C.O. Presents: Cuisine of the World!

What’s the perfect complement to Swiss cheese?  Swiss bread, of course!  Rarely seen outside the Alps, Brot voller Löcher is a hearty, whole-grain bread with an unusual pattern of Swiss cheese-like holes.  Locals say it’s good luck when the holes in your bread-and-cheese sandwich align perfectly.  But while Swiss cheese gets its holes from naturally-occurring pockets of trapped gas, Swiss bread requires a more laborious process…

... yeah, and it's hell on my waistline, too.

I think I’ll just have the salad, Zana F.

Comments

1. Von Zeppelin says:

An excellent photo of the rare “bread prairie dog.”

2. Mary (the first) says:

Ack! I came back for another look at the klipspringer and here’s a mouse! EEK!

3. I will take three orders to go please. Love snacks you can snuggle with.

4. That looks like the makings of a Ham Sandwich to me…

5. 260Oakley says:

Crusty ol’ ham is trying to carb out a niche for himself.

6. eikoleigh says:

CUTE!!

7. Christina says:

Ham sandwich hehe. :)

I want every loaf of bread to come with one of these!

8. Good one Nik!

9. *poik*

10. Good heavens, it’s a yeastster.

11. That’s not cute. That’s geeeeee-ross!

12. Hehehe Nicole.

13. That hamster is definately in-bread.

14. Lerrinus says:

Holey! ;-D

15. Ham on Rye.

16. The Exterminator guy is upstairs right now- run little breadstuff, run!
    Oh,dear.

17. Oh my goodness gracious! Can we puh-LEEZ get a COXCU on those sweet little fingers?? Just the littlest of nibbles!

18. Paunchie says:

I’m sure s/he leave a few raisins in that bread!

EW

19. You guys are just too clever for me! 260Oakley has done it AGAIN!!!

20. Does anyone have the recipe?

21. A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.

22. Ham on rye.. I mean Ham in my eye… nope how bout ham and swiss on whole wheat hold the mayo.

LOL

23. Okay oNe more cause I can not resist.

Nibble nibble Ploink!!!!

24. Von Zeppelin says:

@Katrina–You hired an Exterminator? Someone who formerly worked as a killer robot from the future? He’s coming out of retirement to get rid of the mice? Seems a little drastic. To say nothing about possibly altering the course of the space-time continuum.

25. Von Z — nyuk. John Connor SCOFFS at your Prime Directive.

26. Holey ham on rye, batman!

27. Von Zeppelin- Yes, AHHnaahld was in my attic, I admit it.

Please don’t think badly of me, it is for the health of my human family, and of Killer, too.

He is coming back tomorrow to do the thing he needs to do. The problem is really pretty dire, actually.
    Oh, jeez-louise, I have unwittingly been feeding them too, with bird food outside. I’m frowning as I type this. I took the Facebook Aura quiz and I’m Blue for Heaven’s sake- blue- nurturing and loving and sharing and —now, lethal.
    OK, I’ll just have to be a big girl about this, but oh, dear.
    I think my space-time continuum is showing.

28. Mary (the first) says:

Katrina.. I also have some mice but they are not “upstairs”, they are apparently quite happy behind my stove. I have done some things I’m not proud of and will not share with the CO peeps in fear of being forever banned.. but you just can’t have field mice in teh food.. no matter how cute they are. Please forgive me …

29. The irony that the little ham can literally eat himself right out of his home.

30. @Jezebel: you want Mouse (hamster) House? You get Mouse (hamster) House.

31. Gail (the first one) says:

@Katrina: Distressing, I know. But you did invite them, politely, to take their Mouseketeer-choir and leave but they didn’t take the hint.

32. It’s hamster heaven!

33. kibblenibble says:

Such a pretty little Hammy! Nice colors, tiny toesies, delicate little wheeskers…:o)

34. Subhangi says:

SQUEEEEEEE! I won’t be eating the bread though :D

35. Come live in my wholemeal bread and we’ll share it together, little fuzz bum. :-)

36. Hon Glad says:

I hope that’s cracked wheat on top and not Hampster sprinkles.

37. By the way I don’t think this is “Gee-ross” at all. When my hams get toasted wholegrain bread for treats – zippp! They’re at the food bowl faster than you can say “flaxseed”.

38. Ham on Rye,
    Nobody worry ’bout me…

39. Mouse or hamster? It looks like a hammie to me! Please, somebody, clear this mystery up for me?!!

40. You’re hiring an exterminator to kill a HAMSTER? Obviously this is someone’s pet that escaped!! That’s no mouse! Oh, the humanity…EEEEESSSHHHHHH!

41. Barb Wright- no, my apologies if the comment sounded like that. My housie has mousies. Many, many mousies. I saw four of them I am sure they are “mouse, field.”

I tried capturing them, but the problem is um, too, umm, big for that.

42. Mmm, now I know why yesterday’s sammich tasted so funky…

43. Yes, Aoife, it was the “fennel seeds”.

44. Paunchie says:

Katrina, don’t you have a kitteh?

45. ‘Fraid not, Paunchie We are honored with Killer Corgi, who, if unleashed could wreak havoc (dog of war and all), but we are catless. My husband and one son are a-llergic. It was a choice 23 years ago, Killer’s Daddy or cats. I thought about it and chose. I really miss cats, but ya know, I would have missed him more. Although I wouldn’t have this problem right now.
    OOO, guess what Mr Exterminator found outside in our shed? Uh-huh, rats. Oh joy unbounding. Passover better come quick this year, I refuse morain!

46. Paunchie says:

Hm that’s a tough one, cat or life partner?? Hmmm

Perhaps you should get a python instead!

(ducks shoes being thrown)

47. Did anyone else hear about the Pythons that got loose form Gulf Coast pet stores during the two big storms (you know, Rita and the OTHER big one?) and now the Pythons are reproducing at an alarming rate? And with all of those nice orange-teeth nutria to eat!
    Dear God,Of whom I’m inordinately fond) I’m not going more South then Washington DC until they get this under control. I need to be talked down!

48. D’oh, imagine-a if that-a pooped in-a the bread-a?!