The Year In Cute: Rules To Live By

The C.O. Insticute was busy in 2008, as our ace field researchers unearthed four new Rules of Cuteness!  This material will be on the final exam, peeps, so pay attention:

Rule of Cuteness #38: If you have a curved, plump belleh, it’s cute.

Now with bonus tail-handle for extra convenient something-or-other!

Rule of Cuteness #39: Nuzzable mini-chests are cute.

Also, having a head the size of a Macy's parade balloon is nice.

Rule of Cuteness #40: Finding (and sleeping in) a sunbeam is cute.

Remember, that's sunbeam as in sunlight, not Sunbeam as in blender.

Rule of Cuteness #41: Exposing a vulnerable area is cute.

HAH!  I combine all four rules -- I WIN!

Our thanks to Cuteologists Marlies W., Kevin T., Susanna R., Erin L. for their tireless efforts in advancing the frontiers of Teh Qte.

Comments

1. What a year this is shaping up to be at CO!! The Qte is coming at a RELENTLESS pace! It’s just BAM! BOOM!

2. I disagree with rulle #38. I have a curved, plump belleh and it’s NOT cute.

3. Hover-text on last photo – priceless!

4. ScoutsMom says:

Decca, As a fellow human with a curved, plump belly I agree with you – it is definitely not cute on us. I guess it has to be covered in fur to be cute.

On second thought, a fur covered belly wouldn’t be too cute on a human either. I guess it’s something only cute animals can pull off. Darn!

5. I have been tossing around what kind of puppy to get pic 2 is a strong argument for the Boston.
    Decca the curved belly is ony cute for babies and four legged ones.

6. LOL Decca I have the same problem.

IS there some rule about lying upside down paws out streched making you Uber Cute Because I think it is a win!!!

7. LOL Triple Jinxes

8. Hmmm…I know it’s already been said, but I have to agree.

*I* have a curved belleh.

:-(

I’m pretty sure it’s not cute.

9. The rays of sunshine coming down on the kitteh belleh in pic 4 is making the whole scene look holy. I can hear a chorus of angels off to the side singing “Ahhhhhhh” as they proclaim the cute of cat.

10. Peeps: Since a lot of you were interested in the story I wrote about service monkeys and horses, which Meg posted about the other day, I thought I’d let you know, there’s been some breaking news related to it. I just got some leaked government documents about the new ADA regulations, which are more restrictive than people had originally feared. It will ban all service animals except dogs. I’ve posted info about it here, and links to various ways you can speak out against the ban if you’re like: http://scienceblogs.com/culturedish/2009/01/newsflash_doj_ada_changes_leak.php

11. all four rules, plus jelly bean toes!

That kitteh looks like he an angel come down on da sunbeam! aww.

12. I think the rules should apply both to critters and humans … in which case I’d be adorable. :D

13. catloveschanel says:

I just went through a training at work and it made my brain hurt.

I would rather work at the Insticute and discover important new phenomenons.

I must say that #41.

So much depends on
    exposing vulnerable areas
    on a purple plaid couch
    dappled in sunbeams.

is in a class that defies
    categorization.

[see william carlos williams]

14. curved plump belleh is cute only if you have a little curled tailio! Erm, hm. No that wouldn’t work on a human either!

15. catloveschanel says:

oh, I always submit too soon.

So #41 is phenomenon, not a rule.

phenomenon do do do do do

16. Trabb's Boy says:

Now don’t be hatin’ on the bellies, folks. Love yourselves and *pthttphthh* our society’s narrow views of beauty. And cute.

P.S. Quadrafecta plus toe beans! That last guy should be the CO mascot.

17. I still think the cutest bit of Rule 41 Cat is the soft nibbly toebeans.

18. Seven Paws says:

Ah, but you had excellent poetic quotage, cat.

19. I am of the curved-belly too. Perhaps we should decree that our bellehs are cute too. Or else.

20. P.S. Mind you, a little curved belly on a girl is nice. Flat bellehs on girls just ain’t right, ya know.

But mine isn’t little.

Siiiiiiiiiiigh.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled Qte.

21. I have a curved belleh, and people I tell you it is TEH QTE! My husband lurves it. He asked me to stop dieting before I lost it all, and he told me that the round belleh reminds him of ancient temple statues of dancing girls- which, if you look close, almost always have round curved bellehs! So there.

22. Gail (the first one) says:

@Zanna: Your husband sounds like a wonderful man! Does he have a single brother (for the younger girls) or maybe an uncle (for us older ones)????

23. Gail (the first one) says:

Meanwhile, since we’re in a 2008 recap mood, how about a review of the new Categories added in 2008?

24. NO, Rule #38 does NOT apply to beer bellehs, no matter how much you disagree, Sparky!

25. As the kitten mother of a bebe with a curved plump belleh, I totally agree.

BUT…unfortunately, on a kitten, it’s usually a sign of worms. :(

26. NotAnotherMilo says:

all the bellehs are cute!! I recommend bellydancing as a good route to learning to love your human curved belly.

Kitty and puppy bellies can’t be beat. Both my boys had them as kittens, and neither ever had worms. They were just well fed.
    Probably a little too well fed. (chargrined grin)

27. PlumpBebeKittehBellehLover says:

Must… rub… kitteh… belleh! Must…. gently… pinch… kitteh…. paw… paws….!

28. berthaservant says:

Love the wcw reference chanel!

I have a furry round curved belleh. Less than I used ta. But I don’t hear no one in my house complainin’.*

*(technically true)

#4 cat totally ftw.

29. totalee puppy says:

#41 looks like “The Chosen
    Kitty”…whom we are with,
    please…oh well…

30. Aw!!!! Although… I thought #38 was leading up to something like “When the kitteh is as fluffy as the chair.” or “When the chair is as fluffy as the kitteh.” ;)

31. I would like to make a motion to reword Rule #39 to include something along the lines of If you are cute and fuzzy a round belleh is cute.

Not so cute on humans, period. Otherwise – carry on. Good work. ;)

32. When’s the eekzamination? Must start my revision.

33. Janeyferr says:

i have a big curved belleh and i’m cute. it’s a bit fuzzy at the moment, must do some plucking..

34. Transpogue says:

Curved bellehs on humans are v v cute, so all you human belleh nuffers…p’shaw!!

35. cats 'r us says:

Does rule #38 apply to people? Because it really should :)

36. Vampy, Mike, Silent Meow how are you today? I send healing vibes with this comment!

I’m slowly making my round belleh smaller, and I am very happy for it! None of my clothes fit anymore, but it is better than heart attattack, anyday! Or worms, for that matter-ewww, I think I’m sorry I typed that…nahh.

I’m truly captured by the idea of the Periodic Table of the Qte.

Have a wonderful and Qte-filled day, Peeps!

37. Thanks for the clarification in the hovertext on the third photo. :D Can’t be too careful with those Sunbeams.

38. #41 Kitteh does indeed win.

39. hmm i DO have a curved plump belleh… but it might be cute on some humans, it definately isnt on me! but i must admit, i have inherited it from my dad…. *shifty eyes*

40. rule #1 all of u commenters are homos