I’m Telling You, We Made That Picture!

"What, you think it’s easy to look menacing while you’re dangling from piano wire with some 300-pound Teamster at the other end?  Try it sometime, pal!"

"But do people remember?  No, it’s Dorothy this, and Scarecrow that, and those lousy, stinking Munchkins…"

"Oh, don’t get me started on the Munchkins.  Every frickin’ day, running around the commissary singin’ ‘Ding-dong, the witch is dead,’ only they ain’t usin’ the word ‘witch,’ if you get my drift…"

"… wild parties every night in their trailer, and the next morning?  Passed out drunk on the set."

"No sense of professionalism, none whatsoever.  Not like us."

Hey, you got any Lucky Strikes?  Stinkin' orderlies won't let us smoke here.

If they only had a clue, Tanguera.

Advertisements

Comments

1. Fly, my pretties, Fly!

2. Hon Glad says:

Well boys, you certainly scared me when I was an nipper.

3. Tractatus Blorpico-Philosophicus says:

Deeply impressive sewing skills by the owner! [bows respectfully]

4. Boston Terriers? In flying monkey outfits? I need insulin, pronto, for i am about to swoon from the sweetness…*thud*

5. the look on the right side pup is priceless! (showing some teeth… like smiling to the camera)

6. Marianne says:

that’s just wrong… 😉

7. OH MY GOD. This is stunningly brilliant. The ears. The tails. The delicate stitching. It’s too much to take. Yet I can’t look away!

8. The ears…THE EARS!!??!!1

9. starling says:

Hahahahaha!

Whoops, NomTom’s killed me again.

10. So conflicted. On one hand–CUTE!!! the ears and the wings and the fez hats. On the other hand–30 years after the first time I saw the film, I am STILL creeped out by the flying monkeys.

Focus! Focus on the cute, Red!!

11. Prolly a grip, rather than a teamster. 😉 Oy, that’s talent for ya!

Best doggie costumes EVAH.

12. The epitome of AWESOME!

13. claudia says:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

14. I must confess, at first glance I actually thought that they were monkeys dressed in fezs and wings. Bravo, costume maker, bravo!

15. GingerBean says:

I love Boston Terriers! The sad look on the face of the one on the right…awwwww. He’s scaiwed of fwying. 😛
    Po’ bebeh.

16. Matchingks!!
    I love the ears!

17. Theresa says:

Da-dum da-dum da-daaaa-daaaa!
    Da-dum da-dum da-daaaa-daaaa!

I wonder if I sent this to me brother he would get as frickin’ hysterical as he did when he was a little kid?

He’s 44, I just don’t know.

18. chanpon says:

“*cackle* I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dogs too. Oh…we are the dogs.”

19. scooterpants says:

OMG. those costumes are FABULOUS!
    (but i am TERRIFIED of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of OZ, so I cannot look directly into their eyes)

20. skippymom says:

Whoa. I was never particularly scared by the monkeys when I watched the movie, but this kinda creeps me out. The one on the right, showing the teeth, looks like he’s really into the whole costume thing. The little one on the left looks like “must…maintain…dignity…despite…humiliation”. Where in the world did somebody get the idea to do this?

21. biscuithead says:

There, the spell has been broken — I’m NO longer scared of the flying monkeys, really.
    Next time I see the movie, I’ll remember these little fellas!
    And all will be well.

22. thees ees enuff to geeve me de nightmeres …

23. brinnann says:

So. Friggin’. Cute.

So tell me peeps: Why is it okay to dress puppehs, but kittehs in a like situation are nuffed upon?

24. cheryl Levenbrown says:

that is some seriously awesome costuming there. genius! and those bostons couldn’t be more perfect terrifying winged models. too, too funny (and that goes for you, too, NTMTOM).

25. okeee! now i NEED a pug and a monkey outfit, hmmmmm, where do they have one stop shopping for that?

26. oh sorry a bostie terrier

27. Crystal says:

Best costume…ever!

28. lawyergirl77 says:

Awesome post NTMTOM!!! Fine work as always… but why did ya have to mention Lucky Strikes?? Some of us are tryin’ to quit over here!!! *twitching*

Maybe if I let myself get hypnotized by their cute widdle ears… Hmmm…

29. Michelle S. says:

Oh. Mah. Gawl.

That’s the cutest overload yet. Those little ears! *smooch*

I’ll get you, my pretties!

30. Mud Bug says:

WHAT !? Those AREN’T the real flying monkeys ????
    That’s it! I’m taking my ruby slippers & going home.
    Harumph !!!

31. zeldapie says:

I’d snorgle you two, but I’m still recovering from my childhood fears of those scenes! Flying monkeys and twisters… AAAAGH!

32. Hysterical. The first time I saw the Wizard of Oz on TV I was about three and it terrified me. I didn’t even make it to the flying monkeys part! But if they had looked like these little guys I’d never have been skeered at all.

Dude, and the munchkins? You could tewtally tell they were all hung over and stuff…

33. oooooh, bostons 🙂 could they be any cuter?!

34. OMG! I MUST HAVE ONE! And by one, I mean a Boston Terrier in a Flying Monkey coustume.

35. catloveschanel says:

I get no Respect, I tell ya!

36. AuntieMame says:

Well, I think it’s fine to dress either species, brinnan, but I wonder if it’s because dogs are dopes and they *like* being dressed up, whereas with a kitteh, it’s usually more of an ordeal (for the dresser and the dressee).

And I’m with Lilith. I was already so terrified by the creepy feet curling up and dying under the house, and the shrieking green witch (I’ll get you my pretty!) that by the time the monkeys got there, my fear nerve was already overloaded.

37. I always wondered what happened to these guys. I’ve seen periodic interviews with the Munchkins but you never get to see the monkeys. I remember you little dudes!

I don’t remember being scared by the monkeys as a kid, but I do remember wanting my own flock when I was a teenager. I have a t-shirt that says “Don’t make me get the flying monkeys!” I always get the neatest reactions when I wwear that one. I wish I could ad this picture to it, that would totally make the design!

38. Von Zeppelin says:

The auxiliary ears and tails provide longitudinal stability and improved navigation/communication while the Bosto-monkeys are in flight. Really very advanced technology for 1930s aviation.

39. SnuggieNuggie says:

Aweee. Love the pic of Mickey and Seamus they are so cute in this pic!!

40. Idea. Why not post the picture with a cute description and leave off the other nonsense?

41. scooterpants says:

Mickey and Seamus !!!
    Shut Up! those are NOT their real names!
    GAH!

WHAT NONSENSE? I see no nonsense.

42. Donna – are you new here?

43. Gail (the first one) says:

Brilliant post, NTMTOM!!!!!!!! I thought they were Shriners until I read the post!!!

I don’t recall being scared of the flying miunkees (said in a Clouseau accent). Probably have some deep, undiscovered phobias as a result!!!

44. @Gail (the first one)–I’m still roaring over your shriner comment. Brilliant!

45. Apparently some of those munchkin stories were, uh, scary.

I love those outfits!!!

46. Theresa says:

@donna, because we’re aliens and that’s how we roll.

47. Okay Digs toe into the dirt I was not afraid of the monkies but I always cried every time Dorthy was locked in the tower with the hour glass thing.. even though I knew she was going to get to go home to Auntie EM… Even now when I get to that scene I have to
    tell muself it is just a movie… just a movie.. (Blushes)

48. Theresa says:

RE: Shriners
    When I passed my oral exams(insert smart remarks here), my friends and I repaired to a nearby famous hotel to have a drink in their famous bar. We walked into the lobby, and it was FULL of the tiny scooters and cars. Oooh, a parade? For ME? Surreal.

49. I forgot to add My little brother was terrified of the flying monkies. hmmmm I need to forward this to him. I am working on converting him to a cuteologist.

50. AuntieMame says:

Donna, that’s kinda like going to the pizza parlor and saying “why not put the sauce on the crust and leave off the cheese and pepperoni.”

51. Big sister Annie.

That and reminding him of his terror, no? Delicious, right?

52. Oh can we rent them by the hour? I need to send some flying terriers to attack the billing department at my mother’s nursing home.

Oh please, I’ll pay in steaks!

53. Yikes.

54. Maribeth says:

The one on the right with his toofers showing looks so monkey-like. Dog on the left just looks deeply, deeply worried and ashamed.
    Those costumes rock!

55. starling says:

Perhaps, Brinnan, it’s because *shifty look* *lowers voice* puppehs don’t have any dignity to lose.

Mind you, come to think of it, neither does my cat.

56. Johnie Canuck that is what big sisters are for.. LOL

57. superboymom says:

@Gail (the first one): Shriners! *snerk*

And . . . because I always watched this movie on our black and white TV (every Thanksgiving), I was in college before I realized the Land of Oz was in color . . . I mean, the horse of a different color, really is! (profound moment, indeed)

58. truly, the most awesome photo EVAR!

59. I, too, was terrified of the flying monkeys. And Oompa Loompas. Seriously, those things can still make me run from the room.

60. scooterpants says:

Theresa-
    tiny ‘Scooters’??? were they wearing ‘PANTS’ ???
    bwah ha ha ha!

are you saying there were ‘little people’ at the famous hotel/famous bar? or that you were halucinating?

61. Seriously, those ears totally make the look.

62. Theresa says:

@Scooterpants, the scooters (without pants) and cars were tiny– the Shriners were normal-sized. That is how the Shriners roll.

63. Paunchie says:

hahaha! I missed the tails at first.

64. Paunchie says:

@theresa I swear the dead kennedies used that pic on one of their albums. that’s how they roll.

65. Oh my gawd I love them! I love these dogs!! And their little monkey suits too!

66. Actually, scooterpants, their names ARE Mickey and Seamus, and they are my dogs. Glad you all like the picture. And yes, the ears did make the look, I have to say.

67. santipryia says:

i hope these guys are in the case of “Wicked” when i go to see it again in September.

68. Get OUT! *shoves like Elaine on Seinfeld*

69. Let the record state that I adore Mickey and Seamus. Their mother Coll (with the insane sewing skills and artistic vision) isn’t half bad either.

70. Love this photo of Mickey and Seamus aka Seamoo!!

71. dawgpup says:

eee-hehehe-hee!

72. Hmmmm.

I’m still thinking. Lol!

73. It’s true – it’s Mickey and Seamoo and the amazing talents of their Mom. I like to see worship given where due.

74. @Paunchie, you’re right!!! OMG

75. This is still my all-time favorite doggie costume shot. ‘Course Mickey & Seamoo ain’t half bad either. Props to ya, Coll!

76. scooterpants says:

Coll- YOU have to be the best puppeh-mama ever.
    More please.

Theresa-
    OMG, its been a LONG time since I’ve been to a parade,
    I had forgotten (or blocked out) the Shriners in the lil cars. Now I have that pic in my head….thank you 🙂

77. Plaid-Shirt Pyrate says:

What *was* it about the flying monkeys? I was terrified by them too.

‘Course, I never turned the TV off, just hid behind my mom and watched over her shoulder, through my fingers.

And even though I have the Wizard of Oz on DVD, I still make popcorn and pour soda and sit on the couch with my kitties to watch the annual showing on the network channel….

78. Gail (the first one) says:

@Theresa: LOL’ing @ your post-orals celebration!!! I never really connect Shriners with the little cars….my grandfather used to take us to the Shrine Circus at Medinah Temple in Chicago. I’m not sure if *he* was one, but somehow I have this vague memory of trying on the hat!!

79. Yes, it is true…those Bostons are named Mickey and Seamus. 🙂 Their mom is very talented in making these costumes. 🙂

Glad to see them here on Overload! 🙂

80. duck au vin says:

Precious costumes…I am
    dying of talent-envy. Look
    like working guys, maybe
    bell hops at Hotel California…

81. So cute…monkey Bostons…heart can’t take it…

82. duck au vin says:

Theresa–about “insert smart remarks here” for passing your oral exams…
    1.Congratulations!
    2.My transcript will always show that I got an
    A in Romantic Movement.

83. dogface says:

Dude, this was totally on Little Beasts!

84. OMG That is the costume I want for our dog Cid! He’s a Frenchie/Boston and the first day we had him, I told DH that he looked like one of the Wicked Witch’s monkey!

85. Ah, I figured one was named Chistery.

Too cute!

86. Katrina says:

“Boss” sewing skills- but I worry about the reason for making them in the first place. Did she create the entire cast of Wizard of Oz?

Seriously Cute.

87. One of my very favorite pics of Mickey and Seamus. Coll is the best seamstress ever. They are very lucky boys indeed to have her for a mom.

88. EXCELLENT costumes! Very cute doggies! I love the Wizard of Oz!

As an aside, when I was a teenager, I told my mother that I was going to sing Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead at her funeral. She did not think it was as hilariously funny as I did…

89. So cute!!!!! The one on the left has pleading eyes… please make it stop! Tee hee! 🙂

90. berthaservant says:

For the record, despite years of anecdotes (and the really bad movie “Under the Rainbow” with Chevy Chase and Carrie Fisher), most of the little people who performed as “Munchkins” were well-behaved and professional.

And I don’t believe the Teamsters would have been handling the flying monkeys’ aerial apparatus. I’m guessing that was probably the stunt crew and special effects unit.

Aside from these perfectly reasonable historical exaggerations, this is an awesome post.

91. ridiculous cute. ❤ bostons.

92. Kassandra says:

How do I get said Monkey Suit?! LOVE IT!

93. Elisha B. says:

This is just not right people, just not right!!:)

94. hahahahahahahaha! wow hilarious!

95. Brittany says:

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaaaaaa

this is the best idea ever!

I have a Boston. I love them. I love these guys…they just made my day!