The Capybara Family Hits the Mall

"OK, kids, we’ve got a busy day planned.  From eight until eleven, we hit the department stores, and I’ll need you running interference for me at the sale tables.  Next, I need to stop by Just Hammers and get something for your dad.  At noon, we stop at the food court, and then you’re all getting your picture taken with Santa; try not to freak out like last year, Timmy.  All right, people — let’s move out!"

They're a lean, mean shopping MACHINE!

Try to stay out of their way, Brinke G.

Comments

1. I dare say this falls under matchingks as well, though that seems to be unavoidable.

I wonder what they do when people say “you look just like your dad”?

2. Oh! Bleen!

3. biscuithead says:

Aw!
    LOVE these guys!
    Leetle eeeeears + twitchy schnozzles.

CO could always do with more Capybara pics.
    And more monkeys.
    And more mice.

Ok, I’ll shut up now.

4. “wump”

5. biscuithead says:

You okay Theo?

6. ChibiKitten says:

Adora-bibble!

I love capybaras. :D

Now, we just need more maras and chinchillas, and I’ll be the happiest camper in the world. :)

7. Boomer's Babysitter says:

Love those dainty feets!

8. Foot court?

[D'oh!! That should have read "food court," obviously. I feex-ed eet. -- Mike]

9. I love their determined little expressions :)

10. Wow, do they look determined! I’d definitely steer clear if I saw that group marching through Macy’s lookin’ like that. I wonder where mom’s hiding the credit cards.

11. Teho, are you into children’s books by any chance?

[Bingo! You've earned a gold star and a ticket to Bill Peet's Wump World. - Ed.]

12. I won’t go to Macy’s any more more more,
    There’s a family of capybaras at the door door door.

13. PS They do look like wumps, don’t they?

14. Foot court? Well, they do seem to be short on shoes…

15. ChibiKitten, don’t forget tapirs… they are severely underestimated in the cute department!
    Click my name to see what I mean!

16. YAY!!! more capybaras! more more! (claps hands)

17. They all have the same expression…they are on a mission!

18. Oh my god….capybaras! I mean….capybaras! I love capybaras. They’re the coolest. Thank you, thank you, thank you, CO for giving me capybaras. I shall now retire to a fainting couch with my smelling salts and loosen my corset.

(Capybaras!!!)

19. I love the prancingk lead foots!

20. Daphne Moss says:

I love just about anything posted by Mike Not the Other Mike. You are hilarious! Do you write for a living?

21. biscuithead says:

@Teho
    @Theresa

Okay, what’s a “wump”?

22. lucy's mommeh says:

Looks like guinea pigs with long legs.
    LOVE IT!

23. cellarmouse says:

I knew Theo spent a profitable childhood! Thank your caregiver and thank your librarian and thank Bill Peet.

24. fish eye no miko says:

This is why I do my Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving and/or online…
    Though if all holiday shoppers were as cute as these guys, it might not be so bad… ^_^

25. OMG. My mom had that same expression when we entered Belk’s today! That’s totally frightening.

26. momof2kitties says:

Capyboppy!

27. Yes, they look a bit like guinea pigs, but in fact they are HUGE, often weighting over 160 pounds.

28. Gail (the first one) says:

29. fish eye no miko says:

Gail (the first one) said: “That doesn’t look like shopping, it looks like a military Special Ops reconnaisance mission!!”

Holiday shopping, military mission; to-may-to, to-mah-to…

30. It’s like they’re doing the “cool walk”…

31. those capybaras are serious business. look at their eyes, all “we will do what we want, WHEN we want!”, even the one in the front.

32. Gail (the first one) says:

@fish eye no miko: You are so right!!

33. AuntieMame says:

It’s okay, Timmy. I never liked getting my picture made with Santa, either.

34. This picture= so cute!
    The caption= hilarious!

35. Oh A sad note, A Wall-Mart employ was killed today by the rush of Chrismas shoppers, they aren’t sure how. Do you think seeing these guys coming could have do it?

36. Capybaras!

(Sorry, just had to say that again.)

37. berthaservant says:

I think these dudes were deleted from that final battle scene in the last Lord of the Rings movie…

38. biscuithead says:

@Theresa
    I just looked at the Wump book cover.
    A wump looks like a cross between a mouse + Jimmy Durante.

@Derby
    They’re doing a “cool walk”?
    Like that “Reservoir Dogs” scene where the guys are strutting down the street?

39. Whatever kind of day I’ve had, NTMTOM’s posts always
    cheer me up.

40. Oh, so it’s not black friday it’s Capybara Friday!

41. Oh jeez those poor lil’ capybaras will get trampled : ( They need to find a nice tall person to give them a piggy back ride.

42. lol, that reminded me of meerkats. cute little things!

43. Wow they look intent!!

44. Cute post and Wumps but unfortunate timing. Hope Ntmtom posted this before the Walmart stampede hit the news.

Today is Don’t Buy Anything Day, over here. Greed is what killed the poor Walmart employee and greed is what got our world into its present fix… OK, I’m off the soapbox now.

Cute wumpybara family.

45. I like to think if the crazed crowds saw this bunch coming, they’d have parted like the Red Sea. All hail the capybara clan!

46. Hey, I’ve eaten those!

They’re way cuter than tastier, though, so I don’t recommend them as food. It’s better to just take pictures.

47. The beadiness in the mom’s eye suggests their plan is quite devious. Stay out of their way!

48. wannadance says:

are these lemmings?

49. capybara san

50. Pooh — greed is what got the *economy* into its current fix. That’s not the whole enchilada, y’know.

51. LMBO!!
    That is TOO FUNNEH!
    they’re a lean,mean shopping machine.
    LOLLL!

52. Y’know, I keep misreading the title as “The Capybara Family Hits the Wall”.

I may need help.

53. Did you know that the Pope declared the water-loving capybara a fish so that devout Catholics could roast ‘em over a spit and eat ‘em during Lent? Bad luck capys.

I once saw one of these displayed at a carnival freak show as a “100 pound rat”.

54. “Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don’t think they exist.” — Westley, The Princess Bride

55. Westley was NOT the Princess Bride. [hoity-toity tooter hoist] Hhmf.

56. Capybaras are only interested in malls ’cause they often have enormous fountains they can swim in.

57. Do Capybaras wear yarmulkes too? The Pope does.

58. Is anyone else getting steely disapproval from these beasties?

They make Rabbits look merely dyspeptic.

59. Thanks for a great hover
    text-“They’re a lean, mean,
    shopping machine.”

60. @golfwidow: Princess Bride’s name was “Buttercup,” if I remember right.
    Oh, and Teho, “As you wish.”

61. Ahh. AHH. My favorite animal ever! I saw one at the LA County Fair this year. It was epic.