That’s One Small Step For Ham, One Giant Leap For Hamkind

DAY TWO: After completing atmospheric and temperature evaluations, I am ready to exit the landing module and begin my initial survey.

Darn it! I forgot to pick up the giant flag from the cleaners!

The surface is peppered for miles in every direction with deep, treacherous craters, evidence perhaps of violent meteor showers that once ravaged this planet…

... unusual salt deposits, too.

… and yet, even among these wastelands, I find remnants of a once-great civilization, which built vast cities, drank overpriced coffee, and constructed gleaming white spaceships in which they fled the devastation of their beloved world…

Which means there's probably at least one Starbucks nearby.

We come in peace, Ron M.

Comments

1. Such intrepidness (intrepidity?)!

Blue cup in 3rd pic – WANT!!!

2. Surveying my territory… sweet!! =)

3. One, two, tree… LEAP!

4. I am loving the coffee cups in this picture, the cute vintage-y New York one and the Seattle one. I must know where they’re from!!! I’d love to know the answer! :) Thanks!

5. It’s Pixar’s sequel, Ham-E.

[*snicker* - Ed.]

6. I feel quite strongly about the lightbulb (another vintage item?) in 2nd pic.

7. Okay.

The webcomic I read daily just referenced CO:

HOLY MERGING OF WORLDS!

[Yeah, ain't it awesome? - Ed.]

8. cheesybird says:

Is that Neil Hamstrong or Fuzz Aldrin there?

9. You blew it up,damn you all to hell?

10. cheesybird – LOL! :)

11. In a whispering voice with British accent:

“Here we have the very rarely sighted hermit-ham, as outgrows his old mug. Watch him carefully scout out the tabletop of cups, mugs, and other drinking vessels — carefully choosing his next home that will offer maximum space, comfort, and color coordination.”

12. Baaaaam Baaaaam Baaaaaaaaaaaam!
    BAM BAM!!!!

(boom boom boom boom boom boom boom)

(“Also sprach Zarathustra,” folks. ;))

13. biscuithead says:

@ chanpon

Nice David Attenborough impression!
    It’s a shame that these days, they use an American narrator for his stuff that airs in the US.
    The whispery voice is so much more compelling!

14. Take me to your leader! Right aways!

15. What I love about David Attenborough is how in one shot he’s in Denali, Alaska, watching
    marmots,then in the next shot he’s in the Galapagos. How does he DO that? ;)

16. I claim this planet for Hamsopotamia. Long will this day live in the hearts and minds of all Hamkind.

17. Leslie Hirsch says:

only problem is, now there are hammie poops in all of your cups!

[Meh. There's a dishwasher. - Ed.]

18. Theresa if you ever get a chance to see it there is this awesome film on his life and how he came into all of our lives.
    He Is a true scientist and amazingly innovative. Not to mention Funny as all get out
    He has a wonderful sense of humor and he does most of those shots in One take.

I forget which disk it was on we had it from Netflix. it is on one of those mammal disks along with some of his younger work.
    I will see if I can find it and post.

19. But Annie, does it explain how he changes time zones and hemispheres in a split second? He has Superpowers!!!

20. Okay I found it. it is
    ” Attenborough in Paradise and Other Personal Voyages “
    it is a two disk set.
    the stuff about his life is on disk two.

21. Yay shoutout on QC!!

Also: Yay cute hammie!!

22. Theresa Yes it Does
    Snicker

23. rubeh begonia says:

This reminds me of when I was a camp counselor many years ago. I used to drink cocoa and forget to wash out the cup. Later, I’d find that the cup had been “cleaned” for me, with the exception of the telltale mouse poopies at the bottom of the cup.

24. I made a shoutout shoutout! META YAY!!!

25. One small step for Ham, one giant leap for Hamkind…

26. Which was, you know, the title of the post….the hamster has landed!

27. Great pictures and captions and those things that pop up when you put your mouse over the picture and Theresa–David Attenborough is an immortal being whose physical shape allows him to transcend our knows planes of extistance, it really is that simple. I would listen to him read the phone book- indeed!
    Lichens! (pronounced litchens)

28. What kind of hamster is that?

29. biscuithead, you’re *kidding* me. Please tell me they don’t really OVERDUB Attenborough… This is yet another reason I have given up on television altogether. At least I can get the good stuff online. Anyone here seen Attenborough’s “Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life” special that came out recently? It’s very nice, with lots of retrospective footage from older series as well as a great lightning rundown of the evidence for evolution.

Ironically, I’ve heard Sir David confess that he has no love of rats…

30. I can has Ham-mugger?

Eh, something like that. He’s sooo cute!

31. @skip — he looks like he may be a Chinese hamster.

32. “Planet Earth” was overdubbed in the US by Sigourney Weaver. Nothing against her, but Sir David was way better.

33. Katrina, I knew it! He’s a Time Lord!

34. superboymom says:

@Leslie Hirsch: “only problem is, now there are hammie poops in all of your cups!”

My 1st thought too!

35. Theresa- yeah, ssshhhhhhh.

36. Sir David Attenborough is a Chines Hamster? It wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve read Hitchhiker’s Guide!

37. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

That’s hammie *raisins*. They don’t like their poops referred to in such language!

38. “But do you have a flag?”

I too was reminded of a hermit crab, looking for a new home.

BTW, not to go all anglophile, but what’s that box marked “biscuits?”

39. Mary (the first) says:

Those people have even more decorative mugs than I do .. AND a hammie! I’m very envious now.

40. Katrina, No! I was answering Skip’s question about what kind of hamster that is. Silly girl!!

41. Kari- Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

42. AuntieMame says:

Starbucks coffee tastes like hamster raisins anyway, so what’s the difference?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did overdub Sir David with an American accent. Everyone seems to think Americans are too stupid to understand/appreciate other accents and cultures. (Yet…we have commercials that spoof him…so obviously some of us know who he is.)

43. This is the ham that’s friends with the anole who climbed Mt Hand.

NOMTOM: Again, well done (I thought the anole couldn’t be topped, but I stand corrected).

44. Boomer's Babysitter says:

er, Hammie… “nice mugs.” Sorry, couldn’t resist. I’m still getting over a fever, my brain is addled.

45. Boomer's Babysitter says:

46. Boomer's Babysitter says:

47. Boomer's Babysitter says:

48. Boomer's Babysitter says:

49. Boomer's Babysitter says:

50. Sir Edmund Lizardy and Hamzing Norgay?

51. Ps Afterwards they get together at the Explorers Club for broccoli-and- seltzer with mosquito hors-d’oeuvres.

52. Von Zeppelin says:

I’m curious about the propulsion system of that landing module. Does it come with a flying saucer?

53. “Do not be alarmed. We come in peace. Take us to your veggie platter.”

54. Von Zeppelin says:

You know how those fifties movie aliens were always worrying about humans becoming a threat after we got the bomb? I’m wondering if this hamstronaut is here to deliver a sober warning about the proliferation of Starbucks. Perhaps espresso-bar technology should be kept in the hands of the Galactic Federation for the good of all sentient beings.

55. We’d be better off if hamsters ruled the world. We’d eat properly, get lots of exercise, take plenty of naps, and save a fortune on toilet roll.

As this is the internet, I’m obliged to say that I for one welcome our new hamster overlords.

56. catloveschanel says:

Creative but Creepy,
    hamsters in your dishes,
    I was never one for cats on a counter,

You should give him a spin
    in the Salad Spinner and see what planet he lands on…

57. Theresa: What you said, Sir Lizardy and Hamzing Norgay. I salute you, Theresa.

58. Mary (the first) says:

ha.. I just thought of the “flying saucer” reference but Von Zeppelin beat me to it .. bravo Von! All the saucers must be in flight at the moment.

59. That delectable hammie-sammich and a cup of coffee to go, pwease.

60. HA! I used to sell those Seattle coffee mugs. Too funny!

61. @Katrina: “My goodness we do bounce around through many versions of fantasy on CO, don’t we?”

*blink* You mean….this *isn’t* reality? The stuff _outside_ of CO is reality?!?!? *quivering lip* *runs away screaming*

62. Thanks, Kari!

63. Oh my God, I was wrong!
    It was Earth all along!

[Rock me, Dr. Zaius... - Ed.]

64. My God! It’s full of stars!!

65. berthaservant says:

This is totally a phony. Everyone knows that all space “landings” are performed on a soundstage in Pacoima. They made a movie about it a long time ago — “Hamicorn One.”

66. Michelle S. says:

“Starbucks coffee tastes like hamster raisins”

*snort* XD

67. totalee puppy says:

Awww…Von Zeppelin beat me
    to “hamstronaut”. As we
    said last night, “the agony of de feet”. Thanks for all the comments…Laughing releases endorphins…CO
    habit alert…alert…alert.

68. Yes, Kar, it’s a well-known fact that one must have a FLAAAG in order to claim a country, continent or planet. No Flag? No Country!

69. “I’d find that the cup had been “cleaned” for me, with the exception of the telltale mouse poopies at the bottom of the cup.”

I used to have a plastic chopping board that had gone red because of the tomatoes and red peppers I’d cut on it. Could never get it quite clean, until I moved into a house that was slug infested …

70. Well we could all decide that this reality is an S.E.P* and let it go at that.The sound of 40,000 people going “foomh”. Pure genius.

*Somebody Else’s Problem. Please read the Douglas Adams trilogy ‘Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe. And you’re welcome.

Flower Show tomorrow-Noelle-we’ll compare notes when we come back on Monday!

71. Thanks SoCalSis. Glad to see another Izzard fan.

72. Habit-or ‘habitrail’, totalee puppy?

How does a house get slug infested, starling? And, even more importantly, how did you get the slugs out?