Hugging it out

This sloth is taking it a little too far with the extra Clavicle Cling™:

Sender-Inner Emily B. writes "My boyfriend and I stopped by the Aviarios Sloth Rescue Center in Chauita, Costa Rica and were given an amazing tour of this wonderful sanctuary. The center rehabilitates injured, ill, and orphaned sloths and returns them to the forest but others end up living there full time… The center runs on donations and volunteers so if you want to maybe include the web site www.slothrescue.org the readers might be compelled to donate to this wonderful place."

Slothup

Let’s turn this baby 180:

Sloth_up2

Comments

1. The Sloth
    Theodore Roethke

In moving-slow he has no Peer.
    You ask him something in his Ear,
    He thinks about it for a Year;

And, then, before he says a Word
    There, upside down (unlike a Bird),
    He will assume that you have Heard–

A most Ex-as-per-at-ing Lug.
    But should you call his manner Smug,
    He’ll sigh and give his Branch a Hug;

Then off again to Sleep he goes,
    Still swaying gently by his Toes,
    And you just know he knows he knows.

2. *kisses* his sweet little face.

3. Sloths ‘n’ racks! (Sort of.) Love the way he’s craning his cute little head backwards.

4. NotAnotherMIlo says:

i love the poem Kristie.
    i need sloth hugs… but i currently getting kitty cuddles, so all is well.

5. kibblenibble says:

Thanks, Kristie! I never heard that one! As for the bebeh sloth, I never saw one such a deeleeshus color! Want!

6. kibblenibble says:

Ooh, I just noticed how his leetle back legs are clinging to her waist! Cute!

7. berthaservant says:

Awwww. And I heart Roethke, thanks Kristie!

Of all the seven deadly sins, sloth is definitely the cutest.

8. SLOTHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Absolute Favorite!

9. Definitely sloths n racks. :)

10. Folks, DO NOT MISS the sloth rescue website. Among other things, you can read about the “Slothpital,” for sick and injured sloths; the “Adopt-a-Sloth” program, where you will receive pictures and stories about your sponsored sloth (it doesn’t say how much. If it’s a lot, I think CO should run a fund-raising drive so we can communally adopt a sloth); and the in-sanctuary hotel where you can “Sleep with the Sloths” (sadly–but hygienically–it doesn’t look like you actually get a sloth in the room with you, but a Breakfast With the Sloths and a tour of the sanctuary are included).

I swear I am not making any of this up. Do eet!

11. @BServ: Hilarious! Nice one.

12. Under no circumstances should anybody not used to extreme qte, go to the gallery pages on the sanctuary site, is is powerful qte.

13. He looks like one of those animal backpacks for kids, ‘cept he’s in front!

14. Awwww the sloth is smiling
    Its feets are turned out wide,
    Every time it looks at that
    White shirt, it pokes inside.

15. A caramel-colored sloth!!! Too adorable!

16. P.S. Cute Overload, I have to thank you: I used to think sloths were kind of creepy til I saw the photos and videos here. I have seen the error of my ways and the cuteness of the animals, and my world is a nicer place. *sniff*

17. Annie J. says:

Haha sloths are so cute! This one is way cute too :)

Love the poem haha :P

18. the bug man says:

Squee! Last Christmas, as a present for my mother (a slothophile) I adopted a sloth named Coco Bean through this organization. Coco Bean was a wicked cute lil’ sloth.

@A: You can officially adopt a sloth for $100. Which isn’t bad for a sloth, really. I recommend it.

P.S. That posture is how baby sloths in the wild typically cling to their mommies. Aw…

19. totalee puppy says:

I heart “slothpital”.

20. That has to be the most immaculate squeaky clean sloth I’ve ever seen! I thought they were always crusty with algae and lichens and funk. This is one sloth I’d actually snorgle!

21. acornmirm says:

soooo cute!! just in case anyone else wants to go there, it’s Cahuita, not Chauita! i haven’t been to the rescue center, but their national park is def worth the visit!

22. omg, I love sloths! The weetiny ones have such cute expressions on their faces. I just wanna squish ‘em and snuggle ‘em.

23. i loooooove baby sloths. They are some of the cutest creatures ever.

24. Meoowmom =^..^= says:

he is adorables and so
    cuddley
    love that wittle face

kisses~n~hugs

25. kibblenibble says:

Sloths move sooooooooo slooooowww! I had a close encounter with a babeh one at an animal park. He was hanging upside down gazing into my eyes and began reaching his claw toward me…………and I swear it was like twenty minutes of this slow motion reach, gazing into my eyes the whole time. I was hypnotized!

26. Dexter Fishmore says:

The rescue website photo gallery is UNSTOPPABLE.

27. Oh, I love! I want to volunteer to help them. Does anyone know if this sloth sanctuary is a good place to volunteer?

28. Thanks for the link to the website. I’ll write up a public service announcement at the radio station where I DJ (and am the Public Affairs Director). If any of you have animal-related causes you’d like to promote either world-wide or in the SF Bay Area, drop me a line at psa@kzsu.stanford.edu and we’ll get your pet causes into our rotation.

Cute Overload helping to save the world!

29. Poohbear says:

Slooootthhh babeeeehhhhh !!!!

Thanks for the lovely Roethke poem, Kristie – “He thinks about it for a Year” – hee !

Slothpital, awwwww.

And I second, third, usw., a Sloths-in-Racks tag.

Will be off to the Rehab center once I’m properly fortified and armed for the cute onslaught.

30. I seriously need a pet Sloth. Just a cool little guy who appreciates long slumbers and lazy days enjoying each other’s company. My Catahoula exhausts me to no end. He’s got more energy than a nuclear power plant.

31. eternalcanadian says:

awww, how is the world upside down? just fine thank you very much, teehee. such a cute sloth!

32. Sloths are so strange…

33. For days and days among the trees
    I sleep and dream and doze
    Just gently swaying in the breeze
    Suspended by my toes
    While eager beavers overhead
    Rush through the undergrowth
    I watch the clouds beneath my feet;
    How sweet to be a Sloth.

(Flanders & Swann)

34. Hon Glad says:

I’m in loth I’m in loth, I’m in loth with a sloth.

35. The Slothpital is great, but the ambulance response times are rubbish…

36. Jennie Mello says:

I LOOOOOOOVE sloths more than anything. Lived for 4 years in Brazil and any time we were outside I would look at all the trees and try to spot a sloth. I never did. Not once.

37. Very fond of the Slothio- yes, I would give one a nice, long hug given the opportunity, this is a nice clean one, as has been remarked before.

Happy Birthday to me tomorrow. I turn into a Senior Citizen and can cheaper food at Denny’s and assorted places! Yes, the BIG 55! Tomorrow is “Read, Then Comment” day, Whopwhoo I hope so!

38. But, my typing will never improve- please insert the words ‘get’ or ‘buy’ or ‘purchase’ into the last comment somewhere.

39. A-freakin’-dorabuhlz.

40. Oh sloth, how I heart thee…

41. Kin I haz a bebeh sloth??

42. SomeonesMother says:

Happy Birthday Katrina, from another senior citizen!