It tastes so good when it hits your lips!!!

Another pic from the insane Victoria fires over in Aussie-tralia. Don’t miss this koala we featured earlier, also from a similar scene.

Via DListed:

Look at the koala’s little tongue! And the koala’s paw on the fireman’s hand! The koala is so polite and so thankful! Like a little person! This makes me want to truckjack a Sparklett’s water truck and drive through the ocean to Australia.

Koalacuteness12

Thanks Mr. Michael K. ;) You can help at the Australia Red Cross.

Comments

1. This is such a sweet scene…very touching!

2. Was going to sender-inner this one but couldn’t find the original site. Was sure it would find its way onto CO anyway. Yay!

3. The story on CBS News is gonna make me cry though…poor little guy with scorched paws…It’s just so sad!

4. thicktortiethintabby says:

Shouldn’t the hovertext say “leeps”??

5. Oh how sweet (weeping)!!

6. koalas are really cute. geez. scorched paws? ouchy indeed.

7. steppy almost cried over this picture. The article included in yahoo news was so sweet. I wanna hug that nice fireman for doing what he did.

8. This is a definite candidate for the sexy men saving animals calendar. Remember the firefighter with the cats during one of the floods? This photo definitely belongs up there.

9. I think we need a tongue-hance!

[Sorry, with this pic, what you see is what you get... - Ed.]

10. Anyone know of a way to donate to wildlife rescue organizations there?

11. This tragedy is gutting me. I have nothing but awe for these resilient and generous people. The picture says all. But my heart is broken for the people AND for wildlife. That area looked lush and uptopian once, and now they’ve all lost this place.

12. What a tender and touching moment.
    I’ve been thinking about all the wildlife and pets that have also perished in these fires. It’s just heartbreaking for everyone concerned.

13. Marie — nature bounces back from wildfires. It’s built into the life cycle. So, that much will be OK, at least.

14. I hope they take him somewhere cuz without vegetation, the koala is kinda… doomed. :feels like crying:

15. OH! I read more and found out Sam the Koala has been rescued. Ouf!

16. This is the most heartbreaking thing I’ve seen in a long time. My heart goes out to all the people and animals in the disaster areas. I hope the situation improves as soon as possible.

It’s raining right now where I live, I wish I could take some of it to help the fuzzy babies cool down over there :)

17. If anyone would like to give to help the wildlife you can donate through this website :

If you can, please do.

Cheers!

18. DONATE HERE: http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/news_bushfires.htm

The msnbc article said: “The Royal Society for the Protection of Animals said it was establishing shelters to care for thousands of pets and livestock affected by the fires.”

19. berthaservant says:

Yay! I can comment again!

ResQte tag, please. :-)

20. I just donated to the Australian Red Cross using the link Meg put in her post! It was quick and secure, and thanks to the favorable exchange rate, I could afford to be a bit more generous.

If you can afford it, please consider donating to the Australian Red Cross or the Salvation Army; here’s the Salvation Army link for international donations:

21. I just melted into a big puddle of goo. That has got to be one of the sweetest, most touching photos I’ve ever seen. Just as I believe there’s an extra-hot corner of hell reserved for people that hurt animals, I’m just as sure that there’s a special place in heaven for those that love and help them.

Sorry. I’ve got to go wipe my eyes and blow my nose now.

22. scooterpants says:

oh this is so terribly sad, i feel so awful for them.
    how will they live after the fires? all the forest is gone and they cant all be taken to rehab! poor little koalas, and all of the other little forest animals what about the rest!?
    such a nice fireman picture thou, firemen are the best. :)

23. I just noticed the submitter’s name…that isn’t Michael K of dListed fame, is it???

24. Oh thos epoor animals out there. They must be and have been so afraid. I am happy this koala survived.

25. I was under the impression that koalas were vicious (that’s what my fiance said when I asked if I could have one anyway!) But how cute and sweet is this one?!

WANT.

26. Janet in Cambridge says:

Sam, turns out, is a “she.” Yes, they can be kinda cranky, but with singed paws and a thirst and no home, I’d be just as grateful as this little creature.

27. Janet in Cambridge says:

The worst part about this fire is that it’s a crime scene. They believe it to be arson.

28. made me cry.

29. oh cool! so glad this picture and story made it.

Michael K is teh awesome, no doubt ’bout that, but I’m sure there were many many many Cuteporters who sent this in – me one of the multitudes.

30. It’s nice to read about a happy ending in the midst of so many bad ones… Yay for firefighters!

Thanks to those of you who posted links for donations. I’m on my way to the Red Cross donation website after I press the “Post” button.

31. I am from Victoria Australia … These lil guys are so special to us its so sad to see them injured i realy dont want to think how many animals have left us… So many people had to leave their own pets behind :(
    Just so tragic..It is great to see the word is getting out about the animals and soon they will be on the road to recovery and a new home

32. What a terrible tragedy, I’m so glad to see this moment of completely adorable kindness in the middle of so much devastation.

My heart goes out to our family (human and furred) Down Under.

33. Not surprised to see I wasn’t the only one to submit this. Please also consider donating to
    http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/index.php to help with rescue efforts
    in the wake of the devastating wildfires.

34. Gail (the first one) says:

Thanks for links, peeps! I donated to the RSPCA and the Red Cross. I hope everyone will send a few bucks their way, if you have any to spare…..

35. Doh!! If I’d have bothered to read carefully, I’d have known immediately that this IS from Michael K of dListed. LOVE him!

36. The whole situation is tragic, for the people and the animals, but this just made me weep. Koalas are so slow, they wouldn’t stand a chance in the face of the fast moving fires…I have to try to be happy that some were saved, I guess. Meanwhile, I’ve donated too, and hope we get to hear more good news from down under about humans and animals alike.

37. thank you from an australian to those who care so much about our country – we are so grateful for your thoughts, kind words, and the fact that some of you have donated your own funds to the appeals – you are touching people’s hearts. bless you all.

38. Yay DListed! Yay CO!!
    That photo just melts my heart. Poor animals :( I hope as many are saved as possible.

39. Hey guys – remember, if you donate from the US, your dollar goes that little bit further when it gets here!
    I’m just glad this little lady survived, and am sad for the many others that didn’t. This kind of thing rocks my whole country when it happens, but brings people together.

40. Oh, wow… to think that he’d take a moment out from all that horror to help a poor li’l koala… sniff…

Hero.

41. omg. I’ve just googled the latest fire wildlife stories. They don’t even know the extent of it yet. Wildlife has been devastated. And to think a part of it is arson!?
    This is awful, heartbreaking. I’m so sorry Aussies.

42. I knew CO would come through with this story, and with ways to help! Yay! I’m sure you were deluged with submishes, including mine. I’ve send the video and the story on to friends in Australia who really needed the lift it brought. Tomorrow, I’m going to try to get my company to match the donations made by employees for these causes, wish me luck! We have a good track record of this sort of thing — and sometimes, they even match two to one in a big crisis! Think good thoughts.

And I think this should be listed under Interspecies Snorgling. Look at that little paw nestled in that big hand…. That’s a snorgle in my book!

43. Helen in Melbourne says:

One of the local Melbourne newspapers, the Herald Sun, has the latest pictures of Sam recovering (note the bandaged paws):

The CFA (Country Fire Authority) volunteer is also allowing the photo to be sold, with all proceeds going to the CFA. They’re only $A20 each, so order here:

44. Another Aussie here thanking people for their thoughts and donations – it is still too hard to comprehend the vastness of this (human caused)tragedy and its impact on people and our wonderful wildlife

45. Julie – great grab of the video from Oz. Thanx!

This story is a massive heart-tugger, and the paw-in-hand action is priceless.

46. Hey Sherb – hang in there. Oz is a great country and you have 300 million friends here in the USA.

We’ll do what we can to help.

47. D-Listed kicks koala booty!

48. Tongue-hance! Tongue-hance! Tongue-hance!

49. So glad to see people are donating to help animals like this adorable koala!

Donate here:
    Wildlife Victoria: http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=43
    RSPCA Victoria: http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/news_bushfires.htm

50. I looked at that picture for 2 seconds, burst into tears, and donated. I feel terribly for all those affected, and the poor little burnt pawed koala. :'(

51. i'm a giver says:

If you make a donation, remember that $30 in Australian dollars is only $20 US. Don’t be stingy!

52. i'm a giver says:

53. i'm a giver says:

54. i'm a giver says:

55. i'm a giver says:

56. i'm a giver says:

57. I had a fleeting thought–not sure if it is possible, but I’m really interested in going to Australia to help with the wildlife rescue. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do this? (I have been itching to visit Australia for ages and I really want to help out…)

-Michelle from the US

58. I just read an article about this on the Associated Press and one of the rescue shelter said this about sweet thing about little “Sam”: “She is lovely – very docile – and she has already got an admirer. A male koala keeps putting his arms around her.”

I love that there are other koalas at the shelter giving her hugs and helping her feel better. Poor little thing.

59. Ooops. So sorry for the typos in that post. Hit post before I finished proofing…

60. I visited Victoria in March of last year and I remember our tour guide telling us about the bushfires and how dangerous they could be. :( So sad to see all the damage that’s happened!

61. Juniper Jupiter says:

Good vibes and good wishes to the Aussie folx! I can’t imagine the loss you guys are going thru right now…I have NEVER lost anything thru fire before (knock on wood) let alone lost anybody thru fire, so right I’m keeping my fingers crossed here in America!

(Cute Koally, BTW!)

62. What an adorable little friend. I can’t decide which I want more. A koala or a panda.

OK, I’ve decided.

One of each.

63. wannadance says:

okay, i donated and i cried and i loved the vid. now, let’s go to OZ and help our friends bail out of this. people need houses rebuilt, medical care, animal rescue, refoliation (is that a word?).

here she goes, wheeling off into the wine-dark sea for the long chair ride to australia….never could be called a chicken, hope i don’t rust along the way…

64. I’m a Victorian and all I can say is has been heart wrenching to watch devastation unfold every hour, the loss of human life is so tragic and behind that we have the loss the native animals – it just breaks my heart. It’s so lovely to see this has touched you all abroad and so wonderful that you have put through donations. It is also very heartwarming and overwhelming to see the help for these little guys – there are pics in today’s paper of bandaged paws of very sweet possums and Koalas.

65. I just watched the video and now have tears in my eyes. It reminds me of the Bible verse about giving a drink of water to “the least of these.” Kindness to animals will, I believe, be rewarded in Heaven.

66. Vic from Victoria says:

As soon as I saw this pic yesterday I knew it would pop up on CO – massive thanks to those who have donated money and those who send their best wishes. We need a lot of both right now. The toll on human life and property has been huge, but there’s no numbers available on animals. Not just wildlife, but pets and farm animals.

Thanks again.

67. Another one I saw (yesterday?) and thought of CO. Soooo heartmelting…glad to read the poor baby is ok.

68. Here’s a video of the guy finding him, and then feeding him the water. So gorgeous, but heartbreaking at the same time.

FYI – Koalas don’t drink water. They get their fluids from eucalyptus leaves from the trees. So think how dehydrated he must have been!

69. The bush regenerates surprisingly fast after a fire – about three days after a fire in my area there was a lot of fresh grass for the wallabies, and fresh leaf on the trees for the Koalas. It is a worry though that the fire was so intense even our Eucalypts (which are designed for fires) may be too damaged to survive. The worst affected areas though, sadly, not a lot of animals have survived at all :(
    The wildlife carers around Australia are all supporting each other and even those carers who lost EVERYTHING in the fires are still caring for injured wildlife. http://www.ozarkwild.org/news.php

70. They are saying we could have lost up to 1 million native animals. Don’t forget the livestock and pets.
    Most animals would not have survived the ferocity of the fire.

71. I cried when I saw this photo. The traumatized, hurt, thirsty koala and the kindhearted man who shared his water with the fuzzy little guy. Breaks my heard to think that there are so many animals who were hurt…..next thought…where’s he going to get some food? :(

72. THEO, thank you, sweets..I see that, but it’ll be a good, long while, won’t it? Plus this was most likely arson and not a natural disaster, so that’s a huge kick to humanity, yea?

73. Someone start assembling that Sexy Men Saving Animals calendar at once!

74. There’s some video of the fireman and the koala here:

75. donations can be sent to

76. Tracy from Oz says:

Despite the horror that some of the fires were deliberately lit! some good may come out of it with ploice investigating info for 1 possible arsonist :) http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/750028/police-investigating-arson-reports

Thanks to everyone who has/will offer support.
    Sadly, the human death toll is expected to pass 300 and I know the wildlife/domestic pet toll will surpass that :(

77. I love that pic of the possum with the blue booties.

Poor little one. Looks like he just wants to curl up somewhere and wait for the pain meds to kick in.

78. Theres also some utubulars of the poor darling

79. Strewth mate, I’m drier than a possums posterior.

80. aww….how come we dont has koalas in America. we dont have any cool cuddly animals….

81. Michelle S. says:

I adore this photo. :)

But wtfxorz is that Turtlesale ad? hahaha weird.

82. Another Aussie here. Thank you everyone for your kind comments and donations. It’s actually estimated that a million native animals may have died:

Please help support the organisations already linked here if you can.

83. I live in Melbourne Australia, within a couple hours, at most, of the bushfires that hit on “Black Saturday”, 7 Feb. I noticed a comment someone wrote about how to donate to wildlife donation organizations. Just go to this link, and it will put you straight to the Victoria Bushfire homepage of the RSPCA. http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_news/news_bushfires.htm
    We love our little “Sam the Koala”in Australia…not to mention the heros of this devastating tragedy…the CFA (Country Fire Authority). Being an American resident of Australia, I have to say the only other time I’ve seen this “community spirit”has been after 11 Sept. I love Australia and it’s spirit. And I love America and it’s spirit.

84. And >where’s< the COXCU of the tongue?

85. Healsville in Victoria! I was there twenty years ago. Never forgot the constant “binging” of the bell wrens. All best wishes and cooling thoughts for the peeps and the furry ones.

86. To all our Aussie friens:
    My heart goes out to you! I know many others here in the U.S. and around the world feel the same and are making contributions to help you recover from this tragedy. The Land Down Under will pull through!

As for the picture: So sweet and touching!

87. Cute but sad pic of the koala with bandaged paws:

88. ::dabs eyes:: Oh, boy. That’s a tear jerker.

89. That man is a hero in my book!! :-D

90. I love the name of the firefighter who rescued this little cutie — his name is David Tree!

My heart goes out to all the poor animals that are now homeless. I know nature bounces back, but living in Houston where Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc last fall, I know that it takes time to come back. I pray that many people will help the animals until their natural habitat is once again able to sustain them.

91. I want to hug the koala and the fireman!

92. Amongst all of this, I can’t help but have the sneaking feeling that Koalas are more sentient than anyone new…

That is some strong filmage there, thanks so much for posting it.

My heart goes out to all who mourn and suffer. I’m praying for a swift and complete recovery for you all.

93. Kristabelle says:

I can hardly bear to comment, this makes me so sad!
    You are in my heart, my Aussie friends.

94. Check out msn.com…there’s a story about Sam and her new boyfriend Bob (also rescued from the fires)…they spend the day hugging eachother. Sadly no pics of them hugging.

95. This picture and the thought of all the koalas that didn’t make it made my husband cry while sober, which is really saying something.

96. You can find links to MANY animal rescue groups that are working in the Victoria fires here:

I just donated to WRAP, “a self-funded, volunteer based, not-for-profit organisation that provides for the rescue, care and rehabilitation of native wildlife throughout Victoria.”: http://www.wrap.org.au/

97. Donating now. In memory of MY huggy Bob (who would have hugged koalas in a manly way) who would have his arms around me now if he could. *tears pouring down face*

98. HRHQueenCat says:

Blessings to all those who’ve posted about the plight of the Aussie bushfires …

the donation links are truly appreciated – I’ve sent them to all my overseas & Australian friends – as well as to Catster which is a powerful voice in the pet/animal community all over the world …

the innocent & helpless wildlife and pets who’ve been injured will receive the best of care, as they’re located, with the help of caring people world-wide;

monies donated for humans is over the $21 million mark, but creatures have been mostly overlooked or forgotten & it’s only by publishing heartbreaking pics & videos like Sam the koala and her “rough diamond” rescuer that this has come to light & donations will come pouring in;

humans can rebuild their homes within a few months, but forests can’t be rebuilt, and this makes me weep …

((((( hugss and thank-you’s ))))) to Meg & to all the CuteOverloaders who’ve responded to the devastion here in Australia

99. If you like pics of cute and thirsty koalas, check out this gallery: http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,22613,5037290-5014156,00.html

Poor little guys! The toll of those wildfires is truly horrific, for animals and people alike. I hope they find whoever’s responsible and prosecute the heck out of ‘em.

100. MSNBC has a story about Sam and a picture of her new friend Bob putting a paw around her. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29123220/

101. Check here for a devastatingly-adorable photo of the reunited koala and firefighter:

102. Yes, they have been reunited!!

103. HRHQueenCat says:

update on peoples’ care & generosity:

Australians continue to give generously to the bushfire appeal with $44.5 million raised at 4.30pm (AEDT) on Wednesday.

Red Cross CEO Robert Tickner said he was staggered and uplifted by the response.

“This is what it is all about,” he said.

“The power of humanity – people coming together to help other people.”

Nearly 9,000 people have sought refuge in what have become refugee camps since the bushfire crisis began.

The blazes have destroyed 1,033 homes.

104. I’m from Victoria, & I’ve had both family and friends trapped by these massive fire complexes. Some have been killed. Thank-you so much to everyone donating to the Australian Red Cross! Your donation will be helping people to buy food, clothes, and to rebuild their homes. If any other Aussies read this, it’s a great idea to give blood too. That’ll help those currently lying in burn wards at The Alfred & St Vincent Hospitals.

105. Sent a donation to the Australian Red Cross this morning…sending good will and hopeful thoughts to all those suffering through this, too.

106. HRHQueenCat says:

sorry for all my posts, but my head is so full of the Australian bushfires news that I forget things …

another uber-important way to donate is to give part of yourself – donate blood …

all Aussies can do this !!!

I’ve been a blood donor for several years (have a rare blood type: O RH- which only 2% of people in the world have) and have trouble keeping up my iron levels, but today, it’s off to the Red Cross Blood Bank to to my bit …

again, thank you, everybody, for helping Australia

107. Apparently Sam is now inseparable with Bob, the male koala.

108. Whoa… I looked up from this screen to the Today Show on TV… and they’re interviewing David Tree. o_O

Awesome story. It’s always good to see something positive like this amid the chaos and pain of the fires. Here’s hoping they get the fires out entirely very soon.

109. If Cute Overload and DListed had a baby, what would it look like?

110. Northern Tigress says:

This picture, in full color, was on the front page of my local newspaper this week.

Goodness knows that the news media needs more cuteness!

111. Hey CO gods, you should post the pic of that possum and the links to donate… it would get even more people (those who don’t read the comments) to help out!

112. A photo slide show of Sam and another koala at the rescue center:

113. Ok, I’m totally crying.

114. *sniff*

for those looking for a koala tongue close up, check out the video.

115. great picture, this picture is the best of the bests

116. I’m from Australia and I’d just like to thank all of you for all your kind thoughts and donations. You don’t understand what it means to all of us over here to know that the whole world is behind us. And sam the koala (pictured here) is doing really well and she’s expected to make a full recovery. this firefighter named her sam after his daughter who is the one who took the video. cheers mates :)