’t rush to judgment y’all. Maybe the people in the country can’t afford the luxury of attending to their pets just because they can’t even afford to attending to their own comforts. Maybe the people there are too busy tending to their basic necessities. And maybe brushing the teeth of one’s dog or grooming it or taking it for pedicure is the least bit of concern when you can’t do all that for your own kid.

Just saying. Enjoy the pics.
    Just saying.

80. The picture brought an “awww” to me. But sadly they don’t seem to be as happy as pet dogs. They seemed to be on a duty or something. :(

Some look like they are so tired they can sleep in the “i-want-to-play” position.

81. Raydiofree says: