Baby turtle practices “release wave”

Before his release into the wild, this behbeh tur-tur shows us his "later beeyatches!" flipper wave.

Nicely done, Mr. Tur-Tur. See you back on the beach when you weigh 800 pounds.

Late! [Followed by 45 minutes of 'ehn' sounds crawling towards water]

turtletrip-6
and turtletrip-2 by smallflightlessbird sent in by Bobbular A.

Comments

1. I believe I can fly,
    I believe I can touch the sky,
    I think about it every night and day,
    Spread my wings and fly away,
    I believe I can soar…

2. As cute as that little dude is, I feel like he might be better off on the ground.

OMG! That’s my first nuff. Sorta.

3. Boomer's Babysitter says:

Sweet! Reminds me of a wind-up tub toy. Get those flippers going, drop in water, and watch him go!

4. aww. maybe he’s not used to the air and thinks he’s in water. he’s adorable! i’m glad he got an escort into the water.

5. Flippity flippity flippity flippity *bloop* Lookitimgo!

6. Och! Won’t someone save me from the wee turtle!

7. Awwww, I love him, flip more

8. baby sea turtles are so cute, but also kinda sad… if you ever get to watch them enter the ocean, they just seem so tiny and overmatched :X

hope you’re swimming happily somewhere little dude!

9. Lunch Lady says:

So sweet bebe !!!
    ehn! ehn! must.. reach… water!… ehn!
    brothers!… ehn! wait… for… me! EHN!!!

10. From one who just helped to a health evaluation on a Green Sea Turtle the other day… lemme tell ya… they are STRONG! Put my back out!

11. “Good afternoon. We’re gonna have a great jump today. Okay, first crank a hard cutback as you hit the wall. There’s a screaming bottom curve, so watch out. Remember: rip it, roll it, and punch it”

12. Ride the wave little Turtle! Hope you’re swimming around somewhere happily

13. So leetle! Awww :)

14. I would like to point out that the second pic wasn’t there when I posted my other post.

And also the animators from ‘Finding Nemo’ obvy took a long time studying these guys from up close. This lil dude could have been one of those babies in the movie.

15. OH YOU ARE SOOO CUTE!!!!

16. platedlizard says:

EEEEE! *sound of brain frying* Soooo qte.

17. Horray for the turtles! The cutest thing since….the last really cute thing you posted.

18. Fly, fly, fly…little turtle (in a non-creepy, non-Hannibal Lecter kind of way).

19. Oh man, I didn’t know they were _that_ tiny!!!! He is truffle-sized. Wrap me up a dozen in a heart-shaped box, s’il vous plait!

That said, anyone else out there see “The Blue Planet,” namely the scene with all the um, spectators, waiting for the baby turtles to hatch? Traumatizing!

20. Brandi7920 says:

Auwww I LOFS leetle tur-tur! Those were the keyootest jumping jacks evar!

21. AuntieMame says:

EEEEEEHHHHHNNNNNN!

22. totalee puppy says:

I especially liked the flipper wave.

23. Brittany Anderson says:

I released these when I was in Mexico, specifically in the city of Tecolutla in the state of Veracruz… it was amazing!

24. I looove baby sea turtles! Having previously seen footage of little turtles doing this move, I’ve dubbed it the “Baby Turtle Dance,” so when I saw this I was overjoyed. Dance, baby turtle!

25. Y M C A!

26. Love the little leatherback, and, internets nerd that I am, I also love the incredibly crisp & smooth video quality of that clip. YouTube is crying in its beer.

27. Squeeee!!!! Baby turtlage! I think I just died of cute.

28. OH-EM-GEEEE. Want! Want!!! SO CUTE!

29. berthaservant says:

We musical theatre people refer to this move as “jazz hands.” (I still miss you, Bob Fosse).

30. Swim well, little turtlekins. May the warm currents be with you!
    Beautiful pics.

31. I feel like we should have an “ehn!” category. Who’s with me?

32. I feel like if Mr. TurTur’s name was Rudolph, the video soundtrack would be this:

33. @Kat
    I’m with you! “Ehn!” deserves its own category.

34. Turtalur wigglage always the best way to start the day o.o

35. He can come live in our tub, and I’ll feed him treats…I do love turtles.

36. coolmtnman says:

All six of the Atlantic sea turtles are endangered or threatened

37. michellemybelle says:

I LOVE sea turtles! I want to pick up each little baby and give it a smooch and help it to the water. Good luck little guys!

38. Flap flap flap!

39. That’s right Lisa…

“It’s like he’s trying to speak to me! I know it! Look, you’re really cute, but I can’t understand what you’re saying!”

lol

40. Oh yes, the flipper flappage is just like the lil dude up top in the movie, yes they did their studying when making it, for sure!

That’s my fave part of the whole movie, lol. And I am 33 years old :P

41. Who knew being ‘flipped’ off could be so cute. Bon voyage little turtle.

42. Release the Turtle: : criminal Scrambles through the swamp to hide but the turtle like an unerring person seeking missile found him. Back to the slammer.

43. Who let the turtles out
    Who who who who
    Who let the turtle out who who who

44. truffles for sea birds!

awww, sorry.

45. bookmonstercats says:

I lof his grey scalitude. So perfectly marked. Go little dude.

46. Good by widdle baby turtle!

47. my sister was recently (last summer) in Puerto Rico, doing some special work with the monkeys and sea turtles. She got to see a mama turtle burrying her eggs up close, the pictures she took were so cool! This guy is sooo tiny and adorable, I love him!!!

48. Zoo Atlanta has announced plans to kill the ever-popular Panda Cam after the first of the year. The Panda Cam is a valuable feature and something that many people like to use as a stress reliever during the day. We are asking Zoo Atlanta to find some other place to find the money they need to cut from their budget in order to keep the Panda Cam.

49. Save the Atlanta Zoo Panda Cam says:
  50. MiaMiaPantsonFia says:

Baby sea turtles have a reflex after they are hatched and moving toward the ocean to immediately start flipping their flippers to swim as soon as they don’t feel the sand beneath them. It’s so they can swim out to the North American gyrus to eat and grow. They also instinctually know that they must feel themselves go up, back, down, and then forward with the waves when they are close to shore, so they can get out far. They are pretty awesome.

51. Audrey Leigh says:

I wants a sea turtle!

On an irrelevant note, I found this awesome video online…

52. totalee puppy says:

nice one, lisa.

53. Let’s try & stay on-topic with the external URLs, peeps.

54. Wow! The quality on that clip is outstanding. Just gotta say.

I can’t even find the proper words to express my glee over this little most prosh turtle. How do you put such a cutie down and send him off? These people are a lot more professional than I could ever be.

55. libbyxsaurus says:

i LOVEEEE turtles :DDD

he actually looks like he would fly away if those fingers weren’t holding him. :D

56. Oh fer poseidon’s sake…Adorable, yes, but…Don’t pick up sea turtles in the wild!!! You lessen their already extremely slim chance of survival. OK, I nuffed. Sue me.

57. . . . back atcha, little one.

58. puttheturtledown!!!! says:

Ok. i love this site. i can even deal with dogs dressed as frogs and such, even though that is cruel (its more of a psychological cruelty, and no worse than what our parents did to us and we turned out ok). but people, pulease. do not endanger the lives of animals so that we can go oooooh i love turtles… sew cuuuute! what’s next, is someone going to post a video of a squirming premie plucked out of an incubator and dangled as it mewls pathetically to make us go awwwwww… thinking caps on cutesters. please.

59. Cute maybe…astoundingly beautiful, yes. Thanks for the symbol of hope.

60. I am so glad that turtles are getting the recognition they deserve. They really give bunnehs a run for their disapproving money. They have a constant scowl on their tiny faces. But it’s a totally cute scowl! =D

and puttheturtledown…yes, I do believe some people would awww at a dangling premie. Then they’d put it back in the incubator and it would live happily ever after, just like this turtle. So calm down. ;-)

61. wow, i get to promote my favorite youtube musician again! that’s twice in the past few days and it’s totally valid too.

i mean seriously this song fits pretty darn well with this post. :)

62. whoaYOUMUSTCHILL says:

dear “puttheturtledown!!!!” -
    that response was SO inappropriate/ridiculous/demented. you really need to relax. that turtle was being held for a very short time, not jarred or jostled around, just gently held. CHILL.

63. What kind of camera did you use? It has such great picture.

64. Persephone says:

For those concerned about the turtle’s safety:

The person holding the turtle is working for a turtle conservation group that actually does keep the eggs in incubators and release them into the wild when it’s time. I’m sure they know what they’re doing.

My grandfather worked for one of these organizations in FL when he was retired, before he passed away. I sent this video to my grandmother to share my happy memories of him. Thank you, cuteoverload. :)