Rest in Proshness

Dearly befuddled, we are gathered here today to pay our respects to one of the cutest roadside memorials we’ve ever seen: This lovely floral presentation in honor of… a squirrel?!

Perfectly normal from a distance, and then... Wha-HUH?

And not just any squirrel, but true sports nut, with a passion for baseball, basketball and hockey.

Although the referees kept ejecting him for nibbling the puck.

Found in Sacramento by Angela B. Can any other Sacto peeps shed light on this?

[UPDATE: Working from Beth's and Ellen's tips, I think I've located the white building with the tiled roof in the background of shot one, which supports their theory about the address.  Click here to see the building in Google Street View. -- Mike]

Comments

1. Pestilence says:

Poor little squirrel dude.

2. maybe it’s… art?

3. Hm… although highly unusual, I think it’s sort of nice. I mean how many thousands of squirrels get run over all the time and no one gives them a second thought. At least this gives us pause to reflect, even for a second, about their life too.

4. that looks like kind of a generic google squirrel image.. maybe somebody accidentally hit a squirrel, and felt bad enough about it to erect a memorial and guess at the dearly departed’s hobbies?

5. Made me laugh! And gives me a good idea should the unthinkable happen on my street…

6. awwwwww:-(
    After a bouncing puck comes a running squirrell.

7. Michelle S. says:

*blink*

8. aww.. poor squirrel… well maybe it will make people slow down on that street from now on…

9. I found out why so many squirrels do get run over and it kinda makes sense. Seems that squirrels have one tree that’s basically their “safe” tree, where they run whenever they sense danger. The problem comes when they’re on the other side of the road from their safe tree when a car comes along and they decide they need to get to that tree. That’s why they seem to just dart out right in front of your car.

Poor little guys!!

10. I’ve had many wild squirrel friends, so I know the sentiment is real. *sniff, choke, sigh…*

11. Kari-that explains a lot of squirrely squirrel behavior, no wonder they run so quickly across a street. I have a new respect, for the instinct. I know I’d run like hell to get to my “safe place”. We have six resident squirrels at our back feeder and some at our front feeder-there may be overlap, and we drive very carefully around here.

12. If the picture had been the Fark squirrel, I’d have snorted water out my nose!

13. My pet squirrel got run over in October. I raised her from a baby. I understand how someone could feel like this. I cried for three solid days. She was the best pet I ever had. She would roll over on her back and let me scratch her belly. I miss her terribly. Anyhow, I now feed all the squirrels in the neighborhood. Everyone around here knows me as the Squirrel lady. At least I am not the cat lady.

14. Oh Violet…that makes me so so sad. Do you have any pics suitable for posting here?

15. i would bet that the creator of this reads CO and will be on here to explain it soon enough.

16. Not to be mean, but my opinion of wild squirrels will always be based on an experience I had when I was out riding my bike one time and a squirrel hit me. I didn’t hit him; he hit me.

I was riding along, going at a fair clip (tho not fast by car standards) when a squirrel darts out in the road in front of me, going from right to left. I swerve to the right, and he just barely makes it in front of me… and then suddenly turns on his tail, going left to right, and whacks right into the wheel of my bike, DONG.

No idea if the squirrel made it or not, I was trying to keep my balance…

Squirrels, not the brightest nut in the box.

17. I have no idea, but that is one of the funniest things I’ve seen!

18. Oh man, poor skwerly – caught in the crossfire between skwerl gangs? How many expire right at street corners??

19. It looks like that might be down by CSUS, where there is a large population of semi-tame squirrels. I’ve had squirrels down there run right up to me and grab food right off my plate–they’re pretty bold.

20. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

RIP little rodent!

21. I too am touched by this- I know how hard it is to lose a pet :_(

22. I am a Sacto peep and can testify to the massive number of beloved squirrel bros who live downtown.

In the park surrounding the state capitol bldg, there are hundreds if not thousands of the little scamps. They are by and large tewtelly people friendly coz there are hundreds of people in the park every day chillin like Kevin Dillon.

Scattered throughout the tree-lined downtown area are thousands more skwrlz. The difficulty lies in the fact that our great number of trees are often as not lining well-trafficked streets.

Thus and sadly, we see our share of roadkills.

Still, we do likes us some squirrel here in Sac. Funny though, this memorial: We’re not so much a hockey town.

Friend Cedar thinks this pic could be near the Cal State Sac campus, East of downtown. But methinks its somewhere in midtown or near the Capitol Park.

23. Aww… That’s so sweet!

24. I’m sorry to nuff but I knew that squirrel and he SUCKED at baseball.

25. Hahahaha. There is even a little picture of (squirrel?) Jesus on the ground. I want to know the story behind this!

26. Sadly, it appears that Mr. Douglas P. Squirrel was a victim of squirrel hazing: http://squirrelhazing.squirrelsinblack.org/

27. Made me cry! We live in an eco-friendly neighborhood and not only have resident wild squirrels but also deer (does and bucks with GREAT antlers) and bunnies. It’s always nice to see that they all made it through the winter (of course, I leave feed out for them so they don’t eat my trees/bushes). If one is hit by a car and left on the side of the road and I see it, I cry. They aren’t the encroachers, we are! All of you that posted “funny” or hard hearted comments – shame on you! The squirrel was only doing what squirrels do – make a living!!!

28. snorglepup says:

I kilt a squirrel once. Felt so bad I cryed!
    My Smoopie gave me a little ceramic squirrel he had glued a wire halo to.
    Made me feel better.
    I’m sure maker of roadside memorial felt similar remorse.

29. This has Rob Cockerham written all over it!! :)

30. i hope he was buried with his nuts.

31. Sad. I always feel so awful that squirrels get hit all the time, and people seem not to care. I’ve been lucky enough to avoid hitting a little guy thus far…

32. I think this is a real life portrayal of a F Minus comic by Tony Carrillo dated Aug. 6, 2008. (I don’t know how to link or paste or whatever it is.) But the comic shows almost the same thing with a squirrel.

33. @ Kari — I heard a different reason why squirrels dart back and forth. It’s actually a very adaptive behavior when trying to get away from a hawk or a coyote because when they zig or zag the predator can’t turn as fast, and therefore they get away. This technique, however, doesn’t work with cars. I have had many a close call with the little boogers who are zigging and zagging in front of my car. The only really safe thing to do is stop for them.

P.S. but I like the idea of a “safe tree,” as well — nice to know they have a home base in the neighborhood.

34. Sad for the squirrel, but my God, people crack me up! These are my kind of folks.

I know squirrely is looking down with his angel wings feeling very appreciated. Too sweet!

35. Sacramento peep here, I’m going to play with GoogleEarth street view so we can at least have an intersection…

36. Floyd's Mom says:

super sad. I’m a big squirrel lover and feed many many squirrels at work and home. My husband and I actually will stop and move a squirrel out of the road if we see one who has been hit. I can also say without a doubt that the squirrels here take the time to look both ways before they cross the road. I’ve seen them do it many times and have other witnesses who have seen it. They get on a tree or telephone pole, look one direction, look the other and then take off only to be hit by speeding motorists. I know it’s not always the car that is at fault since they tend to freeze up in the middle of the road. I just tend to get defensive when it comes to squirrels.

37. Floyd's Mom says:

38. Floyd's Mom says:

39. Floyd's Mom says:

40. Floyd's Mom says:

41. Floyd's Mom says:

42. Chinchillazilla says:

Awww. :(

43. violet- i’m so sorry you lost your pet squirrel. i lost my friendly squirrel this last year. it’s hard even losing our wild critters!

i always say a quick amen for any roadkill i see, just so they know at least one person honors their passing. it makes me feel better somehow.

44. “I, Squirrel, being of sound mind and body, do hereby bequeath my nuts to my dearly beloved wife, who has always felt like she owned them anyway and most certainly coveted them. To clarify, I am speaking of the enormous nut stash I kept at 123 Main Street, Tree #2, Hole 3.”

45. Violet, I’m sorry for your loss.

I love squirrels, too. Some of you might know me as a volunteer at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center (in St. Paul, MN). (I’ve often posted stuff about it.) I care for baby squirrels in the mammal nursery, from April through early October. They are adorable little babies, and it breaks my heart to see dead squirrels in the streets. If it’s a dead baby squirrel, it’s sad, but just as sad is a dead adult, because his/her babies are most likely starving in their nest.

Personally, I think people drive far too fast through the city neighborhoods, and it angers me that they can’t slow down to a normal speed once they exit the highways. I live in southwest Minneapolis in an old neighborhood, about four miles from downtown Mpls., and I see other drivers racing down city streets as if they were still on 35W. For God’s sake, children and dogs and cats and squirrels LIVE on these city blocks. If people would just SLOW DOWN, maybe we could save a few thousand squirrels each spring and summer. Okay, I’ll hop off my soap box now.

46. Ellen, I think it’s 21st and Capitol. Definitely a two-lane one-way street with bike lanes, and I think that is the funeral home in the background.

Which may be where the flowers came from.

47. So I think I found it. I believe the picture was taken at the corner of 21st and L across the street from W.F. Gormley and Sons.

My supporting evidence is: 1-way street, position of the sun in early fall, presence of parking meters and the correct awnings and roof style.

Oh, and did I mention that W. F. Gormley and Sons is a funeral home? I guess I should.

48. Beth you are amazing! Yes, the employees *would* have access to easels and flowers and things. Even Jesus candles.

49. Kari – the “safe” tree theory helps explain how my dog once managed to catch what I thought was the world’s stupidest squirrel. The dog lunged so hard upon seeing a bunch of playing squirrels in the park that she ripped the leash right out of my hand and took off towards them. All of the smart squirrels immediately scampered to safety, but the less intelligent started up one tree, changed his mind, ran down and towards another. Unfortunately the dog was directly between the squirrel and the second tree, and squirrel basically ended up sprinting right into dog’s mouth. It was a horrifying day.

50. Trabb's Boy says:

So we’ve got these kitties, and they’re old and we love them even though one of them is into recreational barfing (vet’s diagnosis) and the other poops outside the litterbox leaving our bedroom as QUITE the minefield when we grope for the lightswitch by the door first thing in the morning, but it could be worse, because the pooper used to refuse to pee in the litter box too until I finally, after many tears and much experimentation found this wonderful, appallingly expensive wheat litter, solving that problem until, lo and behold, the neighbourhood squirrels learned of this magnificent development and proceeded to chew through our screen so that they could sit on the edge of the litterbox eating away(I know, it’s gross) while the morons just sit and stare, and since we worry about rabies we put in dog-proof screen which the squirrels proceeded to chew through just as easily to get at that yummy cat box and I am completely at my wit’s end but I still can’t hate the little buggers because they have fluffy tails and beady eyes and hold their little hands just so. Sigh.

RIP, little guy.

51. Trabb's Boy says:

RIP, little guy.

52. Trabb's Boy says:

RIP, little guy.

53. Trabb's Boy says:

RIP, little guy.

54. Trabb's Boy says:

RIP, little guy.

55. Trabb's Boy says:

RIP, little guy.

56. Following up Beth’s and Ellen’s tips about the address, I’ve updated my post with a link to a Google Street Maps view of that building in the background at that intersection. I think it’s a close match and that Beth and Ellen are correct about the location.

57. In Minneapolis 3 albino squirrels lived in my neighborhood. They were quite tame as I discovered–one once quietly appeared in my kitchen (the door was open), sat on its haunches, and looked up at (a very startled) me! Unfortunately, they were all ultimately killed by motorists. It made me very sad, so I appreciate the memorial/idea of a memorial.

Now, in Boston, we have 3 grey squirrel siblings who are crazy fun to observe! Thankfully, we live in a quiet neighborhood…

58. Marissa, I’m a longtime fan of Rob Cockerham, but I haven’t checked his site in a while. Thanks for that link! The guy’s genius, and possibly the funniest writer I’ve ever read.

59. Hey Vic, have you visited the albino squirrel at Jamaica Pond?

60. it’s definitely 21st and L near that WaMu across from the funeral home.

61. (“Recreational barfing?”)

62. It’s actually not Rob – I used to work with him and shot him an e-mail as soon as someone posted the link above. He doesn’t know who it is either!

63. As a Californian, I’m eligible to say this…
    Only in California.

64. lucy's mommeh says:

There are times I miss being in Westfield, NY. We had a decent sized back yard & we had BLACK squirrels..
    About this time of year, I would go smear peanut butter on the maple tree out back & watch half asleep squirrels lap it up.
    There was a yellow belly sapsucker (it’s a bird, a real one) drill tiny holes in the bark. The squirrels loved that, they would cling upside down on the trunk & lap up the sap.

65. lucy's mommeh says:

66. lucy's mommeh says:

67. lucy's mommeh says:

68. lucy's mommeh says:

69. lucy's mommeh says:

70. dharlan1too says:

John E., you’re NUTS!
    “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to honor the life of John E. Squirrel which he spent trying to find his nuts…”

71. Trabb’s Boy, I feel your pain. I have a recreational barfer, too. Three vets and $4000 worth of vet bills, including exploratory surgery, have not solved the problem of Philo’s ejecta. *sigh*

72. Oh yeah: I was telling my aunt about the barfer last night, INCLUDING the fact that we had raised him from a two-week-old runtkitten, complete with bottle feeding and maternal/paternal bonding, and she actually asked me, “Are you going to keep him?”

73. escobarphoto says:

Hey guys me and my four pawed photo partner took a walk down there after seeing the pic. Found the spot but the memorial is gone. It’s in front of the building next to trend setters, if they had been open i would have stopped in to ask but they where all ready closed for the day.

74. Thanks to all for your kind words. I would love to do squirrel rehab. My squirrel fell out of a tree when she was still a baby. We waited two days for the momma squirrel to come get her baby, but she didn’t. When it was evident that the baby would not survive another day. We took her in. I wish I could send you some pictures. How do you post pictures here?

75. Mike, are you available for hire?

Geez, color me impressed.

76. kibblenibble says:

Trabbsboy, that was a helluva long sentence. What kinda coffee do you drink? I want some! XD

77. Vic – I live in Minneapolis, and we have two albino squirrels in our neighborhood, too! I live in Seward neighborhood, just across 94 from Augsburg College and the U of M. I love “Whitey”, as we call him. Well, we thought there was only one Whitey for about a year and one day we saw two of them together! It’s super cute <3

78. I took this photo last summer. It was indeed on 21st Street in front of Cheap Thrills, the costume rental place. I spotted it after getting my haircut at Trendsetters next door. No one at Trendsetters or Bode and Bode next door knew who was responsible. My guess is that it was an employee at Cheap Thrills, a cool little costume rental place that drew a wide variety of characters. The memorial remained standing for several months, until someone threw it through the front window of the hair salon.

79. Oh man. I had no idea barfing could be recreational. I had one of those too. Unfortunately I think that’s why she stayed so small, never got above 7 lbs.

I have to replace the carpeting in my entire house because she was so thorough. Very expensive.

She was worth a hundred new carpets, sweet thing.

80. Ronni: I agree with you completely.

I live in a heavily oaked area…squirrels everywhere. Sadly, I see one hit just about every day. It breaks my heart. Everyone…slow down…there are kitties out there, too!!!

81. I think it the reason the words “Klatuu Barada Nicto” were uttered in a movie long ago.Humans can be okay . But….seriously…. Call the Vatican !!!! ” Jesus Appears In Leaves “…It looks like there is another Holy presence as well…close-up plz. Keep up the fabulous work…!B’witch

82. hahaha… I love Downtown Sacramento. When it’s not covered in crazies, that is.

That’s at Capital and 20th. Pretty much Midtown, in actuality. Good times indeed.

83. The Other One Michelle says:

I’m in Roseville, MN and in a neighborhood where I walk over lunch a man has “raised” litters of albino squirrels for years. He told me that the original mama and papa moved in to an old shed in his yard years ago and keep having batches of babies with the albino gene. It’s pretty cool to walk through there each Spring and look for them.

84. I used to live in Sacramento and I can vouch for the number of squirrels there. I used to park my car in Land Park when I went to Sac City and I saw so many little victims. I always enjoyed tossing them little pieces of bread on my lunch break.

85. So one of the funeral home peeps ran over a squirrel and decided to put up a memoriam? thats pretty sweet :)

86. Thanks for posting such a sweet story. No matter how unusual it’s always important to recognize compassion and kindness toward all creatures great and small. :)

87. I’m a native Sacramento girl and currently go to UC Davis across the causeway. Shew, I can tell you, there are a LOT of squirrels and too many squirrel roadkills.

Funny tidbit: UC Davis is trying to implement birth control to the squirrels on campus because they think the population is a little too prolific (despite the roadkills). It’s good to know this is what kind of research my tuition money is funding. Here’s the campus news article on it: http://theaggie.org/article/1859 Enjoy the laugh!

88. Really cute post!

I used to live in Sacramento, too. But I don’t think the guess that the location by the funeral home is correct. If you look at the Google street view, there is not a view that matches up with the view in the picture. I definitely think it is Midtown/Downtown somewhere, though. Perhaps by McKinley Park?

89. I’ve lived in south Mpls. most of my life, and have seen many albino squirrels. I love them, and think of them as good luck charms. I’m happy when one lives on my block.
    We also have black (melanistic) squirrels in Mpls., and there’s always been at least one family of black squirrels in Loring Park.
    Red squirrels are cute and insane. Flying squirrels are gorgeous.
    The prettiest I’ve ever seen (I volunteer at the Wildlife Rehab Center) is the Fox Squirrel. Oh boy, we all fell in LOVE with him!

90. Trabbs boy: I love your sentence!!

John E you made me laugh out loud

Zeldapie: we’re neibs! I live in Minneapolis!

And I have seen quite a few albino squirrels in my hood. I wonder if Minneapolis has a strong albino gene in the squirrel population. [shrug]

91. Cheers to the folks that setup this memorial. So cute! I’m in MN, too, and used to live in St. Paul near Como Park. There were tons of white squirrels there. I now live in the Eagan area and we just got our first white squirrel visitor to the feeder today. I’m so glad to see her. I love those pink little eyes! Who knew there were so many in the Metro area?

92. I had no idea there were so many recreational pukers out there. I have found cat puke inside my shoes, purses and on many other non-washable items many times. I had hardwood floors, but no, they couldn’t just puke on the floor…Trabb’s boy, thank you for bringing this to light. And for the story that made laugh so hard I almost peed.

93. Strangely enough, the building in the background with the tile roof is a funeral home. WF Gormley & Sons‎.

94. Though the building do look quite similar, I don’t think this is the right location.
    1) The memorial photo is taken on a one way street
    2) The orientation of the cars in the parking lot across the street don’t match up, to the building orientation
    3) This memorial appears to be on the corner of a street or alley (curved curb)

Do we know what kind of building this is? Are there similar buildings in the area?

95. Hmmm — Cameron, lemme add:

4) The building in the Google street view has a street-facing porch with steps and a front door. The building in our photo has a street-facing wall with a window.
    5) There’s a completely different building in the background.

So yeah, it’s similar, but not the same.

Now, I’m not saying that the “found” street is any less treacherous for foot traffic, you understand. Squirrels, take heed.

96. escobarphoto says:

Cameron- That is the right area right building only the google view is from capital st. and it was on 21st the curb is turning in to an ally way.

97. Do I need to go back and take a few more pictures for you people? I took the original photo and it is located on 21st street between L street and Capitol. And yes, it’s on the alley. Midtown has east to west alleys running between every street downtown.

98. You can eat a squirrel.

Tastes like a rat.

99. Angela — so what we’re seeing is just the view from the side, as opposed to the front? That’d account for the differences I see…

100. The memorial was facing the sidewalk, not the street. I took the photo near the corner of the alley facing diagonal….the facing street is 21st, you see the funeral home in the back on Capitol Ave. So…I was shooting the angle south west. I have no problem taking more pictures if you desire. I drive by this location probably 10 times a day. The memorial was in between the old Cheap Thrills costume shop (huge victorian that is now under renovation) and Bode and Bode Locksmith…on 21st street Keep in mind, cheap thrills has now moved a few doors down. The old location is right next door to Trendsetters Hair Salon.

So….yes…the side you’re seeing from Google is actually of Capitol Ave. If you were to turn around, you’d be able to see where the photo was taken. tried to pull it up on Google image, but didn’t have the time to try to figure it out. Hope this helps solve the mystery! And yes, additional photos are still available if wanted!

I currently have about 15 squirrels at my home that I feed everyday, 6 brown and the rest gray. I also have a huge population of hummingbirds. I’ve had nests the last 2 years that have produced 2 babies each.
    My little female just finishing her nest this week….I know, it’s early. Can anyone say global warming? I’ll submit what I feel will be post worthy, but I obviously have no say as to what is posted. I have some great shots of Mom and the kids in the nest from 2 years ago. Her nest was 4 feet from my front door. Maybe I’ll give it a try and submit them…..who knows!

Thanks to all for being touched my my squirrel memorial pic. I saw it after a haircut and returned promptly the next day with my camera. Frankly, the sweetest thing I’d seen in a while.

Angela in Sac

101. BlackKittiesRmyfriends says:

That is really sad.. it was nice of you to do that though… Cause I really love squirrels..

102. I’m pretty sure it’s this photo:

103. BlackKittiesRmyfriends says:

*sniff* When I was little There was this one squirrel thatcame to my window and I thought It had like 18 baby squirrels.. I even had stuff animal squirrles.

104. Well, we ARE pretty fond of our squirrels here.