We Take You Now to King Neptune Memorial Speedway

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Atlantianapolis 500, and if you’ve just joined us, it’s been a thrilling race so far.  In a stunning upset, odds-on favorite Mario Clamdretti dropped out of the race when his 300-seahorsepower racer crashed on the far turn.  And as we enter the final laps, I see that current leader Ridley McFlatback is getting the signal from his pit crew to come in for service …

Check my left flipper; it's running a little hot.

I hear he’s got endorsement deals with Shell Oil AND Turtle Wax, Brinke G.

// UPDATE — photo by Mike Roberts, like the caption says — and you can buy a print here! – Ed. //

Comments

1. Dude, don’t hurl on the shell, I just had it waxed. Sweet!

2. staticgirl says:

That’s kinda cute and also a stunning photograph!

3. Yay!! I love turtles. Those yellow fishies are pretty.

4. Turtle looks cranky! But still an amazing picture.

5. Some of the ghoti are smiling

6. Biscuitz4Bearz says:

Looks like the underwater version of Hugh Hefner.

7. Great picture! Just how far along into those 300 miles are they now, NOMTOM? Great pit crew!

8. bookmonstercats says:

LOL, NOMTOM. New category – Smilinks all over face?

9. Oooh! I want to be kissed by a meelion little fissshie moufs!

10. Are those groupies or grouper?

11. @Biscuitz4Bearz: Exactly! :-D

What a great pic!

12. fish eye no miko says:

jayjay said: “Some of the ghoti are smiling”

Cute. ^_^

13. Love the caption…I can totally hear that ‘zztt zztt’ sound that the guns make that the pit guys use to take the tires off and put the new ones on.

14. (the original) Mel says:

The official drink of the Atlantianapolis 500 is TANG.

Harharhar.

Mike, you are too clever by half.

15. biscuithead says:

“When E.F. Hutton talks…”

16. beautiful picture and terrific caption

17. If I were that turtle being swarmed by tangs, my first reaction would be to go “What’s up, little fishy dudes?” Followed closely by “OH GOD! I’m blind! I can only see yellow!”

18. Boomer's Babysitter says:

Turtle’s in for that new spa treatment, having dead skin chewed off by fish… Ewww! I wish I hadn’t thought of that.

19. Mmm…tangy!

20. Awww. Symbiosis at its cutest. :)

21. They’re like ever so many golden chorus girls, fluttering around the hard-shelled headliner!

22. They also kind of look like daffodils with eyes.

23. berthasevant says:

I just want to point out the rather stunning blue fishie at the left of the frame. It’s a subtle blue, but a beautiful contrast to his yellow friends.

24. Ooooh! PRETTY!!

25. Oh wow.. there’s two blue fishie to the left! I didn’t see them, the contrast rocks.

26. GREAT PICTURE!!THE COLORS AND SUBJECTS ARE GREAT

27. Capt' Tightpants says:

bwah ha ha! I love you, NTMTOM.

28. The photo says (c) 2007 Mike Roberts. Is that you, NTMTOM? Did you take this photo yourself? Wow, it’s beautiful!

29. One fish two fish yellow fish blue fish!

30. It’s like a cross between Finding Nemo and Cars.

(Don’t tell Disney about this one.)

(On second thought, tell Disney, collect massive royalties.)

31. @bunnyhunny: Nope, I didn’t take that picture.

32. NomTom in full effect, no doubt, but it looks like the CO commenting populace is in fine form this evening too… Pixar refs, “ghoti”, grouper groupies… daffodils with eyes… oh, and that’s not Hugh Hefner, Biscuitz — that’s Plastron Kutcher.

33. “Shell Oil AND Turtle Wax.”
    Brilliant. It’s why I keep coming back…

34. Love the yellow fish nubular nose action.

35. Rudolph the dark blue fishy…, Will the yellow ones let him play yellow Tang games?

36. I love turtles. Can’t seem to convince my boyfreind to let me get one as a pet.

Love the color contrast

37. Hi all!

Thanks for the comments. The shot is mine and I have no idea how it got here. You can view it and other turtle shots here:

38. Thanks, Mike. Updated.

39. that turtle looks pissed at those fish sorta like the expression u get were some little creep comes and takes ur ice cream and urr chained to a fence so u cant have it …………….that was a weird way of putting it i realise

40. Actually, that’s the only expression turtles have. His mood at the time was one of total bliss. Much like when we get a massage. ;)