Ssssh, a peek at an internal newsletter at Turner Broadcasting

We just got word the insane-in-membrane folks over at the Turner Broadcasting London office created a very important internal memo. It’s a double spread, in the Ted newsletter, celebrating employee’s animals. Amazingly, they got the fonts to match and even mimicked our voice… see fer yerselfs!

The_ted_co_tribute_100

View Wait, Sender-Inner Kasia, you guys named your internal newsletter "Ted"!? OMG! That means we must do a C.O. Newsletter named "Meg"!

[UPDATE -- you can now click here to see a MUCH larger version! - Ed.]

Comments

1. I *knew* I liked this guy.

2. omg kewwll!

3. Ooh ooh ooh hey do you think if we asked very politely, he’d buy us the Space Needle?? Or, I dunno, some nifty space in San Fran. Or even Wyoming; heck, we could be neighbors with The Daily Coyote.

I dream big. It’s a Ted thing. (Though mostly I go by “Theo”.)

4. I want that turtle shot in the upper left corner. Eet ees mine — geeve eet to meeeee! (I can already hear the Barry White music playing in the background.)

5. I like the Git Yer Butt To Work kitty, myself.

6. As usual, I didn’t get the memo.
    Bleen?

7. Nope. Just a blank screen.
    Baroo?

8. Wow.

I still don’t like the Braves, though.

9. Ted Turner gets my eternal respect for creating Turner Classic Movies. That is all.

10. I don’t see anything!!! And the comments are killing me!! What could eet beeeeeeee????

11. Also getting a blank black screen in a pop-up window… Firefox 2.0 on OS X here.
    Baroo?

12. :(

13. FF – can’t see anything :(

14. **Tilts head** BAROOO?

15. I had to click the blank space to see it. If anyone else is missing it, I recommend clicking the blank space. It’s great.

16. Broken link. Clicking on it doesn’t work.

17. OK, I think I’ve fixed the weirdness with the photos. They should load OK now.

18. How do you get it big enough to read? I zoom in and the text goes all fuzzy and unreadable.

19. Can it get any bigger? I definitely can’t read any of the text. :(

20. Yitzysmommie says:

Imitayshe is the sincerest form of flattery!

21. berthaservant says:

NTMTOM — does his early advocacy of colorization detract at all from the implementation of TCM?

And yeah, I can’t really read the fine print….would love to get this in blow-uppable form.

22. @berthaservant: Turner seems to have abandoned colorization, and everything on TCM is in its original color state, as far as I can see.

23. Whoa.
    This is “Lauri”. I just signed in with the new “Typepad” “Typekey” whatever-whatever and now it says I am signed in as “JimmyDoug’s Mom”.

Sorry, JimmyDoug’s mom. There’s apparently a glitch. I just wanted to say that this Ted Newsletter is a totally great tribute to Meg’s genius! I’ll sign out now and I hope I come back as me, next time. *waves*

24. Oh, whew…I’m back. :)

25. Gail (the first one) says:

Wow, I’m jealous! Our company newsletter is dreck, in comparison!

I just read a great article about Ted….I actually liked him better than I ever have. And you’re right, NTMTOM, Turner Classics is the BEST!!

26. totalee puppy says:

Welcome back, Lauri! *puppy
    waves*

27. @ berthaservant & NTMTOM: TCM is undoubtedly one of the great broadcasters and archivists of film, and as for the colorization, we all have our follies. Happily, Angelica Huston and the French courts offered to help them get back on the right track to appreciating artistic integrity so that we can unabashedly appreciate such things as their good natured homage to the CO. ;)

28. berthaservant says:

I owe the content of my dissertation to TCM (and for the record was very anti-colorization).

I still wanna be able to read the theeeng!

29. Sorry, no higher resolution was available.

30. am i the only geek who’s thinking “intellectual property theft.” maybe they licensed it?

oh crap, does this make me a nuff? never mind, then….

31. Newlee — the logo & background graphics are ours, sure, but the rest of it isn’t — like, all the photos & text.

32. That means we must do a C.O. Newsletter named “Meg”!

And about time!

[...and the format will look like this: http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp - Ed.]

33. i’m no expert but i think if you don’t protect the logo and graphics you can be waiving rights to them. you can bet ted protects his.

34. Newlee, you can’t lose copyright even if you don’t defend it, so that’s out. You’re probably thinking of trademarks.

As for trademarking, it’s pretty clear it’s a parody not meant to infringe. Since it is being used internally, and in no way connected to anything commercial or selling any product, it’s probably safe.

Trademark parody cases are based mainly off of consumer confusion – if that “parody” is really just an attempt to mislead consumers. In this case that isn’t likely because A.)Ted’s is not for sale and B.)the clearly marked tribute makes it obvious he’s not trying to mislead anyone into thinking it’s the real thing.

If it became a part of common generic vernacular like Kleenex or Xerox then that would be something to worry about. For example, if when people said “Your dog is so cute, let’s cute overload it!” they actually just meant “Post a picture on my blog.” But that’s such a long phrase that I don’t think anyone needs to worry much about that.

And I can’t believe I just typed all that when we should all be looking at fuzzy animals and going DAAAAWWWW!

35. I wanna read it :D how can we see a larger version!??

36. I suppose I should’ve made this clear: I personally (*personally*! Me as an individual person!) don’t mind if Ted Turner’s London folks use our format respectfully for an internal memo. They haven’t “ripped off” any content, and it looks like fun.

37. Oi Peeps. Meg sent me the source image of that newsletter, so I think I’ve taken care of the requests for a larger (readable) version now. Just, you know, expect a HUGE freakin’ file.

38. Gail (the first one) says:

THEO, YOU ARE AWESOME-EST!!!
    (yes, I am aware I am shouting)

This was fantastic BEFORE I could read it….now to see what a Valentine to CO it really is—-Peeps of Turner Broadcasting-London ROCK!!!

39. I LOF EEET!

These people spend way too much (er, just enough?) time reading CO.

And the aminals are from all over the world — England, Spain, S. Africa.

Lotta tuxedo cats there, I approve, as well as the big orange kitteh who’s jetted in to stay with the sender-inner.

Now, picture if you will, J.E. Jones intoning:

“THIS… is CNN. It’s anerable.”

40. Maybe JE Jones could be the pronouncing voice on the CO Glossary: “QTE, I am your father…”

41. Where can I submish my application, Mr. McTurnersons?

42. I need to work with these peeps – there’s a rabbit *and* a polo pony in their pet newsletter thingy…

43. I dl’d the beeg version and I keep trying to get at the hovertext. Blergh.

And whoever put this thing together clearly is a longtime regular.

44. WickedWendy says:

Wow!~ That is totally coolio! Everyone lufs ya Meg!

45. Kristabelle says:

I love it! That is so excellent! Makes me want to do one at MY work. It could work, ya know… my company already thinks I’m animal crazy. What an awesome homage to CO!!!!

46. THIS is the kind of work newsletter I can get behind. Seriously! And I really looove that they acknowledge that people are checking out CO at work (duh!) and encourage people to bookmark it. Way to go, Meg and team – making the world a cuter place, one internal newsletter at a time if necessary!

47. That is teh AWESOME.

I interned at Turner in Atlanta, and worked at The WB in LA (noIhadnothingtodowiththeFROG). This is so Time Warner. I love it.

When I was an intern at Turner, they called Ted “Big T.” “You just missed Big T, he came around with Hulk Hogan!” Eh, yeah, it was a long time ago, but it was still pretty awesome! :)