G’day, Cousin

Crikey!  According to Australian researchers, humans and kangaroos shared a common ancestor 150 million years ago and have similar sections of DNA.  "We thought they’d be completely scrambled, but they’re not," said one expert.  "There is great chunks of the human genome which is sitting right there in the kangaroo genome."  Well, this helps explain Yahoo Serious.

1837429497_1516e5e02b_b

Side-eyed suspicious kangaroo from Sender-Inner Shawn P.

Comments

1. That’s interesting! I had no idea! I love this little guy, with his ears all which way and his serious, pensive face! Clearly in need of a nose beep!

2. Does this give me the excuse to kick anyone I want to?

3. Felicityanne says:

He looks a little rueful…

4. Von Zeppelin says:

So, we share DNA with ‘roos? That would explain my cousin Irving’s really big feet.

5. warrior rabbit says:

We’re related to giant mice? (Sylvester, Hippety Hopper…anyone? anyone?)

6. warrior rabbit says:

Oh! Jeez. Well played, Felicityanne. Well played.

7. LOL! When I saw that picture for some reason my mind went to Different Strokes (which is currenting showing on an “oldies but goodies” channel in my area) and the “Whatcha lookin’ at, Willis?” look from Arnold. Hehe. Awww, such a cute wittle roo. Heck we should all be thrilled we share some genes with such cuteness!

8. Cute!!

9. I hop this isn’t true.

10. Maybe now creationists will get over themselves.

In one big hop!

11. Felicityanne- nice one!

Warrior rabbit
    “Oh, Father-the shame, the shame!”

Another large-eared critter- ahhhhhh.

12. I can’t read that info, then look at the ‘roo and not feel slightly frightened o_0

13. He’s all “see?”.

14. Considering that we have a common ancestor with chimpanzees about 5 million years ago, 150 million years sounds pretty far removed indeed. And I’m not really sure I would trust an “expert” who says “There is great chunks.” Or one who thinks it’s interesting that we share a common ancestor with kangaroos, when you remember that all life on the planet shares a common ancestor.

That said, this is a cutie joey and I want him.

15. LMAO @ Yahoo Serious. I forgot about that dewd.

16. Felictyanne – shouldn’t that be “roo-ful”?

17. Kangaroos are soulless zombies who would snatch your veggie pie out of your hand as soon as look at you.

18. PS Anyone remember “The Far Side”? “Just jump, you fool! You don’t have to say ‘Boing Boing Boing’!”

19. PPS Fresca, “great chunks” is an Aussie biological technical term, like “She’s a beaut,” and “A gawjus spicimin.”

20. AuntieMame says:

Uh…I don’t think *anything* explains Yahoo Serious.

21. Cute little guy.

Lets not get into a creationist/evolutionist discussion…you know how it will end, and we won’t like it. Lets just leave things be, and leave mischief-making to the group over at the Panda Box post.

22. Great capshions!

23. Hear hear, CoffeeCup. That’s been done to death. I say we bring back the Tastes Great/Less Filling discussion!

…actually no.

24. Somewhat shifty eye kangaroo is the win.

25. No, Theo, I think it’s interesting. My own point of view has evolved during my life, and I have moved from the Less Filling camp, decisively to the Tastes
    Great camp.

26. Awww, I love his little expreshon! Of course, somehow I feel that anything Aussie is either cute or cool…except of course the funnel web spider, which they can keep to themselves…

27. Theresa, do I sense a little bitterness?

28. (NTMTOM hastily scrambles to delete upcoming funnel web spider post …)

29. Awww, he’s got the “watchoo talkin’ ’bout, Wills” face.

30. @Jezebel, not at all. The Tastes Great Camp got me purely on merit. In fact, I am so much in the Tastes Great Camp now that I would only drink light beer if some accidentally dripped into my mouth if someone poured some on me while I was passed out.

31. PS The Tastes Great Camp is taking applications for next summer.

32. He’s totally ¬.¬

33. Wouldn’t any day be a “g’day” if you were snorgling this dewd? And OMGishewearingayellowhoodie?!?

34. Well now, this gives a fine explanation about some people I know. Combative, jumpy and their pouches smell awful.

35. Gack! Teh wee fuzzy noggin and whiskerlicious muzzlepuff!

*dies*

36. momof2kitties says:

LOL @ Katrina!

I dunno. I think, all things considered, I’d rather be related to this little dude than, say, a funnel web spider.

37. i shall call u booga ^_^

38. Tank Girl — suddenly I’m feeling a little inadequate.

39. AuntieMame says:

What CuteOverload needs to post is a photo that solves once for all whether Balrogs have wings…

40. Squee! I’m so excited to be part roo!

41. That is a serious shifty-eye. His lips look soft.

42. Gail (the first one) says:

@Theresa: I still remember your story and laugh when I say “Naow, Idna” to myself!!!

Meanwhile, little ‘roo—d’ya mind if we call ya Bruce?

43. @Gail, you’re a virry bad ghel.

44. this looks like a
    “Roo with a ‘tude” LOL

45. This doesn’t come as a huge surprise to me, writing a dissertation on breastfeeding I found out that kangaroo milk is the most similar to human breastmilk….

46. I actually think the roo kind of looks like Snoopy. I mean, that’s a Snoopy type of expression, when he’s acknowledging his own cleverness to us. Is that weird? I just don’t want to talk about beer or breast milk.

47. asdklfjasd! says:

We all trace back to some common ancestor.. four legs, 5 fingers or paws, 2 beady eyes, 2 ears… Just watch animal planet and you’ll see a little of yourself in wolves, rabbits and even cows… Yes we have bigger brains but basic emotions are still there! Look at that kangaroo!! If it could speak english it would say.. “hey wassup”

48. satinbubbles says:

I always knew i was part kangaroo…and everyone said i was wrong AND crazy! well.. WHO’S WRONG NOW???!?

49. He just doesn’t look real! With that loook in his eye and that mouff, and whiskers….thump!

50. Yes Theresa!!

51. Mmm! Joey-in-the-blanket, my favorite!! Pass the hot mustard!

52. Those eyes! Those eyes!

I’m under their power.

53. There is a reason I’m a roo!
    I maybe not be recollecting this correctly, but I think I saw a show about DNA & we are to a large percentage connected to many animals & plants…. and that our DNA is not that different from a bannana!

54. He’s saying, “heh, check it out, I have my human well trained!”

55. Part Roo and Proud of it !:) says:

He looks like Jeff Goldblum.

56. Part Roo: LOL yes, but can he play the piano?

57. Space Cowgirl says:

Quite possibly the most nommable ears ever featured on CO.

Which may or may not be because he DOES look like Jeff Goldblum. Good catch, PartRoo.

58. Aww, why couldn’t we share the pouch gene? It would be so convenient!

59. totalee puppy says:

Samantha-LOL…We could use the pouch gene…

60. Baby kangaroo disapproves of us. I can tell.

61. If that’s true then it calls into question the “out of Africa” theory because supposedly humans arrived in Australia less than 100,000 years ago on little rafts made from trees. The same DNA sequences could likely be found in all mammals, right? If not, then we didn’t all come out of Africa.

62. oh. humans and mice diverged from a common ancestor only 70 million yrs ago, so yes the same sequence can likely be found in any mammal, not just the kangaroo or mouse or human. Do the same test on a bear or rabbit in North America. Cute picture, anyway

63. Ahh we Humans are so arrogant… I say it is we who have kangaroo DNA..

; )

64. I saw this little guy and all I could think was, “the dude abides.”

65. I want one…

66. LoL, nice Yahoo Serious reference!